KonTour Seat Info - BMW Luxury Touring Community

Old May 23rd, 2012, 6:28 pm

KonTour Seat Info

Nothing complicated here. I have a 2012 1200RT with BMW's comfort seat. I am considering getting the KonTour seat. I would like to the opinion's/the inside scoop from those that actually have a KonTour seat.

Do you like the seat?
Is it comfortable?
Did it change your seat height?
Is it as cool as the say it is in hot weather?
Approx. cost?
Workmanship good?

Anything else you care to add would be appreciated. You can't beat the input from someone who actually uses the product. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2012, 7:45 pm

Re: KonTour Seat Info

Here is mine, about 3000 miles on it now...

Answering your questions:

1. It is the best seat I have ever had on a bike, period. That includes a number of big name famous "custom" seats. Kontour, for me, beats all of them.

2. It is very, very comfortable to both me and the wife. We ride in south Louisiana where it gets in the 90's temp with 80 % humidity. This results pretty quickly in a great discomfort and monkey butt if you don's sit on something like a bead rider, or get off the seat regularly to air out and dry the underwear. The Kontour actually has airflow your butt can detect, depending on what you are wearing. Have not had any discomfort at all in the high temperatures (90's already) and humidity. A couple of side benefits: the seat does not superheated sitting in direct sunlight for long periods, and it is waterproof, not requiring a cover like leather seats require.

For those who might be concerned about sticking to the seat due to the open weave mesh, you can still move around when running twisties. You are not locked into a single position like a lot of custom comfort seats force on the rider.

3. Seat height did not change, and it maintains the OEM contour unless you happen to be purchasing the "Magnum" which adds some wings for additional support.

4. Cost depends on your specification, and Ron will quote the specific seat cost to you via email. He is very good about returning emails, and appreciates feedback from users. They are competitive with other manufacturers, but present a superior (IMHO) product. You get what you pay for, and these are very, very good products. Quality is not cheap, and hey... we are riding BMW bikes, so what the heck !

5. Workmanship is outstanding. They only modify OEM seat pans, can maintain seat heat pads if your bike has that, and you can see the build quality quite easily all over the seat.

Initially I ordered the split seat upgrade, and then about a month later, sent Ron the money to do a full upgraded BakUp backrest which completes a very, very comfortable bike for me.

In short, that is probably the best money I have spent on a bike upgrade, ever. Except maybe the HID lamps upgrade and the Clearwater Krista LED lamps.

You can have any color you want, so long as it is black. Usually I do not care for black seats, but these look great, even better than the OEM stuff. Everyone who see them comments how nice they look on the bike.

I can, without reservation, recommend Kontour seats to you. They are also a board sponsor too.
MSF/RidersEdge Instructor #127350
NAUI Instructor #36288

Last edited by ka5ysy; May 23rd, 2012 at 8:01 pm.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 9:35 pm

Doug, my thanks to you. Your response was exactly what I was looking for.
Old May 24th, 2012, 6:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

+1, but what more can I say? I have a Magnum on my LT. Have had another custom, but not even close to the KT comfort. What I find really nice about the mesh is the ventilation in the summer, but still gives good heat on the colder days.

HTH,
Jer

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
Old May 24th, 2012, 6:37 pm

+1 +1 +1

I've had my Kontour for about 2 years. I love it. The venting works very well in the HOT south Texas heat. I did a 6200 mile trip that included west Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and southern Utah - never a hot seat or any "monkey-butt" at all. Ron kept the heated seat elements when they built the seat, and it works fine in the winter, too.

Craftsmanship is superb. No tears, loose staples or anything. Still looks brand new.

I don't know what Ron uses for the layers, but it works. The whole idea about eliminating the pressure points really happens.

On a side note - I broke my pelvis in a snowmobile high-side winter before last. I had real questions about being able to ride any distances after the 6-7 month healing process. Good news is - All is well - but I truly believe that the Kontour seat has a lot to do with it.

I get a few "looks" about it not being leather - but I really don't care. I get an equal number of questions about "does it really work?" from more serious riders. And yes, it does.

-Brian

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson

Old Aug 13th, 2013, 9:23 am

Guys, Ron just sent me the link to these comments when I inquired about the KonTour seat. It has now been over a year since you all posted these. Do your comments still hold true? Anything else I may need to know? I live in Southern AZ where it gets a bit toasty.
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT (Traded In)
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator (Sold)
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 11:03 am

Still the best seat investment I have ever made. Still do full tank rides with no need to stop unless my bladder says so.

High quality product, great service and actually works as advertised. Highly recommended.
MSF/RidersEdge Instructor #127350
NAUI Instructor #36288
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 12:34 pm

Thanks for the update Doug. I seem to be leaning toward the KonTour. I like the way it looks and the fact it will remain cooler and provide some airflow.
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 8:54 pm

I Have had my KonTour for a year now.
Yes it' flows a lot of air, esp. with mesh pants.
I can reach the ground ok with frankin boots + 7/8" soles
Not comfortable for me. Hot spots after 200 miles
Not sure if the transfered heater works as I froze in a early spring rain in April. The air flow over the cover may make heater inefective.
I have the Magnum and it is not comfortable longer rides
Several E mails to Ron were never answered about changes.
Workmanship seems good, cover shows no signs of wear.
I use it for short rides and just bought a Rich's to replace it for long multiple day rides.
Cost for riders seat magnum, recover pass. to match + shipping = $915.00
Russell was the best but too darn tall.
I was disappointed but you might get lucky.

Yes this is my first post here but I lurk and don't post. 46 yrs riding experience on all brands.
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 8:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyEleanor
Guys, Ron just sent me the link to these comments when I inquired about the KonTour seat. It has now been over a year since you all posted these. Do your comments still hold true? Anything else I may need to know? I live in Southern AZ where it gets a bit toasty.
Yep. Still thrilled with the product. One thing folks may not realize is there will never be a seat that you can sit on in ONE place for a long time and be 100% comfy. I do move around a bit, if not just for my legs, but also to keep any pressure points from becoming a problem. There's always some pressure. It's just a matter of degree. If all you're doing is focusing on you a$$ while riding, you're probably over thinking things and also probably not enjoying the ride.
The mesh will never be scorching hot if left in the sun. Get on and ride in comfort.

Just my $0.02,
Jer

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 11:24 am

Again, thanks for the replies. Like with most anything on here (tires, seats, windscreens, etc), YMMV. Seats in particular are really rider specific. Right now the stock seat isn't the greatest but by no means is it killing me. However, I haven't been on a long ride yet. Mid-September I am heading up into NM, CO and back through the four corners area to really get a feel for the bike and the seat. I should know more after that. I do have an Airhawk from my days on the Kawi and Victory I will be bringing along.
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 2:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyEleanor
Again, thanks for the replies. Like with most anything on here (tires, seats, windscreens, etc), YMMV. Seats in particular are really rider specific. Right now the stock seat isn't the greatest but by no means is it killing me. However, I haven't been on a long ride yet. Mid-September I am heading up into NM, CO and back through the four corners area to really get a feel for the bike and the seat. I should know more after that. I do have an Airhawk from my days on the Kawi and Victory I will be bringing along.
Hop on and ride to Las Vegas or LA. Make your fuel stop as fast as possible (so it's not like two separate trips). Remember every discomfort of your seat, and how long it took for you to notice it (then how long it took for it to get really obnoxious). A 400-mile ride is the test of a seat, jacket, brain bucket, gloves or boots. Any less and it's not a true test, and more doesn't really do anything for you.