Rain Wear Who's the best - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Aug 5th, 2013, 6:17 pm Thread Starter

Rain Wear Who's the best

My wonderful Wallyworld rain suit finally wore out. At $14.95 it lasted almost 7 years and kept me absolutely dry in the worst Florida down pours. I can't find another one like it. I do know the next one will cost 3 or 4 times as much and won't be near as good. So please help me find one.

Rusty Mckay
Titanium 02 LT Parted out
'09 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Aug 5th, 2013, 8:13 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Rain Wear Who's the best

I buy mine at Bass Pro Shops in the rain gear dept. $50 to 70 gets you good gear. I wear my riding gear into the store & try on the rain gear until I find the easiest gear to put on. The rain gear with a liner seems to be easer to get on in a hurry & does not give you the wet feeling in a hard rain.

Some like Frogg Toggs I prefer the Columbia Omni-Tech Waterproof-Breathable gear because it rolls up smaller than the Frogg Toggs. I own both brands & kept the Frogg Toggs on my boat after I bought the Columbia gear.

I have never been wet one bit riding over 20,000 miles in heavy rain with the Columbia gear & my Alpinestars Gore-Tex boots with my Alpinestars winter Wr-1 Gore-Tex gloves or my Tourmaster DriMesh summer gloves.

One tip is to get a jacket with a hood so you can use the hood under the helmet to keep the water from running down your back.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old Aug 5th, 2013, 9:30 pm

My experience with First Gear Rain-man is the pants with a very wet crotch every time. They blew off bike from trip last week and glad their gone. I kept using them because I had them.

Now shopping for good pants. The jacket is nice with hood.

post #4 of 21 Old Aug 5th, 2013, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I buy mine at Bass Pro Shops in the rain gear dept. $50 to 70 gets you good gear. I wear my riding gear into the store & try on the rain gear until I find the easiest gear to put on. The rain gear with a liner seems to be easer to get on in a hurry & does not give you the wet feeling in a hard rain.

Some like Frogg Toggs I prefer the Columbia Omni-Tech Waterproof-Breathable gear because it rolls up smaller than the Frogg Toggs. I own both brands & kept the Frogg Toggs on my boat after I bought the Columbia gear.

I have never been wet one bit riding over 20,000 miles in heavy rain with the Columbia gear & my Alpinestars Gore-Tex boots with my Alpinestars winter Wr-1 Gore-Tex gloves or my Tourmaster DriMesh summer gloves.

One tip is to get a jacket with a hood so you can use the hood under the helmet to keep the water from running down your back.
Thanks,
I'll head to Bass Pro down in Fort Meyers

Rusty Mckay
'09 K1300GT
post #5 of 21 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 4:50 am
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper1612000
My experience with First Gear Rain-man is the pants with a very wet crotch every time. They blew off bike from trip last week and glad their gone. I kept using them because I had them.

Now shopping for good pants. The jacket is nice with hood.
Someone gave me a First Gear rain jacket & pants & they are the worst rain gear I have ever had.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 8:40 am

I've had success with Road Toadz by Frogg Toggs.
Hi Vis Yellow jacket with reflective piping.
Black pants with reflective piping.
Combined with turning the lower wings out and
the windshield all the way down.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

post #7 of 21 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 9:17 am

I have a one piece bmw suit.

Worked very well once I figured out how to get it sealed up correctly. Had a problem with a leak at the bottom of the zipper but just pulled the excess up so there is no place for a puddle to form in my lap.

No more problem!

My wife has frog toggs and likes them also....

Why am I here and what day is it??
post #8 of 21 Old Aug 7th, 2013, 12:32 am

I use the BMW Rainlock 2 suit. Great fit, visibility, water protection and breathability. I expect this suit will last as long as I fit it.

Worth the cost IMO.

Good luck.

Scot
post #9 of 21 Old Aug 7th, 2013, 4:36 pm

I have the First Gear HT overpant and have ridden in lots of rain, I have never gotten wet, I really like the pants.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #10 of 21 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 8:12 am

try to find out some web site that have suitable wears for rain and their price should be also according to the standard
post #11 of 21 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 8:16 am

rain wears with a hood style would be the best so that the hood can be wear out under the helmet and our back remain save from the running water
post #12 of 21 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 12:57 pm

You're living in a fantasy world if you think really good rain gear can be found cheap.
The low end range is either pvc (doesn't breathe and is worse than nothing), low end polyurethane coated nylon (doesn't breathe and is hard to put on), or tyvek (not durable). I've wacthed folks destroy those cheap yellow suits sold at big box stores on the first ride from wind flapping.

The best gear breathes well enough to be comfortable for an all day ride on a hot humid day and lasts as long as you care to use it. Provides total protection, of course.

AFAIK, there are only two things in this category- GoreTex or a copy equivalent- used either as a minimum weight membrane piece or mfd with a fabric outer meant to improve durabilty.
Prices for such stuff are $70-140 per top or bottom piece.

I use both types.
My membrane type GoreTex stuff includes a 30+ yr old LL Bean jacket and a current Cabela's Pac-lite. I finally wore out a set of 30 yr old GoreTex pants and replaced them with GoreTex Pac-lite from Cabela's because they are available in long length to better suit sitting on a bike.
A good combo type is the Tourmaster stuff with plenty of reflective material on it. SO uses it and likes it and I carry a set for car and outdoor use- doesn't pack down as small as GoreTex membrane stuff. Roadmaster used to make some good stuff of this type- don't know if its still available.

Re hoods- depends on the bike type. On my RT I never use the jacket hood- not needed. Might say different if I rode a naked.

A 1 piece is harder to put on than a two piece but some good one piece items can be bought for less than the combo price of a two piece set. The BMW 1 piece seems to be well liked by its users.

Of course, if you can afford the latest high tech gear like the high end RevIt or Klim stuff built with GoreTex laminates, you don't need rain gear. Such stuff is over $1K/set but is as good as it gets right now.

Jacket liners do poorly compared to external rain gear IMO. They're OK for short runs in the wet IF they're already installed when the rain starts (a big if). Not as useful if you're doing an all day ride.
post #13 of 21 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 3:01 pm

I bought a gore tex rain suit from motoport about 13 years ago and still use it. I am starting to get some wet spots (mainly crotch) and think it is about time to replace it. I bought pants and jacket that would go over my riding clothes so that it is easier and faster to put them on (never understood why you would want to take off your riding gear to put on liners and then put your gear back on). They pack small and I'll be replacing them with the same set from motoport. Here's their site: http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...tail&Itemid=15
post #14 of 21 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Tyvek disposable coveralls at $4.99 each can't be beat.. they pack down - when new - into the size of a t-shirt.

Bright yellow color is sublime when you need it the most.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #15 of 21 Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 7:44 am

I found a great rain suit at Nelson-Rigg.com. I purchased the AS-3000 and really like this suit. The Jacket is really bright yellow with reflective materials. The pants go on easy and have the boot straps to hold them down around your boots. I have ridden in very hard rains and stayed dry.
post #16 of 21 Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkriner View Post
I've had success with Road Toadz by Frogg Toggs.
Hi Vis Yellow jacket with reflective piping.
Black pants with reflective piping.
Combined with turning the lower wings out and
the windshield all the way down.
+1
Great value. keeps you dry & ask my pillion!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #17 of 21 Old Jan 14th, 2014, 7:13 pm

I use a Alpinestars El Nino rain suit, so far it really protects me even with a stormy ride.
post #18 of 21 Old Jan 14th, 2014, 7:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I got tied of pulling over to the side of the road to do the "rain pants dance" and constantly changing into the suit everytime a storm threatens....I spent the "bucks" and now use Klim Badlands pants and the Aerostich Darien jacket. They have performed flawlessly in two storms and I don't have any costume changes...and less stuff to pack on trips! Thank goodness for Gore tex.

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

post #19 of 21 Old Jan 14th, 2014, 9:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1811 View Post
I got tied of pulling over to the side of the road to do the "rain pants dance" and constantly changing into the suit everytime a storm threatens....I spent the "bucks" and now use Klim Badlands pants and the Aerostich Darien jacket. They have performed flawlessly in two storms and I don't have any costume changes...and less stuff to pack on trips! Thank goodness for Gore tex.

+1

2007 BMW R1200RT
2005 SV 650 "nekid"
post #20 of 21 Old Jan 18th, 2014, 10:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by localrider View Post
I use a Alpinestars El Nino rain suit, so far it really protects me even with a stormy ride.
Good lookin' Suit and I'm sure it works beautifully. But come on man, you live in Tampa, I live in Sarasota, and I would not last 10 minutes in that suit on a hot August afternoon, or May for that matter. I need something tissue thin breathable and dry, like your mouth after running the Dragon's tail in under 9 minutes.

Rusty Mckay
'09 K1300GT
post #21 of 21 Old Feb 9th, 2014, 8:04 pm

If its really really hot and I've only got an hour or less, I've been known to detour into rain -sans rain gear- just to cool off. Only take 10 min to dry out when riding so its not a big deal. You might be surprised to see how good it feels to get wet when its really hot and nasty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in