Short trip to test the waters - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 12:32 am Thread Starter

Short trip to test the waters

Hello to you all. Catherine and I have just got back from an overnight ride to Woodgate. Thats only around 300klm up the road from us. I had to work Saturday till 11.30 and I didn't want to go to far over the 1000klm before the fist service. The Trip went well, no problems at all. I'm already very Impressed by the LT. So many aspects of the bike I really like. I didn't think I would use cruise control much, But is is GREAT!!. I couldn't leave it on for long as I'm running it in but it's a very relaxing way to get around. The whether got pretty hot and Humid, got to 33.5 C with "I'm Guessing Here" 80% Humidity? Pretty sticky.
Found the adjustable deflectors are great at directing the are flow. I'm already getting 5.3liter per Klm I think thats around 50 Mile to the Gallon. "Yes I know the bike is not altogether accurate" But still better than my VFR 800 used to get. Posted a few pictures hope you enjoy them.
They are a little mixed up in the time line but from top left to right they are. All clean ready to go / Out side our home in Buderim / First Stop Gympie / Second Stop Childers / View from the front door of the appartment at Woodgate / Hot Business temp reads 32.5 C we had a high of 33.5 / Good spot for morning tea on the way home. / Early morning dip at wood gate Sunday morning / Woodgate beach saturday afternoon / It wasn't me officer !!??
Regards Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 clean and ready to go_1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	433   Click image for larger version

Name:	outside out house -buderim queensland-_1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	434   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 first stop gympie_1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	435   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 2nd stop childers_1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	436   Click image for larger version

Name:	overnight stay woodgate view from front door_1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	437  

Click image for larger version

Name:	crowded beach across the road_1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	438   Click image for larger version

Name:	early morning dip at woodgate_1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	439   Click image for larger version

Name:	good spot for morning tea_1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	440   Click image for larger version

Name:	hot business that says 32.5 celcius_1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	441   Click image for larger version

Name:	it wasn't me officer_1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	442  

Last edited by Spike; Oct 23rd, 2005 at 12:42 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 4:41 pm

Smile

Catherine and I have just got back from an overnight ride to Woodgate. Thats only around 300klm up the road from us. I had to work Saturday till 11.30 and I didn't want to go to far over the 1000klm before the fist service.

G'day Nick, Catherine,
welcome to club.....(for those of you lucky enough to have a bike on the road!!!!),

ahhhhhh yes the 1st 300km ride with SWMO on the back...this is a very important ride, as it goes to great lengths in justifying the expense of the K12 to SWHTPS (she who holds the purse strings)...hehheheheh the expected response is of course

"well what a brilliant bike darling you should have bought this years earlier, let me fill the petrol tank for you....."

I'm already getting 5.3liter per Klm I think thats around 50 Mile to the Gallon. "Yes I know the bike is not altogether accurate" But still better than my VFR 800 used to get.

"you will get better mpg once the motor frees up a bit....4.6 l/100kms with SWMO on the back cruising at 110-120kph on trips...that's around the 66mpg (UK gal)...."

"All clean ready to go / Out side our home in Buderim / First Stop Gympie / Second Stop Childers / View from the front door of the appartment at Woodgate / Hot Business temp reads 32.5 C we had a high of 33.5 / Good spot for morning tea on the way home. / Early morning dip at wood gate Sunday morning / Woodgate beach saturday afternoon / It wasn't me officer !!??"

Nice pix Nick, now don't forget you must clean "bike" (needs a name) at least once a day, and especially after the 300kms doodle cos of the bugs a crap that tag along for the scenic ride...you'll be amazed at how many freeloaders now want to ride with and "bike"....

As a "heads up" beware of the parking "bike" on the side stand (pix with police vehicle) especially when slope is downwards.....hasn't happened to "Beryl" luckily but came within millisecs of going for a walk all by herself. get into the habit of using centre stand when leaving bike.

cheers

Phill
78 XS1100E "the tardis" (ret)
99 K12LT "Beryl Beemer"
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 6:10 pm
cws

Garage
"As a "heads up" beware of the parking "bike" on the side stand (pix with police vehicle) especially when slope is downwards.....hasn't happened to "Beryl" luckily but came within millisecs of going for a walk all by herself. get into the habit of using centre stand when leaving bike."

Second that comment from Phill. "TYC" tried to go for "a little walk" on its 4th day of coming to life, even with my having read the threads on caution. Just hopped off to shift another bike, and before I knew it he's laying across my lap, hand pinned under the clutch. Always put in gear when using side-stand!!!!!!!

Looks like the weather was great. It puts another reflection on things knowing just how "hot" (or cold) it really is out there when you're riding.
Looking forward to more ride pics ;-)
cheers

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 25th, 2005, 6:16 am Thread Starter

G'day Chris & Phil

Phil I have been following your Valve Saga!!
Any news on when Beryl is expected to breath anew??
If I only had my bike sooner I could have donated one of my valves....You know I would have..but thank god you don't need one anymore.

Chris
Sounds to me like you have to many bikes.
I do normally leave the bike on the centre stand if It's going to be there for more than an hour. The main reason being that it burns a lot of oil "Blue smoke everywhere" if I leave it on the side stand for any longer than an hour.
I have read on this site that this can happen but boy the fist time it did this it didn't stop for the first 2 or 3 minuets. It does have the thin running in oil at the moment so maybe It won't be that bad after tomorrows fist service. After only a week I'm not having any problems with the slow speed manouvering. I have only touched the side stand on one right had corner, I'm amazed at how well it handles. Can't wait till tomorrow as I will be able to build up the rev's a little more now that I have more than 1000klm done.

Naming of "bike" now theres a challenge!!
I had thought "Caths Chariot" The reason being, when I first suggested the LT Catherine wasn't all that keen, as we had two sports tourers before and she loves to hoon around the corners. She wouldn't come to the dealer for the test ride, so I rode it home and convinced her to come and give it a go. When we got back from our ride of around 100klm she got of and said thats it, thats the bike I want, I'll only come to Melbourne with you this Christmas if you get this bike. What was I to do?? I just had to by the LT, Hence "Caths Chariot". Or maybe "CC" for short "could save a lot of typing in the future.
What do you think??
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 25th, 2005, 6:05 pm

Finally you got her! Well done mate and I'm sure you now feel that the wait was worth it. Nice pics too...did you give my brother officer a run for his money? (laugh) I've had the *pleasure* of being pulled over a number of times now...fortunately for me, each time has had a happy ending resulting in nothing more than a chat and handshake...I guess the 'brother-hood' has some advantages... But we don't like those speed camera! Do you guys have them up there?
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 25th, 2005, 8:55 pm

Unhappy

Phil I have been following your Valve Saga!!
Any news on when Beryl is expected to breath anew??
If I only had my bike sooner I could have donated one of my valves....You know I would have..but thank god you don't need one anymore.

Aggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....just spoke with Procycles, dealer they reckon that Beryl will be ready mid/late NEXT week....

They have the head back from the machine shop so it's a matter of "finding the time" to get it back together amongst the other work they have.....mutter mutter...Not happy Jan!

They estimated it's an 8 hour BMW work unit to remove/replace the head...ok....they done the 1st half, now just need to do the 2nd half.....which takes em a week????

BWTF can you do?????

I do normally leave the bike on the centre stand if It's going to be there for more than an hour. The main reason being that it burns a lot of oil "Blue smoke everywhere" if I leave it on the side stand for any longer than an hour.
I have read on this site that this can happen but boy the fist time it did this it didn't stop for the first 2 or 3 minuets.

Ahhhhhhh yes the BMW vapour trail.....nope it don't get any better with age/kms travelled. Beryl will smoke for a couple of streets, very embarrassing when you look back in the mirror and see this haze just hanging there..."maybe" with the work on the head this might improve???? Beryl has about 130,000kms on the clock. Running Shell Ultra synthetic

Can't wait till tomorrow as I will be able to build up the rev's a little more now that I have more than 1000klm done.

ok...you should be running in the 6-7000rpm range now hehhehehehehhe

cheers
Phill
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 26th, 2005, 6:34 am Thread Starter

Ian
We just happened to park next to the police car at a take away food place. Thought it might make a nice picture.

As for the speed cameras, yes we do have them but from what I hear "From family and friends still in Victoria" you guys are being hammered compared to us.
Sounds like if your anything over the speed limit down there your likely to be hit.
No doubt you'd know more about that then me.
NOT THAT I WOULD THINK OF SPEEDING!!!.
Thank the lord for the cruise control.
I've only been caught speeding once in the last four years on a bike "or car for that matter".
Must be lucky!! Where's that lump of wood.

Phil
Well Phil had the first service done today.
Warmed the old girl "or in this case the Young lady" up and gave a little, Very nice to!! DIDN'T GO OVER THE SPEED LIMIT THOUGH much. Went home and took Catherine for a little spin, stopped in for a drink down the coast "tea and some cake" headed home, then took my son for a quick lap around the block "Well about a 30klm block that is" Finally finished riding at around 7.30pm.
Don't worry you will soon be riding again. I had to wait 5 weeks from when I totalled my K1200S before picking up the LT. That was very hard!! but your in the home straight now,, Stay focused.

OK it's bed time.. Catch you all later.
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:30 am
cws

Garage
"Chris
Sounds to me like you have to many bikes. "

No, just too may guys at work on bikes and not enough space to park them...
and manouvering the beast in tight spaces ain't the easiest, although its getting better with time....

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in