rear tyre - finds nail... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 11:27 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Unhappy rear tyre - finds nail...

New(ish) Metzeller 880 rear, less than 2000km on it, find the remnants of a bloody nail in it last night before leaving work.
Tyre hadn't lost any pressure, so I pulled the nail hoping its wasn't completely through... wrong! A faint hisssss.....

Packed a can of Motul Tyre Repair into it (I carry 2 just in case) and rode home.
No sign of air loss in the morning.
Started reading the forums on recommendations for replace or repair. Most seeemed to favor replace, but I thought, its just a very tiny hole... and I found a few who recommended that it could be repaired with a plug.

Checked the manufacturers website and found this...
"According to the specific regulations of different country governments, a general recommendation regarding tyre repair cannot be given. For your country, please refer to your distributor. In case a repair is permitted, METZELER is only recommending the repair of small punctures restricted to the tread area using a mushroom head type plug."

So, I've just spent $45 to get a mushroom plug put in it. The repairer (a bike tyres only shop) had a lot of difficulty finding the tiny hole inside (cause I'd pulled the nail), and I spotted it for him...

So I'm very hopeful that tiny hole plus large plug head means the tyre will last either till it wears out, or gets another hole.

I'm thinking of getting some Ultraseal Tyre Life Extender as an added precaution. Anyone used this before???
http://www.ultrasealaustralasia.com.au/productinfo.html

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:30 am

Few months ago I had the very same concerns.
Please read this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ght=tire+small
I decide on replacing the tire for a trip, but I kept it and I will repair soon... just waiting for the winter time to do it.
And I plan to use it again.
But as you will see on the thread, it was a very very small puncture.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #3 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 6:02 am

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
New(ish) Metzeller 880 rear, less than 2000km on it, find the remnants of a bloody nail in it last night before leaving work.
Tyre hadn't lost any pressure, so I pulled the nail hoping its wasn't completely through... wrong! A faint hisssss.....

Packed a can of Motul Tyre Repair into it (I carry 2 just in case) and rode home.
No sign of air loss in the morning.
Started reading the forums on recommendations for replace or repair. Most seeemed to favor replace, but I thought, its just a very tiny hole... and I found a few who recommended that it could be repaired with a plug.

Checked the manufacturers website and found this...
"According to the specific regulations of different country governments, a general recommendation regarding tyre repair cannot be given. For your country, please refer to your distributor. In case a repair is permitted, METZELER is only recommending the repair of small punctures restricted to the tread area using a mushroom head type plug."

So, I've just spent $45 to get a mushroom plug put in it. The repairer (a bike tyres only shop) had a lot of difficulty finding the tiny hole inside (cause I'd pulled the nail), and I spotted it for him...

So I'm very hopeful that tiny hole plus large plug head means the tyre will last either till it wears out, or gets another hole.

$45 to get a mushroom plug installed??????????????? ok....was the guy wearing a mask when he asked for this??

I have had many many punctures on poor Beryl Beemer, and have always had the mushroom plug fitted from the inside...(ok it would be self defeating if it was installed on the outside heheheheheh) and never had any probs....have always wore out the tyre....maybe the metal chords poking through the tyre was more of a hazard than the mushroom plug...heheheh(joking)

Forget what Procycles charged me last time I had this done...$20 sounds about right.

Which reminds me...I need a new rear tyre now...doh!...This work thing is taking over my life....6 days a week sometimes 7, boring!

cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 4:26 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Work, Work, Work, RIDE !

" Which reminds me...I need a new rear tyre now...doh!...This work thing is taking over my life....6 days a week sometimes 7, boring! "

Hi Phill, thought you must be busy again. Do you get any free time ?

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:40 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillWard
$45 to get a mushroom plug installed??????????????? ok....was the guy wearing a mask when he asked for this??

Which reminds me...I need a new rear tyre now...doh!...This work thing is taking over my life....6 days a week sometimes 7, boring!

cheers
Thought you'd been bloody quiet for a while...
see what happens when you complain its too quiet and there's not enough work!!!!

$45... Skidz Motorcycle tyres at Leichhardt. Oh well, he was pretty thorough.
Getting the Ultraseal tomorrow, so we'll seal how that goes..., yuk, yuk....

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 12:18 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
Few months ago I had the very same concerns.
Please read this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ght=tire+small
I decide on replacing the tire for a trip, but I kept it and I will repair soon... just waiting for the winter time to do it.
And I plan to use it again.
But as you will see on the thread, it was a very very small puncture.
thanks Elton.
Thats one of the threads I went through while trying to decide.
Its now plugged and seems OK, I'll put some Ultraseal in it in the next few days and hope that sorts any future issues with the tyre.
Hopefully it'll have a long and meaningful life, otherwise I'll be hitchin' around Tassie!!!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 10 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 7:03 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Ultraseal update

OK, so 4,000+ km later and the ultraseal I installed in the tyres (along with the mushroom plug) would appear to be doing an OK job.
I checked the tyre pressure at my local servo before I left Sydney and beefed it up just a little due to the max weight to be carried (43 front, 49 rear) on the trip.
About 6 or 7 days later I checked tyre pressures while in Tassie, and they seemed to read down 1 or 2 psi on 42/48, so I added 2 psi in each tyre. Mind you, Tassie was much colder than Sydney.
On arriving back in Sydney and refuelling the next day (12 days total trip) at the local servo, tyre pressure read 44 front and 50 rear.
Now, I generally used to to have to add a couple of psi every week to overcome natural deflation, but it would appear that this was no longer the case.
I'm hopeful that the Ultraseal does as it claims and helps reduce airloss, therefore extending tyre life.
Time will tell.... it may be $50 well spent (or not...) ;-)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 10 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 7:45 pm

Re: rear tyre - finds nail...

Hey Chris, where do you get this Ultraseal? And how much? Mich take some with me to Perth.
Craig

Regards Macca

DILLIGAF
Black 87 K100RS
03 K1200LT

Silver

post #9 of 10 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 9:36 pm

On my new GTL I found a nail in my back tire at 3000 km. to replace the tire was about $300. So I did a rope plug ($2.00) in it and it lasted over 9,000 km with no problems until I had to replace the tire at 12,000 km because the cords were showing (not at the plug).

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #10 of 10 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 9:56 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigger394
Hey Chris, where do you get this Ultraseal? And how much? Mich take some with me to Perth.
Craig
Hi Craig.
Mate, can't seem to buy the stuff in Oz anymore... I was trying to get it before my trip so I could use it in the trailer tyres, as I still had enough left over from last purchase to do the new bike tyres. Even contacted the LA head office, they tried to get the new Aussie dealer to get in touch with me, but I never heard from him.
Wound up buying some Slime from Anaconda camping store and put that in the trailer tyres, had no problems during the trip. Carried some extra Slime with me and put that in the new rears as they went on.
When I asked the heavily tattooed gentlemen who changed my tyre in Karratha to put half a bottle of Slime in, he said "Yeah I know that stuff, we used to do the Postie bikes and they'd get flats several times a week... once we started using the Slime we rarely got them in for tyre repairs"
I've read some online reports of the Slime going hard, it'll be a couple of months before I change out my tyres again so I'll what the dealer says then about the mess they get to clean up .... I've got Ultraseal in the front and Slime in the rear.
Just did a quick Ebay check... you could get it from the UK, but postage might be expensive due to weight.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in