Backrests and seats? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 29th, 2007, 5:27 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Backrests and seats?

Who was it said they had a Backup Backrest for sale while we were at Coffs?
Send me a PM, I'm maybe interested.
Daza was also going to post info about the little backrest he has...would be good to know more about it.

I've also decided I need a better seat, so desperately starting the search for a replacement. Anyone know of a spare LT seat pan anywhere in Oz? Any year would do. There's a local motorcycle seat trimmer in Qld that might do the job, but haven't found a Sydney based one....... yet!

Am email querying Rick Mayer also 'cause I like the look of the seat posture-wise, but I think it may be a little pricey to get shipped out here and trying to find a spare pan is difficult. Will do price comparisons if I get an answer back.

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 4:01 am

Hi Chris
If you are going with Rick for the seat, you don't need a spare as he will do an exchange service. Pay an extra holding deposit, and he uses one of the pans he has there, then refunds the deposit when you send your seat back to him.
As for the backrest, have a feeling it was bully1 from Perth that had it.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:53 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Thanks Brian.
Yeah, saw RM has seat pans on their website, but US$500 deposit until you return yours! I haven't had any luck getting a response from them as yet by emails, although haven't tried ringing. I've put a note into Beemerboneyard looking for a 2nd hand seat, and once I get hold of that, I'll give them a call directly and see if I can get them that way. Failing that, I'll see if someone in the vicinity might help out with organising it.
Someone else posted a link to discussions on another site about some "problems" dealing with them, so that's a little unsettling.

Thought it may have been Bully with the b/rest, just couldn't remember for sure!
thanks mate

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 2:00 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Positive note

I've just checked my emails and there's a response from Rick! Maybe they just never got my email first time round a few months back. Happy now I can start the process of getting a new seat!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 6:48 am

Chris,
Speak to John Moorehouse ergo seats here in Brisbane (Capalaba).
If you speak to John over the phone and tell him what you hope to achieve, he can work from there.

Road transport couriers like TNT can have your seat in Brisbane teh next day, and John can do the basic mods, and then send it back for you to try out, before covering it.

Th eother alternative is to plan a trip up here to Brisbane and John can probably do the seat while you, so long as you plan ahead with him.

Johns just down the road from me here (next suburb). He redone my ST1100 seat and it was great. The LT seat is fine for my butt though.

Here's his contact number

John R Moorhouse
3239 Old Cleveland Road, Capalaba 4157
Telephone contact: (07) 3245 3979

Website
http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~maddoggy/

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #6 of 9 Old Jun 10th, 2007, 4:26 am

Seat

I had my GSA seat altered by Mick at MJM in Goulburn. Did a great job and good to deal with. Price was okay and including postage seat was completed and returned within 10 days.
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 6:50 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Barry / Antz

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Main concern is I can't seem to find anyone that's done an LT seat here before. One guy from Brissy I've had a response from said he'd probably lose the heating element, but wasn't sure, he hadn't done an LT seat but thought he could do it like the RM pics. I don't really want to be a test case for our local lads.
I think I'll try to stick with RM, cause I like the way he makes it more like a "bucket" style seat, with the extra outer support. Figure he's probably got more seats right than he's stuffed up by now, so I guess the extra cost will be like paying "insurance".
Thanks again for your ideas

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 9 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 1:03 am

Cool seat upholsterer from wayyyyyyyyy back

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
<snip>
I've also decided I need a better seat, so desperately starting the search for a replacement. Anyone know of a spare LT seat pan anywhere in Oz? Any year would do. There's a local motorcycle seat trimmer in Qld that might do the job, but haven't found a Sydney based one....... yet!

<snip>
cheers
Afternoon CWS,
Hmmmmm took enough pix there of the LT shuffle outside the Hogs Breath....I was up around there on the Sunday....(Saturday SWMO was busy yapping to friends in Port Maqu.
I got my seat for my everlasting 1978 Yammy XS1100E redone by a guy called John Carter hmmmm let me see if I can find his phone number here in the white pages....hang on a minute..
Dah dah.....

Carter J W136 Chifley St Wetherill Park 2164(02) 9604 7709

He had his whole rear yard set up to do motorcycle seats, leather, sponge, seat pans from hundreds of bikes....he also had a Leadwing outfit in the garage that he flew to Perth and bought and then rode it back.

This guy did a really great job on my XS, even stiched in the original cross hatching....this was about 10-12 years ago maybe that I got this done (10-12 years?? had Beryl almost 8 years now, (154,000 on the clock) so maybe longer than 12 years ago???

Hmmm maybe I should keep this number on my mobile phone....

cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 2:01 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
cheers Phil, thanks for the info.

We missed ya up there at the muster....
so think.... S N O W Y R I D E

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in