To GPS, or not to GPS?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 2:02 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
To GPS, or not to GPS??

OK, so I've been reading as many posts and threads and other web stuff about GPS over the last few months as I could find.
Whom of you in OZ has a GPS on board?
Do you think its worth it?
Do you really use it?

The Garmin 2610 (around $1450 all up new, & yes I've been watching ebay..) still seems to be the most user friendly, bike suitable unit I can find. Had a good play with one today, and its seemed to make more sense to me than the TomTom Rider did. (Also dont like the fact that the TomTom website won't open??)
And I was thinking of the Quest, cheaper and more portable, but it just seemed too small and a bit dull, and dont like the joystick type selector.

If I get one I plan to put it up near the windscreen for line-of-sight rather than on the stingray, perhaps on a shelf or I'll make something to fit somehow.

So, whos got what?? (I know Hilton has the Beemer version...)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 2:43 am

I obviously don't live in the land down under...but I can't imagine that fact making much of a difference. NavTec has people all over the world doing the mapping for Garmin. Once you own a GPS for 2-4 weeks, you'll wonder why you didn't buy one years ago! I own the 2610, and still LOVE it. And if I was buying another unit today, it would be another 2610. All of the newer units offered by Garmin just have other bells & whistles in them...without any significant advances in the GPS functionality itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
The Garmin 2610 (around $1450 all up new, & yes I've been watching ebay..)
In the US, we're paying between $400-$450 USD for the 2610. Can you explain the $1450 figure? Please excuse my ignorance.
post #3 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 4:04 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Aussie costs (inflated?)

Hi Joe.
Quoted Au$1389 for the unit, plus another Au$87 for the motorbike kit.
so, Au$1476 @ ~US$0.75 = US$1107
Much the same every where I look out here.
I think the Australian Maps software is around +Au$400 odd to buy by itself, so buying a unit from the US, paying import taxes etc, it just doesn't add up.
A year-old unit went on ebay locally for around Au$750 this morning, I just wasn't convinced enough at the time to bid on it, as I hadn't held one to play with.
Our LT's also have a similar price increase over the US cost, which sucks.
But then again, we get to ride without quite so many others on the roads (most of the time), and all year round... maybe thats our penalty???

The TomTom Rider is around Au$990, the Quest around Au$850. Wish I coud find a cheaper supplier??? Anyone???

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 5:14 am

BMW Navigator

Mate,
I'm on to my second and love them!
My first unit was the BMW Navigator I (the re-badged Garmin StreetPilot II). Purchased it on eBay from the States and I think I paid $450.00 for it...

Sold it for $470.00...happy days.

Purchased my current BMW Navigator II (Garmin 2610) again on eBay from the States. This one was brand new from a BMW dealer who was selling a few of them at the time. I think that I paid then $900.00 for it. It arived safe and sound about 2 weeks later.

Both of them mounted via the so called maplight mounting kit, the second unit having a slightly different mounting plate that bolted straight on.

I have v6 Australian software for the unit (v7 just released a couple of weeks ago) and I still have one license left for another unit...so give me a call if you do happen to pick up one of these units

And as for the rumour that the northern hemisphere units won't work here...that's complete rubbish! What is true though is that they have a 'base map' loaded on to them...but the base map is worldwide and once the software is loaded, the only thing you miss out on is the BMW stores that are preloaded...but there is not enough here in Australia anyway...

Cheers mate,

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #5 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 3:48 pm

Chris, have a look at the JB HiFi cattle dogs. They have some GPS's for sale starting at around, IIRC, $400 odd up to over $1k. Might be worth it and they're loaded with Aussie maps. Some even speak to you. I don't need a GPS, my wife tells me where to go .

Ride safe

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #6 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 4:25 pm

I guess it depends on what type of riding you do most, whether you need GPS or not. If you do a lot of scootin across town and need to negotiate your way to different locations regularly, then I think they would be fantastic and well worth the outlay.

For me they'd be as useful as a pocket in me undies, and would likely be just another electrical component hanging off my bike that will give me problems down the track. That's if someone doesn't knock it off before hand while the bikes parked somewhere.

Also $400 for the software upgrades verses buying a new map for $4?

I figure I'm 42 now and have never got lost to the point I can't find my way to where I want to go. So i figure I don't need a GPS.

Cheers

Barry
post #7 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:30 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Hey Onions, how much import tax did you have to pay?
Just found an ebay retailer selling new units for US $549.95 (Approximately AU $734.74). At that price if tax is say 10% then its worth shipping it in, rather than buying local.... hell of a markup locally, but then I guess they are low-turnover items and you're paying for support.
Would certainly give you a call re the Nav license....
And where did you get the "maplight mounting kit". Got any pics of it?

Dean, checked most of the local sale rags, dont seem to cater for the 2610 at all, mainly in-car Navmans and like.

Barry, done the map thing on my tank-bag for a few years. They have their own set of multiple problems. Just like upgrading to the LT for a better ride, I think its time to upgrade to a better guidance system.
I've tried to get Kerry to stick the maps on the back on my jacket and guide me, but she just doesn't seem interested. And then, what happens when "they" nod off????
"Hello, come in guidance system, hello, anybody awake back there????"

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 21 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:34 am

I saw the MIO units on TV today and taking a look at them.
They are a PDA with GPS antenna attatched and look quite good.
Range in price from $600AU and up. Available from Harvey Norman, JB Hifi and a few other places.

http://www.mio-tech.com.au/

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #9 of 21 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:47 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Hi Brian. They look nice & I expect they'd be OK for in-car use. I have PDA and looked into the GPS cards/software for it, but run into the same problems of non-waterproof. The top-of-the line with 2.5Gb internal disk sounds good, but I wonder what all the bike vibrations would do to the disk? I've heard that video recorders with internal disks aren't recommended to be used on bikes too, those little heads like to be in non-bumpy environments. I'm still leaning to the 2610 option.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 21 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 1:18 am

Chris, I didn't have to pay any import tax...on either of them... It would appear that Customs very much rely upon the declared value of the item...from my experience, items under $500.00 tend not to receive as much attention of those over that amount...

I use it in the car as well as on the bike and whilst I acknowledge what Barry says, I tell ya what, once you've had one of these, there aint no going back...they take all of the stress out of riding/driving and even if you happen to miss a turn or there is a detour, they just simply recalculate the route for you... I have used mine all around Australia and New Zealand now and it is very comforting arriving at an unfamiliar city and being able to easily navigate through it. Take Sydney for example...just set the GPS to the route you want, either the fastest route (uses freeways etc) or the most direct (takes you the shortest distance) and away you go...miss a turn? ah well, take the next without having to stop and ask for directions!

The maplight mounting kit is a OEM part from BMW. Essentially, it is a metal frame that attaches to the framework under the nose and a bracket pokes out through the maplight hole to which you mount the GPS. Downside being that you loose the maplight, but if you don't use maps, then no need for it You can often pick these up on eBay for anywhere between $50 to $100. The GPS once mounted sits beautifully above the speedo without blocking it and is right in eyeline allowing easy reference without taking your eyes off the road (unlike mounting on the stingray)...

Cheers mate,

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #11 of 21 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 1:21 am

Hey Brian,
A down side of these being their inability to withstand any weather. The BMW Navigator on the other hand is fully waterproof and also petrol resistent...

Cheers,

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #12 of 21 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 7:31 am

Okay I'm not a genius by any means, but can't you buy a less expensive 2610 from US and have someone rip you the software needed?
To me that seems like paying the $120.00 US for the maint CD, when they should have gave it to you with the bike. Someone burned me a copy for nothing, not even postage!
All the talk about BMW losing money if you do that is BullShit, they had to make the CD for their tech's anyway.
Then they can go learn how to make a trunk latch from HD
Rock
post #13 of 21 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 4:18 am

On my Lt i had a gps. it was the factory one.
it was a vdo/dayton unit.
top stuff.
did i use it??
once. even though i knew where i was going just to see how it worked.
top stuff.
i took the lt after i bought it on a ride to the Atherton Tablelands and round Mt Maloy and back to Townsville.

Most other GPS units i have seen and heard a lot of good reports of are Garmin gps units.

I think if i was to ride thru a capital city it would definatly be worth it like brisbane, sydney or melbourne.

The rest of the time fly by the seat of your pants and enjoy the scenery :-)
post #14 of 21 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 7:47 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
US prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
In the US, we're paying between $400-$450 USD for the 2610. Can you explain the $1450 figure? Please excuse my ignorance.

Best US$ price for a new unit (not refurbished) I've been able to find (via Ebay) is around US$550.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWA:VRI

Where the hell are you guys paying US$400-450?????
Tell me, I'll buy it!!!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #15 of 21 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:03 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
got one....

I've taken the plunge and just bought a new 2610 off Ebay. Just hope it arrives safely.
Paid US$550 (including postage which US$60 is pretty steep!) which is ~ $Au730, but then again I dropped the best-offer price to include postage on their buy-now price. So even if I get hit with 10% GST on import, I'm still ahead.
Now just need those Au maps... Onions, expect a PM!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #16 of 21 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 4:34 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
GPS arrived!

So, it arrived safe & sound. Ebay seller was good after all, so much for my worry!
Onions, couldn't wait mate, went straight out and bought v6 with free upgrade to v7 at end of month. So now I've got full US maps as well as Oz, just in case I ever get to do THAT trip...
Forgot it would have a US plug, but I had an adapter anyway.
Copied all the maps to a 256mb card at home, and then took it for a car-run up to Gosford and back the next day.
Great thing was that I had one of my sons on L's driving, so with the GPS I could watch his speed all the way!!! Loved it, although 80kph is a 110 zone sucks...
I've ordered the BMR shelf and bits from the US too, so hopefully will have it all installed in a few weeks, if I can ever get time off work that is...
Will post some pics when its all done, once I've figured out where to wire it to for power?????
Any opinions?

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #17 of 21 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 6:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
OK, so I've been reading as many posts and threads and other web stuff about GPS over the last few months as I could find.
Whom of you in OZ has a GPS on board?
Do you think its worth it?
Do you really use it?
I'm not in Oz, but buy one! you will use it and love it, i have the 276c cause it will store 3000 waypoints, there are new ones coming on the market soon motorcycle specific from garmin,

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #18 of 21 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 9:40 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Installed OK....except...

Hi all.
Managed to get the BMR shelf and 2610 installed over the weekend. Was fairly straight forward with good instructions from both BMR and the LT pages to get a few tricks.
Added one I hadn't seen either, I didn't like the fact that the Garmin bike-mount screws/locknuts could be seen easily, so I glued some black tyre valve caps onto them to hide them.
Pics attached.
What I haven't worked out though is the audio connections, and this is the same problem I had with trying to get the music output through my autocomm on my previous bike, ie, lack of knowledge to do it properly!!
Think I suffer ground-loops problems, so will call my Autocomm suplier and see what its going to cost me to get his pricey bits to sort it out.
Anyway, ran it on the bike for the first time this morning on my way to work, not really distracting at all, and I like the fact that I had a better idea of my actual speed all the time, as I go through a few 40kph school zones!
The other think I think I may have done wrong is put the garmin wire back through the hole next to the map light without enlarging the hole. After I snapped it back in I realised I wouldn't be able to get the screwdriver back in to pop it out again!!!
Oh well, live and learn....

If anyone knows any simple non-autocomm (ie non-expensive) ways to get around the ground loop issue, I'm all ears!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gps.01.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	5806   Click image for larger version

Name:	gps.02.JPG
Views:	522
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	5807   Click image for larger version

Name:	gps.03.JPG
Views:	684
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	5808   Click image for larger version

Name:	gps.04.JPG
Views:	643
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	5809   Click image for larger version

Name:	gps.05.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	5810  

Click image for larger version

Name:	gps.06.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	5811   Click image for larger version

Name:	gps.07.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	5815   Click image for larger version

Name:	gps.08.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	5816   Click image for larger version

Name:	gps.09.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	5817  

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #19 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 4:07 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Looks Good

Nice job Chris. Do disable IR port. It helps loads. Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #20 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 4:12 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
Nice job Chris. Do disable IR port. It helps loads. Cheers
Thanks Hilton. Hows the trip going?
I recall either reading (or someone mentioning?) disabling the IR port... what benefit is it?
I intend to use it in the (Kerry's) car on other trips too, and so far I've found it helpful to have the remote (at least for playing with it while she's driving!!!).
I presume disabling it is a simple on/off button somewhere, or is it more sinister... haven't really read the manual yet... too much fun playing!!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #21 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:16 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Disable IR Port

Good thanks Chris. Still in London. I had heaps of issues with the unit jumping all over the place with unwanted scale changes (Mostly I use 800m or 1.2 km) also random pages poping up without need etc. Seemed to be worse with low sun angles hitting the IR port. At first I cut out a black piece of electrical tape to cover the port window which was fine, but a tip from this board told me how to do it using drop down menus within the unit. Sorry I don't recall which one and I'm not home to check. If you are also using it in the cage, menu would be the way to go. Cheers
Found it :-)
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...highlight=Port

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in