The good oil on the "Good Oil" - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 5th, 2007, 11:40 pm Thread Starter

The good oil on the "Good Oil"

Just had my bike serviced ready for the AGM, and decided to use oil recommended by another member on this board.
Check this site - http://www.pmlubricants.com.au/pm_home.htm
After the service, we had about a 90km ride home, and my initial response is Very Impressed indeed! Immediately I noticed a reduction in vibration from the engine which at first I thought was just my imagination, but was soon confirmed by my wife riding pillion. By the time we were half way home, it was obvious the bike was just purring along with very little vibration being transferred through the frame, especially noticeable on the down-shift and back-off the throttle on approach to a corner.
Then there was the gear changes as well. So smooth and positive, no more "clunk" as I shift up or down, each gear just slipping in smoothly.
I will be interested to see how it feels on the longer ride to Coffs Harbour in two weeks.
PM Lubricants can ship to anywhere in Australia, and I for one will certainly be sending in another order when I need more oil.
For the 1200LT you will need to order PM403 for the engine and PM102 for the gearbox/rear diff.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 9th, 2007, 12:19 am

I echo Brians comments. PM is good stuff. We've used PM lubes in the heavy earthhmoving industry for a number of years with amazing results. I run it in both our cars (100 series Landcruiser and 2005 Falcon GT) as well as the LT with great results.

If your not already running your LT on PM lubricants, you should give it a try.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old May 10th, 2007, 2:42 am
cws

Garage
Reckon the dealers would put it in, Barry?
I'm up for a service on Tuesday....

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 9 Old May 10th, 2007, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Don't see why they would not. If you supply the oil and say "this is what I want", then they should use it.

Orange, NSW
Ulysses Member 32701
post #5 of 9 Old May 13th, 2007, 6:06 pm

Hi Chris,
Sorry I'm a bit late responding to your question.
As Brian has mentioned, I can''t see why the dealer would have any problems using PM lubes for the service. Its your bike after all, you decide what oild gets used. So long as its of a comparable viscocity for the application there won't be any warranty issues, but a call to your dealer will confirm that.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #6 of 9 Old May 13th, 2007, 6:19 pm
cws

Garage
Thanks Barry.
Think I've left it too late to consider this time, as it goes in tomorrow for service and new dampener.

Look forward to seeing you all at Coffs!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 9 Old May 14th, 2007, 6:48 am

Hi Chris,
Fair enough, but you could always order the oil and change it yourself after the service is done. I think the oil to do the whole lot (Engine g/box and diff) is less than $150 through PM.

Once its in there you can then just drop everything out at 15,000k's. In this application the PM oil would be good for at a minimum 40,000k's (with filter changes at 15,000k). The only reason I change my oils at 15,000k is because I have to drop the engine oil anyway to get the filter out. I do the g/box and rear drive at the same time just to keep a check on it, but the gearbox oil is good for 80,000k. At 15,000 it comes out clean as new, with no sludge or metal whatsoever.

BTW, I also slightly overfill the rear drive to get the oil up closer to that rear drive bearing. I fill the rear drive to the normal level, then spin the rear wheel backwards and pour an extra 100mls of oil in.

Some purists will say its a bad thing, but it hasn't caused me any problems (leaks, blown seals) in the last 40,000k's, and I haven't had any rear drive failures either. So I'll continue to overfill it a bit each time I service the rear drive.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #8 of 9 Old May 14th, 2007, 8:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryst1100
Hi Chris,
Fair enough, but you could always order the oil and change it yourself after the service is done. I think the oil to do the whole lot (Engine g/box and diff) is less than $150 through PM.
Barry
Way less than that Barry. 5 litres of PM403 for the engine = $48.95.
2.5 litres (the smallest it sells in so you will get two services from one bottle) of PM102 for the gearbox/diff = $32.45. Add about $10-$15 dollars for postage for under $100 total. Money well spent if it saves repair costs. They even threw in a free bottle of petrol conditioner.
I still cannot get over how much better my bike feels after useing this oil. I would never have thought that the sort of oil you use could make such a difference.

Orange, NSW
Ulysses Member 32701
post #9 of 9 Old May 14th, 2007, 4:06 pm

Hi Brian
Yes its certainly an excellent oil. Have you noticed whether your getting better fuel ecoonomy with your LT since changing oils? I know my range went from around 470k's to 510k's from a tank of fuel after changing oils.
Thats hwy cycle and sitting bang on 100kph one up. If I punt the bike along, then the figures drop back dramatically.

The results we've been getting from PM 102 in the earthmoving industry in applications like final drives where you need an extreme pressure oil to deal with the high torque loads have been very pleasing. Its because of those results I believe every LT would benefit from running the PM 102 in the rear drives, particularly given the rear drive assemblies seem prone to failures.

I wouldn't go as far as to say PM 102 can eliminate rear drive failures, but I do believe it can help reduce the chance of a failure, simply because of its superior lubrication properties.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in