Hello new member from Melbourne - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 4:42 am Thread Starter

Hello new member from Melbourne

Hello to all, I, in a moment of total lunacy, after test riding the bike, signed on the dotted line and now am a proud owner of a Burgundy 99 K1200LT.

I pick the bike up later in the month as soon as I figure out where I am going to park it etc. The bike only has 32 thousand KM and looks to have been very well looked after with a full BMW service history.

I am looking forward to many years and many more KM of trouble free cruising on this fine machine. I also am sure I will get plenty of help and support from people on thios board if I have any questions.

BobZ

99 K1200LT Burgundy (Canyon Red (new to me))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 3:03 pm

Welcome Bob,

If there's anything we can help you with locally, just shout.

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #3 of 35 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 4:50 pm

G'day BobZ,

Welcome, You are gonna love this bike. As stated before we are all passionate about our machines and if we can help please feel free to contact.
I'm in Melbourne so PM if you need to.

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia

post #4 of 35 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 4:58 am

Talking Welcome!

Hi Bob,
I'd like to echo the sentiments already expressed and welcome you to the board and the Australasian forum in particular! An absolute plethora of experience resides here on the site...you name it, and someone will have done it...or will do it just to answer your question

I too am in Melbourne and more than willing to catch up or help out with any issues, problems or just for a coffee, chat and farkle admiring

Once again, welcome mate!

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #5 of 35 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 5:51 am Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the warm welcome, I am really looking forward to getting the bike and getting used to the weight of the thing as opposed to my current ride which is a full on sports bike.

I always wanted a LT and this one come up at a great price so I rode it and brought it on the day, so I cant wait untill I pick it up.

BobZ

post #6 of 35 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 1:11 pm

G'day and welcome....

to the board Bob. I know what you mean about getting used to the weight. I went from a V Star 1100 to the LT. But I've found the LT to be very forgiving when I stuff up a corner. When I get used to the big sucker, it's going to be a lot of fun.

Ride safe

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 35 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 1:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobz
Hello to all, I, in a moment of total lunacy, after test riding the bike, signed on the dotted line and now am a proud owner of a Burgundy 99 K1200LT.

I pick the bike up later in the month as soon as I figure out where I am going to park it etc. The bike only has 32 thousand KM and looks to have been very well looked after with a full BMW service history.

I am looking forward to many years and many more KM of trouble free cruising on this fine machine. I also am sure I will get plenty of help and support from people on thios board if I have any questions.

BobZ

Welcome to the Board, I'm from Melbourne as well but moved to Dahlonega a few years back.

(ok ok I'm from Melbourne, Florida. I couldn't resist ok)

Anyhow - Good Day Mate!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #8 of 35 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 3:54 am

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
Welcome to the Board, I'm from Melbourne as well but moved to Dahlonega a few years back.

(ok ok I'm from Melbourne, Florida. I couldn't resist ok)

Anyhow - Good Day Mate!

Tom
It's ok Tom,....I think everyone here guessed you weren't from the great southern land...your accent is all wrong...

cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ulysses 18430
post #9 of 35 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillWard
It's ok Tom,....I think everyone here guessed you weren't from the great southern land...your accent is all wrong...

cheers
Hey Phil, His accent is wrong even on this side of the pond.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #10 of 35 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillWard

cheers
what Accent!

<grin>

Tom

post #11 of 35 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Hey Phil, His accent is wrong even on this side of the pond.

yea it is, definitly up here in the mountains!

in a couple weeks there will be either adinner or a lunch up here that some riders are gointg to be meeting at

Tom

Tom

post #12 of 35 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:28 pm

Quote:
yea it is, definitly up here in the mountains!

in a couple weeks there will be either adinner or a lunch up here that some riders are gointg to be meeting at

Tom
Tom, There you go again about mountains in the SE. I was born and raised in Indiana-- I know mountains, them there are hills!

Sorry for the hijack, I just couldn't pass up a chance to snicker about the relative size of the Smokey's since moving to the Rockies from the land of corn stalks! I hear they have something interesting in their neck of the woods, Tail for Draggin or something?

Back on topic, welcome to the board and congratulations on your Canyon Red, urrr I mean Burgundy LT!

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #13 of 35 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 12:42 am

Col H

Hi Bob,

Congratulations, you will really love your bike as we all do ours..
If and when you decide to take a trip north be sure to contact me, would love to catch up.. Likewise, I will be heading south (Melbourne/Adelaide) in January for around three weeks. Maybe we could meet for chat/coffee/food etc.

02 K1200 LT
85 K100 RT
81 Z750
post #14 of 35 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 5:21 am Thread Starter

Hello Col,

and the rest of the well wishers, I am picking the bike up this Saturday morning and as the weather forecast is for mid 20's (celcius) for the weekend I will have a ball riding around the country side. I might even have quick ride down the GOR (Great Ocean Road) for lunch.

Col I would love to meet for a chat and a coffee when you are down in Melbourne in the new year.

Cant wait for Saturday....

BobZ

post #15 of 35 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 6:29 am

Welcome to the board BobZ,
The LT is a great bike. Mines a 99 also and I purchased it in Feb 2005 with 38,000k's on the clock. It's now done just over 75,000k's and has been pretty trouble free (radio packed it in once), but I just love the LT to ride, and I'm sure you will too.

Cheers
Barry
Brisbane

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #16 of 35 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 9:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgburns
Tom, There you go again about mountains in the SE. I was born and raised in Indiana-- I know mountains, them there are hills!

Sorry for the hijack, I just couldn't pass up a chance to snicker about the relative size of the Smokey's since moving to the Rockies from the land of corn stalks! I hear they have something interesting in their neck of the woods, Tail for Draggin or something?

Back on topic, welcome to the board and congratulations on your Canyon Red, urrr I mean Burgundy LT!
hehehehe, I lived in So Cal as a kid up by Lake Arrowhead, I've been through the mountains of Co as well, compared yes these are mere hills, but compared to FL these are SERIOUS mountains <grin>

Tom

post #17 of 35 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 12:19 am

Quote:
hehehehe, I lived in So Cal as a kid up by Lake Arrowhead, I've been through the mountains of Co as well, compared yes these are mere hills, but compared to FL these are SERIOUS mountains <grin>
Yep, it's all relative! The Smoky's were gigantical the first time through ... maybe '76.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #18 of 35 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 7:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgburns
Yep, it's all relative! The Smoky's were gigantical the first time through ... maybe '76.
I don't like heights well, there are some parts of the southern BRP that gave me a chill, I think i have finally got over "looking" over the edge well enough to get get that chill, Now up on MT Evans that was a different story besides getting a pretty serious issue with Altitude sickness, those heights were enough for me to white knuckle that LT!

Tom

post #19 of 35 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 5:07 am Thread Starter

Finaly picked it up

So this morning I picked up the Burgundy (sorry Canyon Red, there must be really good drugs at the BMW marketing Dept) LT, spent about 3 hours on the bike and did about 200KM on freeways and around the inner city just to get used to the weight of the bloody thing, and the frigging size I had to rearenge the whole garage to fit the monster in and thats just for tonight, I need to figure out what I need to do long term to be able to use the other vehicles in the garage without having to move the bikes around.
But I had a ball with the bike, the only dissapointment being that my GF had to work so we couldnt go for a ride, as I really wanted to go to Queenscliff for the day (about 120KM one way, nice old 19th century town) it would of been a perfect chance to give the bike a good run and to get comfortable on it. But I did the normal sat morning thing instead and the best bit is when you go to the shopping centre (mall) you can just pack your riding gear inside the panniers and top box, no more carrying it around with you and now I can buy items that are bigger then a postage stamp and I have no problems bringing them home.

So enough about my day and here are some very quick pics of the bike:

The bike really needs a proper detail as it is pretty dirty and has lots of scratcges etc, as well as having lots of polish trapped around the edges of the clearbra protection on the bike.

Just to give you an idea of what my toys look like normaly, this is my now solo weekend twisties bike:

I am having a bloody good weekend.

BobZ

post #20 of 35 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 6:39 pm

Bob,
the bike looks fantastic! If you are up around Pascoe Vale South at any stage, give me a bell and we will do some ohhhing and ahhhhing together!

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #21 of 35 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onions
Bob,
the bike looks fantastic! If you are up around Pascoe Vale South at any stage, give me a bell and we will do some ohhhing and ahhhhing together!

Ian
Ian I am just up the ring road from you not far at all about 10 min by the freeway, small world.

BobZ

post #22 of 35 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 5:13 pm

Hey Bob, enjoyed our ride on the weekend! Considering that you had only had the bike for a day, you handled the twisties like a pro...!

We will have to do that again real soon...

Cheers,

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #23 of 35 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Ian,

Thank you very much for the kind comments but I like to think of myself more as a rank amature then a pro, but again thanks for the kind words.

I had a bloody great time and we defenetly have to do this again maybe a little longer this time and make it all the way to Healsville and beyond. And to see if we can entice some other Melbournites to come along as well.

Ian the next ride is up to you as your commitments with your lovely daughter take precedence over a nice ride in the country.

BobZ

post #24 of 35 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 6:19 am

Smile

Nice ride to Noojee, Parrot Cafe makes an all day breafast,
Ride to Yarra Junction and then out to Powelltown and on to Noojee, Head up to Neeerim, Through Drouin to Lang Lang and on to Tooradin for a coffee.
Went this way on Sunday, Know the Gippsland area reasonably well.
Could be god for a get together.

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia
post #25 of 35 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

OK I am in, when do we go?

BobZ

post #26 of 35 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 7:12 pm

Hi Bob,
The pics of your bike look great.
I wanted the Canyon Red, but there were none about when I was buying mine, so I settled for champagne. Still, the LT's look bloody brilliant in any colour I reckon.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #27 of 35 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 1:15 pm

Nice colour mate, red goes faster they say. Of course, the more discerning LT riders prefer Impala Brown....

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #28 of 35 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 5:42 pm
cws

Garage
Hi Bobz

Gday Bob.

Nice to see another Lt'er arrive here.
And don't let anyone tell you the LT isn't a "sports bike", once you get used to the weight you'll attack the twisties pretty hard, at least when the back seats empty! And it will handle it!

I've just done 4088km's over 12 days via Snowy Ride and Tassie, and not once did Kerry complain about her seat, your gal will love it.

You'll have to get someone to fix that number plate though... it looks all smeared , how will the speed cameras ever catch you????

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #29 of 35 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 4:19 pm

Smile Sunday Ride

G'day BobZ,

Heading out for a ride tomorrow (Sunday), Meeting point to be Thompson Rd
Western Port Hwy Lyndhurst (Straight down the monash to the first Roundabout). Meet at 0830
My contact number is 0428 311205 or Work on 59507381 (til 1800),

Anyone else wishing to come are more than welcome. Onions can you get a leave pass.

Will be back in this area by no later than 1600 as I am night shift.

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia
post #30 of 35 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 2:46 am

Thanks for the invite Jake, but gonna have to take a raincheck... Spent today handing out 'how to vote' cards for the state election and will spend tomorrow with the girls earning back some 'brownie points'...

You guys have fun though and ride carefully!

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #31 of 35 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 4:01 am Thread Starter

Hello Jake,

Sounds good but I am playing by ear at the moment as my Gf is sick so unless she is feeling better in the morning I will not be able to go, sorry.

Ian, sorry to hear you cant make it.

BobZ

post #32 of 35 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 5:42 am

BoBz and Onions

No problem, Hope GF feels better soon.

Onions Enjoy your quality time.

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia
post #33 of 35 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 4:02 am Thread Starter

So Jake, how was the ride?

Also is that a New Foundland in your avatar?

BobZ

post #34 of 35 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 4:44 am

Smile

G'day Bob,

Simone and I had a great ride, seven of us went, and did the latte thing a few times, great lunch. Good mix of bikes and people.

Yep thats our dog in the photo, Ziggy, she is a three year old New Foundland. Very faithfull and loving animal. Loves trout fishing and 4WD but just can't seem to get into the top box on the bike. She is 70kg and a little to heavy for the tank.

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia
post #35 of 35 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 5:16 am Thread Starter

Jake, great to hear that you all had a great time today.

As for Ziggy, thats great as I had a couple of Pyranese Mountain Dogs so 70KG for me is a little on the lite side .

I like the New Foundland, dogie world natural life savers.

BobZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in