BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Does This Drive Shaft Need Replacing? 2005 K1200LT

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  deputy5211 
#1 · (Edited)
Getting the parts laid out to put the fat girl back together, I cleaned up my drive shaft so I could mark the forward u-joint orientation for synching with the rear u-joint.

The rubber between the sections looks a little rough, maybe even a few pills sticking out. Is this normal? Do not recall smelling burning rubber. No slipping since I replaced the clutch and seals.

Still, since reading some threads on drive shafts wondering if this one is a problem in the making. Would hate to have to take her apart this far again because I did not check twice.

I have a couple of spare drive shafts here from pre-05 models. Would they work just as well if I did swap one in for my '05 LT? The MaxBMW site shows part 26 11 2 332 996 and the RealOEM site's cross reference states:

Part 26112332996 (Drive Shaft) was found on the following vehicles:
89V3: Details on 89V3
89V3 K 1200 LT 04 (0549,0559) N/A, Europe
89V3 K 1200 LT 99 (0545,0555) N/A, Europe

Below are two photos of the current shaft, with the shaft rotated 180-ish degrees between shots.

Soooooooo......... Good catch or just a little paranoid? :D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine looks like that too. I can take pictures when I get home this evening so you can compare...

#3 ·
If there were no rubber bits in the swing arm you should be OK. I just looked at my spare and I can read printing on the rubber. Of course it is a very low mileage shaft (<12K). My original at 50K is the first picture and the second one is one that is shot. If you have one that looks better I would use it. They are all the same.

Attachments

#4 ·
NO rubber in the swing arm. Dodged another bullet!

#6 ·
I do what I can, Brother Bill!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.