R1200RT service costs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

Old Sep 21st, 2011, 4:13 pm

Unhappy R1200RT service costs

I have just had my 2008 R1200RT put through its 12000 mile/20,000 kms service in Moncton New Brunswick, my nearest BMW dealer. Fixed price, so they say, at $601.06 before tax. Add a leaking rear axle oil seal and the bill comes to $949.60. I have always keep to the book and had my bikes serviced by BMW but this is crazy. As I get closer to retiring I have been spending time on planning some serious riding but, at these prices, I either have to learn to do it myself or get a Honda.
That's the grumbling over, the real issue is the leaking oil seal. We had just come back from a two-up camping trip, the main use the bike gets and, while we are fully loaded, we are still comfortably under the weight maximums. Is this an issue that others have seen?
I love the bike, this is the fifth BMW but it has already had a new key/security swop and a new gas tank sender so is this the norm for the new generation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 21st, 2011, 4:38 pm

Re: R1200RT service costs

The service cost is pretty typical for that service and basic service costs are a reason many of us do our own. But you need a GS-911 to clear codes and reset your service indicator or you'll have to pay the dealer for that (or ignore it).
The charge for the seal replacement seems excessive if its the usual large seal failure. The parts was $31 in the US when I looked at it about a year ago and the job is a simple one that a requires no significant work- assuming you're talking about the large seal by the rear rear black plastic- which is the one the often develops a leak.
Now for the bad news- the seal leak is often but not always a warning of an impending final drive failure. Were any other parts used or work done on yor FD, or comments from the tech?
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 4:55 pm

Thank you, I think for your comments, just what I need to cheer me up, LOL. The mechanic made no comments, just a leaking seal at $31.30 Canadian. If I think over the last couple of days when I ran it pretty hard, it seemed to have more driveline lash than before although I thought that was simply my big feet in their new big boots. Are there any other hints I should be looking out for although I may not get many more chances to drive before it starts to get cold.
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 5:31 pm

I'd do a little looking around in your area for a independent to work on my bike. I'm 110 miles from the nearest beemer dealer BUT I have a local indy that has worked on beemers for decades. Oil and such I do myself but the valve checks/adjustments will go to the indy. He charges $80.00 which is basically less than 1/3 what the BMW dealer gets.

Maybe one of the longtime owners can answer this question; Surely the dealer can program the "service" indicator so it either doesn't come on for 100k or at all?

I really am not fond of the bike storing codes to begin with, but the service indicator really isn't a good idea.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 12:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind-powered
I have just had my 2008 R1200RT put through its 12000 mile/20,000 kms service in Moncton New Brunswick, my nearest BMW dealer. Fixed price, so they say, at $601.06 before tax. Add a leaking rear axle oil seal and the bill comes to $949.60. I have always keep to the book and had my bikes serviced by BMW but this is crazy. As I get closer to retiring I have been spending time on planning some serious riding but, at these prices, I either have to learn to do it myself or get a Honda.
That's the grumbling over, the real issue is the leaking oil seal. We had just come back from a two-up camping trip, the main use the bike gets and, while we are fully loaded, we are still comfortably under the weight maximums. Is this an issue that others have seen?
I love the bike, this is the fifth BMW but it has already had a new key/security swop and a new gas tank sender so is this the norm for the new generation?
600 $ is overkill
I have asked to official dealer in Italy. He have told me:
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2011, at 5:03 PM, Edoardo wrote:
The price for the service at 10000 km is about 200.00
It is all materials and VAT (21 %) included
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 6:51 am

My last service was at 20,000k and the service was $350.00 CDN.
That said my service is now due at 30,000 I called for an est. and was told regular service charge.
So can I expect around $350.00 again. If $350 for service once a year I think is not that bad if I compare it to my friends with HD`s that do two or three service in the same year at 300.00 each.

2 Ride video"s http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...<br /> 186449
http://s566.photobucket.com/user/joh...fbff6.mp4.html
IBA 53744
BMW J&M CB
Sirius/XM Radio
Hyper-Lights
IBA 53744
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein.

A Twist of the Wrist is all that's needed.....
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind-powered

I just got my bike back from the same dealer for a 10,000km service. I am not sure what may be different from 10,000 service and 20,000, but I paid $449.95, set price, plus parts(oil,filter, and other lubricants changed) of $81.00. I know that is high, but considering labour costs are close to $100.00/hour, and oil is close to $10.00/litre, it soon adds up. I know a lot of this could be done by me, but I don't have time, don't have the mechanical know how for some of it, and don't want to be bothered. Compared to what I spend on my Honda Civic lease service for a year, it isn't really all that much.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 7:43 am

I just did my 12k and posted this little writeup on the MOA forum ... maybe it'll help for next time:
It was time for the pricey service ... the 12k, the annual, I needed tires, oh my... I decided to see what I could accomplish myself to take the bill down a bit. This is the first time I've done any work on the RT.

I ended up changing the air and oil filter and flushing all of the fluids myself (Final Drive, Transmission, Clutch, Brakes, Oil). I left the spark plugs and the valve check / adjustment for the dealer.

I thought my newbie observations might be helpful for someone...

* The bike comes apart so quickly it's almost like the transformers movie. I put a blanket down on the garage floor, and in less than 20 minutes I had every panel I wanted to remove off of the bike. I actually took off more than I needed to.
* Coming from HD and internal combustion engines in general the air filter and snorkel has to be the most restrictive POS ever. Yes I know it works, but please don't tell me it's optimal...
* Even though the clutch is "lifetime fill" I decided to bleed it any way. As the cap warns, you have to use the pricey mineral oil and nothing else. My old stuff was green, I noticed the newer stuff was blue. I like blue, so I guess it was worth it.
* Be careful what brake fluid you use ... while any dot4 will work, the BMW stuff is a different color, and I'm re-bleeding mine rather than cause a potential warranty finger-point later on.
* Bleeding the brakes is no different than any other bike, easy to get to. The clutch is tough to reach being in the middle of the bike.
* I was pretty intimidated by the FD change, but pulling off the silencer and the rear tire was really easy.

Like many others have recommended I used beemerboneyard, and the "kit" worked perfectly. The little tapered bottle to do the tranny and FD is essential to having it go well. Unfortunately they still don't have plugs or valve gaskets for the camheads, but hopefully soon..

All in all I carved off close to 4 hours of labor and it cost me about $100 in fluids, an evening playing in the garage, and a cheap oil pan, etc to do it. The only mistake was a little Exxon Valdez spill because my bike on the center stand + my park'n'move + the oil pan I bought just didn't fit well ...
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 12:56 pm

I just paid about $550 here at my local dealer for the 12,000 mile service/ 12 month and the 24 month service items (brake bleeding, final drive fluid). I usually do my own maintenance but this is the first bike I've bought in years that still had warranty coverage so I'll let them do the work until that expires.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 11:17 pm

Easy bikes to work on, no shims for the valves, no pricy tools, I do recommend a spark plug boot puller and the correct oil filter wrench. My old mercury carb bar worked great for the throttle sync, I find it easier than what I read about a Twinmax, I did break down and get a GS911 to read and reset codes and service intervals.

BMWMOA has a great DYI section. The first service you do yourself just about covers any special tools, even the GS911.

I like Uni foam filters and 10W50 Synthetic oil for year round riding, either Lucas oil or Liqui-Moly from Bemmerboneyard.

After the first service you do, you will wonder why you were having the dealer do these straight forward tasks.

Old Sep 27th, 2011, 6:17 am

Daytona Beach,Fl. BMW charged me $375 for my 600 mile service. I find that to be outrageous. I really have only one positive thing to say about this dealership,it's 10 miles from my house.
This is my first BMW and I love the bike,but the dealer I can not tolerate. I hope Jacksonville or someone else opens a dealership soon.
2004 Honda RC51(sold)
2002 Yamaha Road Warrior(sold)
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 7:24 pm

It's why I sold my LT and bought a Victory
BMW MOA Member #144729
My Prevoius bikes:
1976 1980 2006 2008 2009
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 7:59 pm

Guess I got off easy just $199 for the 600 mile service Engle Motors KC MO.

Bob G
2011 RT
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 6:26 am

In my case the problem is the dealer,NOT the bike.
I will NOT sell this bike,it is the BEST bike I have ever owned!

I will just do my own service,problem solved!
2004 Honda RC51(sold)
2002 Yamaha Road Warrior(sold)
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasRider
It's why I sold my LT and bought a Victory
The Vision is an acquired taste. I like the looks of the Cross Country Tour better. I have ridden a Vision. It's ok. More refined than a HD for sure...If the local Victory dealer wasn't the local BMW dealer, I might consider one.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

My Motorrad

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19