G'day from a new LT owner - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up G'day from a new LT owner

G'day all

Names Big Dog (or David if my mum is around ) and have just recently purchased my first BMW, an '04 K1200LT Impala Brown. Was a demo model with only 1960 kms on the clock. Got a good deal on the '02 Yamaha V Star 1100 as trade so I'm laughing.

My beautiful wife decided that she was not comfortable on the crusier and ORDERED me to get another bike. Yes dear, my arm can be twisted further up my back....... We looked at the Goldwing (which is what she really wanted) but one of my Ulysses mates suggested the LT. After a test ride, we were both hooked. When we did the comparison, we were able to get a newer model BMW LT for the same price as a 7 year old wing. Much better comforts too.

I haf fully embraced der BMW lifeshtyle undt am now shpeaking mit ein Cherman aczent

A couple of questions though from the great wise ones here please.

In the workshop manual (free off the net, yay) it shows the route of the wiring harness but no mention of wiring colours. I'm going to fit a tow bar onto the bike and I'd like to know which wire is which when I install the trailer connection harness. Anyone have an idea where I can get something like this please? Google doesn't help too much

What is an HID?

Any other little tricks of the trade to make ownership of my Light Truck easier?

I have been quoted $250 for a minor service and $1000 for a major service (thank goodness I haven't even cracked 2500 kms yet). Do these prices sound reasonable to you blokes?

Looking forward to your replies and also looking forward to a long and tempestuous relationship with the bike.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 4:00 pm

G'day Big Dog,

Welcome to the LT world. I love how our better halfs want to visit bike shops and decide whats best. Pretty lucky. You are going to love riding this bike. I have just had my 20000km service recently and now heading towards the next one. $1000 for a major was the cost for mine, it's pretty steep.
HID are a light system that replaces your existing lights (not lense) they are quite bright and expensive but a worthwhile investment. Try a HID Google search for the info.
Can't help you with the trailer wiring.
This site is full of great info and I'm sure you will be guided shortly.

Ride safe

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia
post #3 of 12 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 4:12 pm

G'day Dave and welcome aboard! Congrats on the new bike too!
I fitted a tow bar to mine a few years ago and I'm afraid that my memory isn't that good anymore so I'll have to get back to you on the wiring of such...

HID = High Intensity Discharge. Without getting into the technical side of things (which I can't anyway ) These lights require high voltage to 'ignite' gas within the globe and provide an extremely bright light at a different temperature range than normal globes... You would have seen them in a number of the newer higher end market vehicles like BMW, Mercs etc...they have a bluey tinge to them. Once you have used them, there is no going back!

Unfortunately servicing can hurt the wallet. But like most things, if you find a good dealer, then largely you get what you pay for... Depending upon your own skills and availability of time (and interest) you could consider doing some of the servicing yourself... Once you get into it, it really isn't that difficult and is a great way to get to know your ride...

Speak soon and looking forward to hearing more about you and how you find your new ride!

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'

post #4 of 12 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 4:39 pm

Unfortunately, BMW does not include the wiring diagrams in the service manual for the bikes. But, your dealer can order the book, about $40 US. Many of us have it. Pretty indespensible if you plan to do much work on the bike yourself.

If you pull the tail light assembly (easy, two 10MM hex head screws, one each side just inside the rear of the side case openings) you can pretty easily determine the wire colors. On BMW cars and bikes, brown is always "earth", or battery negative.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 12 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 7:27 pm

Hi there Big Dog

I installed a Classic towbar just earlier this year. They sent a wiring diagram with the hitch (although did not use it in the end as it was not very clear) and I just wired it into the tail light assembly, was not very difficult at all. I used some piggy-back utiliux terminals to replace all the terminals in the tail light assembly, then just simply plugged the trailer wires onto the piggy-backs, was pretty easy.
To mount the hitch itself was very easy in the end. I thought at first I had to take the panniers off, but then realized it just went up inside the rails that the bottom of the panniers mount onto. Take out the four bolts there, slide the hitch up into place, use the four longer bolts provided and it's all done.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #6 of 12 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Pleased to be here

Thanks for the welcome blokes and the advice, much appreciated. The bride and I were on a Ulysses run out to Mudgee (around 2 -3 hours west of Sydney) on the October long weekend. She was not very comfortable on the cruiser and decreed on the Sunday that we had to get a Goldwing. 3 weeks later, with the blessing of the bank, we found our LT .

This weekend we're doing our first big trip on the bike, going up to Forster / Tuncurry with my Ulysses branch. So looking forward to this, good friends and company as well as travelling on some nice twisty roads, just right to get used to a different riding style after the cruiser.

Already got the Starcomm intercom fitted with a medium range hand held UHF 2 way radio plugged in. Getting the radiator protector, headlight protector and a bike cover today courtesy of another Ulysses mate who runs a bike shop on the central coast of NSW (www.motorcyclegear.com top people and good prices) so should have them fitted by tomorrow night.

OK, so brown = earth. Easy peasy, get the tow bar fitted in the next couple of weeks (if the bride'll let me spend some quality time with the bike ) I'll look into getting the wiring schematic book when I get some readies and convince my bride to spend it No Chrissie presents this year for me..... bummer.

Thanks again all

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 10:03 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Hi Big Dog and welcome. You may need to look into an "isolation harness" to wire in the hitch. Not sure about the '04, but the latter bikes monitor the resistance to the tail lights as a saftey issue. Just attaching to the existing loom may cause issues with ABS, among other things. Enjoy the ride, cheers.
post #8 of 12 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 11:51 am

Smile

Welcome a board Big Dog

I wish you all the best with your new ride and loads of hassle-free riding!

Since your bike is so new it doesn't really matter but anyway, when the thing is older (3years, warranty not extended) it actually pays to do your own service. I do all of it except changing the tyres by myself on my 1999 model.

With the help and all the information on this board (and others) it's a rather easy thing to do, if that is what you want.

Is there some specific LT networking in Australia?

cheers & have a good time
Pat

"going matilda june06"
post #9 of 12 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 1:51 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dog

Any other little tricks of the trade to make ownership of my Light Truck easier?
G'day Big Dog,

dont get to carried away with adding stuff 2 yer ride... its an addiction that can only be fixed by adding more stuff ;-)
post #10 of 12 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 8:53 pm
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrae
G'day Big Dog,

dont get to carried away with adding stuff 2 yer ride... its an addiction that can only be fixed by adding more stuff ;-)

... and if you do a search on Dez's mods it'll take you 2 weeks to read it all ;-) Fascinating stuff though, Dez.

So welcome David.
I get up around the coast a bit still, bought mine from Worthingtons and getting it serviced there. All seems good so far with those guys.
Enjoy your ride, I'm sure you both will.
regards Chris

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #11 of 12 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 4:23 am

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
... and if you do a search on Dez's mods it'll take you 2 weeks to read it all ;-) Fascinating stuff though, Dez.
aaawwww cmon now... i haven't added that much stuff 2 my bike have i???

Hey did you want a head rest so you can convert it to a backrest???
there is still plenty of car seats round the streets ya know.
I called a heap of car wreckers to find one and none of them would sell me the headrest on its own, cos no body want to buy only 1/2 a seat they told me.
but if you want a headrest, message me and if i see some more i grab you one.better be quick though im not sure when the council is going to go round and collect all the rubbish. there is all sorts of stuff, wheel barrows, tvs, stoves, microwaves, golf carts, doors, push bikes, kitchen sinks, computer monitors, hot water systems, tyres, i even saw a complete sofa today!
post #12 of 12 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 8:35 pm
cws

Garage
heh, heh... I have enough trouble with the baby backrest thats on it.
I'm playing around now with some extra padding to get my back slightly away from it as it rubs my lower back, and increase my height a tiny bit so I get a better leg/foot position, and thats with the seat on high position.
I need an extra 1/4 - 1/2 inch of height I think.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in