5Likes
  • 1 Post By toastytrotters
  • 2 Post By PCH
  • 1 Post By bfree
  • 1 Post By Nil_Time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 21st, 2014, 2:02 am Thread Starter

Question Helmet Law

So after contacting Schuberth about dealers so I could get a replacement visor in Australia, they wrote back telling me there are no dealers here as they don't hold the Australian standards for helmets.

This led to a bit of investigation which has left me more than confused!

In a nutshell it appears helmets sold in Australia need to have the Australian standards mark for safety and it appears you can be fined by police for not having the correct standards. What I can't seem to fully understand is how and when this applies... For example, one website I was reading said all NEW helmets which seemed to imply existing ones were ok??

From a safety perspective I am sure that Schuberth will meet and maybe exceed Australian standards being a premium German manufacturer and supplier of the german police force but even if that is the case the lack of a certification will render these facts useless.

Does anybody know what the correct law is? Also apart from being fined, would it affect your insurance in the event of an accident.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mark

BMW R1200GSA (2015 model)
BMW R1200RT (2010 model)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 21st, 2014, 2:13 am
PCH

Re: Helmet Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastytrotters View Post
So after contacting Schuberth about dealers so I could get a replacement visor in Australia, they wrote back telling me there are no dealers here as they don't hold the Australian standards for helmets.

This led to a bit of investigation which has left me more than confused!

In a nutshell it appears helmets sold in Australia need to have the Australian standards mark for safety and it appears you can be fined by police for not having the correct standards. What I can't seem to fully understand is how and when this applies... For example, one website I was reading said all NEW helmets which seemed to imply existing ones were ok??

From a safety perspective I am sure that Schuberth will meet and maybe exceed Australian standards being a premium German manufacturer and supplier of the german police force but even if that is the case the lack of a certification will render these facts useless.

Does anybody know what the correct law is? Also apart from being fined, would it affect your insurance in the event of an accident.
Laws are different in different states but majority insist on AS sticker which only comes on AS approved helmets. To get approval a long and expensive test procedure. No cross recognition of international standards. Low numbers of potential sales make it unviable for some helmets companies to test. Ie BMW and Schubert.
Check your state laws. Qld insists on AS but maybe changing to international standards.
Regards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 21st, 2014, 2:52 am

Hi Mark,
I recently bought a new BMW helmet. Whilst fitting the Scala unit I noticed that as well as the BMW branding, there was branding saying that it was a Schuberth helmet.
Perhaps some of the BMW parts may fit your unit.

Brian.

2005 dark Blue with chrome option

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 21st, 2014, 6:02 am
cws

Garage
Helmet Law

Brian is correct, BMW helmets are made by Schuberth....
Got a Beemer dealer anywhere near you?

Oh, and from Insurance perspective I dont think I'd be game to try to claim for a helmet that doesn't have the AS sticker on it... Think it would potentially void policy in an accident.
And I have read Oz forum articles where police will check for the sticker at random stops... might have been on Netrider..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 13 Old Jun 21st, 2014, 7:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Brian is correct, BMW helmets are made by Schuberth....
Got a Beemer dealer anywhere near you?

Oh, and from Insurance perspective I dont think I'd be game to try to claim for a helmet that doesn't have the AS sticker on it... Think it would potentially void policy in an accident.
And I have read Oz forum articles where police will check for the sticker at random stops... might have been on Netrider..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks chaps.

So are BMW helmets certified here?

My wife and I both have Schuberth helmets and purchased the SRC system (Schuberth's Scala system which is a complete collar replacement). If we need to change lids the SRC may fit the BMW ones.

Mark

BMW R1200RT (2010 model)
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 21st, 2014, 8:12 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Thanks chaps.

My wife and I both have Schuberth helmets and purchased the SRC system (Schuberth's Scala system which is a complete collar replacement). If we need to change lids the SRC may fit the BMW ones.
Yep, currently System 6 I think.
I had a system 5 for a few years ( still in cupboard ) but didn't like fit or price of the 6 and went for a Shark Evoline full/flip instead.
Brian got a 6 Recently IIRC.... Procycles, Worthington etc carry them. Maybe call and ask about parts.
I like Worthingtons (Gosford) over Procycles.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 13 Old Jun 25th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Quote:
Thanks chaps.

Greetings,

I purchased a BMW System 6 about 3 months ago - and it is certified to AS, and it is made by Schuberth.

The helmet initially was somewhat tight and uncomfortable, but either it or my head has changed shape so it is comfortable - and very quiet. The flip down sun visor is also an excellent feature - and is shared by the Shoei, Shark and Nolan flip ups, I believe.

Tony

So many roads....so little time!!
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 1:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil_Time View Post
Greetings,

I purchased a BMW System 6 about 3 months ago - and it is certified to AS, and it is made by Schuberth.

The helmet initially was somewhat tight and uncomfortable, but either it or my head has changed shape so it is comfortable - and very quiet. The flip down sun visor is also an excellent feature - and is shared by the Shoei, Shark and Nolan flip ups, I believe.
Hi Tony

Just reporting back.. Picked up a couple of system 6 helmets a few weeks ago. They are pretty much the same as the schuberth helmets we had, although there are a few improvements, wind noise is much better.

I haven't tried fitting the intercom collar yet as the guy in the shop said I may have to start cutting bits which I really don't want to do!!

It was a bit tight on the first couple of runs, mainly on the cheeks. How is yours now you have had it for a few months?

Cheers
Mark
Nil_Time likes this.

Mark

BMW R1200RT (2010 model)
post #9 of 13 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 1:43 am
PCH

Quote:
Hi Tony

Just reporting back.. Picked up a couple of system 6 helmets a few weeks ago. They are pretty much the same as the schuberth helmets we had, although there are a few improvements, wind noise is much better.

I haven't tried fitting the intercom collar yet as the guy in the shop said I may have to start cutting bits which I really don't want to do!!

It was a bit tight on the first couple of runs, mainly on the cheeks. How is yours now you have had it for a few months?

Cheers
Mark
They loosen up after the first few prolonged uses. Very comfortable.
Just FYI, Qld on Feb 1 now also accepts European standard as well as AS
Means cheaper to buy overseas and still legal
Regards
Paul
Nil_Time and toastytrotters like this.

PCH
R 1200GS 2015

post #10 of 13 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 3:02 am

Paul,
Does that mean that we have different laws state to state? Legal in Qld not in NSW?

I would hope this will not last for too long.

As for the fit of the 6, I agree it was tight at first and still is snug. But not uncomfortable. Love the sun visor.

Brian
toastytrotters likes this.

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 4:48 am

G'day Mark -

As has been said, they do break in very well. Mine is now firm, but comfortable and I have no problem at all in wearing it on all day rides.

Cheers,
toastytrotters likes this.

Tony

So many roads....so little time!!
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 5:30 am Thread Starter

Interesting... I wonder how that will work when you cross states? If your driving license is from QLD and you head into NSW with a non approved lid does that make it ok?

Mark

BMW R1200RT (2010 model)
post #13 of 13 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 2:42 pm
PCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfree View Post
Paul,
Does that mean that we have different laws state to state? Legal in Qld not in NSW?

I would hope this will not last for too long.

As for the fit of the 6, I agree it was tight at first and still is snug. But not uncomfortable. Love the sun visor.

Brian
Yes, at the moment, we do have different laws state to state, but we do for almost anything. I believe there is a push for Qld new laws to be made national.
Best regards
Paul

PCH
R 1200GS 2015

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in