1999 K1200LT fuel pump - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By Axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 14th, 2016, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

1999 K1200LT fuel pump

Hi all

Wanting a new fuel pump and wanting to know which fuel pump to buy, the one for about 60-70 OR the the one for 300-450 $$. Are they the same, just don't want to have to tear the bike down again to replace a faulty pump that l tried to save a few dollars but don't want to spend hundreds extra for a brand name pump. Lots to choose from.

Thanks, Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 15th, 2016, 6:20 am Thread Starter

Re: 1999 K1200LT fuel pump

Just bought from Motorworks UK - their gear is usually decent quality, my experience anyway, didn't want to risk getting a cheaper brand and risking it.....
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 15th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Garage

So are you going to keep throwing bits in it or go for a ride, Your 2 posts are probably the only 2 I haven't had a problem with.
I did fit a relay in the bike to stop the audio draining the battery with the IGN off, never had an issue with the pump or the starter.
cheers

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 16th, 2016, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Hi Axel, ta for the reply, had the bike for 2 months and had done 2200kms before servicing it - couldn't get off it, it's a pleasure to do many miles on these things!. The previous owner only had a local guy service and l always, with every bike go through all the necessary service items, being that l don't know the service history and l have been burnt by dealers charging for they didn't do, so hopefully there shouldn't be an issue down the track-so to speak - tempted to drill the hole for the slave cylinder not hard at all just time consuming, probably wait till next year - fluid was quite dark and the calipers were sticking - all good now. There was a heap of surface rust on the pump assembly etc so it's best to be sure - planning on a ride to Darwin in the next few months (i live in Ballarat). Waiting for things from the UK can be annoying (especially when they give you the wrong items and l have my 8 year old wanting to go for a ride - all good though as they accepted fault and were very good with their customer service and usually are spot on with everything their deliver- but it's worth the wait for the $$$ you save.

Ta, Nick
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 16th, 2016, 11:55 pm

Change out the rubber brake lines. Find some affordable ignition cables like the ones from Beemerboneyard. Be ready for the rear main seal issue. (oil stain on right side of engine cases to the transmission). Drill the hole, and one in the clutch transition case just below the clutch. Small is good, 2 mm tops.
Axle likes this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2016, 6:02 am Thread Starter

Ta beech, yep - been thinking about those brake lines and recently asked about brake lines at a local Enzed dealer that can make them up - see how they compare price/quality wise with motorworks and the like (money, my wife is rolling her eyes when l mention "another" thing to service). Ta for the hints on the rear main, good to know, yes - thinking that may/may not go and contemplating just going further into the bike and just replace it while l have the swingarm off. Suprising how easy it is to work on once the plastic is off, it's just the electrical stuff that l get stuck with/lack confidence.

I'm glad l don't mind doing these things myself as it's not hard/expensive but 2 hours and the gearbox was out of the old airhead rt.......but all the extras/buttons/heated stuff is sure nice to have!
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 28th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Garage

sing out if you need tools, I have them all made up for changing the clutch.
cws likes this.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #8 of 11 Old May 25th, 2016, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the offer Axel

After much discussion with the better half, l have decided to put the bike on the market. She is just not that interested in it and my daughters aren't really either, sad to say. I did buy the bike with this scenario/possibility in mind and l don't regret buying the bike one bit.
It's on bikepoint at present (Smythes Creek) - i just came back from visiting a mate in Wannon (near Hamilton) and went via Warrambool - dam the LT is a great ride but l just can't warrant riding it solo all the time (weight and not being able to venture off-road at will - i have on a couple of occasions and was quite suprised at how well it went) and having 3 daughters coming up to high school age $$$, l will probably just get an older GS on club permit or just give the bikes a miss for a few years. If the LT doesn't sell, l'm not too fussed as it seems to be a good thing, only if it only gets ridden once a month to keep everything working as it should. It will sell eventually..........

Thanks, Nick
post #9 of 11 Old May 26th, 2016, 6:36 am

Garage

be prepared to hang onto it or sell it cheap as they are are not worth very much and very hard to sell, I was offered under 5k for mine at one place, and I don't want it from another. That was after the gearbox and clutch was done that cost over 3k in repairs. I am going to ride mine until the fukn wheels fall off.
After reading the post on johns performance chip I have ordered one hopefully it will be better withe the camper on the back on take off.
Oh and good luck with the sale..

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #10 of 11 Old May 26th, 2016, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Was thinking that before l bought it (hard to sell), got it cheap and it's a good one, never understand why they're such an "orphan" of the BM models - besides being top heavy. Know a sparky in Ballarat who has one, 02 model and he's happy with his though he and his wife go 2 up quite frequently. I'll just enjoy it while l have it and see what eventuates.
I am still hoping the wife will one day be more interested once the kids grow up.... just keep asking and asking (doesn't help her confidence, when you hear on the news about the growing m/cycle death toll this year)...... might pop over to meet you one day if l get a day off from "dad duties", if that suits.

Nick
post #11 of 11 Old May 27th, 2016, 1:34 am

Garage

that would be great to meet up, even half way for a lunch at a pub somewhere,, maybe wait till the weather improves, unless you want to see some whale's swimming by on their way past to warmer climate, I don't blame em though it's bloody cold and wet here now..
My wife rode pillion for the better part of 80k km then decided to get her licence, she now rides a GSX 1250 and is very happy, I was going to get rid of mine and down size but cant give it away. Or I should say I am not going to give it away..
I rode it a couple of times (LT) with the top box off, it was certainly easier to handle but it is better to have it on for storage, I cant hear the radio properly with it off as well.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in