G'day Mates, Canuck needs some advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

G'day Mates, Canuck needs some advice

Hi all

I finally got me a ticket to your neck of the woods for end of march. I am looking for advice on where to rent an RT from in Sydney...and of course some recommendations on things to see..... Its my first time to your continent and I want to see some neat stuff. I have about 10 days. Thanks for any input you can give at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 10:46 pm

Re: G'day Mates, Canuck needs some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
Hi all

I finally got me a ticket to your neck of the woods for end of march. I am looking for advice on where to rent an RT from in Sydney...and of course some recommendations on things to see..... Its my first time to your continent and I want to see some neat stuff. I have about 10 days. Thanks for any input you can give at all.
You might want to put this in the OZ Forum.
Did you try searching motorcycle rental in Sydney, I did last year & there are a few I seem to remember. 10 days isn't a lot to see OZ, that will most probably get you NSW, VIC, &/or Qld for a look. She's a big country just like Canada.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 10:50 pm
cws

Garage

G'day Yammer.

Never rented a bike myself, but there seems to be a few available with a quick Google of " rent BMW bike Australia" like http://www.compassexpeditions.com/re...cycle-rentals/
Don't know anything about them, just one that came up.

Big place down here as you might know, and "neat stuff" can be a damn long way in-between.
End of March it'll still probably be pretty warm, possibly a little wet or mixed weather, something to remember.

What sort or riding do you want to do, and what sort of stuff do you want to see?
Do you want, coastal, country, outback.... or a mix?

10 days could get you a fair way if you are into long distance riding... but if you want to wander round seeing the sights that'll limit your travel time a fair bit.
Sydney south to the Victorian border is say 9 hours or so...
Sydney north to the Queensland border is say... 9 hours or so...
Sydney west to the South Australia border is say... oh, 9 hours or so..
Sydney east to NZ is, well.... wet!

note: this is our state of NSW for example... http://www.visitnsw.com/things-to-do

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 8:50 am

Hi,
The times that Chris has stated are pure time in the saddle times. No side tracking.
One thing you did not mention, are you on your own? Where are you landing in Oz? With a bit more info, we will surely be able to throw some ideas your way. Perhaps even offer a bed.
Things to think about, you need to consider which direction you are traveling. Sun glare can spoil a ride, east morning, west afternoon.
Early morning and sunset outside the metros will have you seeing wildlife. I believe in Canada you have moose, elk and the like. Get the picture. This can limit your time in the saddle.
Our outback roads and law enforcement mean that you have to ride with respect for the conditions.
With these comments, we still have fun and you will have, hopefully the time of your like over here.

Brian

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 8:01 am Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the input thus far.

I should elaborate. I have had an RT for a while now that I had racked up a ton of KM's on touring North America till I had a nasty High side near home last sept. I now have a new Rt waiting for a new shock. they gave me a new 13 rt for a loaner and I am about to go for a rip to maybe colorado to do Pikes peak if all goes well in a couple of weeks. Love twisty roads will drive hours to find one....Did the TT a few years ago to run some laps. Was amazing.

I regularly hop on a plane and rent bikes on the other end for trips on my own or once in a while with a buddy if they are feeling adventurous. I have a K1600 waiting for me in london end of Aug to take a ride through northern France and Belgium and maybe Normandy to see all the WWI sites I can for the 100th anniversary.

There usually is no plan other than when to pick up and drop off the bike on my trips. I tend to fly by the seat of my pants and its worked out pretty good so far. I being in Canada am very used to long rides and 9 hr or 10 hrs in the saddle a day is pretty normal for me.

I think want to do the coastal thing and head up the Gold coast, I am always looking for twisty roads and I am not sure where the best roads lie in Australia. I have found some rental shops online and was only wondering if anyone had any experience with them Just looking for some personal experience on that. I've heard stories about bugs in your neck of the woods and was wondering a bit about that and what climate I might hit at that time of year.

But as for the ride I am looking for things to make a note of to try to see. If you know of an awesome road or a must see waterfall or mountain range....goofy point of interest I am all ears and really appreciate the input.

Thanks again all
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 8:21 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Make sure to include the road from Wauchope to Walcha.
Try to do it in the morning, heading west with the sun on your back.
Promise not to smile too much, it won't disappoint.
Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 9:04 pm
cws

Garage

Yammer, here's a couple of sites you can have a look through that list favoured motorcycle ride routes....
(note, for best biking roads I couldn't get maps to load in Chrome browser, but fine in IE browser)

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motor...-___21708.html

http://www.motowhere.com/listpaths/country/14/region/4

If you want to head north to Qld then you've got several options... stick to the Pacific Highway which is the main route north with most of the traffic, or veer inland a little where you'll find some great country roads (like Thunderbolt's Way http://www.thunderboltsway.com.au/ ) and probably the better touring riding. Plenty of towns along the way for fuel/accomodation/food.

Inland from the coast is a low mountain range (Great Dividing Range) that runs a fair way up the east coast, so most roads that transverse from coast to the ranges have some great winding sections.

There's no Public Holidays or school holidays in March 2015, so the timing is good.
March weather-wise should be pretty good, although there is a chance you'll cop some rain... depends on those el~nino/el~nina weather patterns... if Qld gets cyclones (usually late Jan through to early March) then the rain can travel a long way down the coast.

A favoured local run just south of Sydney for a day trip is through Macquarie Pass... a I took a US mate down there for a run and he loved it, he was on an GS800F https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDUgLIXP2G0

Hope this all helps to start with.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 12 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 10:20 pm

My cousin lives in Cairns, she's been their for over thirty years now... When my aunt was alive and went to visit I remember her telling me about the distances with nothing to see except desert. However she also mentioned the most awesome site for her was Ayres rock ( Spelling may be wrong) they picnicked their for six hours. Loved every minute of it. Hope it is in the vicinity where you are going. Don't forget to post some pics on your return. Have a safe and happy holiday.

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 10:36 pm
cws

Garage

If Sydney was say, Wilmington NC, then Ayres Rock ( now Uluru ) would be say Lincoln, Nebraska. Possible to do, but a big detour. ;-)
Cairns is a solid 2.5 days drive north of Sydney ( I've done it ) if driving at least 10hrs a day. :-)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton View Post
Make sure to include the road from Wauchope to Walcha.
Try to do it in the morning, heading west with the sun on your back.
Promise not to smile too much, it won't disappoint.
Cheers
Okay I google mapped that one that is looking like an excellent road!! thanks!!!
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Yammer, here's a couple of sites you can have a look through that list favoured motorcycle ride routes....
(note, for best biking roads I couldn't get maps to load in Chrome browser, but fine in IE browser)

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motor...-___21708.html

http://www.motowhere.com/listpaths/country/14/region/4

If you want to head north to Qld then you've got several options... stick to the Pacific Highway which is the main route north with most of the traffic, or veer inland a little where you'll find some great country roads (like Thunderbolt's Way http://www.thunderboltsway.com.au/ ) and probably the better touring riding. Plenty of towns along the way for fuel/accomodation/food.

Inland from the coast is a low mountain range (Great Dividing Range) that runs a fair way up the east coast, so most roads that transverse from coast to the ranges have some great winding sections.

There's no Public Holidays or school holidays in March 2015, so the timing is good.
March weather-wise should be pretty good, although there is a chance you'll cop some rain... depends on those el~nino/el~nina weather patterns... if Qld gets cyclones (usually late Jan through to early March) then the rain can travel a long way down the coast.

A favoured local run just south of Sydney for a day trip is through Macquarie Pass... a I took a US mate down there for a run and he loved it, he was on an GS800F https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDUgLIXP2G0

Hope this all helps to start with.
Thanks for the advise this is all good stuff. I am definitely taking notes!!

I should have also put on the list what I should be drinking for beer down there.....I highly suspect its not Fosters
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 7:43 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
.I highly suspect its not Fosters
strangely enough I like Budweiser

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in