Bluetooth Helmets vs Cardo/Sena add-ons - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

Bluetooth Helmets vs Cardo/Sena add-ons

I've been searching here and not finding quite what I'm looking for. Anyone have comments in general about buying helmets that already have bluetooth, mic and speakers vs adding in units like Cardo or Sena? If the latter option, any recommendation on what helmets tend to work best (full or modular)? I guess the quietness and ability to install the cardo or sena hardware would be big items in that case. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 6:20 pm

Re: Bluetooth Helmets vs Cardo/Sena add-ons

My thought is, as you should replace your helmet every 5 years, then the BT needs replacing if it is embedded in the helmet. If it is an add-on then you just need to transfer it from helmet to helmet.

(I have a Scala-Rider)

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 8:08 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
My thought is, as you should replace your helmet every 5 years, then the BT needs replacing if it is embedded in the helmet. If it is an add-on then you just need to transfer it from helmet to helmet.

(I have a Scala-Rider)

Garry
Plus 1
I have the Scala G4 & love it. Works great for all my needs plus I've had it on playing music for up to 16 hours on 1 charge.
As for the Helmet it is what ever fits the shape of your head. I have the Nolan N102 that I'll replace next year(will 5 years old then) with the N103. I like the "Flip Face" over the standard full face.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 6:49 pm

I have a Schubert C3 with the SRC BT that is imbedded into the helmet. My previous helmet was a Nolan N102 and I wanted BT for it for the last 5 years, that is one of the reasons I bought the N102. However I did not think that was offered was quite ready for prime time so I waited and last year I eventually switched to Schubert. Costly, but quiet for me, and the SRC BT works for my application.

I think that there has been such a technology change in the last 3 years that by the time I make it through the this helmet cycle I will probably want to upgrade the BT also.

I suggest you get the most function available for the best fitting helmet for you on this go around and if you might be able to upgrade either the helmet or BT individually..

One more caution would be to only buy a BT setup that has firmware upgradability so you can get fixes and new function that becomes available.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 8:42 pm

I've been thinking about a communications system. Thanks for the excellent info and advise

GO HOGS!

2010 R1200RT
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 11:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver4242
I've been searching here and not finding quite what I'm looking for. Anyone have comments in general about buying helmets that already have bluetooth, mic and speakers vs adding in units like Cardo or Sena? If the latter option, any recommendation on what helmets tend to work best (full or modular)? I guess the quietness and ability to install the cardo or sena hardware would be big items in that case. Thanks for any help.
I bought a 2011 R1200RT last summer and went through the same deliberations. I first purchased a Scala headset, but it didn't pair properly with my GPS and iPhone, so exchanged it for a Sena SMH10 headset.

I installed it in a Scorpion Helmet. I don't know the model number, but it has a removeable chin piece which renders it a 3/4 full face without the chin piece, and a full face helmet with the chin piece installed. This is great for long distance touring, to be able to switch from open chin to full face helmet as required for weather. It also has a pneumatic thumb pump which enables comfortable tightening of the helmet if required.

What is best about this set up is the way the Sena wireless works -- it pairs to my GPS unit, which is paired to my iPhone. I like to listen to audiobooks when I drive, which I download to my GPS hard-drive. When I am listening to audiobooks, the GPS takes precedent if it needs to state a voice command to me, and the iPhone overrides everything is someone calls me.

It is difficult to use the phone at highway speeds (too noisy on the mic), but is passable at city speeds. The important thing is, if someone calls me I am alerted to the call and can choose to stop and take it. The GPS is supposed to display the caller ID, but it has a still unresolved bug wherein it always seems to display the first name in my contact list, regardless of who is actually calling. However, strangely enough, the customized phone ring for certain callers supported by the iPhone comes through, so I know which daughter etc. is calling.

Hopefully this helps, but advise if you need more info. Thanks.

Bellows

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in