very unhappy camper!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old May 13th, 2007, 6:48 am Thread Starter

very unhappy camper!!!

bought bike at 22,000 ks; at 30,000 ks the clutch crapped itself $2,000. rebuild, now at 36,000ks the piece of crap has chewed up the rear bevel drive bearing, $850 minimum. Just how piss weak are BMWs? And now my real problem is WHAT IS NEXT TO S%*T IT SELF? DEFINITELY MY LAST BMW......

02 BMW K1200LT. 02 Aprilia Caponord. 76 BMW R90/6.

Last edited by onions; May 27th, 2007 at 6:54 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old May 13th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4462
DEFINITELY MY LAST BMW......
Sorry to hear about your problems, I know I'd be really unhappy in those circumstances. Haven't had those issues with my 02 - yet - but chances are good those things will happen to me too based on the general feedback. Still, all in all, enjoy the many good things about the bike so plan on keeping it, fixing it, and enjoying it for many years. More importantly, its the only bike my SO will ride with me on all day, so I don't have much of a choice when it comes right down to whether or not I keep the LT, since I love riding / being with her and if I had to make a choice, it would be to ride less if she couldn't enjoy it with me. Doesn't mean I don't want a 2nd bike for those solo trips, but the LT stays until somebody else comes out with something better than they have so far.

I hope that once you have these repairs done, the LT will regain its favor with you by being reliable for many years and you can experience the good things that you hoped for when you brought it.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #3 of 29 Old May 13th, 2007, 1:37 pm

Surely a GoldWing forum would be a much better place for you to vent . . . doncha think mate?

The fact is...things break. Fix them and move on. You might serve yourself much better by buying new products with a warranty. You bought used, and you got bit.

And this is coming from a guy whose 10-month old GT broke in the middle of nowhere Nevada (the desert). But I had a warranty and free towing which made my experience much more tolerable than yours.

Just some food for thought.

post #4 of 29 Old May 13th, 2007, 3:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemmons
Sounds like you piss and crap a lot...
Ken, you've only been here 5 minutes, and you come out with statements like that. I'm shocked, . . . . . . I was gonna say the same thing !! . . . . If you buy complex lump, like the LT, s^*t happens - you either buy it new and let the waranty suffer or you get it cheap and hope you don't suffer.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 Old May 13th, 2007, 5:37 pm

G'day Dave,
Sorry to hear of your woe's with the LT. When this kind of thing happens, its perfectly understandable that you get somewhat "pissed" about it, particularly if you've had a good run with your previous bikes, then this stuff goes wrong with your first BMW.

I've got a 99 model that I purchased about 3 and a bit years ago with 38k on it. Its now got closer to 80k on it and I haven't had any serious problems at all. The radio packed it in once due to getting cought out in torrential rain, but other than that, my bikes run pretty much faultlessly since owning it, and I flog my LT pretty hard, and change my oils every 15,000k (but I use the best oils available).

At days end you can either do as others have suggested, and buy a new bike so that your covered by the factory warranty for a year or two knowing your going to loose out big time on the deprecitation. Or, you can buy a second-hand bike with low k's for about half the price of a new one, and be prepared to spend a few grand here and there if a few things go wrong.

From what you say you've spent so far, (about $3,000 on repairs), I'd imagine your still way in front in real terms, compared to the depreciation you'd have to cop on a new bike.

So chin up O'l son it ain't all that bad. Get the LT fixed and just enjoy riding it. I also recommend you use Pm Lubricants right through the entire drive train. See the thread on the "Good oil".

Good luck with the repairs!

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #6 of 29 Old May 13th, 2007, 6:10 pm

Sorry to hear you got bit.

That bike is probably good for many more miles, or, sell it so the next bloke can enjoy it.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 29 Old May 13th, 2007, 6:31 pm
cws

Garage
Hi Dave. Love/hate relationship mate, can be a bit like marriage. But if you love riding it, get it fixed and keep going with it. (Oh, if marriage were so simple... )
On the flip side, how many more parts will you have to change before you can consider it a "new" bike .
Hope we still see you up the coast?

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 29 Old May 13th, 2007, 8:33 pm

G'day Dave

Very sorry to hear the bad news, I have a 04/05 Lt The clutch slave went at 13000km, rear shock was also replaced, fortunately these were under warranty. Looking at the Ks when you bought your bike it is nearly new, as for members commments on buying new we need to get realistic, not everyone can. A bike with only 22000km on the clock is to me only just run In. The LT is a great bike and like most other bikes on the market it does have it's problems. As clutches and drive bearings have been recognised problems in the past maybe it would be wise to contact BMW and see whether a compromise can be made.

Good Luck

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia
post #9 of 29 Old May 14th, 2007, 5:41 am

Greetings Dave.

I can't begin to tell you how sorry I feel for you and your disappointing LT. It would be a shame that once you've spent such good money on it that you would consider selling it. What is happening is just a case of bad luck, poor past maintenance or a combination of both.

My '99 I purchased for AU$1600,00 with 36,000km on the clock. It has performed perfectly for just over a year now that I have had it. It's just the luck of the draw. Yes, it is dissapointing and you are bloody annoyed now and all you see is good money after bad disappearing.

Hang in there, get it repaired and you WILL end up with an LT you can genuinely enjoy and be proud of.

Count to ten, and look at the big picture. I know it's hard but everyone here on the forum knows you can do it.....after all what are the alternatives....a Honda? Yeah right.

Kindest regards

Paul Harrington
SA

E: [email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #10 of 29 Old May 14th, 2007, 6:40 am

Dave... mate, what can I say... bugger! hang in there, they're bloody good when they're going.......

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anywayÖ..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #11 of 29 Old May 14th, 2007, 7:10 am

Quote:
bought bike at 22,000 ks; at 30,000 ks the clutch crapped itself $2,000. rebuild, now at 36,000ks the piece of crap has chewed up the rear bevel drive bearing, $850 minimum. Just how piss weak are BMWs? And now my real problem is WHAT IS NEXT TO SHIT IT SELF? DEFINITELY MY LAST BMW......
probably the ABS at what 3-4k

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #12 of 29 Old May 14th, 2007, 7:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
G'day Dave

Very sorry to hear the bad news, I have a 04/05 Lt The clutch slave went at 13000km, rear shock was also replaced, fortunately these were under warranty. Looking at the Ks when you bought your bike it is nearly new, as for members commments on buying new we need to get realistic, not everyone can. A bike with only 22000km on the clock is to me only just run In. The LT is a great bike and like most other bikes on the market it does have it's problems. As clutches and drive bearings have been recognised problems in the past maybe it would be wise to contact BMW and see whether a compromise can be made.

Good Luck

a 2002 with only 22000 km, would worry me more than a 99 with 150km

i do not like older low mileage vehicles unless I'm sure it had been drove some distance ever week or so

that merely comes from experience working on cars and bikes about my whole life,
low mile vehicles tend to be parked and forgot about, letting everything rust, then when you actually ride them everything gets chewed up from the rust
post #13 of 29 Old May 14th, 2007, 7:34 am

I donít think anyone answered his question, Just how piss weak are BMWs. Well Dave let me give is a try. I been riding BMWís for years and they use to be about the best you could buy. But now in my opinion they are not so good. The main problem is the company will not own up to issues that plague the bikes. They simply ignore the owners and dealers, they donít care. This usually doesnít work in business, but BMW owners are passionate about there bikes and put up with it. I donít think itís going to change anytime soon.
Also I have been a member of this board for years and some will defend this bike no matter what happens, to the point they even brag about how much they have to spend to keep it going, or the trouble they have go through. They say that it is part of owning a BMW motorcycle, adds to the adventure.
Oh well, I am with you brother, you have the right to be pissed and donít let anyone fool you, if you would have bought new, most likely you would be having the same problems, just not having to pay for it. To me that doesnít make it any more ok.
post #14 of 29 Old May 14th, 2007, 8:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNEYM
I donít think anyone answered his question, Just how piss weak are BMWs. Well Dave let me give is a try. I been riding BMWís for years and they use to be about the best you could buy. But now in my opinion they are not so good. The main problem is the company will not own up to issues that plague the bikes. They simply ignore the owners and dealers, they donít care. This usually doesnít work in business, but BMW owners are passionate about there bikes and put up with it. I donít think itís going to change anytime soon.
Also I have been a member of this board for years and some will defend this bike no matter what happens, to the point they even brag about how much they have to spend to keep it going, or the trouble they have go through. They say that it is part of owning a BMW motorcycle, adds to the adventure.
Oh well, I am with you brother, you have the right to be pissed and donít let anyone fool you, if you would have bought new, most likely you would be having the same problems, just not having to pay for it. To me that doesnít make it any more ok.
"to the point they even brag about how much they have to spend to keep it going"

I thought the only ones who did that were Porsche Owners, seriously it is like bragging rights with them .......

- he who dies with the most expensive repair costs wins!

Tom
post #15 of 29 Old May 14th, 2007, 5:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNEYM
Nonsence!
Every piece of mechanical equipment has the potential to break down. I've had a string of Jap bikes before teh LT, and they all gave me problems from time to time.

I think when you come along to any forum like this one, be it Honda, Yamaha or BMW, you generally find most discussion is about the negative aspects and experiences owners have had with their bikes.

Lets face it, how many of us come home from a great ride where everything has gone perfectly, and then get on this forum to tell everyone about how great the bike was going? But if we experience any kind of glitch in the bike, this is the first place we come to discuss the problem and seek a solution.

Because of that there is naturally going to be a relatively negative bias to the overall discussion topics, and a new prospective buyer could be forgiven for thinking the K1200LT is a piece of crap given that there are generally only "problems" discussed on the forum. (but hey, thats what the forums for).

When I had Honda's they needed maintanence and repairs just like my BMW does, and IMHO my LT beemer is no better, and no worse than the Honda in that respect, but it's heaps nicer to ride.

As for bragging aboout how much it costs to repair, can't say I've actually seen anyone do that here. Yes the costs are discussed, but BRAGGING? I don't think so.

In the end owners will form their own opinions of the LT based on their ownership experiences. My LT is my first BMW, and so far my ownership experience has been predomimantly positive and enjoyable. There is not another bike currently on the market that I'd choose to own in place of my LT.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #16 of 29 Old May 14th, 2007, 9:19 pm

Hey man bikes break, time to
1. Go on a rampant killing spree
2. Set up tech sessions with the other Aussie riders.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #17 of 29 Old May 14th, 2007, 10:03 pm
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Hey man bikes break, time to
(ignored first point)
2. Set up tech sessions with the other Aussie riders.
Rock
Hey Rock, checked out a map lately????
There's what, maybe 20 of us tops online here, in a land as big as continental USofA. Mate, we'd all have to take a weeks holiday to meet up for a 1 day tech session!!!! (hmmm, AGM coming up.....)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #18 of 29 Old May 15th, 2007, 2:01 am

Col H

I totally agree with your thoughts and philosophy Barry..
Like yourself, I too have owned many bikes over the years, and yes, they all have there faults..
I could go into great detail but won't bore you about my experiences recently regarding three (3) rear-end failures in under 10,000 klms.
Will post more details another time..

Hope to catch up with all you folks at the AGM next weekend.
Mobile 0418 578 048

Col

'58 Triumph Thunderbird
'81 Z750
'85 K100 RT
'02 K1200 LT
post #19 of 29 Old May 15th, 2007, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Hey Rock, checked out a map lately????
There's what, maybe 20 of us tops online here, in a land as big as continental USofA. Mate, we'd all have to take a weeks holiday to meet up for a 1 day tech session!!!! (hmmm, AGM coming up.....)
Okay, now we know what it takes, time to get planning. If anyone can pull it off you guys can. You got dogs that don't bark and big footed deer that can jump like 40' while carring babies in the pouch.
Had thought about a trip down under BUT---
After being kicked out of Canada and Mexico, I quit going to other countries. Maybe once they grow up, I'll start again
Rock

Rock

post #20 of 29 Old May 15th, 2007, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
After being kicked out of Canada and Mexico, I quit going to other countries. Maybe once they grow up, I'll start again.
Probably better said When you grow up it would be safe for you to travel out of country again.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #21 of 29 Old May 15th, 2007, 10:43 am

What's Next.

If the bike has not had annual service. The ABS Hyd servo unit is next.
The hyd fluid cannot be easily replaced by you and the servo unit gets gummed up and quits. ABS lights flashing. A $1900 part plus about 5hrs
labor. Don't ask me how I know!
post #22 of 29 Old May 15th, 2007, 5:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Probably better said When you grow up it would be safe for you to travel out of country again.
I'm pretty sure I ain't gonna get no bigger
Rock

Rock

post #23 of 29 Old May 29th, 2007, 5:46 pm

And I thought I'd never get rid of that bike!:=)
post #24 of 29 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 2:52 am Thread Starter

OK Col H......... give........... what the!!!! THREE?????
I am back on wheels again.......have been for four weeks went to AGM in coffs and then to gold coast for a week and home 4900 ks and all is well..........so far!!! This bike is fantastic on the road........if you can keep it there!!! but what else tows a trailer and behaves so well?

post #25 of 29 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 3:22 am
cws

Garage
Dave, is this you and the good lady at Hogs Breath???
Mate, if it is I didn't tweak to it to ask about the drive... got a little overexcited at the number of bikes/people we had there...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #26 of 29 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 3:43 am Thread Starter

Yep Chris that is me. Was that you making the public offer of corporate funding for a get together?

post #27 of 29 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 3:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Yep Chris that is me. Was that you making public the possible offer of corporate funding for a get together?
It is hard to remember who was who woops stuffed up the edit as a quote

post #28 of 29 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 6:38 am
cws

Garage
The fine young gentleman co-ordinating the donation offer was Kevin (keviconn). I was opposite him here (leaning against the wall). Daza is in front (closest to camera facing). ColH has his back to camera. Kevin, well half his head is in pic on left hand side...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #29 of 29 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 7:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col H
I totally agree with your thoughts and philosophy Barry..
Like yourself, I too have owned many bikes over the years, and yes, they all have there faults..
I could go into great detail but won't bore you about my experiences recently regarding three (3) rear-end failures in under 10,000 klms.
Will post more details another time..

Hope to catch up with all you folks at the AGM next weekend.
Mobile 0418 578 048

Col

'58 Triumph Thunderbird
'81 Z750
'85 K100 RT
'02 K1200 LT
i don't care who you are or what you ride, 3 rear ends dead in under 10km is just flat WRONG!, I would be really pissed, like iwas when I had all the abs problems that took at least 9 times to dealers to get fixed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in