4Likes
  • 2 Post By brouhaha
  • 1 Post By Axle
  • 1 Post By cws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2015, 5:59 am Thread Starter

My H3 HID highbeam install - 2002 K1200LT

Hi all,

I've just installed H7 low beam and H3 Highbeam HID's on my 2002 K1200LT and thought I'd share the process I went through.

This is how I went about doing it and this information is only supplied as an interesting history reading of what I did and not what you should or must do.

My H7 LB (LB = Low Beam) was a simple plug and play
My H3 HB was a lot more involved and took about 2.5hrs

Tools I used were Dremel tool (to do the cutting), Pliers (to do some bending), Drill (to cut out holes) and screw drivers (assorted )

The H7 LB HID's were eBay items but plug & play to suit the LT
The H3 HB HID's were eBay items but NOT plug and play for the LT so some work to install

I removed the complete light assembly from the LT as part of my servicing (removed fuel tank to do air filter and fuel filter) and that required the removal of fairing and thus light housing was easier to remove during this process.
My H3 LB was done whilst the light housing was off the bike but it's simply a matter of un-clipping the halogen and replacing it with a HID then connecting the wiring.
My H7 HID was a lot more difficult, I could NEVER imagine doing my H7 without having removed the light housing.

First things first:
I removed the main access cover to get access to the wiring and globes.
Then I unpluged the halogen positive and removed the halogen carrier. The retaining spring/clip holds the carrier in place.

I removed the old halogen from its carrier.

My H3 HID fitted perfectly into the old H3 halogen locating notches/slots

Close up of the old H3 halogen showing the locating notches/slots that exactly suit the H3 HID

I had to bend one of the locating tabs on the metal carrier out of the way because it was too close to the HID's high tension wire (not my photo but adjusted)

I put a slice up side of plastic carrier to let HID cables through middle hole. The hole was too small to allow the HID plug ends through so easier to slip through the sliced side entry

I noticed the HID is a lot taller than the halogen so a hole needs to be cut in the middle of the plastic globe carrier to allow the HID to fit. CAUTION as I noticed that the HID orientation needs to be exactly the same as the halogen so I did lots of cross checking and cross checking to make sure the orientation was EXACT.

On my test fitting I noticed the high tension wire on the HID was close to the chrome plastic inside the light housing so I trimmed the chrome plastic to allow more space between it and the HID high tension wire.

When I had finished this I put the metal and plastic carriers back together and slid it back into the the main light housing.

I reconnected the H3 positive to the old halogen Positive and ganged the H3 and H7 negatives together in the old H7 low beam halogen negative connector. It's a tight fit but I found that both the H3 and H7 negatives will fit the old halogen negative connector.
I also used the old halogen metal/spring tab to hold the completed H3 HID carrier in place. It took some bending but the old metal spring tab securely holds the H3 HID securely in its original place.

I cut some holes in the light housing cover to allow the HID wiring looms to exit. The HID wiring looms exiting the cover do NOT connect to power but to the ballast and back to the HID.

My completed H3 HID High beam installation finished off by sealing the cover holes with the supplied grommets. I was lucky as my HID's came with grommets and they are highly recommended to keep everything waterproof.
The HID ballast were tucked under and zip tied to the cross members as both ballast were waterproof and shook proof. .

All up, this job took me 2.5hrs and the end result is amazing. The H7 low beam HID installation I felt was better than the stock halogen highbeam but with the added power of the H3 high beam highway riding will be more comfortable.

By using the original halogen positives the high and low beam switch works each light perfectly.

I installed 'fast bright' H3 HID's because when I flick from low to high beam there is NO lag in time between the low/high beam although, this is not really an issue on my LT as the low beam stays on when high beam is on.

Cheers, Pete
cws and bfree like this.

Last edited by brouhaha; May 23rd, 2015 at 7:35 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2015, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Re: My H3 HID highbeam install - 2002 K1200LT

I noticed two (2) typos that I've missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouhaha View Post
My H3 LB was done whilst the light housing was off the bike but it's simply a matter of un-clipping the halogen and replacing it with a HID then connecting the wiring.
My H7 HID was a lot more difficult, I could NEVER imagine doing my H7 without having removed the light housing.

1/ My H3 LB was done whilst the light housing was off the bike but it's simply a matter of un-clipping the halogen and replacing it with a HID then connecting the wiring.
This should be H7 LB (low beam)

2/ My H7 HID was a lot more difficult, I could NEVER imagine doing my H7 without having removed the light housing.
This should be H3 HB (high beam)

Sorry, if you find any more... just add a comment/reply

Cheers, Pete
post #3 of 8 Old May 24th, 2015, 5:08 am

Garage

one of the best mods you can do, you prob wont get to use the high beam much, at least you will now be able to see the road ahead.
cws likes this.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 29th, 2015, 10:32 pm

Is the High Beam worth doing, as I've read that the High Beam takes some time to power up and constantly going on and off decreases the life of the unit.

Can anyone advise if this is the case?

Colin
post #5 of 8 Old Jun 30th, 2015, 12:05 am
cws

Garage

Did both hi & lo about 6 or 7 years ago.... I've probably used hi beam 2 or 3 times in that time.
Unless you are in an area where you constantly use it I wouldn't bother Colin.
And yes, you have go mod the light housing to get it to fit, IIRC.

Lo beam is another matter, that and replacing plastic fuel quick-disconnects if still there are 2 of the first things you should do.
I posted my install pics years ago.
Can fit the low beam without removing all the tupperware, Brian Free did his that way.... Just a bit tricky keeping the wiring tidy I would think.
Axle likes this.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 8 Old Jun 30th, 2015, 4:40 am

Garage

absolutely agree with Chris, but I did replace my hi beam globe with one of the new brighter globes they sell for cars the plus 100w halogen or some thing, Hardly ever use high beam I don't like riding at night anyway. Do the low beam and try it I think you will find it good enough, just lift the headlight with the adjuster adjuster as you ride to find the right spot and you are not blinding on coming cars.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 1st, 2015, 8:29 pm

Great documentation... So any pics of the beams powered up? Also make sure to adjust the beam lever correctly.
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 3:37 am

[QUOTE=Colin Sweeny;1344250]Is the High Beam worth doing, as I've read that the High Beam takes some time to power up and constantly going on and off decreases the life of the unit.

Can anyone advise if this is the case?

Yes the high beam does take 7 or 8 seconds to reach full brightness if it has not been used for a while,if dipping high beam for an oncoming car it will still be bright when you put high back on.My bike is a Swiss import and until I put HID on I did not know the beam was designed for driving on the other side of the road,had to get the correct headlight,did high beam when I discovered HID low is brighter than standard high,the delay on high is no problem as low is on all the time,don't know about the reliability issue with high beam but I feel much happier on our wallaby infested roads,hitting one and going straight over the bars is no fun,don't ask me how I know..... Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in