Motorcycle trailer - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By GT-1
  • 1 Post By WillH
  • 1 Post By katnapinn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:08 am Thread Starter

Motorcycle trailer

Any suggestion for a good motorcycle trailer?
I have a 1200RT and would like to trailer it by my car. My intent is to be able to load the bike on to the trailer on my own.
I am looking for a trailer that is light,not too expensive and should be able to secure my bile really good.
Any recomendations?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Re: Motorcycle trailer

I use to carry a Harley Heritage 1200 Springer on this trailer.

http://trailerinabag.com/index.html
AttackPug likes this.

GT-1Let's Ride!
post #3 of 16 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 2:15 pm

Garage

There are lots of nice trailers out there. I have this unit the MC 10 single bike unit.

http://www.alumaklm.com/sections/pro...uct_category=2

It is easily towed with my wife's Bonneville. It isn't enclosed but is light weight and well built. I both load/unload the LT without any help thanks to the nice platform and hide away ramp. I think I paid about $1500, 3 years ago. It has made several trips across the plains (with LT on) and still no problems. An additional feature is to remove the M/C rail and haul lots of other stuff, insulation, lumber, etc. Ping me off list and I can send a couple of photo's in the "travel" mode.

radar

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

post #4 of 16 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 4:31 pm

D.J. I have a similar trailer and I am concerned about the steep ramp and the LT. I have been use to loading an Ultra Glide HD but this new LT and a definitely higher center of gravity give me concerns about losing her on the ramp. Any thoughts? Are you loading from a flat surface or do you look for slope to straighten out the ramp.
post #5 of 16 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 5:37 pm

I am getting this tomorrow:

http://topgearproducts.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4good
Any suggestion for a good motorcycle trailer?
I have a 1200RT and would like to trailer it by my car. My intent is to be able to load the bike on to the trailer on my own.
I am looking for a trailer that is light,not too expensive and should be able to secure my bile really good.
Any recomendations?
Thanks

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 9:28 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfindley
D.J. I have a similar trailer and I am concerned about the steep ramp and the LT. I have been use to loading an Ultra Glide HD but this new LT and a definitely higher center of gravity give me concerns about losing her on the ramp. Any thoughts? Are you loading from a flat surface or do you look for slope to straighten out the ramp.
My loading procedure for the LT is:

Secure the trailer to the car (parking brake set - standard safety procedures, etc.). Level is nice, but I have loaded uphill or downhill. The ramp slides out from under the rear and has securing slots to prevent movement. Ride the LT onto the trailer, stop the engine with the bike in first gear (so it can't roll), put the side stand down. I use the "soft ties" to prevent damage to the front forks. (the trailer has four tie down points two front and two rear). Using the ratcheting straps, with the soft ties place slight pressure on both sides of the bike, leaving the "down" side a bit loose, tighten the "up" side until the bike is level. The trick is, get the "down" side snug enough to prevent the bike from being pulled "over level" to the opposite side (very undesirable). Once I am confident the front is secure, secure the rear. As an additional precaution, attach a couple of the soft ties to the riders pegs, cross them under the bike, using another set of ratcheting straps pull to opposite sides of the trailer. Check the load after a few miles then every fuel stop make a "walk around" and tug on the straps, standard stuff!! I use the same procedure loading the "little" RS. Not recommending this, it's just what I do!!

That's it!

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
!
post #7 of 16 Old Nov 1st, 2017, 6:34 pm

Tractor Supply 5x8 utility. Modified with synthetic wood floor, diamond plate enclosures/wind break, installed with stainless h/w, reinforced front frame to tongue, Baxley Chock tiedowns in floor, etrailer side tiedown plates at front corners, allowing dual single straps from fork downtubes to front corner tiedown clips. No straps needed at rear. Easy load, easy out. About 4-6" of clearance at rear with load gate secured.

Got about $880 invested in trailer and mods, not counting Baxley Chock cost.. also invested in a Geza Cover to protect bike during transit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4780_1509578532388.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	135282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4781_1509578583977.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	135290  

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #8 of 16 Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 5:28 am

I, too, use the Aluma MC10, a one-bike trailer. As mentioned: lightweight, good build quality, etc., etc. I just had several pairs of additional tie-downs welded on to it -- now that I have used it several times I knew where I wanted better and additional tie down points. Aluminum tie downs are available from Aluma.

We have used the trailer for hauling garden tractors, lumber, etc. We keep finding ways to make it useful.
It's easily towed behind smaller cars.
There are times I wish I had one of the larger Aluma models. I recently borrowed my son's Aluma to haul two bikes.
I do not have the rail on this trailer so I put a Condor chock on it. A good chock is mandatory, in my opinion.

An enclosed trailer is the way to go IMO but if you want small, light, and inexpensive - this works well.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 16 Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 8:17 am

Garage

I used my 4x8 utility trailer that I had for years and simply added a front wheel chock and ramp but after almost dropping my RT unloading it by myself one day I decided to look into something better. On Craigslist I found a slightly used Ramp Free trailer:
I only paid $1200 from a guy who was selling his Harley and all his kit. It is perfect for my needs. Like the much more expensive, larger and heavier Baxley trailer, this one drops down flat to the ground so that you do not need ramps and it can safely be loaded/unloaded by one person in less than 5 minutes. I park my bike on the trailer when in the garage so that it takes up very little extra space. It has a Condor front wheel chock, leaf spring suspension, 13" wheels/tires, bearing buddys and seems to be very well made. I recently took it to VA and back and it was very stable at 70-75 MPH.

The only negative is that you have to unhook it from the vehicle when loading and unloading but this is not really that bad - I added a swivel jack to mine so that I don't even have to lift the tongue.

I think Ramp Free may be out of business but there is another company or a spinoff of Ramp Free that sells something very similar that does not require it to be unhooked from the vehicle:
There is also a company in N. GA that sells a similar type trailer.

I looked at the popular Kendon trailers but again, I am leery of any ramps for a heavy bike if I am to load/unload by myself.
kbob12 likes this.

Current Bike: 2018 K1600B
Sold: 2014 R1200RT

Currently live in North Metro Atlanta (OTP)

Last edited by WillH; Nov 2nd, 2017 at 8:28 am.
post #10 of 16 Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 9:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I think they only make trailers for the HDs, not BMWs...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #11 of 16 Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 5:48 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Baxley makes the best on the market. I have the GT2000 2 bike trailer with over 300K miles on it. I used it in my Motorcycle towing company for 7 years and kept it when I sold the business.
kbob12 likes this.

Stevie Shreeve
post #12 of 16 Old Nov 4th, 2017, 12:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

I own a Trailer in a Bag , although it never lived in the bag. It is a very simple trailer that is affordable compared to the popular units. My decision was to haul my cycle a few hundred miles so I could have my truck and bike with me. It works very well.
A few issues with it. It is an unsprung trailer. The lamps on the trailer go out often. I replace with LED lamps. No more lamp issues. The actual loading ramp is slick aluminum. My concern was slippage. I installed 4 inch wide 3M anti skid tape.

McWideglide

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
post #13 of 16 Old Nov 4th, 2017, 6:27 am

Garage

I found a 2010 Kendon single trailer a few years ago. My '05 RT and my CBR1000RR were easy to load with just the ramp, but the K13GT was a lot heavier so I added the ride-up tail section.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #14 of 16 Old Jul 20th, 2018, 8:31 pm

Correction on rear ramp clearance. I stated (About 4-6" of clearance at rear with load gate secured.) actually that clearance using the Baxley Chock is only about 1/4-1/2”. A buffer is required to keep gate from contacting rear tip of bike rack while underway..

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #15 of 16 Old Jul 21st, 2018, 7:22 pm

Cool Re: Motorcycle trailer

A more practical and DO Everything trailer from Home Depot 6.5 x 10 with drop gate you can ride up and over into wooden floor. That's mine and customized with a ride in Condor locking chock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-16 17.34.57.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	147237  

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #16 of 16 Old Aug 16th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Garage
I have a Triton aluminum trailer, AUT 1064 with Condor wheel chocks. It carries one or two bikes easily and is very light (about 400 lbs empty) and stable, even up to 80 MPH. Rated payload is 1800 lbs. My RT loads and unloads easily. Bought trailer used (5 years old) for about $1200. New are around $2300 I think. Excellent choice IMHO.

Motorhead1977, Albany, NY
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."--John, Viscount Morley On Compromise, 1874
Dissent is Patriotic - Let us never forget that America was born of dissent.

2018 R1200RTW - Mars Red
2015 Ducati Scrambler Icon - '62 Yellow
1987 Honda VFR400R Rothmans livery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in