WTB: K12LT EVO forks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 2:09 am Thread Starter

WTB: K12LT EVO forks

Hi,

Had no luck on the normal classifieds. Anyone know where I can buy a S/H set of K12LT EVO forks, preferably in Australia.

Cheers
Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 4:08 am
cws

Garage
Umm nope, sorry Al. But you got me wondering as to what EVO forks are, or at least what is stands for??? :-)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 8 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:16 pm

are you in the right forum???

Hey Harrold are you sure you souldn't be over in the harley zone?

Last edited by dave4462; Aug 20th, 2006 at 9:22 pm.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:14 pm
cws

Garage
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4462
sure you souldnt be over in the harley zone?
I'll preface this by saying no offense taken, however...
Is this a case of "ask a dumb question"...???

I for one haven't studied the inner workings of the beast, so of the many technical items and terms I don't understand, I'll ask... and hope for an answer... which is why there are so many of us are on this list from what I can gather.

Unless EVO isn't a technical term, and I'm missing the joke?

My dear old Dad was a car mechanic/service guy, and pretty much steered me away from being a grease monkey and therefore knowing much of anything about the workings of cars (he didn't want to know about motor bikes, since one of his best friends was killed on one at a ripe young age).

So, if anyone feels obliged to share, that'd be nice...
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 8 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 3:10 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Al has it right, though the term EVO isn't commonly used. Basically, the Integral Brakes (from '01 on) have the power assist function and the proportional link between front and rear. At the same time, BMW redesigned the front brake rotors, calipers, and ABS sensor ring to increase stopping power while minimizing weight. The new front brakes are called EVO.

HD also used the term EVO to describe its new motors (I guess they ran out of ___-head names). Both terms are short for Evolution, but that's where the similarities end.

A quick Google search brought up several interesting pages, including this one.

So what Al needs is a set of forks designed to work with the EVO front brakes. I'm sorry I can't help him find them though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Sorry for the confusion. I was just trying to distinguish the later model forks from the early models. I think the change was valid from 11/00 onwards. The rotor spacing is different, due to a different from wheel.
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 12:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
HD also used the term EVO to describe its new motors (I guess they ran out of ___-head names). Both terms are short for Evolution, but that's where the similarities end.
As Ken well knows, the prior ____-head names were based on valve cover shapes (shovelhead, panhead).

I suspect that the only logical name for the EVO motors didn't go over well with the HD faithful: blockhead

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 12:14 pm

EVO brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Umm nope, sorry Al. But you got me wondering as to what EVO forks are, or at least what is stands for??? :-)
EVO means Evolution. As in the next evolution of brake design. These fully integrated brakes require the EVO fork legs to mount them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in