What about an Aussie CCR? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 4:39 am Thread Starter

What about an Aussie CCR?

This is just an idea, but I'd be interested to get some feedback from other Aussie LT's riders if there would be sufficient interest to consider planning an Australian version of the Annual Curved Cowboy renunion they have in the states?

I'm thinking something along the line of we arrange a meeting point each year where we could meetup for a few days, do a few rides together, and generally spend a few days sharing a good time with like minded LT riders.

Would many of you blokes be interested in doing something like that?

It may even be easier if we were to plan something that coincides with another event such as the Snowy ride that's held in Thredbo in November each year. See their website at www.snowyride.com.au

I generally take a week off and go to the Snowy ride, as the roads in the Alpine National Park are just great, and its always a great event.

This is just a thought, but I'm interested to know how many others maybe interested in the idea?

Cheers
Barry
Brisbane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 5:18 am

The first CCR started just like this, with a post for a get together (walk about?)

We met at a small hotel out in the sticks and had a blast. 40 some odd LT's looked like a sea of them.

Hope y'all can put it together, don't forget the tucker!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 3:27 pm

Talking Ulysses AGM's as a meeting place???

G'day Barry

I'd be interested in that. Be good to catch up with other LT owners. There are 3 in my Ulysses branch (Central Coast Riders Group) but it'd be great to meet others.

Just like the Ulysses AGM locations though, I think our LT brethren over on the west side of the country could feel left out because of the distances involved. I'd say most of the LTer's in Oz would be on the east coast.

Maybe look at South Oz or western Vic as a meeting place?

Sounds great to have an Aussie CCR. Just need to convince Mrs Dog that I really, really, really need to go .

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #4 of 41 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

Hi Dave,
Yeah, the AGM's would be another option to consider.

Cheers

Barry
post #5 of 41 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 2:31 am

Hi Barry,
I'm liking it... Something that we spoke about doing a few years ago here in Oz but it didn't get off the ground. I think that perhaps now that there are more LTers from Downunder on the site, we might now be able to get something happening...

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #6 of 41 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

G'day Ian,

I thought it would be a good idea too. But whether we have sufficient LT riders here (who can get to an event) to make it a worthwhile stand alone event may be the problem.

That's why my initial thought was that it may be a good idea to combine it with another event such as the Snowy ride, where the atmosphere of the event is great and the roads and scenery are superb. So that even if only half a dozen owners meet up, it's still going to be a great time.

The next Snowy ride is on in early November and I'm going to that. So if anyone else is interested in maybe using the Snowy ride as the base for a first Aussie CCR then maybe we can do something this year and see how it goes?

Dave has suggested the Ulysses AGM's, but I figured that may not suit younger LT riders who might also like to get involved.

I'll add a note to the main LT forum to see if it drives more people to this section, and I'll start a topic on the Ulysses website as well, and perhaps contact some of the BMW outlets here in Australia to let them now whats being planned.

Cheers

Barry
post #7 of 41 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryst1100
Dave has suggested the Ulysses AGM's, but I figured that may not suit younger LT riders who might also like to get involved.
Gents,

May be worth a quick poll to see how many of us are Ulysses members or are in the "correct" age group for Ulysses, love to get together somewhere down the track.

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #8 of 41 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 4:05 am

Col H

HI barry,

I would be all for some type of get together..
I belong to the Northern Rivers branch of the Ulysses and reside in Lismore, there is one other Lt in our branch..

Col H
post #9 of 41 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 6:09 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile What a great country to ride! Pick the spot.

Barry, count Rena and I in. Should be fun to catch up with the Aussie contingent. Any time Sept on. Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #10 of 41 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 7:02 pm

Cool The Honda CT110 CCR version

Morning campers,........

Honda's CT110 CCR extravaganza can be seen here at http://www.postiebikechallenge.org/

Hmmmmmmm travelling over dirt, gravel, and all that other crappy stuff that lives out back....Beryl may be a bit "put out" at getting down an dirty....

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430
post #11 of 41 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 5:17 am

An LT rider assistance program

Greetings.

What a Capitol idea!

Perhaps Onions could start taking names & addresses of all us LT riders in Australia for such a purpose. Or should we be touring anywhere in this most awesome country of ours and we strike some trouble of any sort, we could contact our friendly local LT rider for assistance. I for one, would be delighted to assist any other LT or BMW rider if they were out touring and a long way from home should they need a place to make repairs or need some local knowledge.

Kindest regards
Paul Harrington
South Australia
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #12 of 41 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 5:47 pm

Logistics is a problem

Living in Tassie is a bit of a problem getting to events, although, as a Ulyssian, I can sometimes make the AGM. I think that, if the majority of LTers are Ulyssians, then having the get-together before or after the AGM is the way to go.

Cheers
post #13 of 41 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin1952
Living in Tassie is a bit of a problem getting to events, although, as a Ulyssian, I can sometimes make the AGM. I think that, if the majority of LTers are Ulyssians, then having the get-together before or after the AGM is the way to go.

Cheers
Same thought, if we could tie it to either end of an Ulysses AGM that would be good for me. I don't miss the AGMs and after taking (on average) 9 days away for that it would be hard to justify another trip.

Daz

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

post #14 of 41 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 9:03 pm

Thumbs up Possible Dates?

G'day guys,
Sounds like if we are going to get this happening, that tagging it on to the end of another event might be the logical thing to do...

Can we have some dates of the various meetings please?

I am also more than happy to collate names and addresses of all members and act as a contact point for such. Perhaps once collated, I could e-mail the list out to each of the members who have volunteered their details...?

Cheers,

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #15 of 41 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 2:37 am
cws

Garage
Gee, I must have been busy for the last few days, to have missed all these posts..
Great initiative, hope we can all co-ordinate for something to happen!

Me, no, not in Ulysses... never got around to thinking I was old enough and dont usually seem to be able to match up my working schedule with anyone else's life... but thats the film game.
One day I'll grow up & join!

Snowy Ride 06, already booked in, then off to Tassie (as per previous posts). I'll be staying just out of Canberra on the Thursday night (9 Nov), at Thredbo (House of Ullr) Fri & Sat nights (10/11 Nov) then doing an early run on Sunday morning to the docks in Melbourne to make the Spirit, that'll be a fun ride (sore bum...).
Let me know if you'll be there, Barry (or anyone else!)

That will likely be my lot for trips until a short Xmas break, then see what happens in '07.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #16 of 41 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

Hi Chris,
Yes I'll be at the 06 Snowy ride. We're staying at the Berntis Mountain lodge Friday and Saturday night. Then heading home for Brisbane on Sunday.
We'll try and meet up down there for a ride. I normally do the Alpine loop if the weather permits.

I agree that since many of us are Ulyssians that perhaps taging something on the front or rear of an AGM makes sense, although I've never yet been to an AGM. Coffs Harbour next year! So that's an easy day ride for me :-)

So I guess the next thing to work out is how we're going to do it?
Do we want to keep it 5 star in keeping with our wonderful Luxury Touring machines like the U.S CCR does, or should we rough it a bit and stay at a good old fashioned Aussie pub or perhaps a caravan park where we can book several cabins?

Cheers
Barry
PS: Hope to get my rear shockie back today. Withdrawal symptoms are startng to cut in.
post #17 of 41 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 6:06 pm
cws

Garage
Bernti's is right behind House of Ullr, about 20 meter walk! We should catch up quite easily. The owners of Ullr are long-time friends of my partner Kerry, and they have a great bar downstairs.
My mb no is 0418411499.

If the next Ulysses AGM is Coffs Harbour, then I'd better look into joining, if that will become the catalyst for a CCR!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #18 of 41 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 6:21 pm

Wink How old do you have to be?

So just how old do you have to be to commence growing old disgracefully ie to become an Ulyissian? Not sure if I yet qualify...

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #19 of 41 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 7:15 pm

Ulysses

Hi Onions. You have to be 40 to be a "junior" member and 50 to be a "senior".

Cheers
post #20 of 41 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Tassi Trip

Hi Chris. May be able to catch up with you whilst you are in Tassi.

I live on the East Coast at Gray (Near St Mary's) on Elephant Pass. There is a ride down the East Coast from Bicheno to Hobart which is a rider's delight.

Cheers
post #21 of 41 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:07 am
cws

Garage
meet up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin1952
Hi Chris. May be able to catch up with you whilst you are in Tassi.

I live on the East Coast at Gray (Near St Mary's) on Elephant Pass. There is a ride down the East Coast from Bicheno to Hobart which is a rider's delight.

Cheers
Sounds good Colin! We are travelling north up the East coast though.
Staying at Freycinet on Fri 17/11 after 2 nights in Hobart, then ride up to St Helens for an overnighter on Sat 18/11, so it looks like you're about 1/2 way up?
Will make sure we get details before the trip.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #22 of 41 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:12 am

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by onions
So just how old do you have to be to commence growing old disgracefully ie to become an Ulyissian? Not sure if I yet qualify...
huh????? you kidding me???? you look about 95 in the shade......hehehehheh

Chris S...you MUST be older than me....so you'll be ok to join....one advantage of being a senior member is that you have priority over the "juniors" in parking spaces for the LT, ...........the "juniors" are expected to "wait" on the seniors when drink refreshments are required.....and ...hmmmm what was the 3rd one????...can't seem to remember now....oh well can't be important......doh!

Phill
1970 Honda 750cc four K1

Ulysses 18430
post #23 of 41 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:14 am Thread Starter

Hi All,

Looks like tagging the event onto the front or rear of a Ulysses AGM seems the way to go. Next year is Coffs Harbour so thats pretty central to all us east coasters.

I guess the next thing to work out is how we do it?

Do we want to, do it like the U.S CCR and make it a 5 star affair in keeping with our wonderful Luxury Touring machines?

Or, should we find a great little Aussie Pub somewhere to use as a base thats handy to some great riding roads and do a few day rides together?

Or, theres the option to plan a touring route where we all assemble at a starting point, and head off the next day for two or three days of touring around somewhere in our great country? Maybe plan it so we end up finishing at the start of the AGM?

What say ye fellow Lt riders?

Cheers

Barry
post #24 of 41 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:24 am
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillWard

Chris S...you MUST be older than me....so you'll be ok to join....
I think our age difference is relected by our bikes ages, Phill... I just couldn't wait till I grew up to get a new beemer... so I'm still growing, not quite a "senior" yet!
Don't let the grey hair fool you, I blame my mother, no... the ex-wife... yes, yes thats it, the ex.... all her fault, or maybe its the kids???
Now I have a nice bike instead......and someone who likes to ride with me !

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #25 of 41 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Talking Someone has to do it....

[QUOTE=PhillWard one advantage of being a senior member is that you have priority over the "juniors" in parking spaces for the LT, ...........the "juniors" are expected to "wait" on the seniors when drink refreshments are required.....and ...hmmmm what was the 3rd one????...can't seem to remember now....oh well can't be important......doh![/QUOTE]

Someone has to look after the old farts hey? Tell us a story Grandad

As for accomodation at the CCR, I'm easy. Roughing it is fine by me (old boy scout) with camping or going soft and getting a cabin . Either way, it'd be great to catch up with fellow LTer's

Ride safe all

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
What am I?

post #26 of 41 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 6:30 pm

Me too I hope

I will be at the AGM in coffs so will be able to do this, provided my banker is nice to me today.

Maybe a day ride and a eat out together during the AGM would be good, I would not like to miss the ride home with the rest of the boys and girls from our Ullys branch, we are taking several days and when all said and done that is as important to us as the AGM itself.
post #27 of 41 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 1:35 am

Coffs Harbour..... count me in.

I'll be at the AGM, and like Dave, the trip there and back will be a group ride with my Ulysses branch, so a mid week get together for the first time round would be good. As suggested, maybe a day trip followed by dinner to get to know one another?

Daz

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

post #28 of 41 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 3:12 pm

Talking Me too

Same here for me, up there and back with my mob. Really looking forward to this AGM as I missed out on Tassie this year. Be great to catch up with you blokes.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
What am I?

post #29 of 41 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

Sounds like combining something within the Ulysses AGM will be the way to go. I'm not able to make it to the AGM, but that's not a problem. Whats suits the majority is the important thing.

There are some great rides around the Coffs area, so any sort of get together for a squirt through the mountains will be a hoot!

Cheers

Barry
post #30 of 41 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 5:58 pm

G'day All,

Just got back from getting married in the Kimberley, Now that would be good if we could ride their but definately not for the LT. Heres a thought. Why not keep in the tradition of motorcycling and combine with camping or local accommodation. Kosiousko rally is held usually on the 3rd weekend of October at a place called Geehi, about 30km from Khancoban on the road to Thredbo, it's a quiet rally (we could change that) and it is run by the BMW club of ACT. Been a few times, great spot at the base of Mt Townsend.
fantastic ride area.
another option if Bright, it's the gateway to Thredbo, Hotham etc.

Just curious, but do we know how many LT riders on this forum and where are we all located.

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia
post #31 of 41 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
Just curious, but do we know how many LT riders on this forum and where are we all located.
Blaxland, near the foot of the Blue Mountains just west of Sydney.

Daz

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

post #32 of 41 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:12 am

Cool Let the frappr force be with you Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
G'day All,

Afternoon Jake,
That was the idea of setting this up http://www.frappr.com/bmwltausnz ....just need LT'ers up this top end of the globe to jot their signatures on it....

cheers

Phill
1970 Honda 750cc four K1

Ulysses 18430
post #33 of 41 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 5:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillWard
Afternoon Jake,
That was the idea of setting this up http://www.frappr.com/bmwltausnz ....just need LT'ers up this top end of the globe to jot their signatures on it....

cheers
OK..... just did it.

Daz

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

post #34 of 41 Old Apr 20th, 2007, 7:21 am

Hi Barry,
Sounds like a great idea. I read somewhere in your replies where someone else
from over your side of the island is actually thinking of us in the West.
There are at least twelve LT's associated with the Ulysses family in and around Perth. I'm sure once theres an association with an LT group it might even encourage Ulysses members to ride East simply to meet up with fellow LT riders.
As for the younger age group riding LT's my older brother has said to many times that he's not ready to retire to an LT yet and he's only 65yrs. Doesn't know what he's missing eh?
Anyway it sounds great and we'll monitor the progress from here, might even be worth announcing an interest at the AGM where we can meet and rub the flesh.
post #35 of 41 Old Apr 20th, 2007, 8:11 am

HI All

Barry that would be fanastic. I know from Vicki and My point of view we would love to meet other LT's.

but i think a event like this is something that we would like to grow as a standalone event.

I realise that a fare amount of Lt riders are part of the Ulysses and the AGM is stand alone event for the Uylsses Club.

We want this to be event in it's on right and as usaul always starts out small but as time goes along it grows into something larger that no one wants to miss.

Just a thought, but no matter what the majority decides we will be there with bells on

again fantastic Idea

regards Vicki And Kevin
post #36 of 41 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 1:48 am

CCR Aust

Just reading through the threads. I would be interested in a potential meeting of K1200lt's in Oz. Cant believe that there is another K1200LT in Blaxland and I haven't seen it! Please keep me posted of anything planned.

Larrikin
2000 K1200LT
Canyon Red
post #37 of 41 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 5:07 pm
cws

Garage
welcome

Hi Gary, and welcome!
Looks like a few of us will catch up in Coffs in 4 weeks time.
Then there's the Snowy Ride in Nov which is also a good opportunity.
We are a sparsely located so getting together seems a little awkward, unless its tied to another major event.
Chime in anytime with suggestions!
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #38 of 41 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrikin
Just reading through the threads. I would be interested in a potential meeting of K1200lt's in Oz. Cant believe that there is another K1200LT in Blaxland and I haven't seen it! Please keep me posted of anything planned.

Larrikin
2000 K1200LT
Canyon Red
Larrikin, that makes two of us.... always on the lookout for LTs but haven't noticed a red one around. Mine's been around the area (usually weekends only) since 2004. We should catch up sometime...

Daz

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

post #39 of 41 Old May 4th, 2007, 7:33 pm
cws

Garage
Agm-ccr?

Putting it out there for comment...

What constitutes a CCR?

Was the group meet at Snowy Ride (all 4 of us) last year our first Aussie CCR, or is the upcoming one at Coffs? Or was there another that qualifies for this that I missed somewhere in the past?
Or will this not count either since Onions won't be there (our official moderator)....???
Whatch y'all think? (in the vernacular of our US friends)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #40 of 41 Old May 6th, 2007, 4:46 am

Na it has to be a dedicated weekend for LT riders only not a mixed affair, So when does it happen?

02 BMW K1200LT. 02 Aprilia Caponord. 76 BMW R90/6.
post #41 of 41 Old May 6th, 2007, 7:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4462
Na it has to be a dedicated weekend for LT riders only not a mixed affair, So when does it happen?
Does not need to be exclusively LT's, just two-up luxury tourers.
To take from the CCR 2007 site itself "The Curve Cowboy Reunion is open to anyone with neither brand nor model of motorcycle being a defining criteria. The event will however, be predominantly populated by the BMW range of Luxury Touring Motorcycles".
We would have to come up with our own name for it though.
Any suggestions? Aussie Cruisers Reunion (ACR), Luxury Cruisers Weekend (LCW)

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in