New ride soon - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

New ride soon

Hello All,

Am hoping to become an owner of this great bike in the next few months.
Currently riding an 02 VFR800 with top box and panniers but want to step up to some serious touring in comfort with my wife in the new year.

I am looking for some advice on buying a secondhand K1200LT. Things like what is a fair price in relation to year model, kilometres etc.

I have seen one for sale athttp://www.betterbikes.com.au/ They are asking $18,990.00 for a 2004 model with 95592klms on the clock. With the limited searching i have done so far it looks to good to be true. I went and had a look at it and it appears okay but i have a gut feel about it. The salesman said the previous owner used it for his only form of transport while he had it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 7:34 am
cws

Garage
Hi Mark, and welcome.

Since that bike has the electric centrestand, I know it as a 2005 model, although its possible it was released in late '04.
I bought my '05 in September last year, and its done just over 18,000km in 12 months, riding it practically every day as a Sydney city commuter, as well as touring.

So, 95,000km seems a LOT for a bike thats maybe 2 years old at best.
Whats the compliance date on it, did you notice?

Still, it looks in good nick from the pics.
Any sign of drops (scratches on the black wing protectors) or other damage?

It doesn't appear to have the nav system (or probably any of the other extra toys) so probably had a new price of around $32k.

Seems a fair price is the engine has been cared for..... and the electric centrestand is a must!!

Buy it quick, and join us at the Snowy Ride.. ;-)

Mate, keep searching though and compare prices.
Look on the BMW club sites, Ulysses, and the other BMW dealers shops, just to get a feel for the price range.
When looking for mine there were a couple at around $21k with 50,000+km on them that were 3 -4 years old.
I just decided I wanted a new toy that no-one else had owned, so I knew any problems would either be of my own making, or hopefully under warranty.
Just check, you may still have a little of the 2 year warranty left on that bike too.

Good luck
Chris

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 16 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 7:45 am
cws

Garage
As a comparison, although you'd need to do some calling for km's and/or prices:

there's a '99 model at Procycles, St Peters...
"BMW K1200LT
1999, excellent condition, complete Luxury touring options.
$14,990"

and for private sale (http://www.actbmwmcc.org.au/classies.htm)
For Sale - much loved and well preserved LT. Not withstanding being ex-police, itís provenance is well known, as it was purchased as one of 2 from auction and was in the hands of an ex-staff member of Tom Byrne BMW. I bought it from Tom Byrne BMW in 2002 and it has run like a dream since. Major maintenance has been a replaced crown wheel bearing at 110,000km and little else has needed attention. My bike has just been re-registered and will run through until May 2007. Livery is White, has had the dual seat conversion, and has the city panniers. Radio and tape deck is fitted, and functions well. Email or call Rob Fox on 0413111981. Iím located on the Central Coast NSW.

also...

BMW K1200 2002 SILVER BIKE $22990 USED
BMW K1200LT - Awesome bike for those long trips KM: LOW KM
What an Awesome motorcycle for those long trips. VGC
0425 749 778 ; 03 9563 9166 ENQUIRY MELBOURNE Brighton / Ringwood VIC - Melbourne

They start to make the 04/05 model look good for $18k!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 1:58 am

I second Chris's comments and reckon you shoud buy it Mark!
That is very cheap indeed for an 04/05 bike. And since its from a dealer I doubt you'll go too far wrong.

Personally I wouldn't let the higher mileage put you off. My 99LT has now done 70,000k's are continues to go like a dream. The engines are good for several hundred thousand kilometres if looked after, and from the pictures of the bike, it doesn't look as though its been mistreated to me. If the previous owner used it as a daily commuter it wouldn't be hard to knock up 95,000k's in two years.

Cheers

Barry
Brisbane

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #5 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

New Ride

Thanks for the advice,

I will go back to the dealer and ask some more questions based on what you have said. Organise a test ride and see what happens.

Mark
post #6 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 9:24 pm

Sounds good....

Mark,
I have to agree with the other guys...sounds like a pretty good buy, especially if the dealer may be prepared to negotiate even further?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlord57
Thanks for the advice,

I will go back to the dealer and ask some more questions based on what you have said. Organise a test ride and see what happens.

Mark

Cheers mate,

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #7 of 16 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 6:24 am

Cool

Quote:
Hello All,

Am hoping to become an owner of this great bike in the next few months.
Currently riding an 02 VFR800 with top box and panniers but want to step up to some serious touring in comfort with my wife in the new year.

I am looking for some advice on buying a secondhand K1200LT. Things like what is a fair price in relation to year model, kilometres etc.

I have seen one for sale athttp://www.betterbikes.com.au/ They are asking $18,990.00 for a 2004 model with 95592klms on the clock. With the limited searching i have done so far it looks to good to be true. I went and had a look at it and it appears okay but i have a gut feel about it. The salesman said the previous owner used it for his only form of transport while he had it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Evening Mark,
Neat looking bike for sale there and for a 2004 sounds a reasonable deal too, but 95000k on the clock and it's a 2004 model....where did this previous owner go in those couple of years,... Perth and back for work each week???

Beryl Beemer is a 99 and she now has 146,000kms on the clock....has had some work done, due to hole in exhaust valve, rear drive bearings (2) pinion seal, suspension front and rear, all the normal stuff one would expect to look out for....This bike must have had "some" work on it surely???? Have you had a look to see if the suspension units have been changed to Wilburs or Ohlins?? this will be something on the horizon some time soon maybe, and the units are $A1k each, without fitting. have a look through the forks above the front mudguard at the front suspension unit.

Whereabouts are you specifically located?? CWS is over one side of the place , I'm over here at Denistone West (West Ryde/Eastwood), Hilton is up the road at Maitland,

cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430
post #8 of 16 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Phillward.

I went back and asked some more questions.
The bike looks in good condition, other than that i dont know enough about it to look for anything that you guys would know about from owning one.

The bike was registered in April 2004. So its just out of warranty.
It is a one owner bike that was serviced by the owner. They have his records of service. Thay say the bike is priced based on the number of kilometres it has done. They were not to helpful in saying what may need doing to the bike in the near future.

They do not have insurance to cover test rides. So unless i am prepared to buy the bike they do not have test rides.

Suppose i would have to find a dealer that is prepared to offer test rides as the wife wants to ride one before she agrees to anything.

Mark
post #9 of 16 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 7:13 pm

No test rides????

Quote:
They do not have insurance to cover test rides. So unless i am prepared to buy the bike they do not have test rides.

Suppose i would have to find a dealer that is prepared to offer test rides as the wife wants to ride one before she agrees to anything.

Mark
Hmmm,
I've never heard of a dealer not having "insurance to cover test rides" before...and that to me sounds a bit sus...

As a suggestion, you could take out a cover note from an insurance company and then take it for a test???

Most BMW dealers will allow you to take bikes for test rides. Southbank here in Melbourne simply handed me the keys the first time I wanted to ride an LT. The bike was brand spanking with just 35km on the clock and I had it out for about 4 hours and put 300km on it...no problem and no questions asked...

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #10 of 16 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:59 pm
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onions
and I had it out for about 4 hours and put 300km on it...no problem and no questions asked...

Ian

were you wearing an "official" suit Ian????

Mark, where do you live? ( I think Phil asked that too, no???)
Bit hard with work and weekends full, but maybe one of us can grab an hour or two and go out and have a look with you sometime.... again, depends on where you are... the bikes in Canterbury isn't it?

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #11 of 16 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 6:51 pm

Won't allow a test ride ?
That does sound a bit strange! I'd try and come to a compromise with teh dealer to get around that issue. I'd suggest you perhaps tell the dealer that your happy to purchase the bike subject to taking it for a test ride to make sure everything operates properly, and see what they can work out.

Theres no way I'd buy a bike (or car) without first taking it for a test run. Seems only logical that the dealer would understand this too.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #12 of 16 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Thankyou for the offers.

Having someone look at the bike with some real experience would be a real bonus.

I live at Revesby which is only just down the road from the dealer.
post #13 of 16 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 1:22 am

G'day Mark,

This bike sounds a little sus, I too have taken many bikes for test rides from Southbank, in fact my first LT I had on loan overnight and 500km later I took it back and then bought a new one.

perhaps it might pay to investigate a little more, did they buy this bie at auction and if so did it originate in another state.
Their are quite a few on the market at the moment, Most of us a pretty particular about our bikes and it's maintenance. You should be able to pick up a good model.
Mine is a Dec 04 so if you have any questions feel free to pm and I as all of us here will try to help.
Personnalyl I would not buy a bike I could not test ride from a dealer.

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia
post #14 of 16 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 1:07 am
cws

Garage
here's one on Ebay, Illawarra

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BMW-K1200LT_W...QQcmdZViewItem

another for price comparison.
'99 model, 32,000km Bidding starts at $17,000.
Located at Illawarra.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #15 of 16 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 2:22 am
cws

Garage
Did you buy?

Hi Mark.
I see that LT is gone from the Better Bikes site.
Did you buy?
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #16 of 16 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

Wasn't me

Sorry for the delay in replying.

IT wasn't me that got the bike.

Unfortunately some family problems have caused me to put a hold on any bike upgrade for now. Hopefully early in the new year will see me looking again.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in