BMW Passenger Floorboards & Rider Ground Reach - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 10:30 am Thread Starter
SEG

BMW LT Passenger Floorboards & Rider Ground Reach

I need to get passenger floorboards because my wife really appreciates them on long trips. We had them on our Moto Guzzi and she loved them. Before ordering a pair of BMW passenger floorboards, I'd like to know if they cause the rider's legs to splay out a bit. It's an issue because I have a 29 inch inseam and I need as direct a reach to the ground as I can get. I noticed that even with the stock passenger pegs, when I drop my legs to the ground, they must naturally slip back a bit sometimes because I can feel the passenger pegs in the back of my calves. For those that have the BMW passenger floorboards, does it cause the rider to reposition the legs when stopping? I only get the balls of my feet down now and I'm okay with that, but I want to avoid having any less. I've had bikes where I could only get the end of my toe down, but that gets tiring 2-up riding, fully loaded with luggage and having to contend with long periods of stop n'go traffic, after a 600 plus mile day. I'd like to hear from those that have the BMW passenger floorboards. Thanks for the help.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299

Last edited by SEG; Jan 3rd, 2009 at 11:24 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 5:13 pm

Re: BMW Passenger Floorboards & Rider Ground Reach

I purchased a set of used BMW passenger floorboards for my wife and she loves them,
I also looked at the aluminum and the "generic" alternatives
but I could not bring myself to hang anything that ugly of such a fine machine.

To answer your question the floorboards have never been in my way
and they are adjusted to the highest position.

I admire your "commitment" I know the LT can be a "handful" to handle
and I have a couple more inches than you do. (inseam) ............ pun intended

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #3 of 9 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 11:12 pm

Thumbs up Re: BMW Passenger Floorboards & Rider Ground Reach

I've got the factory passenger floorboards on my 06 LT and have to say they do not get in the way. My inseam is 30" and I use a shaved (width) Corbin seat in order to get my feet flat on the ground. The girlfriend much prefers the floorboards to the standard pegs.

2006 K1200LT Magnesium Black
2005 F650CSA Silver
2001 K1200LT Tuscana Green (sold)
1999 HD Low Rider Blue & Diamond Ice (sold)
2005 645 Convertible Champagne (my favorite 4 wheeler ever)

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 12:00 am

We have them on our bike & I hate those damned things. Every now & then I'll clip the back of my ankle on one. Plus my wife tends to stretch out with her toes over the front edge of the floor boards. Then she forgets to pull her feet back when we come to a stop & I'll scrape the back of my leg across her toe. Not really painful, but irritating just the same. OK, so I'm a big wuss.

Wifey, of course, thinks they are the best thing ever, well, maybe 2nd best thing. Heated seats are her favorite.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 2:35 am

My answer is a combination of the ones above.

In normal circumstances, i.e. stopping at lights they do not not get in your way, but if you try and manoeuver the bike at all they can do.

Normally I would do that after the passenger has dismounted and it only takes 2 seconds to lift them up so that they are flush against the bodywork.
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 7:12 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
My answer is a combination of the ones above.

In normal circumstances, i.e. stopping at lights they do not not get in your way, but if you try and manoeuver the bike at all they can do.

Normally I would do that after the passenger has dismounted and it only takes 2 seconds to lift them up so that they are flush against the bodywork.
+1 the wife and grandkids love them. I like the fact there are height adjustable for each person. The only draw back is pushing the bike while seated (as in backing up) you tend to hit them with you legs. Easy to fix just flip them up

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
We have them on our bike & I hate those damned things. Every now & then I'll clip the back of my ankle on one. Plus my wife tends to stretch out with her toes over the front edge of the floor boards. Then she forgets to pull her feet back when we come to a stop & I'll scrape the back of my leg across her toe. Not really painful, but irritating just the same. OK, so I'm a big wuss.

Wifey, of course, thinks they are the best thing ever, well, maybe 2nd best thing. Heated seats are her favorite.
Would you be interested in selling/exchanging the passenger floor boards?

If so, please PM me. Thanks

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Champagne in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride' ".

Ed

2003 BMW K1200LTC - "La Vaca"
1999 Kawasaki Concourse
1993 BMW K75
1990 Harley Davidson - Softail
Prior to 1990 - too many, too fuzzy
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 9:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBMW
Would you be interested in selling/exchanging the passenger floor boards?

If so, please PM me. Thanks
Nevermind. I finished reading your post. I wifey likes them, they aint going nowhere!!!!

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Champagne in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride' ".

Ed

2003 BMW K1200LTC - "La Vaca"
1999 Kawasaki Concourse
1993 BMW K75
1990 Harley Davidson - Softail
Prior to 1990 - too many, too fuzzy
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 9:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBMW
Nevermind. I finished reading your post. I wifey likes them, they aint going nowhere!!!!
Ha-ha, that is exactly what I was going to tell you! She was the one who picked out the LT. I would have probably been just as happy with an RT or K1200GT.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in