mirror ties - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 4:08 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Thumbs up mirror ties

One thing from recent trip I only remembered last night, was that while riding over some pretty bad section of roads (the main road in!) to Cradle Mountain (under repair in very wet & dreary conditions), I couldn't avoid a fairly large pothole.
Besides getting an awful whack on the front wheel, the RH mirror came loose, and the left one popped out completely.
I thanked the day I took heed of the wise sages on the list and put the mirror ties on, in my case just a couple of plastic wire ties.
Saved an awful lot of potential expense early in the trip!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 5:24 pm

An essential bit of work...

Hey Chris,
Yep, an absolutely essential bit of work...and VERY cheap insurance! Have you seen the price of a new mirror??? Would near have to take out a second mortgage to buy one

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 6:35 pm

10-4 on all of that. During a Tech Session last summer I cut the plastic tie to a mirror but didn't put it back on ("Oh, I'll take care of that after you all leave..." -- NOT) and a couple of weeks later lost that same mirror to a large pothole. Broke the glass and banged up everything on the mirror housing. $265.81 to replace the whole thing.

Moral: restrain your mirrors. Remove a tie for any reason? Tie it up again ASAP.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 10:57 pm

Hi Chris,
Have to agree, not having mirror ties is asking for expensive trouble.
I can't remember how many times I've bumped my mirror off while squeezing past the car in my shed.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #5 of 11 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 9:52 am

A couple of dollars for a pack of plastic zip ties verses several HUNDRED dollars for a new mirror?
Yep... guess which one I took You can never have too many zip ties handy, I always carry some on the bike

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #6 of 11 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 1:04 am

Mirror Ties

Howdy all...

I too have thanked the wise sages on this board for the simple advice of using cable ties, many, many times.

My latest adventure came riding over a bridge expansion joint in the backblocks of northern NSW, where the bridge sat up proud about 7cm higher than the adjoining road abutment.

As I was eyeing off a rather large cousin of Skippy at the time, wondering if he was going to race me over the quarter mile, i didn't see the roadway / bridge surface alignment issue before me. BAM!!! That weird sound that LTs make when they have massive suspension movement - both mirrors dropped off to dangle at the end of their ties, and I cursed - oh - everything and came to a stop.

The impact had not only dislodged the mirrors, it had actually broken part of the plastic mould that holds the spring clip inside the mirror housing. Nett result was (is - havent figured a fix yet) the two trailing ball mounts are captured by the retaining spring, but the spring can move inside the mirror housing on the leading ball mount. In other words, wobble, wobble, wobble - and me prone to seasickness, too.

Do you think I can find a trashed / wrecked bike with a pair of mirror bodies intact? Dont care how scratched they are, or how shattered the glass is - I only want the inner part of the mirror body so as to replace mine. Rare as rocking horse pooh..

Curse you Skippy... or is that curse you RTA... or do I have to start scanning for elevation changes in the road surface as well...

I love riding...

Regards
Chris Paine
Carool NSW OZ
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 1:53 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Yep, this is a fairly common problem with the LT's mirrors. You can replace the whole inner mirror housing, or repair it so that it's stronger than new. Look here for details.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 6:53 am

Quote:
I can't remember how many times I've bumped my mirror off while squeezing past the car in my shed.
Just recently when sitting in heavy traffic and being a bit impatient I came to benefit from the ties I constructed out of a single electrical wire each, that is soldered stable together, holding the mirrors IMO even a bit safer than plastic zip ties.

Well, while splitting the lanes I banged the right side mirror on the back of a ute while brushing past by. My O My, sometimes there isn't enough space, found now some alternative routes where traffic flows nicely at about 40 to 60 k's.

My dealer called me today and told me that my newly aquired ZUMO has arrived (don't grill me for that choice but I found the only option of buying a 2610 as the newest (2004) Garmin available in Australia (the 2720 and 2810 not getting imported to us) not satisfactory.

Anyone got some experience with a ZUMO yet?

Cheers
Patrik
[email protected]

99' K12LT champagne
80' XJ 650 red
If you don't respect yourself who else will?
post #9 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 8:29 am

Have heard (just a rumor I'm sure) that a few habitual speeders, even drill a few holes and tie down the front tupperware.
Rock
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 5:06 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
one picture is worth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Have heard (just a rumor I'm sure) that a few habitual speeders, even drill a few holes and tie down the front tupperware.
Rock
I think we'd need some substantiating photo's of that fix, Rock! Didn't happen to take any did you of said rumoured modifications....??????

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #11 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
I think we'd need some substantiating photo's of that fix, Rock! Didn't happen to take any did you of said rumoured modifications....??????
I may have caught one or two while Messenger 13, tounge lashed the offender.
I will have to check Somethings that happen at tech sessions, have to stay at tech session.
Rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in