LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2007, 7:58 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Bang!

Did that wake everyone up?
It's too quiet on the aussie site.
Whats happening' guys?
No troubles, no hassles, no ride news, no baby news???

I'm itching for a ride soon, maybe this weekend or the one after.
Maybe up the Central Coast way (big dog, maybe we can catch up...)
Anyone interested in meeting up somewhere for a day run?

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2007, 10:15 pm

Well, we heard the shot in Round Rock, Tejas!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #3 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:16 am

Jeez Chris, you almost gave me a heart attack...

You know that guys in my line of work get nervous when things go "bang"!

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'

post #4 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 1:05 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
nice to see your awake, Ian.
Hows your little bundle of joy going (your baby girl, that is!)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 1:06 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Good Thing I'm Deaf.

Can't hear the "Bang" for the Sirens on the New England. Just got back Chris. Still wearing a big grin. Geez, we're going to miss these rides. "Link"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
Yesterday. Anniversary of sorts, one year retired. Three day trip, Thursday up to Tamworth to visit an old friend. About 250 Kms. Friday up early to ride through Ebor and Dorigo, Bellingen, and down the coast to Wauchope, About 425 Kms. Saturday early rise from the Timber Town motel and on to Longflat for coffee. Just enough to warm the rubber. Then on up the Oxley Highway to Walcha on a gin clear day, sun behind us and no traffic. If any one comes to Australia and can only do one ride, that's the one and those times are best. Breaky in Walcha and down Thunderbolts Way to Dungog and home. 451 Kms and boy it's hard to stop smiling. We sure are going to miss these roads. Oh, average temps from 18 C to 36 C. Airflow suits rock, with a fuzzy jacket underneath below 20 C. Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #6 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 1:14 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Hilton, I was thinking a day ride might take us up you're way again...
Sounds like the three of you had fun on that last run! Left the trolley at home this time, did you?

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 1:51 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Trolley, What Trolley

No way. We go, so does the "trolley" Even coming up the Oxley, didn't even notice it. Heading down to Melbourne in March, but this month quiet with the "little ones" arriving. I'll give you a call through the week. Cheers

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #8 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 1:17 pm

Talking crunch!

Hey Chris, what'd you go and do that for, it woke me up

Too busy either riding or working or doing work around the house. Mainly working around the house, Mrs Dog has list miles long of things to do. If you want to catch up, my mobile is 0417 267 449. My Ulysses branch has a midnight ride on this Saturday night , doing the 5 bridges in Sydney. Maybe end up in the Cross, don't know yet, one of those suck it and see situations.

Ride safe all.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #9 of 20 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 5:34 am

Col H

Hi Chris,
It certainly worked for me, you got my attention..
Just a little story of my own.
Set away a couple of weeks ago, down through Moree, Dubbo, West Wyalong, Warrnambool, ‘Great Ocean Road’ returning via Albury, Wagga Wagga, Junee and just 20 klms from Cootamundra I too heard a ‘BANG’. Flat tyre (Bridgestone), plugged it and limped into Cootamundra, tyre still leaking so re-plugged it. Added a bottle of ‘puss’ to try seal from the inside but no luck. With the tyre still leaking slowly made my way to Cowra (a couple of hours away) to have a new tyre fitted only to find there was nothing in stock to suit. Had to freight a tyre from Bathurst and have it fitted around 6pm. Next day at Guyra (about an hour or so north of Tamworth) another ‘BANG’ (crown wheel bearing). Nine hours later arrived home to Lismore on the back of a tilt tray.. Having had the final drive rebuilt about 20,000 klms ago, I thought this was a bit premature so contacted BMW and I’m now waiting the outcome.
post #10 of 20 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Not the Bang You Want to Hear

Not good news Col. 20,000 kms is ridiculous, can we have some details about your model and the original rebuild please. Seems that BMWNA are now going down the path of factory replacements only for the rear drive. The tolerances in shimming this assembly are so tiny to correctly load the bearings, that I believe very few dealers can correctly assemble. Hope you have some good news. Cheers

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #11 of 20 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 4:51 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
not good news

Hi Col. Nice to hear about the ride, but sorry to hear the tale of woe that goes with it! Not the way to end a pleasant journey.
Do you think running on the partially deflated tyre contributed to the failure of the drive?
Let us know what BMW say!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 20 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 7:11 pm

Hi All,

Hilton, I know all those roads, and it would have been a hoot to ride.

Here's a tip for all you Aussies regarding diff failures.
Get hold of PM Lubricants Enviro Diff life oil. (PM are here in Brisbane)
You can get it from www.pmlubricants.com.au

We use this in earthmoving applications and I'm convinced PM is THE best oil money can buy, and by a long way.

I run it in my LT's rear drive and gearbox. No problems at all, and I have 75,000 up on it now. I also run PM lubricants in our 2005 Falcon GT, and our 100 series Landcruiser.

Go to Pm's website and have a read through the customer testimonials, then make up your own mind. Everything you'll need to know is there, and you can call them direct with any other questions you may have.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #13 of 20 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 11:56 pm

Cool aha...the big bang theory huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryst1100
Hi All,

Here's a tip for all you Aussies regarding diff failures.
Get hold of PM Lubricants Enviro Diff life oil.
I run it in my LT's rear drive and gearbox. No problems at all, and I have 75,000 up on it now. I also run PM lubricants in our 2005 Falcon GT, and our 100 series Landcruiser.
Cheers

Barry
G'day Barry, (and the original noisy one CWS)
aha, the olde rear drive thread rears it's ugly rear end yet again (hmmm I must get my Singaporean mate to say that over an over again...hehhehheh)

75,000kms huh just run in???? I change my oils annually, cos the oils cheap and the job only takes 5 minutes....cheap sorta insurance to help you sleep. I forget wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in 2000 when the 1st bearing went at about 20,000kms maybe.....2nd one went probably 20,000kms later ????(the days are too dim to remember that far back), but now 110,000kms on from that origional 40,000kms and Beryl is still poodling along fine.

Doh!....that's $#@%ed it...hehheheheheh

Beryl Beemer and I, oh yeah and Rhonda, were up trolling around Dubbo on the long weekend, made the mistooooke of wandering around that fly blown zoo there without a hat on....hmmmmm not happy Jan....bit on the warm side....ahhhh these headaches are really goooooood.....<pewk>

Work work work busy people we all are. this coming Saturday was going to be another of those "normal" work days but "wooohooooo"... a data centre in Germany is migrating a load of applications to another site, soooooo they, in their wisdom, have imposed a global freeze on all works within all Data centres for this coming weekend...I get to play tennis woooohoooooooo.

Thought for the day.
"A problem shared is a problem halved....so is your problem really yours or just half of someone elses?"

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430
post #14 of 20 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 12:31 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
sat-er-day

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillWard
I get to play tennis woooohoooooooo.
So no chance you're up for a nice ride on Sat, then eh? Only a chance of a shower or two!
Planning to head north some ways, then west, then south.... via some twisties, need some twisties, will likely leave the rear seat brake at home....

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #15 of 20 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:04 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
bloody cages...

Well there goes my weekend plans....
My partner had a prang on way to work this morning. All OK except the car will need some rebuilding of the front end, at least it will be on the other guys insurance.

So it will be a weekend of TLC for her bruises and aches (not too serious, thankfully) and probably no big day out for me...
maybe next weekend then..... bugger!

take care out there all.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #16 of 20 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:43 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile TLC Goes A Long Way

Sorry to hear of K----s' mishap. Glad to hear she is OK. TLC should earn you some major brownie points. Good choice. Rena says "typical male statement"

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #17 of 20 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 9:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
My partner had a prang on way to work this morning. All OK except the car will need some rebuilding of the front end, at least it will be on the other guys insurance.
Glad to here it was not too serious Chris, hope she is well soon.

Hello to everybody. We have not been out on the bike since the Snowy Run. Despite having 4 weeks off over xmas, we were either too busy or it was too hot to go for a ride. Ah well, maybe in the next week or 2.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #18 of 20 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 3:04 am

G'day Chris,
Sorry to here of K's prang. Glad all is Ok though.

I'm back on the bike and riding again now and have withdrawn my LT from sale. Got the desire to ride back a week and a bit ago. Feels great to be back on board the LT and in sync with it again. I'm off for an early morning trot tomorrow to Springbrook, even the predicted showers haven't dampened the spirit.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #19 of 20 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 1:28 pm

Chris, echo everyone elses sentiments too. Trust that everything is being sorted out okay.

Barry, glad that you have sorted things out too.

Ride safe everyone.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

Last edited by big dog; Feb 21st, 2007 at 1:29 pm. Reason: Can't spel for krap
post #20 of 20 Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 7:42 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Thanks Big Dog, and all. Yep, Kerry's good, hopefully the car will be back in shape in a couple of weeks.
Here's the damage.....(pics)

Barry, good to see the fire's been lit again! Enjoy....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic. 003.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	10115   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic. 007.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	10116   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic. 001.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	10117  

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in