Question about installing Luggage Rack - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Dec 29th, 2007, 5:21 pm Thread Starter

Question about installing Luggage Rack

I would like to know if anyone has installed an ASCycle rack on their LT to replace the top case? If yes, is it very difficult to do. I just bought on on ebay. I haven't received it yet but I'd like to know what to do when I do.

Thanks
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Dec 29th, 2007, 11:12 pm

Piece O' cake ..... Open trunk, Take out pin from travel strap & let it retract. Put fingers between liner and outer case either side of latch, break velcro free, remove liner.
Bottom of trunk will be 4 allen screws, unscrew those trunk comes off.

** Before doing that, lift rider seat and then unscrew and remove pillion seat.
Make note of large wire harness that comes from trunk ... Disconnect it.

The basic process

BTW. Your rack is whats known as the "Fort Worth Rack" and only sold by A&S, not manufactured by them.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #3 of 5 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 4:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
BTW. Your rack is whats known as the "Fort Worth Rack" and only sold by A&S, not manufactured by them.
... and you are going to love it!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 13th, 2010, 6:33 am

Re: Question about installing Luggage Rack

I absolutely love the looks with the Forth Worth rack. I still want an LT and the FW rack makes me want it. I might also change to a Cee Bailey's sport screen. I so want one!

This is the photo I drool over:

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #5 of 5 Old Jun 13th, 2010, 7:28 am

Re: Question about installing Luggage Rack

I keep going back and forth between the rack (I call it topless) and the top case. Personally, I think the bike looks better with the factory top case and I really do like having the easily accessibility of extra storage for daily use and travel. The storage available for longer trips is easier with the top case and keeps the bike looking better without items tied to the seat and back rack.

BUT - and a big BUT, I love the way the bike handles without the top case! It just doesn't seem like the same bike. I've got a handy storage bag that I can attach to the back rack, but it's just not as convenient as the top case.

So, I continue to go back and forth....... topless or not, The switch is easy, takes about 15 minutes, and as I get tired of one, I just go back..... In my mind, the perfect solution would be a rack with a quick top case attachment. No straps or bungees, but one that would clip on with a solid attachment.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in