2nd failure of the rear wheel tyre valve - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

Cool 2nd failure of the rear wheel tyre valve

Reporting behalf of my shy mate from Rocky,..........

Shane completed his annual pilgrimage, travelling from Rockhampton, Queensland, down to the Oz MotoGP at Philip Island, and back again of course, a round trip of probably 6000kms....in the couple of weeks holidays he gets off work every month....(well he always seems to be having time off hehehhehe)

5 kms from home on the return trip he gets the dreaded flat rear tyre syndrome, courtesy of the failed tyre valve.

I had this "disorder" some time back an thought "typical, why is it always me?".....(yeppppp getting paranoid as well......) but wooohoooooo someone else is sharing the load....plus someone I know.

Shane thought he had got the valve insert changed at the last tyre change....who knows....but you can be lucky an be very close to a repair shop to get the thing fixed, OR you coulda been out in the middle of the bush an have this problem. There are some pretty desolute regions between Rocky an civilization for this to have occurred.

Shane used 3 CO2 bottles to get some small amount of air back in the tyre and trickled off to the bike shop in Rocky, which as luck would have it, the keys were held by a mate whose wife saw Shane on the side of the road and called the mate to open the bike shop for him to get a new valve insert fitted.

I think you should go an buy a lottery ticket, or two, Shane.......

Couple of pix attached when I had my problem. the valve insert is only a small amount of $$, to keep in the side case...alongside the gear change threaded rod/ball joints,.........you never know......

cheers

Phill
78XS1100E "The Tardis" (ret)
99K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tyre valve.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	519  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 3:20 pm

Garage
Phil,

The problem you experienced has happened to many on this board and has been discussed extensively. Personally I have had two valve stem failures before I switched to aftermarket products. No problems since. The outcome of the prior posts indicated that the problem is not age related , as many including myself had installed new BMW OEM stems and had them fail also. Presently, the delamination issue with the BMW valve stems has not been solved, but it seems to be isolated to the LT. My dealer thinks high tire pressures and the sheer bulk of the bike contributes to this type of failure, but the jury is still out.
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 6:51 pm

Hey Phil,
Good plan keeping a spare handy. Unlike Shane, my dramas always seem to occur when I am in the middle of no where...like the time my clutch cable snapped when I was in the middle of Croc country in the Northern Territory (on my K1100LT)...but that's another story

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick2000
Phil,

The problem you experienced has happened to many on this board and has been discussed extensively. Personally I have had two valve stem failures before I switched to aftermarket products. No problems since. The outcome of the prior posts indicated that the problem is not age related , as many including myself had installed new BMW OEM stems and had them fail also. Presently, the delamination issue with the BMW valve stems has not been solved, but it seems to be isolated to the LT. My dealer thinks high tire pressures and the sheer bulk of the bike contributes to this type of failure, but the jury is still out.
Patrick, are your aftermarket valve stems all metal ??

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:03 pm

Garage
Bob,

Yes they are all metal. Bought them at NAPA. Bring in the old BMW OEM and find a metal equivalent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in