Looking for tips on a down under trip - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:52 am Thread Starter

Looking for tips on a down under trip

I am in the early stages of planning a motorcycle trip through Australia and New Zealand. My idea is to ride from Melbourne to Perth, and maybe do a few days around the Perth area. After or before that I would like to ride in New Zealand for a few days as well. Probably both islands but the south island for sure.

I have located some places to rent a motorcycle in Australia and New Zealand but I haven't decided on anyone for sure yet. I have a fair amount of time to think about it as I am planning on probably February-March of 2009. I am thinking about 10-12 days riding in Australia and maybe 7-10 days riding in New Zealand.

Any ideas on what not to miss or to definately miss would be appreciated. I have been to Australia quite a while ago-21 years actually. I went on a bus tour from Darwin through the red center to Sydney but that leaves a lot left to see. I have not been to New Zealand yet. I have ordered a book on motorcyling in both Australia and New Zealand but they haven't arrived yet.
Maybe I will see you there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 7:08 pm

Melbourne to Perth...that's a looooong ride!

G'day mate,
As per the title to this post...the ride from Melbourne to Perth is significant and in my humble opinion, not the most interesting either. I wouldn't recommend such, particularly if you are on your own. There is a lot of lonely road out there and not too many places to stop along the way. The ride from Melbourne through to Adelaide is fantastic along the coast...but once you head west from there, the road is very straight, mostly flat, and loooonnngggg... The main road is actually used as a landing strip for aircraft in a number of places...

But, if you are into putting the feet up and reading a book as you ride...

Another option would be to put the bike on a train and spend a couple of days looking around Adelaide then fly to Perth, collect the bike and ride back...but riding both there and back would be iron butt stuff...

Cheers,

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:09 pm
cws

Garage
I haven't been much west of Adelaide, but I'm with Onions, I think it would be a pretty boring ride for the most part.
A few places along the way to go for a swim, get eaten by sharks, or maybe go inland for the mines and wild women (are there any out there, or was that another movie..??)
For my money if you start in Melbourne, go East along the coast and then north through NSW to North Queensland. Much, much more to see... a far better ride I'm sure too.
I've ridden Adelaide to Gosford (north of Sydney) many years back (22 hours straight) and that was damn boring going cross-country.

Once on the west coast I hear its great, but everything is a long way in-between...
Would certainly be a great contrast to NZ though!!!
Good luck, whatever you decide! Google-earth it and have a gooood look at where your thinking of going!! (Thats if they've bothered photographing out there...)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 7:22 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I have had the thought that the ride might not be the most interesting but then I do like the solitude. It is something to think about.
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Another tip

If you are riding across the Nullarbor (Latin: Null - no, Arbor - trees. Full of useless info I is ) it's better to do it west to east as that way you're not riding into the sun. Onions suggestion to put the LT on the train to Perth is a good one. I think there is a straight bit of railway line on the Nullarbor that is in the Guinness book of records as the longest straight section in the world without a bend in it. There you go, more useless stuff .

Lots of nice roads on the east coast of Oz. When you get over here, drop a line and see if all the local LTers can catch up with you and take you on a guided tour.

Ride safe

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #6 of 9 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 6:40 pm

I agree with all the above comments.
If your planning on spending just 10 days in Australia, a far more interesting and scenic ride would be from Melbourne in Victoria up to Cairns. Esentially thats a ride up the eastern coast of Australia and taking in a few really good raods you could allow approximately 5,000 kilometres to complete the journey (Not going the most direct route of course). Which is a comfortable 500k's a day.

What route you'd take would depend on what you really want to see and experience here? Do you want to see the cities, or the outback, or a bit of both?

If your limited for time, I'd avoid the cities as much as possible. But if you have to limit yourself to ten days and you want to experience a bit of both, I'd plan to ride from say Melbourne to Brisbane.

That would allow you time to ride some great roads and have time to check out the three major cities of Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

One of the biggest mistakes travellers make when they contemplate coming here is that they under estimate just how far it can be from one place to the next.

You have lots of time to plan, so do plenty of research and ask lots of questions.

Cheers
Barry
Brisbane

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #7 of 9 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 11:21 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryst1100
One of the biggest mistakes travellers make when they contemplate coming here is that they under estimate just how far it can be from one place to the next.
This pic ought to explain that pretty well:

How much of the US could you realistically see in 10 days? Especially if much of it was as empty as much of Texas.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 1:13 am

Smile

G'day,

Something to ponder, perhaps look at startng at Cairns and going across the Savannah way through Katherine in the NT and over to Broome, down to perth. You will visit areas such as the Kimberly, Fitzroy crossing Broome and the Pilbara then to Perth. Plenty to see and do. Probably would be considering hiring a GS for this type of trip. We recently came back from the Kimberly, spent 5 weeks 4wd the area but only as far South as Broome, intend to go back. Simone and I have compiled a wealth of info on it's history and flora. This area I personnaly put as being a must see for All. Our back yard down under is absolutely awsome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00424.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	7743   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01176.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	7744  

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 9:19 am Thread Starter

It sounds like the south coast ride wouldn't be much fun. That gave me an idea to ride the Melbourne area for a week and then fly to Perth and ride a week there. Looking at my map and old Australia brochure I should be able to find plenty for that. At the moment I could rent an ST1100 in Perth and an ST1300 in Melbourne. That way it would be almost like having some of my bikes there. Of course I don't know what would be available when I go.

I am not much interested in cities. I did spend a few days in Sydney when I was in Australia. I like the national parks, rivers, mountains, ghost towns and small towns. I would like to check out Kangaroo Island and Monkey Mia. The brochure says that the coast road between Melbourne and Adelaide is one of the best. I certainly would like to ride that road.

I am not an ironbutt type. I have only done 900 miles in a day once on a bike. I have done many 600-800 mile days but I really figure days by hours not miles. Most days on a trip I put in 12-16 hours riding. That is from when I first get on to when I get off at the end of the day. Depending on what I stop to see miles can be real short. One riding day in Alaska was a total of 3 miles. That was to a day boat trip and back.

Jake, I too liked the outback. I did get to see a bit when I went to Australia.
The GS would be a good bike for that area but if I make it I would just 4wd it as I am not much on dirt roads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in