Long Trip? What about bike security? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 10:44 am Thread Starter

Long Trip? What about bike security?

When you go on a long trip, how do you protect your bike from thieves? If you stay at a motel do you have and extra lock or chain, or do you use Lojack or some kind of warning device?

What works enough to make you sleep peacefully at night knowing your bike is safe?

2007 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 10:55 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Long Trip? What about bike security?

I remove GPS, Sat radio, & Radar Dect. Then cover the bike & set the alarm. Next say Nighty Night & go to bed.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 10:58 am

Same here, just remove the gps and go to bed. I've been lucky. I try to park under the light and sometimes the clerk lets me park up front in their view. Also, I stay away from the seedy parks of town.

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:11 am

The last two posts say it all. I follow all those suggestions and have had no problems on numerous trips. Stay out of harm's way (bad looking areas), make it somewhat more difficult (locks, covers, alarms, take grabbable stuff like GPS) and you increase your odds of a problem free trip significantly.

Also, like cars, some models, brands are more desirable to theives. I suspect BMWs are way down that list.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:34 am

your kidding right?

With 123+k on my 02 LTC and near 60k miles on my 06 K12S, I put them in the middle of the parking lot and leave the keys so there easy to find!

ok ok, just kidding about the keys...but not the bike!
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:50 am Thread Starter

I also read somewhere that BMW's are way down on the list of bikes getting stolen. Don't know why, but good for us. What kind of sound alarm do you use?

I've read in several places that the most stolen motorcycles are Japanese sports bikes. I guess they are light enough to just pick up and throw into a truck or van.

2007 R1200RT
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:51 am

Many times when we know where we will be the next night, we call ahead for reservations. When we call we ask to speak to the manager. We explain that we are on a BMW motorcycle, and ask if we can park within sight of the front desk, knowing it will be manned 24/7. The entrance is usually under cover & well lit. If they say we can't we tell them we will stay elsewhere. They usually relent, especially when they see how good the bike looks, & hear how quiet it is.
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 12:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry5k
I also read somewhere that BMW's are way down on the list of bikes getting stolen. Don't know why, but good for us. What kind of sound alarm do you use?

I've read in several places that the most stolen motorcycles are Japanese sports bikes. I guess they are light enough to just pick up and throw into a truck or van.
EXACTLY!

But seriously it's true. When I was in Auto Theft, sport bikes were stolen from within parking decks a lot. Victims would were marveled that "That nice big Harley I was parked next to is worth more and wasn't touched!" No one beleived me when I'd explain that 2 guys can pick your GSXR up and put it in a truck and sell your plastic but there's no way they're lifting that Ultra Classic up by themselves and carrying it anywhere.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #9 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 6:35 pm

I use alarm integrated disklock (Xena)

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...fCatId=&mmyId=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry5k
When you go on a long trip, how do you protect your bike from thieves? If you stay at a motel do you have and extra lock or chain, or do you use Lojack or some kind of warning device?

What works enough to make you sleep peacefully at night knowing your bike is safe?

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #10 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 7:18 pm

I park it and don't worry about it. Its an LT. The average knucklehead trying to steal stuff won't be able to figure out how to open anything, let alone try to start it or steal it.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 8:05 pm

I am on night three of a five day business trip in San Francisco. My LT is parked a couple of blocks away in a parking garage. It is on it's center stand with the bars locked to the left and in site of the 24/7 manned booth. Other than that I figure is somebody gets on and rocks it off the center stand it is going straight to the ground hopefully trapping the SOB. Honestly, I lock it and don't worry. It's a bike, a great one, but still a bike.

I drive a Jeep Wrangler when not on the LT and I have had everything not bolted down stolen out of it. Now everything left is bolted down. Just be aware of the area you park in and don't worry.

2007 R1200R

2000 K1200LT

1978 R100S (long gone, but not forgotten)
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 8:17 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I just cover it up and lock it. Except in Gallup, NM. There I left the key in the ignition and didn't realize it until the next morning when I couldn't find my key!!!

I guess it is kind of like Mac's and viruses. Not a big market for stolen parts.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in