BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Failure to communicate

26K views 184 replies 23 participants last post by  12R12RT 
#1 ·
I'm sure this has been thoroughly discussed so forgive me and just send me to the thread (also not sure if this is the right place to post this)

I have a Sena SMH10-11 and would like to pair it with the stereo on my 2012 RT. I'd be really happy if someone could / would walk me through it.

Thanks!

#27 ·
12R12RT said:
.....Suffice it to say that A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) allows us to have a fairly high quality audio stream that is in stereo. That's what we want to use for listening to the RT AM/FM/XM and our .mp3 players and iPods.
Tom
aHA! So am I correct that unless I want a GPS that also produced music, there probably is no reason the BT on that GPS needs to have A2DP, correct? I know GPS voice prompts are in mono....on my bike they are also only in the right speaker (headset).

So that's good....since I do not need to play any music on my BMW RT with audio system.....but, that's good to know (A2DP), because I could put a A2DP GPS with music playing ability on it, and listen to music and GPS prompts using my BT (Sena SMH10).....or did I get that wrong?

I have learned more about BT and current GPSs in the last 3 days than in the last 3 years! :rolleyes:

#28 ·
12R12RT said:
I posted this on your other thread, too.

Begin by ensuring that all Bluetooth devices are off – computers, cell phones, cell phone headsets, etc.

Turn the SENA on by pressing the JOG and PHONE buttons.
Wait for the nice lady to finish talking.
Press and hold the JOG dial until you hear “Configuration Menu”. This will come up after about 12 seconds. Ignore any other instructions.
Twist the JOG dial one click at a time until you hear “Delete All Pairings”. Tap the PHONE button. You should hear “All Pairings Deleted”.
Twist the JOG dial again until you hear “Exit Configuration”. Tap the PHONE button. All pairings have been deleted.

Turn the RT on.
Press SET button on the RT audio panel twice until BT ON/OFF shows up. Jog the WunderWheel to take it to BT ON.
Press the SET button to go to PAIRING and jog the wheel to RESET and hold a jog until it says OK, that should clear any pairings.
Jog the wheel until HELMET 1 shows up, then hold a jog until SEARCH shows up. The system should be searching now and the BlueTooth icon flashing.

Returning to the SENA, press the PHONE button for 5 seconds. You should hear some beeps. The LED should be flashing red and blue. Immediately tap the JOG dial again and listen for “Media Selective Pairing”.

Wait.

The RT Audio should, after a bit, say OK. That means the pairing is complete. The SENA (going from memory) should say something about media pairing being accomplished.

Hopefully, all has gone well and the pairing is done. You should hear the RT Audio in the helmet.

Sometimes it will not take and you need to start over. Deleting the pairings in not a necessary step on a do-over.

I hope that works for you. If it doesn't, tell me what happened and I'll see if I can work through it with you.

Tom
Tom:

Worked like a charm. Thanks! The instructions were perfect.

#29 ·
Entropyd said:
Tom:

Worked like a charm. Thanks! The instructions were perfect.
Thanks for posting.....now I know it will work for me next week when I get my RT!

The Sena arrived today via UPS. I'm thinking about trying to pair it with my cell phone (or as I pairing my cell phone with it?) tomorrow just to see how that goes. I have a feeling we are going to get additional checklists from Tom! :rolleyes:

#30 ·
12R12RT said:
I posted this on your other thread, too.

Begin by ensuring that all Bluetooth devices are off – computers, cell phones, cell phone headsets, etc.

Turn the SENA on by pressing the JOG and PHONE buttons.
Press and hold the JOG dial until you hear “Configuration Menu”. This will come up after about 12 seconds. Ignore any other instructions.
Twist the JOG dial one click at a time until you hear “Delete All Pairings”. Tap the PHONE button. You should hear “All Pairings Deleted”.
Twist the JOG dial again until you hear “Exit Configuration”. Tap the PHONE button. All pairings have been deleted.

Turn the RT on.
Press SET button on the RT audio panel twice until BT ON/OFF shows up. Jog the WunderWheel to take it to BT ON.
Press the SET button to go to PAIRING and jog the wheel to RESET and hold a jog until it says OK, that should clear any pairings.
Jog the wheel until HELMET 1 shows up, then hold a jog until SEARCH shows up. The system should be searching now and the BlueTooth icon flashing.

Returning to the SENA, press the PHONE button for 5 seconds. You should hear some beeps. The LED should be flashing red and blue. Immediately tap the JOG dial again and listen for “Media Selective Pairing”.

Wait.

The RT Audio should, after a bit, say OK. That means the pairing is complete. The SENA (going from memory) should say something about media pairing being accomplished.

Hopefully, all has gone well and the pairing is done. You should hear the RT Audio in the helmet.

Sometimes it will not take and you need to start over. Deleting the pairings in not a necessary step on a do-over.

I hope that works for you. If it doesn't, tell me what happened and I'll see if I can work through it with you.

Tom
Okay, may have popped the champagne cork too early. Followed your instructions. It paired. It worked for a while. But, now, for some reason, when I turn the unit on with the RT radio, the Sena says "media found" (or whatever), the RT shows the bluetooth Icon, but no sound through the helmet (Sena) speakers <sigh> Any idea why?

#31 ·
Doh!

Mea culpa maxima.

What a maroon!

'Tom, you ignorant slut'.

Yeah, that's another thing.

It works best to turn the Sena on first, then the RT. When the RT is on first the Sena may not find it. I have no idea why.

You may also notice that, if you turn the RT off first, you will hear a big static crash in the Sena headset. I have no idea on that, either.

So try this order of things: Turn on the RT, make sure it's BlueTooth is enabled, then turn on the Sena. You should hear "Media Found" or some such.

When done, turn the Sena off first, then the RT.

What sometimes happens when you don't have the order correct is that you will hear the "Media Found", but the nice lady is lying. Then, after 30 seconds or so, she may say it again, only at much reduced volume, and that time she ain't lyin'. Best to follow the order.

I hope that does it for you.

Tom

#32 ·
Deek said:
aHA! So am I correct that unless I want a GPS that also produced music, there probably is no reason the BT on that GPS needs to have A2DP, correct?
Yes, that's correct. However, if you did want to listen to the GPS .mp3 player, you would either have to take the audio from the GPS via hardwire into the RT Aux, or you would have to pair it with the Sena, giving up the pairing to the RT, as the Sena can only pair with one device in A2DP. Or you'd have to use an SR10 sort of device, which is beyond my knowledge. ;^)

I know GPS voice prompts are in mono....on my bike they are also only in the right speaker (headset).

So that's good....since I do not need to play any music on my BMW RT with audio system.....but, that's good to know (A2DP), because I could put a A2DP GPS with music playing ability on it, and listen to music and GPS prompts using my BT (Sena SMH10).....or did I get that wrong?
See above. The trade-off here is that if you hardwire the GPS into the RT Aux, you would only hear the GPS prompts when you had the RT Audio selected to Aux.

I have learned more about BT and current GPSs in the last 3 days than in the last 3 years! :rolleyes:
It's one of those things that becomes clear after you've done it! It's hard to read a manual and get it.

Tom

#33 ·
12R12RT said:
Doh!

It works best to turn the Sena on first, then the RT. When the RT is on first the Sena may not find it. I have no idea why.

You may also notice that, if you turn the RT off first, you will hear a big static crash in the Sena headset. I have no idea on that, either.

So try this order of things: Turn on the RT, make sure it's BlueTooth is enabled, then turn on the Sena. You should hear "Media Found" or some such.

Tom
Color me confused, unfortunately that's becoming more frequent lately. Anyway, I assume that the above quote is a typo but wondering which way works best. My SENA is supposed to arrive on the UPS truck tomorrow and I'm hoping to pair it with the audio on my 2011 RT as well as my Garmin 2820. As such I'm looking for all the info I can pull together. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

#34 ·
Thanks, Lynn, for catching that. You are not confused, I am.

This is what I meant to say:

So try this order of things: Turn on the Sena, then turn on the RT and make sure it's BlueTooth is enabled. You should hear "Media Found" or some such.

Please note, though, that i'm not saying it won't work doing it the other way; I've found it to be more reliable this way.

Tom

#35 ·
I just run the GPS and iPhone to the Sena via BT. First, pair the phone, then pair the GPS via Sena's "Multipoint GPS" paring and there you have it - voice prompts from the GPS and music/phone functionality from the iPhone. Instructions start on page 11 of the Sena SMH10 manual. Section 6.3.1, page 12 walks you through the multipoint pairing stuff.

A little different than what you're wanting to do, but it may just be easier to bypass the onboard system altogether.

#36 ·
I was ready to say something, but Lynn got to it first. I always turn the Sena on first then any other device I am pairing to.

Just so revisit the Nuvi part...(sorry) you will find that they will not connect to anything other than phones. Garmin leaves something out or tweaks the software on all Nuvi bluetooth so they will not connect to headsets. They want to sell $700 Zumo's not $250 Nuvi's.

#37 ·
johnbaker15 said:
I was ready to say something, but Lynn got to it first. I always turn the Sena on first then any other device I am pairing to.

Just so revisit the Nuvi part...(sorry) you will find that they will not connect to anything other than phones. Garmin leaves something out or tweaks the software on all Nuvi bluetooth so they will not connect to headsets. They want to sell $700 Zumo's not $250 Nuvi's.
Which is why I often refer to them as Grrrrmin.

Tom

#38 ·
Lynn_Keen said:
Color me confused, unfortunately that's becoming more frequent lately. Anyway, I assume that the above quote is a typo but wondering which way works best. My SENA is supposed to arrive on the UPS truck tomorrow and I'm hoping to pair it with the audio on my 2011 RT as well as my Garmin 2820. As such I'm looking for all the info I can pull together. Thanks to everyone for sharing.
Yeah, I noticed the same thing....Tom has now set himself up as an Expert and will get to have everyone pick on him! :p

Man, there are a TON of us getting the Sena SMH10 and getting ready to use it with our RTs! My GPS is the Nav III, which is similar to the Garmin 2820, so you and I will probably share a lot of data in the coming weeks. My goals are identical to yours: want to hear:
1. BMW's audio in my helmet
2. BMW Nav III/Gamin 28xx audio in the helmet
3. (distant third) Abiity to use the cell phone while using the helmet.

Note on the BMW Nav III......I am not opposed to installing a different Garmin GPS if it has the routing, etc features I like to use (i.e., ability to turn off auto-recalculation, nice bright screen) and is under about $250. My wife's Nuvi 1490 is pretty good but I don't believe it's possible to turn off its automatic recalculation feature. That's nice for her, but a deal-breaker for me; I generally do NOT want auto-recalc as I often deviate from my planned route.....if I want it to recalc, I'll tell it! :cool:

My Sena SMH10 arrive yesterday and today I plan to charge it, and attempt to "test" it (and my patience) with my Nav III and/or my cell phone. I do NOT have the RT yet.....anticipating a next Tuesday delivery.

I will keep in touch on this forum relating to my success.....this forum has much better info on the communication-audio issues of the RV that does the BMWST forum.

#39 ·
johnbaker15 said:

Oh my, that IS a big deal and I am very happy you mentioned that......this connection pairing stuff, what connects to what and in what order, etc. is very confused to we ignorant masses! My Garmin Nav III might be the same then.....are you saying I am NOT going to be able to get it to pair to the headset and receive GPS instructions? I always figured I could not get stereo music from both the BMW's audio AND another stereo source, like a GPS which has a built in MP3 player, etc, but I thought I COULD get just the mono-audio GPS instructions in addition to the BMW stereo music, etc.

I am starting to get a headache....... :rolleyes:

#40 ·
12R12RT said:

So try this order of things: Turn on the Sena, then turn on the RT and make sure it's BlueTooth is enabled. You should hear "Media Found" or some such.

Please note, though, that i'm not saying it won't work doing it the other way; I've found it to be more reliable this way.

Tom
12R12RT said:

Tom
I like checklists, so I'm writing one for my use and anyone else who wants one. Would you please look mine over below and comment? Keep in mind I have not used my Sena SMH10 yet with anything, nor have I taken delivery off my 2013 RT with audio system, so I probably have a few errors......

0. If the RT Audio System and Sena SMW10 were paired properly when last used, skip to step 14.

Note: Once the initial pairing is completed between the Sena SMH10 headset and the RT's Audio System Bluetooth, the Sena should be turned ON prior to starting the BMW audio symtem. Several steps here relating to pairing should not be required.

1. Begin by ensuring that all Bluetooth devices are off – computers, cell phones, cell phone headsets, RT motorcycle, etc.

2. Turn the SENA on by pressing the JOG and PHONE buttons.

3. Press and hold the JOG dial until you hear “Configuration Menu”. This will come up after about 12 seconds. Ignore any other instructions.

4. Twist the JOG dial one click at a time until you hear “Delete All Pairings”.

5. Tap the PHONE button. You should hear “All Pairings Deleted”.

6. Twist the JOG dial again until you hear “Exit Configuration”. Tap the PHONE button. All pairings have been deleted.

7. Turn on the RT ignition and its Audio System.

8. Press SET button on the RT audio panel twice until BT ON/OFF shows up. Jog the WunderWheel to take it to BT ON.

9. Press the SET button to go to PAIRING and jog the wheel to RESET and hold a jog until it says OK; that should clear any pairings.

10. Jog the wheel until HELMET 1 shows up, then hold a jog until SEARCH shows up. The system should be searching now and the BlueTooth icon flashing (on the BMW).

11. Return to the SENA. Press the PHONE button for 5 seconds.
You should hear some beeps. The LED should be flashing red and blue.
Immediately tap the JOG dial again and listen for “Media Selective Pairing”.

12. Wait.

13. The RT Audio should, after a bit, say OK. That means the pairing is complete. The SENA (going from memory) should say something about media pairing being accomplished.

You should hear the RT Audio in the helmet...Sometimes it will not take and you need to start over. Deleting the pairings in not a necessary step on a do-over.

14. Turn on the RT ignition and its Audio System unless you just completed step 13. Verify Bluetooth is selected (see step 8).

#41 ·
Deek said:
Oh my, that IS a big deal and I am very happy you mentioned that......this connection pairing stuff, what connects to what and in what order, etc. is very confused to we ignorant masses! My Garmin Nav III might be the same then.....are you saying I am NOT going to be able to get it to pair to the headset and receive GPS instructions? I always figured I could not get stereo music from both the BMW's audio AND another stereo source, like a GPS which has a built in MP3 player, etc, but I thought I COULD get just the mono-audio GPS instructions in addition to the BMW stereo music, etc.

I am starting to get a headache....... :rolleyes:
Don't get a headache...yet. :D

The BMW Garmin Nav III will/should pair just fine, it's the Nuvi line that will not. All the older BMW Garmin Navigator II and III were designed to pair to bluetooth headsets or hardwire. They also have a 3.5 mm wired output that you could wire to an input of anything..like a radio or headset. Additionally the Garmin 2720/2820's do the same thing, not sure about the 2620. BTW Garmin does not support or repair these models any longer.

I have to take a pass on your list, I have a LT with no bluetooth anything.
Now get a headache. :D

#42 ·
Deek said:
I like checklists, so I'm writing one for my use and anyone else who wants one. Would you please look mine over below and comment? Keep in mind I have not used my Sena SMH10 yet with anything, nor have I taken delivery off my 2013 RT with audio system, so I probably have a few errors......

0. If the RT Audio System and Sena SMW10 were paired properly when last used, skip to step 14.

Note: Once the initial pairing is completed between the Sena SMH10 headset and the RT's Audio System Bluetooth, the Sena should be turned ON prior to starting the BMW audio symtem. Several steps here relating to pairing should not be required.

1. Begin by ensuring that all Bluetooth devices are off – computers, cell phones, cell phone headsets, RT motorcycle, etc.

2. Turn the SENA on by pressing the JOG and PHONE buttons.

3. Press and hold the JOG dial until you hear “Configuration Menu”. This will come up after about 12 seconds. Ignore any other instructions.

6. Twist the JOG dial again until you hear “Exit Configuration”. Tap the PHONE button. All pairings have been deleted.

7. Turn on the RT ignition and its Audio System.

8. Press SET button on the RT audio panel twice until BT ON/OFF shows up. Jog the WunderWheel to take it to BT ON.

9. Press the SET button to go to PAIRING and jog the wheel to RESET and hold a jog until it says OK; that should clear any pairings.

10. Jog the wheel until HELMET 1 shows up, then hold a jog until SEARCH shows up. The system should be searching now and the BlueTooth icon flashing (on the BMW).

11. Return to the SENA. Press the PHONE button for 5 seconds.
You should hear some beeps. The LED should be flashing red and blue.
Immediately tap the JOG dial again and listen for “Media Selective Pairing”.

12. Wait.

13. The RT Audio should, after a bit, say OK. That means the pairing is complete. The SENA (going from memory) should say something about media pairing being accomplished.

You should hear the RT Audio in the helmet...Sometimes it will not take and you need to start over. Deleting the pairings in not a necessary step on a do-over.

14. Turn on the RT ignition and its Audio System unless you just completed step 13. Verify Bluetooth is selected (see step 8).
When I get home from work at noon, I plan to go through this again. Tom's steps got me paired, but now, for some reason, even after the Sena's voice says "media found" and the RT bluetooth icon is flashing away, I get no audio (and I did originally) Arrrrggggggg!!!!!

#43 ·
One question I have (re: the Sena) before I "restore factory presets" as an act of frustration now that I lost my audio after having successfully paired, etc., is this:

There is another restore "button" according to the manual (which I just noticed though I don't have the unit in front of me at the moment) that you "press" with a paperclip end. Does anyone know what that's for? should that only be used as a very last resort?

#44 ·
Entropyd said:
One question I have (re: the Sena) before I "restore factory presets" as an act of frustration now that I lost my audio after having successfully paired, etc., is this:

There is another restore "button" according to the manual (which I just noticed though I don't have the unit in front of me at the moment) that you "press" with a paperclip end. Does anyone know what that's for? should that only be used as a very last resort?
That is a reset button, you can use that to restore to factory settings instead of using the jog dial and phone controls. Works just as well. BTDT.

#45 ·
johnbaker15 said:
Don't get a headache...yet. :D

The BMW Garmin Nav III will/should pair just fine, it's the Nuvi line that will not. All the older BMW Garmin Navigator II and III were designed to pair to bluetooth headsets or hardwire. They also have a 3.5 mm wired output that you could wire to an input of anything..like a radio or headset. Additionally the Garmin 2720/2820's do the same thing, not sure about the 2620. BTW Garmin does not support or repair these models any longer.

I have to take a pass on your list, I have a LT with no bluetooth anything.
Now get a headache. :D
Thanks, it is starting to make sense. This BT stuff is all quite new to me. I don't even use a BT "ear piece" in my car with my BT phone.....I might make 3 cell phone calls a week if I'm really chatty! As long as my wife is around, I really don't need a phone....all those who are married will understand...... :wave

#47 ·
Entropyd said:
When I get home from work at noon, I plan to go through this again. Tom's steps got me paired, but now, for some reason, even after the Sena's voice says "media found" and the RT bluetooth icon is flashing away, I get no audio (and I did originally) Arrrrggggggg!!!!!

I've already changed that checklist.....changed 14 to read:

"14. Turn on the Sena SMH10 headset then turn on the RT ignition and its Audio System unless you just completed step 13. Verify Bluetooth is selected (see step 8)."

I did that because I re-read the above and see where Tom or someone suggested the Sena should be ON before other devices are.

Also....in the last hour I unpacked my Sena SMH10 headset and charged it for a couple of hours. It is not installed in my helmet yet (see how optimistic -I- am!).

I first connected to my GPS a BMW Nav III circa 2006 that is BT equipped. I used these procedures which worked well, no issues at all....although I might have mis-written the talking Ms Sena does:

1. Turn on the Sena headset and press the Jog Dial for 5 seconds. See red light flash and hear “Intercom pairing.”

2. Within 2 second, tap the Phone Button. Says “Multipoint Pairing” and two beeps.

3. Turn on the Nav III GPS and search for Bluetooth devices. Select Sena SMH10 on the list. Will hear set of beeps then “Your headset is paired; Media connected, Phone connected”.

I played around with the GPS, selecting routes and whatever just to hear the Sena speak. Fine. One issue - I cannot control the volume on the GPS; but must with the Jog Dial on the Sena.....not sure how that will work since I always plan to listen to music from the BMW audio system AND use the GPS together. Have to try that when I get access to the RT. For now, I am pleased with the GPS to Sena sound at least.

Then I decided to connect to my cell phone. Keep in mind this seems to be backwards from what the Sena manual and their online videos say. No idea why. Anyway, these procedures worked fine:

1. Turn on the Sena headset and press the Phone Button for 5 seconds. until the LED
flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps.. “Hear phone pairing”.

2. Turn on the cell phone Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone. Then select the Sena SMH10 in the list. At some point select to be paired as Handsfree Profile. (note - this was not a selectable option during MY setup on a Pantech Ease cell phone. It apparently did that audomatically in the background)

3. On the cell phone enter 0000 as the PIN. Hear lots of 3 beep groups. Heat a double beep group when it's completed pairing, and says “Your headset is paired”. It's ready to use at this point.

I then tested it by callled my cell using my house phone - all appeared to work fine. In the Sena I could hear the phone ringing, anser it, speak, etc. But when I disconnected from the phone call, the GPS voice wasn't coming through anymore. So, I turned everything off, deleted the Pairing Information using the directions in Tom's post, and started over....this time I paired the phone first, then the GPS. After that things worked like they should.....then I played like I was parking the RT.....Left the cell phone on, turned off the GPS, then turned off the Sena.

Then after 10 minutes, I played like I was getting ready to ride.... I turned on the Sena.....it said "phone connected".....I turned on the GPS.....maybe 10 seconds later it said "device connected". It just takes quite a while for the Sena to say "GPS connected" apparently because my GPS is just slow to connect. So it may make no difference when the Sena/GPS is turned on. Which is good, right?

#48 ·
johnbaker15 said:
That is a reset button, you can use that to restore to factory settings instead of using the jog dial and phone controls. Works just as well. BTDT.
I thought the Factory Reset method with the paperclip on the back side of the Sena would drop any setting you made.....not just delele the pairing information stored on the Sena.

I used Tom's procedures* to delete the pairing info and it worked fine for that. I have no idea what the Factory Reset button would do.

*3. Press and hold the JOG dial until you hear “Configuration Menu”. This will come up after about 12 seconds. Ignore any other instructions.

#49 ·
Entropyd said:
..for some reason, even after the Sena's voice says "media found" and the RT bluetooth icon is flashing away, I get no audio (and I did originally) Arrrrggggggg!!!!!
That is a clue. When the RT is connected, the icon will not flash, it will be steady.

Try turning the Sena on first, then the RT. That's what I have found to be most reliable.

I that doesn't work, then do the opposite. That's not logical, but we're talking about stuff that runs on magic smoke.

What may be happening, though, is that the RT pairing is messed up. the Sena is saying "Media Found", so it sees it, but it is not saying "Media Connected".

Have patience. It will work.

Tom

#50 ·
Deek said:
Yeah, I noticed the same thing....Tom has now set himself up as an Expert and will get to have everyone pick on him! :p...

Noooo!

Idiot savant, one trick pony, something like that. I've had my RT and Sena for a year or so and have gone through several firmware upgrades and have done the pairing quite a few times.

That's all! I'm merely sharing what I have learned about how to pair. In doing so I reserve the right to be wrong, and admit it if I am.

Don't call me an expert, though. Them's fightin' words.

Tom

#51 ·
12R12RT said:
....we're talking about stuff that runs on magic smoke....

Have patience. It will work.

Tom
Ain't it the truth!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.