BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Screen tint??

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  cws 
#1 ·
Folks,
I have finally saved my pennies to buy myself a new screen for the front of my LT. Im tired of the one if have getting fogged all the time, its an accident waiting to happen.
So, i have decided to get myself a screen from Visual screens in New Zealand and i cant decide on getting a clear screen or a smoke tint screen, i dont want a dark tint screen.

I like the idea of clear cos the screen should never go foggy like the stock one does ever again, but i like the the idea of a smoke tint for when riding in to the sun with the screen up.

Idea/suggestions/comments please

#4 ·
Dez,
I went for the medium tint from Bikescreens and am very happy with it. I do not however look through the screen when riding, I have it set so that I look over the top as I find the distortion of looking through another layer of plastic to be a tad disconcerting...

Regards,

#5 ·
Dez,
I have had a "dark tint" screen on Beryl Beemer for a fair number of years now, courtesy of visual screens in NZ. Herewini, owner/operator, is extremely helpful and ever ready to accomodate any requests you may have on the screens.

Have attached a couple of pix of Beryl and screen.

Worked on the premise of bike dark colour scheme = able to cope with dark screen.

I find my screen to be a "touch" on the high side (have my seat on the low setting).....think it is about 675mm down centre line of screen and would have been better off getting about 50mm shaved off the top. Herewini will of course do this shave for you. About 90% of the time the screen is almost at it's lowest point. When it is the highest point it's like looking at a wall of perspex.....

Good value for money though IMHO.

cheers

Phill

Attachments

#6 ·
I have had a light tint screen for the past year or two, and don't like it. It makes no difference during the day, and is definitely worse at night. Now that it is a bit scratched up, I can't see through it at all at night. When alone, I can lower it some, but still have problems seeing the road surface. When my wife is with, I can't lower it so I can't see very well looking forward.

I just received a clear screen and will swap it out immediately. I will say the tinted screens can look cool on the bike, but I'm more worried about the view from the saddle than what passersby may think.

#7 ·
Phil,

Thanks for sharing the photos of your LT, it sure looks spoilt to me ;-)

The sheep skin seat covers on your LT im interested in. Do you have heated seats as well?
Do the heated seats work under the sheepskin covers?

#8 ·
"Thanks for sharing the photos of your LT, it sure looks spoilt to me ;-)

The sheep skin seat covers on your LT im interested in. Do you have heated seats as well?
Do the heated seats work under the sheepskin covers?"

Morning Dezrae,
"spoilt"????? .......you sure???? .........doesn't everybody clean their bike on a daily basis??? hehhehehehe

The sheep skin covers I bought from the "Good Wool Store" located in Berry, which if you are down this neck of the woods is a nice Sunday ride. SWMMO picks the Sunday when Berry has it's monthly markets at the Showground there. Lotsa people and always lotsa bikes at this place.

Yes....the seat heaters work ok through the seat cover, but take a little longer of course. SWMO didn't like the pillion seat one as it made the seat too wide for her. The back rest I also had to take off cos it woulda looked dumb else.....and Beryl hates looking dumb.

I removed my seat cover some while down the track and washed it......but didn't put it back on the bike to dry...The elastic banding required to keep the cover taut has now perished ...so it doesn't keep the cover on neat and fitting.

The dye used on the wool also fades to a blue colour. I did go back to the operator and express my dis-satisfaction but they could not offer any remedy to the colour fade, and could not "re-dye" the cover. I also bought the PVC rain cover to go over the rider/pillion seats.

I would probably buy another, but just the rider cover. They have a web site and also advertise in the Ullysses magazine.

cheers

Phill
'78 XS1100E "The Tardis" (ret)
00 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

#9 ·
Phil said:

Yes....the seat heaters work ok through the seat cover, but take a little longer of course. SWMO didn't like the pillion seat one as it made the seat too wide for her. The back rest I also had to take off cos it would looked dumb else.....and Beryl hates looking dumb.

Dez replies:

mmmmmmm... i can image the LT with the woolen cover on the backrest for the pillion. i dont think it would look dumb at all on the contrary i think it would have finished hte look off and make it look/feel ooooohhhh so comfortable for the pillion.

mmmmmmm... something else to add to my list of things to buy for my bike.
I did have a sheepskin cover on my VFR800 and my K1200RS as well.i got these from a company in Perth called "Prestige Sheepskins". The quality of their producs was awesome. I have seen some from a few other manufacturers and when you look at the back of the skins, they were just a heap of ofcuts sewen together. The ones i bought were all one piece.

Thanks for the info.

#11 ·
Like the Bike Colour

Hey Phil,

Excellent choice of colours I'd say. ;) Only one problem I see, too clean. From my point of view, you don't ride enough. :p

Cheers Mate!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.