2019 R1250RTW OBD-II Port - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Boxflyer
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 5:03 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 98
2019 R1250RTW OBD-II Port

Anyone know the location of the diagnostic port on the 2019 R1250RTW?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
deserttan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 5:32 pm
Senior Member
 
kellenbenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tyler, TX, USA
Posts: 2,059
Re: 2019 R1250RTW OBD-II Port

I'm not totally sure but I think it is the same as the 2017 and newer R1200RT. They are located just in front of the battery on the right side under the black cover that is above the engine. The cover requires a t-25 torx to remove the 2 screws for removal.

Ron


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
kellenbenz is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 5:46 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 98
Re: 2019 R1250RTW OBD-II Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz View Post
I'm not totally sure but I think it is the same as the 2017 and newer R1200RT. They are located just in front of the battery on the right side under the black cover that is above the engine. The cover requires a t-25 torx to remove the 2 screws for removal.



Ron


I looked there and didnít see it, I donít think itís round anymore. Thatís where it was located on my 2015.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
deserttan is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 6:16 pm
Senior Member
 
kellenbenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tyler, TX, USA
Posts: 2,059
Re: 2019 R1250RTW OBD-II Port

No it isn't round anymore. They changed it to a normal OBD2 trapezoidal shaped connector. It is lodged in a holder than can be difficult to remove. I tab must be depressed as the unit is pulled out.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
kellenbenz is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 13th, 2019, 4:44 am Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 98
Re: 2019 R1250RTW OBD-II Port

I found the port, I also found out the GS-911 program has not been updated to include the R1250RT. So it didnít do me much good.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
deserttan is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 13th, 2019, 9:44 am
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Middletown, RI
Posts: 88
Garage
I just updated my GS-911 WiFi on Wednesday and it showed all new models with the R1250.
beech likes this.

2016 R1200RT
Boxflyer is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 13th, 2019, 1:20 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 98
Re: 2019 R1250RTW OBD-II Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxflyer View Post
I just updated my GS-911 WiFi on Wednesday and it showed all new models with the R1250.


Thanks I will check it again now


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
deserttan is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 13th, 2019, 7:04 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 98
Re: 2019 R1250RTW OBD-II Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxflyer View Post
I just updated my GS-911 WiFi on Wednesday and it showed all new models with the R1250.


You were correct, thanks I updated mine and will add my new R1250RT to the list


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
deserttan is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old May 14th, 2020, 3:44 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 8
2019 R1250RT OBDLink LX Not Working (using OBDwiz on a PC)

I just received my OBDLink LX, but I'm having issues connecting to my 2019 R1250RT. I tried it first on my car (Subaru), and it worked fine, so I have the bluetooth paired, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm using a Windows laptop running OBDwiz. When I try to connect I can see that both the interface and ECU are connected (the little lines go from red to yellow. But it seems to hang up on the step trying to run OBD Protocol, which is set to automatic. It attempts three times, it confirms that both the ecu and the IBD are working, then I get the standard message to check 4 things: scan tool is connected, ignition is on, check that OBD2 protocol is set to the right one or Automatic, and that the bike is OBD2 compliant. I pretty sure all that is okay. I have some questions in my mind about whether the ignition is in the correct position. I have the pushbutton start system. I press the button once, all the gauges go through their test, and that's where I leave it. Is that correct? If I press the button again, it turns off everything.

What am I missing? It worked fine on my Subaru. The bluetooth is paired, and the proper lights are flashing on the OBDLink. Thanks in advance.
mverzola is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old May 15th, 2020, 7:56 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,919
Re: 2019 R1250RT OBDLink LX Not Working (using OBDwiz on a PC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mverzola View Post
I just received my OBDLink LX, but I'm having issues connecting to my 2019 R1250RT. I tried it first on my car (Subaru), and it worked fine, so I have the bluetooth paired, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm using a Windows laptop running OBDwiz. When I try to connect I can see that both the interface and ECU are connected (the little lines go from red to yellow. But it seems to hang up on the step trying to run OBD Protocol, which is set to automatic. It attempts three times, it confirms that both the ecu and the IBD are working, then I get the standard message to check 4 things: scan tool is connected, ignition is on, check that OBD2 protocol is set to the right one or Automatic, and that the bike is OBD2 compliant. I pretty sure all that is okay. I have some questions in my mind about whether the ignition is in the correct position. I have the pushbutton start system. I press the button once, all the gauges go through their test, and that's where I leave it. Is that correct? If I press the button again, it turns off everything.

What am I missing? It worked fine on my Subaru. The bluetooth is paired, and the proper lights are flashing on the OBDLink. Thanks in advance.
To use it on your RT, you need the MotoScan app, that is only available on Android.


https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...-gs-911-a.html

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old May 15th, 2020, 10:05 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 8
Re: 2019 R1250RT OBDLink LX Not Working (using OBDwiz on a PC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
To use it on your RT, you need the MotoScan app, that is only available on Android.


https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...-gs-911-a.html
I had read your long entry about all this, and it was the basis for my purchasing the OBDLink LX. I understood you (and Amazon's specs) to say that this setup would require an Android smart phone OR a Windows PC or laptop. Is there something different about the R1250RT? The Windows PC worked fine on my Subaru.
mverzola is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old May 15th, 2020, 1:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,919
Re: 2019 R1250RT OBDLink LX Not Working (using OBDwiz on a PC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mverzola View Post
I had read your long entry about all this, and it was the basis for my purchasing the OBDLink LX. I understood you (and Amazon's specs) to say that this setup would require an Android smart phone OR a Windows PC or laptop. Is there something different about the R1250RT? The Windows PC worked fine on my Subaru.
The key thing is the MotoScan app! Without that app, you won't be able to communicate with the bike! R1250RT should be quite fine, since I do see it listed in the app.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old May 15th, 2020, 3:49 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 8
Re: 2019 R1250RT OBDLink LX Not Working (using OBDwiz on a PC)

Quick followup: OBDLink Support got back to me and confirmed what PadG said. Unless I want to buy an Android phone, I guess I'm out of luck. I asked the Support guy if the OBDLink MX would work, since it can be used with an iPhone. He said I'd have the same issue....only Android and MotoScan app can be used on some motorcycles. Has anyone tried using the the OBDLink MX with an iPhone running MotoScan? Any luck?
mverzola is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2019 BMWís Tame the Tail of the Dragon GaryCulb18 Rides, Rallies and Get-togethers 24 May 7th, 2019 5:04 am
2019 RTE Ride To Eat Northwest TN Saturday April 6, 2019 See the Eagles Deerhead Rides, Rallies and Get-togethers 0 Feb 16th, 2019 11:23 am
Diagnostic Port power capacity JavaDave RT Series 6 Sep 4th, 2017 3:37 pm
com III port wiring layout sittonb K1200LT 0 Jul 2nd, 2011 10:22 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome