User friendly way to use/set the AM/FM controls for the K1600GTL - BMW Luxury Touring Community

Old Dec 7th, 2011, 7:23 am

User friendly way to use/set the AM/FM controls for the K1600GTL

After reading the communication manual numerous times and playing with the controls for a while, I still can not explain in a simple and logical way how the channels are set , changed or located very easily. Just wondering if anyone who is good at it, and can explain it to me?

Coming from the K1200LT, which has similar controls, but they are different, I was able to struggle through and after several years of playing with them had the adjusted and they did work relatively well.

The new K1600GTL has radio settings and controls that must have been designed by a drunk on an LSD trip!

I can get into just about any car (except my wife's BMW!) and in just minutes, without looking at a manual, set the stations, scan, locate new channels and be IN CONTROL.

What do I have to do to put myself into the mindset of the person whop designed this system?

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 7th, 2011, 8:47 am

Re: User friendly way to use/set the AM/FM controls for the K1600GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
After reading the communication manual numerous times and playing with the controls for a while, I still can not explain in a simple and logical way how the channels are set , changed or located very easily. Just wondering if anyone who is good at it, and can explain it to me?

Coming from the K1200LT, which has similar controls, but they are different, I was able to struggle through and after several years of playing with them had the adjusted and they did work relatively well.

The new K1600GTL has radio settings and controls that must have been designed by a drunk on an LSD trip!

I can get into just about any car (except my wife's BMW!) and in just minutes, without looking at a manual, set the stations, scan, locate new channels and be IN CONTROL.

What do I have to do to put myself into the mindset of the person whop designed this system?
Same problem for me my freind , i,m still trying to work everything out on my bike , mind you after the reading the owners manual i did manage to work out the parking light using the l/h indicator switch . Got my bike in july .
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 9:12 am

Guess I can hijack my own thread - What's the parking light? Hi/Lo switch? What is that?

Guess I am still learning..... Had mine since July too, ~ #360 or something like that..

12 K1600 GTL
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 1:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dan,

Read this today..
the view from the BMW K1600's saddle reveals a rather simple layout, thanks in part to a ring on the inside edge of the left handgrip that serves as a multi-controller for many of the bike's functions. The system is navigated by rotating the ring to scroll through options, and clicking right (to "enter") and left (to "exit") the menu, which is displayed on a bright 5.7 inch TFT screen positioned between the analog speedometer and tachometer. Everything from stereo to electronic suspension can be adjusted using the multi-controller.

Now that SEEMS simple.

Sorry still looking around the Web.

Edit; Best I can tell from the Web is it works somewhat like the idrive controls in the cars. there are a bunch of videos on Youtube that walk you through using idrive.

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Last edited by johnbaker15; Dec 7th, 2011 at 2:13 pm.
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Dan,

Read this today..
the view from the BMW K1600's saddle reveals a rather simple layout, thanks in part to a ring on the inside edge of the left handgrip that serves as a multi-controller for many of the bike's functions. The system is navigated by rotating the ring to scroll through options, and clicking right (to "enter") and left (to "exit") the menu, which is displayed on a bright 5.7 inch TFT screen positioned between the analog speedometer and tachometer. Everything from stereo to electronic suspension can be adjusted using the multi-controller.

Now that SEEMS simple.

Sorry still looking around the Web.
John, I've actually got the controller thing under control and really do like the way it works. It seemed confusing at first, but after you have used it for a while, you begin to see the logic in it. It really is well thought out and easy to switch from one screen to the next with lots and lots of shortcuts built in.

My problem is with the four button radio switch control on the left fairing. That is the confusing one.

12 K1600 GTL
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 7:13 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:

Dan you gotta think like a German, you know German Engineering mindset!!!
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 9:25 am

What Dan says,hate the radio controls..
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 12:04 am

Wink Re: User friendly way to use/set the AM/FM controls for the K1600GTL

It's complicated until you get the hang of it, but that can take some learning. Funny thing is I looked at the included quick guide and it didn't make a lot of sense. I've just reviewed it again and it all seems simple.

Here goes my "simple" explanation.

Basic tools...
There are 4 buttons located on the LHS lower side panel.
The selected option will display in the dash display.
Use the Controller to make your selections.

The ON button turns the audio system on or off, and mute on or off.
If audio is off, then a short press turns it on. It needs to be pressed and held for 2 seconds to turn off
Pressing it quickly whilst it is on will MUTE the sound if through the speakers. Press it again and it will unmute.

The SRC button is to change between modes....Radio, USB or iPod/iPhone, AUX in that order. ( I believe SAT-Radion and Sirius are options but not on mine in Australia. )

The MODE button options change depending on the SRC mode.
On RADIO it changes between memorized stations (MEM), a system settings search (AS) or a manual search (MAN). Press it and it will cycle between these 3 options.
Holding it down for 2 secs will change to AM or FM depending on what you were already in.
Eg. If you are in FM MEM, press once quickly and it will change to FM AS. Press it again quickly and it will change to FM MAN.
Hold it down and it will change to AM AS. Press once and it will go to AM MEM, and again and it will go to AM MAN. Hold it down again and back to FM MEM and so on.
On USB or iPhone it displays the titles, directory, playlists,artists, albums and genres options.
Press it once and it will display each of these. Use the Controller to up/down between your available tracks/songs/albums etc.
Hold it down and it enables RND or random. I believe this will be in whatever of the above options you have chosen. Eg if you are in playlist it will be random in that selection. If in Album it will be random for the album selected and so on.

On AUX there is only one option. To change the volume of the AUX (Navigator). Very handy to know if you cant hear the voice announcements from the unit.

The MEM button is for storing a memorized radio station.
To store a station first select radio using SRC Button. Then FM MAN from the MODE button.
Use the Controller to search for a station either up or down. When you locate the station you want, hit the MEM button. Memory will flash on the display. Use the controller to up or down to an available memory number. When located, hit MEM again and it will store at that number. Keep doing this for all the stations you want to memorize.
There are 12 in FM and another 12 in AM.
To change between stations in memory, ensure FM/AM MEM is selected. Use the Controller to up or down to the memorized stations.

MENU Button for changing audio options.
Press the menu button to select AUDIO.
Selections are loudspeaker, sound, tuner, BT Pairing. (and Sirius if you have it available.)
Loudspeaker is either on or off. Sometimes on BT it turns the loudspeaker off but does not reactivate it when not on BT. Select loudspeaker and then re-activate the sound if you don't have sound from the speakers.
Sound has Treble, Bass, (both with +6 to -6 selections), S-VOL ( for auto adjusting based on speed), Loudness on or off (this amps up the sound output,) and AUX volume (there are 6 levels.)
Tuner is the TP, REG, RDS on or off. not really sure what all these are...we only have RDS.
BT Pairing is a whole other topic that's been covered in depth elsewhere.

Hope all this helps.

As Dan says the Controller is really easy once you get used to it. I had it on my RT so not much learning with the new bike although there are a few more options.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 6:56 am

David, I'll print out your instructions and really try to give it some serious effort.

Probably should hook up the charger too at the same time...and get a large cup of coffee and maybe a little zen mumbling.... Wow! I sincerely appreciate your effort...

Instructions to set a radio station on my SUV & every other vehicle owned:

Dial in station you want to store, push and hold button!

12 K1600 GTL
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 7:19 am

Dan - all too often we envision global system understanding, when, in reality, all we need is functionality of a subsystem. I, too, struggled with the audio controls until I found the minor set of options which satisfied my riding needs. With more time on the bike I am certain this list of options will expand. I normally do not use all modes of signal, currently using sat, fm, and ipod. For me these are easily manageable while riding. The fairing buttons caused me the most frustration.

The description provided earlier is a good summary of the roadmap. I will probably print it out and save for a rainy day - may put it under the top box carpet.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 3:50 pm

Did you guys get the small plastic coated fold up card with your audio kit? It's a real simple overview once you know your way around basically. I keep it in the LHS compartment just in case.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilergy
Did you guys get the small plastic coated fold up card with your audio kit? It's a real simple overview once you know your way around basically. I keep it in the LHS compartment just in case.
I don't remember seeing it. Any chance you could copy and attach it?

12 K1600 GTL
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Old Dec 10th, 2011, 8:31 pm

Here you go.

Sorry about the double up post?? not sure why.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Quickstart Guide 1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	851.5 KB
ID:	33811   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Quickstart Guide 2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	847.1 KB
ID:	33812  
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 6:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilergy
Here you go.

Sorry about the double up post?? not sure why.
I didn't receive that so I guess I get in touch with my dealer to see if they have it laying around someplace! Is there by any chance a part or reference number for it?

12 K1600 GTL
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 12:34 pm

Quote:
David, I'll print out your instructions and really try to give it some serious effort.

Probably should hook up the charger too at the same time...and get a large cup of coffee and maybe a little zen mumbling.... Wow! I sincerely appreciate your effort...

Instructions to set a radio station on my SUV & every other vehicle owned:

Dial in station you want to store, push and hold button!
I think the key metaphorical hurdle is the fact that there aren't a bunch of dedicated buttons like on a car system. Instead, there are virtual buttons - "slots" - and that makes it a two-step process:
- the requirement to push the MEM button (like holding in one of the station buttons on your car)
- the requirement to select the virtual button via the menu controller (like reaching out and touching the physical button on your car)
MOA #161841
IBA #54742
--
Previously '07 FJR, '99 LT, '05 FJR, '78 KZ650
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 3:35 pm

Theres an order number on the front page. Bottom left corner of the first thumbnail.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 5:50 pm

thanks

looks like 01 41 8 524 331 and the date is 08/2011 a month after I got my bike!

No wonder I didn't get it. Have to see what my dealer can do for me on Monday...

12 K1600 GTL
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 1:49 am

Realized today I made an error on the AUX note about volume.

It does turn up the aux volume but also everything else.

The only way to change navigator that I can see is via the aux settings on the controller. It's still a bit quieter though than the radio.

Great on the helmet with BT though.
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 9:32 am

Dan,

The key to understanding German Engineering is the BierStube. Glockenspiel musik is optional, but the draft beer in large steins is mandatory. After a few, it will all be clear. The trouble is that when tomorrow comes, the headache will be there, but the understanding may not.

Bill
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 9:51 am

Programming the radio on the K1200LT was a snap compared to the K1600! I must not be drinking (BierStube) enough..... What a PITA....

Got to get back on the bike with a drink and start texting and placing a cell call. Ya. That should get it done!

Maybe it's time to turn on the satellite radio too. Haven't done that either.

12 K1600 GTL
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 12:30 pm

dan
not trying to hi jack your thread, but.......our rideing season is well over but i assume you are still riding in fla. (you guys suck-i kid i kid). so i have a lot of time on my hands.
now that you have had the 1600 for a while waht are your impressions. how does it compare to the LT in terms of comfort, handling? how many miles do you have?
thanks, john
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:46 pm

These were really good. I agree w/Dan it does seem very complicated. When I do use the radio I hit the MEM button & hold it while it scans & it locks in on the local stations. Since I travel from the east coast of Fl to the west coast, I find myself doing this when a station begins to fade.

I mostly use an mp3 thumb drive since I have not been able to hook up my iPod as it states in the manual. I went back to the dealer & they could not hook up any iPod to any of the 1600's on the floor either. The service manager sent an email out to BMW & got a reply basically stating that there wasn't anything the dealer could do fix the problem & that they were working on a fix. That was in May & so far no fix. Not sure if it's the same on your side of the BMW world?
1986 Honda 750cc
250 Honda Helix
500 Honda
350 Honda
500 Kawasaki 2 stroke