GS-911 reader suggestions - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 8th, 2015, 9:57 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

GS-911 reader suggestions

My GS-911 arrived today. I went through the registration, started downloading the software following directions and bam I get hit with NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS PHONE.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive android tablet? I mean really inexpensive, I've already spent my entire year end bonus getting my LT ready for summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 9th, 2015, 7:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: GS-911 reader suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post
My GS-911 arrived today. I went through the registration, started downloading the software following directions and bam I get hit with NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS PHONE.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive android tablet? I mean really inexpensive, I've already spent my entire year end bonus getting my LT ready for summer.
Same problem I had. Pain in the butt as my iPad is what I carry when traveling. I thought they would have resolved something by now with Apple. I understand they would have to pay an Apple tax, but so what, just pass it on in the price for those of us who use Apple products. Probably only $20/unit or less and I would gladly pay that to be able use the more than $300 unit while traveling.
JNW003 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 9th, 2015, 7:36 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Same problem I had. Pain in the butt as my iPad is what I carry when traveling. I thought they would have resolved something by now with Apple. I understand they would have to pay an Apple tax, but so what, just pass it on in the price for those of us who use Apple products. Probably only $20/unit or less and I would gladly pay that to be able use the more than $300 unit while traveling.
All things considered, it is a little ridiculous. The latest WiFi version runs $400.00. I can get a OBD2 reader for less than $50.00 and a really good one for $150.00. The bluetooth and WiFi readers are run anywhere from $20.00 - $200.00 and there is software available for all platforms.

Hexcode has a bit of a monopoly on these and they are specific to only BMW bikes, so they get away with the price, but you would think they would have software available for all platforms. I really don't understand not having it for iOS. They have the bluetooth version for Windows phone through 6, but not 7 or 8 and 10 will be out later this year.

I have a Kindle and they do run android but it is a modified android and most of the apps for the google version don't work on it.

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 9th, 2015, 9:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post

Amazon has some really cheap google/Android wifi only tabs for under $40 and up. I have been looking at one to throw in my top case for this purpose.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 9th, 2015, 9:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

What GS911 did you buy? Hexcode's web site says, "Use our GS-911 Downloader to get the appropriate application for your mobile or PC platform. We support Android, Black-Berry, WindowsMobile 5 & 6 and Windows XP, Vista, Win7 & Win8 for PC." Hexcode could make it easier, but the faq's on the website give pretty good instructions on installing the mobile device. You do need a Windows PC or laptop.

From Hexcode: "How to install the mobile software? A short generic description of the options available for installing the mobile software on your mobile device. From the Downloads page, you should download the GS-911downloader. This is a Windows application and should be run on any Windows PC/Laptop. See the F.A.Q.: "What does the GS-911downloader do?"

Once the Browser has opened the page that shows all the download links, browse down to all the mobile links and select the type of software that is appropriate for your device... i.e. the Android app for an Android device and the Blackberry app for a Blackberry device, etc. You should be seeing something similar to the following (versions and dates might change):" You can see the illustration on the website. Basically you download the mobile app to your desktop, then email it to the phone. !?!?

How inexpensive? I bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro 5000 Series 32 GB Windows 8.1 Tablet for $225. The advantage of Win 8.1 is you can run both the both the GS911 PC app, and the GS911 wifi app. Hexcode doesn't make it very clear that the wifi version (red icon) only has the emergency functionality. Basically you can read but not change or reset. For that you need the PC app (the yellow icon)

Motor On ,/'

Last edited by jkersh1; Apr 9th, 2015 at 10:20 am.
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 16th, 2015, 10:26 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I didn't know this got moved and after it was moved it didn't show new posts in the LT forum so it was buried a couple of pages deep.

I have the WiFi version. I have a Windows phone 8.1 so that it works with 5 & 6 dose me no good. They did have an explanation as to why it wouldn't work on the later windows phones, basically blaming it on microsoft. The funny thing is there are a number of wireless and bluetooth OBD II readers that have software for the Windows phones.

I was looking for android rather than windows because I'm talking really inexpensive as in cheap, under $100.00.

The sad thing is we were burglarized December 4th and one of the things they took was a Dell Venue 8.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in