Conductive thread, touchscreens, and motorcycle gloves - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 11th, 2010, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

Conductive thread, touchscreens, and motorcycle gloves

JimE was kind enough to send me a few yards of conductive thread, and I set about sewing it into the tip of the index finger on both of my gloves. It works great for being able to use the touchscreen while riding. I specifically am using an iPhone, but this will work with any of the glass touchscreen devices like Androids, iPod Touch, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 11th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Re: Conductive thread, touchscreens, and motorcycle gloves

Interesting solution.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 12th, 2010, 8:10 am

Just make sure you don't puncture the membrane on waterproof gloves (Gore Tex, etc.).

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 12th, 2010, 9:15 am Thread Starter

I don't own any yet, but plan to pick some up. Since the iPhone isn't waterproof, I figure I'd never be wearing them and using the phone at the same time.

I did a little riding and testing last night, and they work 95% of the time. I may add a little more thread not that I see which part of my finger I most naturally use.
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 12th, 2010, 11:19 am

Quote:
I did a little riding and testing last night, and they work 95% of the time. I may add a little more thread not that I see which part of my finger I most naturally use.
Glad it's working for you. 95% is better than I usually get while on the bike even if I remove my glove, what with the normal jostling while on the go.

Maybe after you get your solution tweaked you could post a photo of your final "contact patch". I'd be interested to see what you come up with as the optimum size of the patch.
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 12th, 2010, 2:29 pm

I don't have a clue as to why conductive thread on the tip of a glove would make any touchscreen work better... It's pressure sensitive.. NOT conductive...

Better to fashion a rubber tit on the tip of your finger...Dip it in some liquid rubber. Let it form a sharp point...The reason your glove doesn't work well is because it spreads out the contact patch too much... Perhaps your thread is giving you a smaller contact patch....And in that case I guess it might seem to be an improvement over the glove itself...
Maybe glue a BB onto the tip of your glove...That'd be great till you stubbed your finger on something.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Last edited by JPSpen; Dec 12th, 2010 at 2:36 pm.
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 12th, 2010, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

The older phones used a PRESSURE screen with a resistive membrane in between thin plastic and a sheet of glass. The term "touch" screen really should not have been used with those, but it unfortunately was. The new technology is capacitive touch. No membrane, just a glass screen that detects capacitance. Your body is a great capacitor. Zero pressure is needed.

The thread has to contact the finger, BTW, so it must enter the glove. I've chosen to make a large-ish contact patch with a very random pattern, so that it's much like your finger touching the glass. Yesterday I was able to reliably type out a text message with it (while stopped of course).

The pressure screen on my gps works fine with gloves without the thread.
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 18th, 2010, 1:58 pm Thread Starter

The random pattern seems to work well. Since the thread must touch the finger, I made sure to make it go over seams internally so there would be pressure against the finger. IE, enter the glove on one side of a seam, and exit on the other, loop around, repeat. After tweaking my first glove, and on the other two, I'm seeing nearly perfect performance.

Next up I'm going to build a handlebar-mounted switch to do answer/hang up and music control. It's very easy from an electrical perspective, I just have to figure out a good switch mounting solution and find a waterproof switch. I've considered hijacking the horn switch--who uses the horn anyway?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in