Anyone know where I can get a Top box rack? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 4:53 am Thread Starter

Anyone know where I can get a Top box rack?

Looking to buy a top box rack for the LT.
Any suggestions on where I can get either an OEM one or an aftermarket rack that suits the K1200LT

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 1:26 pm

Lightbulb

G'day Bazza

I have a Harley Road King rack on my top box. Looks okay too. Was able to source it from Aussie E-bay, cost me $215 delivered to home. Extra $10 for some 316L stainless steel and around 3 hours of my time to make up the mounting brackets. Couldn't justify the cost to the boss about getting a genuine rack.

HTH mate

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 6:53 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Just the Ticket.

Hi Barry, may be able to help you out. At the '05 CCR, bought a Ztechnik rack in anticipation of installing on the LT. It has the built in LED brake light, and is designed to fit the existing holes for the OEM rack, although some tweaking is sometimes required. High quality product, chrome plated, tie down loops too.
Brand new and never used as "Jenna" came with a rack standard here in Australia, and the D'Santis bag I have fits the standard rack. Let me know. Rena and I plan to leave tomorrow for the snowy, look forward to meeting you there. Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 7:06 pm

Ztechnik

I can also recommend this rack....

It looks great and is very sturdy

Although it's a little pricy...

You can get one at A&S

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

Have PM'ed you Hilton about the rack

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #6 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Hi John
Who are A&S?
Where are they?

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #7 of 13 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:19 am

A&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryst1100
Hi John
Who are A&S?
Where are they?

Cheers

Barry
Hi Barry,
A&S are a States based company who also support this site (their add can be found on the home page of this site).

I have purchased a couple of items from them in the past and their service has been excellent. From memory they would only accept a couple of types of credit cards for international customers...

Cheers,

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #8 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Ian,

I'm now weighing up the options of going for either a top box rack and bag, or just a rear seat bag. Have cruised teh other threads and found some people have had trouble with the top box mounts breaking if you overload the top box. Given I do most of my long distance riding solo, maybe a rear seat bag is the better way to go, since I can load it up without having to worry about overloading the top box mounts. The challenge is finding a bag that will tie off securely to the LT rear seat. I need to find one with inbuilt straps that will go under the seat, or at least anchor points down low on the bag.
I picked up a great large size RJays bag yesterday, but can't secure it to the rear seat without running straps everywhere, which then prevents me putting the bags rain hood on if it starts to rain?
They had a slightly smaller bag with padded straps that could go under the seat, or perhaps loop around the pannier handles to secure the bag to the seat. I'll swap the bags tomorrow and see how it works out. If I can get a fairly large bag to mount on the seat, I might not need to go for a top box rack and bag, although that will be handy on those rare occasions when I do ride two up.
Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #9 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 5:22 pm

If you decide to go with a seat bag, check out Helen Two Wheels at www.helen2wheels.com; she sells a version of her Super Pack Straps designed especially for the KLT; the straps are anchored under the passenger seat so that you can secure a bag on the seat and still open and close the side bags.

I took an overnight trip on my LT and secured a soft sided cooler to my passenger seat by passing straps through the saddlebag handles. It worked OK but it seemed like I needed to get into a side bag every time I stopped.
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:30 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Hi John
Who are A&S?
Where are they?

Cheers

Barry
www.ascycles.com

They have the ztechnic and factory rack

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #11 of 13 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 1:52 am

Quote:
Thanks Ian,

I'm now weighing up the options of going for either a top box rack and bag, or just a rear seat bag....

Barry
Just get both...
I too went through the same process and decided to purchase a topbox bag in which I would just store light weight items such as clothing and my wet weather gear...stuff that is really bulky and quickly fills the side and top boxes but didn't overload the rack. Purchased the rack bag over the net from 'Mag's Bags' in the States for about $70.00 from memory. It goes on and off really quickly with velcro straps and also has a gusset that extends it up. A really nice bag and it arrived here within about a week of purchasing it!

When one up, I find that between the boxes and the top bag I have heaps of room and then put my swag across the back seat and straped on with those flat style 'occy straps' (elastic straps)...perfect!

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #12 of 13 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 5:20 am Thread Starter

I reckon your right Ian ... Just get both.
The rear seat doesn't lend itself to tieing a bag on, especially of you also want to be able to put the rain cover on in a hurry. I've got mine fitted for this upcoming trip to the Snowy ride but it needs refining. I think the problem is that I take to much crap with me when I go away?

Oh well, its all good fun packing up before a trip.

Looking at the weather reports I think it will be a waste of time detailing the bike tomorrow before I head off, but it will get done regardless of course.

You know the only thing that pisses me off about the LT on a long trip is the way the bugs get splattered on the inside of the screen. They come under the screen, get splattered on the dash cover and end up on the inside of the screen. Their hard to clean off without getting the instrument and radio console wet.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #13 of 13 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 2:33 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Barry,

You could also go with the Strap & Go setup that Raffy sells. It doesn't interfere with the saddlebags and tucks out of the way when not in use. Look at the bottom of this page.

There are a few more options in this thread.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in