On the subject of Helmets - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 9:53 pm Thread Starter

On the subject of Helmets

Is there such thing as a reasonably priced QUIET helmet?

Background on this quest.... I used an open face HJC for years and was reasonably happy with it but decided to update from age standpoint and convenience of new drop down visors.
1st attempt was similiar open face HJC with drop down visor. Turns out I now need a 3XL where 2XL was always good.(headache after 1hr). Also the amount of wind noise increase was incredible (which I now attribute to the drop down visor air gaps)

2nd attempt was/is a 3XL HJC hybrid with drop down visor. It is comfortable but also incredibly noisy compared to the old open face. It seems most quiet if ridden with the visor all the way open.

Has anyone else experienced the degradation of airflow management with these drop down visors, and can you recommend a helmet that is quiet from a wind noise point of view?

1999 K1200LT 33K miles
1999 Concours 107K Km

Doesn't matter what you ride, but ride it, don't spend all your time polishing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 9:59 pm

Re: On the subject of Helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe
Is there such thing as a reasonably priced QUIET helmet?

Background on this quest.... I used an open face HJC for years and was reasonably happy with it but decided to update from age standpoint and convenience of new drop down visors.
1st attempt was similiar open face HJC with drop down visor. Turns out I now need a 3XL where 2XL was always good.(headache after 1hr). Also the amount of wind noise increase was incredible (which I now attribute to the drop down visor air gaps)

2nd attempt was/is a 3XL HJC hybrid with drop down visor. It is comfortable but also incredibly noisy compared to the old open face. It seems most quiet if ridden with the visor all the way open.

Has anyone else experienced the degradation of airflow management with these drop down visors, and can you recommend a helmet that is quiet from a wind noise point of view?
I have a newer HJC SY-Max III, im happy with it, although i ride with it mostly "Full Open".... but when closed i find it too be quiet when it comes to airflow. But then i havent tried anything else.

K1200LT
post #3 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 10:19 pm

I am in a similar search, but that is not my concern in this reply. I AM concerned about the headaches you are experiencing relative to helmet size. I would take a serious look at another brand other than the HJC as the shapes are different among the various brands.
Note about HJC....Not blasting them. I have three of them as their shape seems right for me. I have HJC Symax-2....too noisy.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 10:27 pm

New Shoei RF-1200 just released!

Sounds very good!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #5 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 10:56 pm

I have the HJC SY-MAX with lift up visor and lift up chin guard. Recommended not to drive with chin guard in the up position as it weakens the helmet. HJC provide extra pads for speaker space if not using helmet communication. I like this helmet but find it takes away the experience of riding the bike as I feel like I am out of touch with the outdoors like being back in the cage. Even with the visor up I still feel boxed in so an open face for me would be better. The noise from my experience is very little difference between all helmets. Just need to use ear plugs and get a helmet that suits your personal preference in riding experience. Plus different brands fit different types and shapes of heads. What might be good for a round head person compared to an oval type head do you get my drift here.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer

Last edited by Chayside; Oct 16th, 2013 at 11:22 pm.
post #6 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 7:13 am

Notwithstanding the fact that I have always ridden with a full-face helmet, I also use a pair of those teathered foam ear plugs used by construction workers. It's the best 3 for a buck you can spend. And yes, you can hear very well, in case you're wondering.

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
post #7 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
New Shoei RF-1200 just released!

Sounds very good!
I ride the RF-1100 and am looking for an excuse to upgrade. The 1100 has been a great helmet, it is relatively quiet and the shape is good for my head (not full oval but more elongated than the round shape favored by HJC).

I would suspect that the problem you are having is not related to the gizmos on the helmet but the fit of the helmet - the headaches are a dead giveaway. If the helmet does not fit correctly it won't seal properly to your head and noise will result.

The next problem is the word reasonable, that could mean a wide range to different people. I don't fancy a $400 price tag (what I paid for my 1100 a couple years ago) but I do consider it an investment in both safety and comfort for a long time. That being said makes it a little easier to swallow the bitter pill of pain that is $400. I'm kind of waiting for Shoei to upgrade the Quest helmet as I think that helmet is a better design for quiet riding but in the Devil's crotch (Arizona) I need airflow and the 1100 is better for that.

My advice is to try on a few different brands, go to a shop with knowledgable sales staff (not college kids and other miscreants) that can make helmet recommendations based on an assessment of your noggin rather than this is cool or that is hot right now... Different brands fit different heads, find one that fits well and then go home and read reviews or post for feedback to this and other forums, think it over to decide if it is 'reasonable' to spend the money to get it.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #8 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 9:49 am

No helmet made will be quiet enough. Always add ear plugs. I can easily hear my Bluetooth through the foam ear plugs.

I have a Symax-II helmet and when I ride big highways like I-80 the semi trucks will have my ears ringing within 30 minutes. with $3.00 foamies I dont have a problem.

I have a friend that rides with a $900 helmet and he as to have earplugs in as it's as noisy as all the other helmets. But if you want a list, Webbikeworld has a lot of them listed...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...lmet-noise.htm

they also have a great article on helmet noise.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #9 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 10:58 am

Check this one out. so many cool features (distractions?) that you wont care about noise Skully Helmet

Dave Oehler
2005 LT Dark Graphite - "K-Ship"

BMW-MOA 121422

post #10 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 11:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTOehler
Check this one out. so many cool features (distractions?) that you wont care about noise Skully Helmet

the company says it has yet to decide on a price for the helmet but that it will be a “premium product.”

I'm betting $2500 will be it's price point when they announce it.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #11 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 11:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
I ride the RF-1100 and am looking for an excuse to upgrade. The 1100 has been a great helmet, it is relatively quiet and the shape is good for my head (not full oval but more elongated than the round shape favored by HJC).

I would suspect that the problem you are having is not related to the gizmos on the helmet but the fit of the helmet - the headaches are a dead giveaway. If the helmet does not fit correctly it won't seal properly to your head and noise will result.

The next problem is the word reasonable, that could mean a wide range to different people. I don't fancy a $400 price tag (what I paid for my 1100 a couple years ago) but I do consider it an investment in both safety and comfort for a long time. That being said makes it a little easier to swallow the bitter pill of pain that is $400. I'm kind of waiting for Shoei to upgrade the Quest helmet as I think that helmet is a better design for quiet riding but in the Devil's crotch (Arizona) I need airflow and the 1100 is better for that.

My advice is to try on a few different brands, go to a shop with knowledgable sales staff (not college kids and other miscreants) that can make helmet recommendations based on an assessment of your noggin rather than this is cool or that is hot right now... Different brands fit different heads, find one that fits well and then go home and read reviews or post for feedback to this and other forums, think it over to decide if it is 'reasonable' to spend the money to get it.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/rf-1200/review.htm

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/gt-air/review.htm

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT

Last edited by Atomicman; Oct 17th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.
post #12 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Good reviews on the Shoei. I noticed another thread started today about helmet pricing. One member wrote he was happy with his $65 dollar helmet. Well if he is happy then so be it. But personally I have only one head and when it comes to saving it price doesn't come into it. The cheap ones are only good for saving your noggin whilst napping on the couch and being frightened you fall on the floor. My next one will be the SY-MAX III it has a great fit and much better peripheral vision. My current one has blind spots unless you can turn your head 360 degrees. This statement is not congruent with my earlier post saying the one I am wanting is an open face for better outdoorsy feel, I just want to keep my face intact and the SY-MAC III now has this bigger opening so I will get the best of both worlds. On a side note, how often should one change their helmet ? I had heard that after 5 years they begin to deteriorate and can fail. This of course could just be a selling point but don't know for sure.

BMWMOA

Uni Go Trailer
post #13 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 10:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside
One member wrote he was happy with his $65 dollar helmet. Well if he is happy then so be it. But personally I have only one head and when it comes to saving it price doesn't come into it. The cheap ones are only good for saving your noggin whilst napping on the couch and being frightened you fall on the floor.
There was a VERY extensive scientific review of helmets several years ago in one of the motorcycle rags - and surprisingly a $160.00 Scorpion beat out EVERY other helmet up to the $700.00 price range. It seemed the Scorpion did a much better job of distributing G-forces over a longer period of time since it was *softer*. It lessened the impact from your brain slamming into your skull - which is critical for avoiding devastating head injury.

The other helmets were just too *hard* and the Schuberth - a top of the heap helmet - came in among the least desirable.

As far as helmets needing to be replaced every five years there is some evidence the styrofoam shells breaks down over time - especially if they are left in a garage and exposure to fumes and large hot/cold temperature changes. The biggest issue is it starts floating on your head - they need to fit snug to be effective. I've had helmets get loose on me over time, but I've just compensated with a wicking head liner. I think if you take good very good care of your helmet there is no reason it won't protect you well past five years. However - I would like to think that protective technology gets better as time marches on, and that 5 year benchmark might be a good point to start looking for it.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 11:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

What Ron said. The idea that high dollar equals high protection is somewhat true, but it all depends on the type of accident you have. The "typical" impact speed in a motorcycle accident is below 30 mph. At that speed you'll get better protection with a softer helmet. Also, if you look inside your 900 dollar helmet you'll find the deceleration material is styrofoam, just like the 9 dollar helmet. So while that 900 dollar helmet might save you at 100 mph, at normal speeds it can actually cause more injury due to the hard outer shell. Bottom line is it's a crap shoot as to whether your helmet will best match the type of wreck you have. Any helmet is a good helmet so long as it says DOT on it. They're all noisy. Wear those earplugs now, or wear those hearing aids later. Your choice.

post #15 of 20 Old Oct 19th, 2013, 1:04 am

Thank you for your input, made for some good reading. I had never thought of a softer helmet being more better suited to impact than a harder one. I guess my next question would be is how do you tell a softer helmet from a harder one. I know the internals can overtime flatten out and make the helmet slacker. When that has happened to me I have always replaced the helmet. The shells have always looked good but figured it better to destroy the helmet and buy new. I have never bought used and would never sell a used one so I take a hammer to them.

BMWMOA

Uni Go Trailer
post #16 of 20 Old Oct 20th, 2013, 5:43 pm

To the point of the original post, I have a Shoei Qwest and I'm very happy with it from a noise perspective. I upgraded the visor to pin lock and it's awesome. I moved from a GMax modular, which was OK but noisy and not very comfortable.

Either way, there's plenty of evidence that even the world's quietest helmet should be worn with ear plugs.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #17 of 20 Old Oct 20th, 2013, 6:28 pm

Little Joe....I used to be one of those guys looking for a "resonably priced" helmet. After getting a shattered jaw, wearing a full face helmet, I quickly surrendered to the idea of the most expensive helmet is reasonably priced if it protects your melon.

I now wear a modular helmet (Nolan N-104). However, I also know that the helmet one of my road dogs may think is the best helmet out there is no where near as comfortable for me as the Nolan N-104. And they think the same thing about my helmet.

And yes, one of them did cause pretty serious headaches in short order. I think it was due to the way the pads were pressing against my temples. But the guy that owned it thought it the best thing since sliced bread.

So, in short, I think you have to go to one of those stores that just has a huge selection of helmets and start trying a bunch of them on. But I'd suggest looking for quality protection while you're looking for comfort....what ever the cost. jm2cw

Life long touring Harley rider now considering a BMW K1600 B or a K1600 Grand America
post #18 of 20 Old Oct 21st, 2013, 9:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie
To the point of the original post, I have a Shoei Qwest and I'm very happy with it from a noise perspective. I upgraded the visor to pin lock and it's awesome. I moved from a GMax modular, which was OK but noisy and not very comfortable.

Either way, there's plenty of evidence that even the world's quietest helmet should be worn with ear plugs.
+1 On the Qwest. Much quieter than the HJC modular it replaced but I still ride with earplugs.
post #19 of 20 Old Jan 13th, 2014, 7:39 pm

I just bought a Shoei RF-1200, all I can say its worth every peny. It looks great and very comfortable.
post #20 of 20 Old Jan 13th, 2014, 9:12 pm

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

Geez. . . and my K1200LT is named "Beano" . . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in