Four-Pole line out cable from R1200RT (2010) Radio ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

Old Mar 9th, 2010, 12:44 pm

Four-Pole line out cable from R1200RT (2010) Radio ?

Hi,

I have installed my intercom (Autocom) on my 2010 R1200RT SE which has the BMW radio installed.

In the BMW Motorrad audio system Riders Manual it states on page 34 under “Additional Speakers” that there is a Four-Pole Plug Connection which is a (Line Out) from the radio which I can use to feed the audio output of the radio to an intercom. It even shows the plug position in a photo indicating it is cable tied to the bracket between the front forks.

On my machine there is only one plug cable tied there and that is a two-pole plug for connecting to a Navigator IV.

I went to my dealer today and even looking in the BMW Technical Workshop Manual it talks about the Four-Pole plug and optional connecting cable but it neither shows where it is or gives a part number for any optional cable on the system.

I was then put on to one of their head technical types somewhere at BMW HQ and he said the line out is under the rear seat near the lock ??

I got home and checked. I was sure it wasn’t’t there because that’s where I installed the Autocom at weekend along side the alarm and sure enough no four-pole line out cable..

Has Anyone found the four pole cable or plug on their 2010 RT yet ?

M.

2010 BMW R1200 RT SE incl ASC and Radio in Thunder Grey Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 9th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Wink Re: Four-Pole line out cable from R1200RT (2010) Radio ?

It must be up front because the nav 4 is suposed to be able to plug into it .the nav 4 has 2 plugs on 1 for power other for audio on new radio so must b near that plug. I can't see it either
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 8:11 am

Re: Four-Pole line out cable from R1200RT (2010) Radio ?

If you find the right plug will this give you the functionality you want, or will it be a real pain in the neck to switch between the bike's speakers and the Autocom headset?

If you "just" tap into the bike's speaker wires using an Autocom switched lead you would only have to flick a switch to swop between speakers and headsets, but I suspect it will be a number of button press / scroll wheel movements to do this via the additional speakers route.

Please let us know how you get on, at some point I will get a 2010 and have the same issue!
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 8:53 am

The switchover is easy to do via the display takes seconds finding the plug is another matter. The manual for the nav iv says that it just plugs into this conection and also the bike radio manual says the same.After you plug the power lead in the only place that the other lead will reach would be behind the dash.
I think when this is sorted this will be the way to go you only then need 1 lead to the autocom.If you plug your sat nav into the radio line in it will reduce the volume same as the autocom and you can change tracks from the controls on the bars on the ipod.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by philh24
The switchover is easy to do via the display takes seconds finding the plug is another matter. The manual for the nav iv says that it just plugs into this conection and also the bike radio manual says the same.After you plug the power lead in the only place that the other lead will reach would be behind the dash.
I think when this is sorted this will be the way to go you only then need 1 lead to the autocom.If you plug your sat nav into the radio line in it will reduce the volume same as the autocom and you can change tracks from the controls on the bars on the ipod.
I GIVE UP..

I cant find it, The dealers expert cant work out where it should be and the Factory expert said its in the back near the rear seat lock but it’s not... ??

M.

Old Mar 11th, 2010, 8:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPilot
I GIVE UP..

I cant find it, The dealers expert cant work out where it should be and the Factory expert said its in the back near the rear seat lock but it’s not... ??

M.
Have you guys removed the dash panel which gives you access behind the speakers? I know the secondary horn connector is taped up on the frame by the left speaker and virtually imposible to access without dismantling the dash. If you don't already know the dash is very easy to dismantle.
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 11:51 am

I have now passed this one to BMW UK via their customer service department.

I just find it amazing that they have built a bike, produced user manuals, technical manuals and training packages that all refer to the four-pole line out yet despite photographs showing where it should be no such plug can be found on the bike ?

Once I get to the bottom of it I shall update the forum because I cant be the first and I won’t be the last to want to route the radio audio into a helmet headset surely..

M.

Old Mar 27th, 2010, 3:41 am

Well for those out there who have been waiting to hear the result of this quest, the bad news is your still waiting ?

After getting nothing short of the brush off and very poor service from Customer Service at BMW I have escalated this enquiry to the head of Tech Support in the UK who himself has been unable to answer the question ?.

He has now taken ownership of my enquiry and passed it through to the designers in Germany !

Watch this space.

Old Mar 27th, 2010, 8:06 pm

looking forward to solving this mystery.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 3:26 am

I am facing the exact same problem here in Greece. It seems that no-one on the service team have the faintest what is going on. The illustrated four-pole connector in the manual (by the way, I own the German version...) refers to the wiring harness of the navigator iv and was inadvertedly included in all manuals.
Anyway its a no-joy (for the moment) from the team in Germany too (the keep sending us extracts from manuals with the same mistake persisting (they all refer to the 4-pole connector, the holy grail).
I have requested the circuit plan for the audio electronics. It seems that we have to dig under the right hand side panel, below the compartment with the USB connector, were all wiring to front and (hopefully) back speakers originate. Theoretically we could tap into the wiring there. As soon as I have something I'll post it up here. Please do the same.
Cheers
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Well for those out there who have been waiting to hear the result of this quest, the bad news is your still waiting ?

After getting nothing short of the brush off and very poor service from Customer Service at BMW I have escalated this enquiry to the head of Tech Support in the UK who himself has been unable to answer the question ?.

He has now taken ownership of my enquiry and passed it through to the designers in Germany !

Watch this space.
Hi Ipilot, sorry this is not a reply to solve your problem, I was just curious to where you are in Northwich I too live in Northwich Lostock Gralam, I will be getting the 2010 model next weekend all being well, what do you think of yours so far, apart from the elusive plug

Regards Frank
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 6:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankalf
Hi Ipilot, sorry this is not a reply to solve your problem, I was just curious to where you are in Northwich I too live in Northwich Lostock Gralam, I will be getting the 2010 model next weekend all being well, what do you think of yours so far, apart from the elusive plug

Regards Frank
Hi Frank, It was only when you asked i realised I had not updated the site because i moved a couple of weeks ago. I now Live in Preston but I was in Lostock Green.

Site Now updated :-)

Old Apr 4th, 2010, 12:51 pm

Thats a shame mate,how are you liking the 2010 RT? did you have the earlier model before
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 4:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankalf
Thats a shame mate,how are you liking the 2010 RT? did you have the earlier model before
No I had an R1200GSA before the R1200RT. I prefer the RT for the motorway work that inevitably comes between the twisty bits :-)

I managed a trip to Devils Bridge today without getting wet which is a trick in it’s self given the easter weekend weather lol

Old Apr 8th, 2010, 6:36 am

Hi All, I replaced my 2008 RT with the new one wit radio and was hoping to be able to connect this radio to my helmet rather than being a moving boombox. I am very curious if anyone finds the 'lost' connector.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 7:35 am

Hi,

I also own a new RT '10 with radio and I have asked my locale dealer (in France) to find a way to connect the radio to my helmet. Indeed, my helmet has two Koss speakers inside with a simple 3,5mm plug. I used to connect an iPod to it with my previous bike RT '05 (no radio).

My dealer has asked the french BMW HQ and they said an interface will be available soon for connecting to the mysterious-rear-speakers line out. I'm waiting for fresh news and will let you know.

Note that from the radio, yes, we can fade volume between front and rear and at full rear nothing is audible. At least, radio manages 4 speakers.

The last thing I wonder is the line out. Is it amplified enough to simply connect to headphones? The manual states "active" speaker can be added, no passive... I presume this is not an issue for who want to link an Autocom but what about headphones, helmet speakers? So many questions...

Regards,

--
Thibault
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 8:32 am

[QUOTE=thw75]Hi,

I also own a new RT '10 with radio and I have asked my locale dealer (in France) to find a way to connect the radio to my helmet. Indeed, my helmet has two Koss speakers inside with a simple 3,5mm plug. I used to connect an iPod to it with my previous bike RT '05 (no radio).

My dealer has asked the french BMW HQ and they said an interface will be available soon for connecting to the mysterious-rear-speakers line out. I'm waiting for fresh news and will let you know.

Note that from the radio, yes, we can fade volume between front and rear and at full rear nothing is audible. At least, radio manages 4 speakers.

The last thing I wonder is the line out. Is it amplified enough to simply connect to headphones? The manual states "active" speaker can be added, no passive... I presume this is not an issue for who want to link an Autocom but what about headphones, helmet speakers? So many questions...

Regards,

--
Fitting the extra bits will be ok but first we need to find this plug to fit them to,I am begining to wonder if it exists
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 10:54 am

Ok Guy’s I can’t say how accurate this information is but it came from BMW UK who at my request obtained it through the Factory in Germany.

They are now saying the line out for the rear speakers is located behind the right mirror as they have circled in the picture they sent me (can’t work out how to post it here.) If anyone has time to check before I do please let the rest of us know what you find, maybe with pictures ?

Mark.

Old Apr 9th, 2010, 1:48 pm

Quote:
Ok Guy’s I can’t say how accurate this information is but it came from BMW UK who at my request obtained it through the Factory in Germany.

They are now saying the line out for the rear speakers is located behind the right mirror as they have circled in the picture they sent me (can’t work out how to post it here.) If anyone has time to check before I do please let the rest of us know what you find, maybe with pictures ?

Mark.

Well I think this is the line-outAttached) and all I need to do now is figure what plug fits it so i can make up a fly lead to the intercom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LineOut1.jpg
Views:	1839
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	26904   Click image for larger version

Name:	LineOut2.jpg
Views:	1660
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	26905  

Old Apr 9th, 2010, 2:08 pm

Quote:
Well I think this is the line-outAttached) and all I need to do now is figure what plug fits it so i can make up a fly lead to the intercom.
Assuming thats the correct connector the fly lead part number appears to be 611655.

Mark

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Assuming thats the correct connector the fly lead part number appears to be 611655.

Mark

Well I have hit another brick wall with BMW. They agree that the pictured connecter is the audio output but now they cant tell me the correct part number for a pin plug to connect to it.. BMW really are useless !

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 12:39 pm

Quote:
Well I have hit another brick wall with BMW. They agree that the pictured connecter is the audio output but now they cant tell me the correct part number for a pin plug to connect to it.. BMW really are useless !
They probably don't have a part number yet. My dealer is saying there is no part number yet for the new windshield support arm.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Hi iPilot. If I am not mistaken, a closer look on the second picture you posted indicates that only three out of the four poles on the plug are hot. The fourth does not seem to have any copper on it. This should not be a problem though as a stereo connection only needs three poles (two positive lines one for each channel and a common negative).
Have you checked that the connector you found (I assume you did find it) is indeed the line out?
2008 Honda Varadero XLVA1000
2007 Piagio Beverly Scooter 500 Cruiser (pfui....)
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 3:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmavrika
Hi iPilot. If I am not mistaken, a closer look on the second picture you posted indicates that only three out of the four poles on the plug are hot. The fourth does not seem to have any copper on it. This should not be a problem though as a stereo connection only needs three poles (two positive lines one for each channel and a common negative).
Have you checked that the connector you found (I assume you did find it) is indeed the line out?
Yes you are correct it is a four pole plug but only 3 are used because it has a common ground. I have what we 'believe' is the correct connector on order and once it arrives we are going to connect up a pair of speakers and see what is actually presented

Old Apr 19th, 2010, 9:32 am

Quote:
Yes you are correct it is a four pole plug but only 3 are used because it has a common ground. I have what we 'believe' is the correct connector on order and once it arrives we are going to connect up a pair of speakers and see what is actually presented
Thanks for the reply.
I will be performing some digging myself over the next weekend and I will try and test the connection with a multimeter.
If in the meantime you get your connector, pls drop a few lines for me.

Cheers.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 10:38 am

Dear all. The line out connector is exactly were iPilot's pictures show. Right next to the RPM meter and you need to take half the bike apart to reach it.
Anyway it works. All of you who have had some elementary experience with a soldering iron and a couple of screwdrivers (or should I say torx screwdrivers to be more precise) can make it work pronto, otherwise you should wait for BMW to come up with the proper connector, if they ever do. They gave me a connector with part number 611656 which is not the correct one. Anyway, I'll give a short description of what needs to be done and ... the decision is yours!

The first attachment shows a close-up of the connector - although its a four-pole connector, only 3 leads are live - and I have marked them 1, 2 and 3.
Like I said, BMW are still searching for the right connector and I need my music now, so I cut the connector and used the cables behind it. The cables on Poles 1 and 2 carry the signal (left and right channels - makes no difference which is which, the bike does not have a left/ right balance switch) and pole 3 is the ground. For those of you who decide to attach speakers (although I have no idea where you could attach them - maybe the top case?) you should bridge the two negative leads from the speakers and attach them to the ground (pole 3) and attach the two positive leads to the leads on poles 1 and 2.

If you need to connect the line out to a communication system like Starcom1 (or Autocom - they are both under Tecstar in the UK) you will be needing a cable like the one shown hereunder. The 3.5 mm jack goes to the music-in of your system and you need to connect the four loose leads to the bike. Here's how you do it: First of all ignore pole 3 altogether. Do not connect the two negatives to it. If you do you will get a lot of static through your headsets. At least that was the case with my Starcom. It seems that as Starcom is already connected to the bike's negative (ground) doing it again through pole 3 causes static. Just solder the two negatives together and let them be. Then solder the two positive leads of your music cable to poles 1 and 2. That should do it. Naturally, take extra care to insulate everything.

Also, make certain that the line out is activated (press TONE repeatedly until you reach LINE on the display. If its off, toggle it ON by pushing the rotary volume switch towards the handle bar) and that the fader (press TONE once more) is allowing some throughput to the "rear speakers".
Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mus-03.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	27050   Click image for larger version

Name:	LineOutPoles.jpg
Views:	1079
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	27052  

Last edited by dmavrika; Apr 24th, 2010 at 10:54 am.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 11:35 am

@dmavrika

Is this connector you used active or passive? What I need to know is if it is amplified (a connected speaker would work) or not (which means it is a "line out").

This is important because my intercom has a "line in", for an active signal I would need an adapter.

Regards

Thomas

P.S: Good description, by the way...

Last edited by theigl; Apr 25th, 2010 at 3:45 pm.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 6:37 am

This is good news, I have been following this thread since the first post but could not comment as my 2010 RT was not delivered. But now I took delivery of it this weekend . . . . . and I cant find how to pull apart the dash area, can someone point me to a web page or instructions how to remove the offending plastic.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 6:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkeria
This is good news, I have been following this thread since the first post but could not comment as my 2010 RT was not delivered. But now I took delivery of it this weekend . . . . . and I cant find how to pull apart the dash area, can someone point me to a web page or instructions how to remove the offending plastic.

Its not a long job once you know how to get the damn thing apart :-)

Many of the screws are obvious but some are not and the fear of breaking something makes it a slow process.

Front side panels are obvious and they need to come off, the screen and the cover around the clocks is obvious but then you find you need to remove the final big bit which is the main cover across the speakers etc. There are some screws which are obvious but the ones that threw me were behind the mirror housings which themselves need to come off so what you need to know if you don't already is how to remove the mirrors.

There are 2 torx wrenches in the bike tool kit a large and a small.

The small one fits up through a hole in the bottom of each mirror housing and unscrews a single screw that retains the mirror glass onto its pivot, locate and undo that screw and click the mirror glass off its pivot.

Then use the large torx wrench to unscrew the 2 mirror housing retaining bolts one of which is down a very deep hole and must be in position when you come to refit the mirror housing later.

Once the housings are off you can remove the speaker cover and reveal the plug cable tied to the harness as shown on the pictures.

Old Apr 26th, 2010, 11:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by theigl
@dmavrika

Is this connector you used active or passive? What I need to know is if it is amplified (a connected speaker would work) or not (which means it is a "line out").

This is important because my intercom has a "line in", for an active signal I would need an adapter.

Regards

Thomas

P.S: Good description, by the way...
As I connected the thing directly to the music (line in) of my intercom (Starcom1) I am relatively certain that it is a passive connection (line out). However, BMW describes it (albeit in the manual that has got everything wrong) as a line out AND a connection for rear speakers, so one might assume that it carries some amplification. If so, it is not too strong as to cause an issue. In your case I would give it a try.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 11:51 am

Quote:
Its not a long job once you know how to get the damn thing apart :-)

Many of the screws are obvious but some are not and the fear of breaking something makes it a slow process.

Front side panels are obvious and they need to come off, the screen and the cover around the clocks is obvious but then you find you need to remove the final big bit which is the main cover across the speakers etc. There are some screws which are obvious but the ones that threw me were behind the mirror housings which themselves need to come off so what you need to know if you don't already is how to remove the mirrors.

There are 2 torx wrenches in the bike tool kit a large and a small.

The small one fits up through a hole in the bottom of each mirror housing and unscrews a single screw that retains the mirror glass onto its pivot, locate and undo that screw and click the mirror glass off its pivot.

Then use the large torx wrench to unscrew the 2 mirror housing retaining bolts one of which is down a very deep hole and must be in position when you come to refit the mirror housing later.

Once the housings are off you can remove the speaker cover and reveal the plug cable tied to the harness as shown on the pictures.
Hi iPilot.
Did BMW come up with a working connector, or .....
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 2:29 pm

Quote:
As I connected the thing directly to the music (line in) of my intercom (Starcom1) I am relatively certain that it is a passive connection (line out). However, BMW describes it (albeit in the manual that has got everything wrong) as a line out AND a connection for rear speakers, so one might assume that it carries some amplification. If so, it is not too strong as to cause an issue. In your case I would give it a try.
Hi,

thanks for the answer. I was also confused by the description in the manual. I will disassemble the cockpit on the weekend and follow your hint to give it a try!

I have also tried to get a plug for the connector, but my dealer has no clue whatsoever. So I decided to do it your way, cut the plug and solder two cables for pluggin in to my intercom (which is a MIP 200, www.imc-motorcom.com, with built in digital 2-way radio).

What a shame for BMW that they print and bring out a manual, which has such an obvious error! The two plugs are there, but one is the power for the GPS (which I have used with the plug 611656) and the other one is a line in for the GPS audio to be broadcasted through the audio system.

Greetings from bavaria

Thomas
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 3:15 pm

Hi Thomas are you saying that there is a plug for the audio in for a gps next to the power connector?.When i fitted my nav iv I didnt notice the plug fitted the power fine but left the audio lead taped to the power lead
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 6:02 pm

Quote:
Hi iPilot.
Did BMW come up with a working connector, or .....
No they said they were ordering one but that was the last I heard on the subject. They have been a total waste of time, its been down to the likes of you and i to do all the work.

I too ended up cutting off the plug but I soldered on a stereo 3.5mm jack socket in its place and used an autocom cable to plug straight in at both ends. It was one with a ground loop isolator to prevent interference. I already had it from a past install on another bike but if I hadn’t I would have done it exactly as you did.

Initially I set it up with all the fader set to the rear so the front speakers were silent but then I set it 25% front 75% rear that improves the base quality as the speakers are better than headsets in that respect.

Mark.

Old Apr 27th, 2010, 3:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by philh24
Hi Thomas are you saying that there is a plug for the audio in for a gps next to the power connector?.When i fitted my nav iv I didnt notice the plug fitted the power fine but left the audio lead taped to the power lead
@philh24

Here

http://www.bmw-motorrad.dk/dk/da/ser...s_service.html

you can download the manual for the audio system (if you do not have it). In chapter 6 page 34 it shows the two plugs. Of course, the text is not correct saying that plug 1 is the line out but it is the GPS power output. The other plug is the audio, both plugs are present in my RT (built 04/2010)

Greetings

Thomas

Last edited by theigl; Apr 27th, 2010 at 4:09 am.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 11:39 am

Quote:
No they said they were ordering one but that was the last I heard on the subject. They have been a total waste of time, its been down to the likes of you and i to do all the work.

I too ended up cutting off the plug but I soldered on a stereo 3.5mm jack socket in its place and used an autocom cable to plug straight in at both ends. It was one with a ground loop isolator to prevent interference. I already had it from a past install on another bike but if I hadn’t I would have done it exactly as you did.

Initially I set it up with all the fader set to the rear so the front speakers were silent but then I set it 25% front 75% rear that improves the base quality as the speakers are better than headsets in that respect.

Mark.
Thanks Mark.
I will take you up with the hint about the fader position. Makes perfect sense.

Cheers.
Dimitris
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 12:42 pm

Quote:
@philh24

Here

you can download the manual for the audio system (if you do not have it). In chapter 6 page 34 it shows the two plugs. Of course, the text is not correct saying that plug 1 is the line out but it is the GPS power output. The other plug is the audio, both plugs are present in my RT (built 04/2010)

Greetings

Thomas
Hi Thomas,

Am I right in assuming that your bike came with the navi sysytem pre-installed, Or at least the harness for the navi preinstalled?

That would explain how you have that extra connector which is missing on our bikes. Unless BMW ships a different configuration outside Germany!

Dimitris
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Quote:
Hi Thomas,

Am I right in assuming that your bike came with the navi sysytem pre-installed, Or at least the harness for the navi preinstalled?

That would explain how you have that extra connector which is missing on our bikes. Unless BMW ships a different configuration outside Germany!

Dimitris
Hi Dimitris,

maybe your second thought is right...

I did not order the BMW Navi and I cannot remember to order the harness either. The only thing I wanted is the original BMW navi holder bar over the instruments, where I can fix my TomTom Navi with the Touratech mount. As far I know, this will be installed by the dealer, not in the factory.

Thomas
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 8:00 am

Quote:
@philh24

Here

Greetings

Thomas
EDIT:

This is the correct link to download the manuals

"www.bmw-motorrad.dk/dk/da/services/downloads_service.html"

Ciao

Thomas
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:25 pm

Hi all,

Finally, my local dealer found a plug!

You can see pictures and references here.
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/68598...200RT?h=6303bd

I will try to install it next week-end, stay tuned.

--
Thibault
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 7:32 pm

I didn't know if it was best to start a new thread or try to revive this one. I asked my local dealer to order the plug mentioned by Thibault. The dealer installed it and connected the leads from the plug to my older Autocom. Audio was loud and clear in one headset speaker but the other had almost no volume. I suspect the problem may be the defective audio channel is not grounded. (Three wires to the socket on the bike and four from the plug to the Autocom.) Earlier in the thread there was some discussion about getting the audio from a GPS to play through the RT's radio. (I have checked under the fairing of my 2010 RT and this is no second plug). Has anyone been successful getting GPS audio through the radio without the second plug?
Peter

Last edited by TWheels; Jul 21st, 2010 at 8:09 pm.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 10:43 am

Thumbs up Re: Four-Pole line out cable from R1200RT (2010) Radio ?

It sounds to me all you should have to do is wire in a Autocom speaker isolation lead. This will make sure the output is isolated and help straighten out the L and R volume issues. (probably due to a floating ground.) As to the volume the LH volume control on your bike should raise and lower the volume since it is designed to handle rear speakers.
Autocom part #s 2273 for a unswitched isolation cord with 3 pole output

2275 for a switched isolation cord with 3 pole output

Since one is able to fade the output from the front to the rear i would think the 2273 isolation cord would be fine since it is less expensive and you could fade all the signal to the rear speaker output. Kieth
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 8:55 pm

Thanks for the information. The intercom unit came from my LT. There was an Autocom component which was connect to the two left channel and two right channel rear speaker wires on the LT and plugged into the music input on my Autocom. I assume this is the isolator?? (Sorry not very familiar with this technology.) My BMW dealer installed the plug and Autocom components on my 2010 RT for me. Since one channel is working and the other is not, I am assuming they connected the four wires from the isolator to the four wires on the plug but did not take into account that there are only three wires attached to the bike's socket identified in this thread. If this is so, then would the problem be solved if I connect the isolator left channel and right channel "ground" together with the "ground" from the radio on the socket?
Peter
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 10:44 am

I believe that would do it. use some positaps on the back side of the on bike socket (the positaps will temporarily let you hook up the connections without soldering so you can see if you got it right.) positaps tap into the wires directly without cutting anything out.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 9:38 am

Thanks Kieth. Much appreciated. I will give it a try
Peter.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 7:34 pm

Does anyone have a pinout from the rear speaker socket on the 2010 RT? The dealer installed the wiring for me and one radio/mp3 channel is dead in my helmet speakers while the other works well. Its not my helmet because one channel is dead using my wife's helmet. I dismantled the dash and found that the socket has four wires going to it rather than the three mentioned in this post. I couldn't find anything online so any help or information is greatly appreciated.
Peter
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 11:22 am

@TWeehls

Just read post# 26 of this thread (and look at the pictures) !!!!!!!!!

theigl
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Sorry if this turns out to be a long post.
I did read the previous information in this thread. Here's the problem. The initial information from this thread appears not to be for a 2010 RT. (According to the dealer ..The socket (female plug) is in a slightly different location to the one on my 2010. The instruments in the photo appear to predate the 2010 as well. This is my first RT so I don't know.) There is reference to only three of the connections to this plug being live. I am not sure if this means there are only three wires going to the socket or that there are four and only three are to be used. The socket on my bike has four wires going to it. I did not see the wiring prior to my dealer installing my older Autocom according to the information on this thread; however, when the bike was returned to me, only one audio channel was working. I disassembled the dash found the wires and disconnected them from my intercom. I then attached a set of KOSS earphones to the wires as specified in this post. Still one channel dead. Replacing the wire from the defective channel with the one not specified for use in this thread did not solve the problem. (I also tried disconnecting the wire from the working channel from the earphones and connecting the one "not needed" wire to the KOSS. Still no audio.) So at this point I am stuck and hoping for any help that anyone can give. It seems that the wiring may be different on the 2010, the plug or socket may be defective, or either the channel was dead from the factory or "blown" somehow during the initial installation. The dealer does not have a wiring diagram. I cannot find one on the web. A pinout for the socket on the 2010 would be really helpful as would confirmation from someone who has done the installation on the 2010 that it works as described in this thread. If I can confirm that the wiring is correct then I will ask the dealer to check the wiring loom and socket and if needed replace the radio.
Thanks for your patience and help
Peter
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWheels
Sorry if this turns out to be a long post.
I did read the previous information in this thread. Here's the problem. The initial information from this thread appears not to be for a 2010 RT. (According to the dealer ..The socket (female plug) is in a slightly different location to the one on my 2010. The instruments in the photo appear to predate the 2010 as well. This is my first RT so I don't know.) There is reference to only three of the connections to this plug being live. I am not sure if this means there are only three wires going to the socket or that there are four and only three are to be used. The socket on my bike has four wires going to it. I did not see the wiring prior to my dealer installing my older Autocom according to the information on this thread; however, when the bike was returned to me, only one audio channel was working. I disassembled the dash found the wires and disconnected them from my intercom. I then attached a set of KOSS earphones to the wires as specified in this post. Still one channel dead. Replacing the wire from the defective channel with the one not specified for use in this thread did not solve the problem. (I also tried disconnecting the wire from the working channel from the earphones and connecting the one "not needed" wire to the KOSS. Still no audio.) So at this point I am stuck and hoping for any help that anyone can give. It seems that the wiring may be different on the 2010, the plug or socket may be defective, or either the channel was dead from the factory or "blown" somehow during the initial installation. The dealer does not have a wiring diagram. I cannot find one on the web. A pinout for the socket on the 2010 would be really helpful as would confirmation from someone who has done the installation on the 2010 that it works as described in this thread. If I can confirm that the wiring is correct then I will ask the dealer to check the wiring loom and socket and if needed replace the radio.
Thanks for your patience and help
Peter
Hi Peter,

Firstly, trust me the pictured bike is a 2010 RT and the plug is pulled forward so it can be seen in the picture.

There are 4 holes in the plug but only 3 have pins in them and each of the 3 pins has a single wire connected to it, left audio, right audio and common ground.

As for the rest of it, I am guessing but I would wonder if your dealer has picked up on some other wiring and brought it all together in the same socket.

I have connected a 2009 Autocom to the audio out socket mentioned in this thread and because the autocom has a negative connected to the bike I used an isolation adapter from autocom to connect the audio from the bike.

Regards

Mark

Old Jul 28th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Hi Peter,

As an aside, I take it you went into the setup and adjusted the fader control to put audio to the rear speakers did you? if not you may have low audio on one channel and none on the other.

Mark

Old Jul 28th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Thank you for the quick reply and information. Mark, I meant no disrespect regarding the model year. I was simply referring to info from my dealer and trying to resolve this problem by covering all the bases. I have tried various settings of the fade control and unfortunately they make no difference. I did recheck the info on the thread and the wiring seems to be correct. I have attached photos for your confirmation. The pin locations on the bike socket are the same as in this thread but there are four wires going to it. (socket on bike.jpg). The pinout on the plug does have four pins (plug to intercom.jpg) and the wiring to the plug is shown in "as wired.jpg". If I disconnect the wire labeled "working" there is no audio. I cannot remember if disconnecting the ground kills the audio as well. The label "not working" was wired as the other audio channel. I can find no combination of connections that produce audio from this channel. Please let me know if this all seems correct along with any thoughts or comments. Just a general comment. The dealer has been in business since the 70's, and is a rider and sometime racer. I think the problem is that technology is changing so very quickly and I am told they receive little to no training or timely information from BMW.
Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	as wired.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	28251   Click image for larger version

Name:	plug to intercom.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	28252   Click image for larger version

Name:	socket on bike.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	28253  
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 1:28 pm

IT WORKS!!!!!
I am a little embarrassed for not spotting it sooner. The plug will only go into the socket one way but looks the same from the back if you rotate it 180 degrees. The dealer had wired the plug upside down. One channel was connected to ground and the ground to where the channel should be connected. Hence, one channel works but the other does not. Thanks all for your input and apologies for any inconvenience.
Mark, just noticed your location which triggered a pleasant memory. I live about 90 mins north of Toronto now. My earliest motorcycle memory is holding on for dear life on the pillion of my dad's BSA as we left Edwinstowe, Nr Mansfield, Notts heading for my grandfather's house near St. Helens, Lancs. That was mid 50's and I was about seven years old. Guess that's when I got the bug.
Peter
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 1:18 pm

A big thanks to Ipilot and Dmavrika for finding the plug and sorting out the pins on the plug.
I have spent most the afternoon fitting a bluetooth dongle to this socket and it works fine and I am really surprised at the quality of music that comes through my f4 headset.
I cut the bmw plug off and replaced it with a 3.5 female socket and just plugged the dongle in paired it up and it woks fine.
For those that have the later bmw sat nav I also found the plug that the audio from the sat nav plugs into now I have all the functions working through the radio on the bike.
Its so nice to have all the functions from the radio ipod and satnav being controlled by the bike radio and being able to adjust the volume with the handlebar volume control.This cost in total £18.00 to do and is well worth it if you already have a bluetooth helmet.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 8:55 pm

CAUTION !!! I have a 2011 and all (3) connectors (GPS Power, GPS Audio IN & Stereo Out) are all where the book shpws them -- no need to take the dash apart!
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBlauvelt
CAUTION !!! I have a 2011 and all (3) connectors (GPS Power, GPS Audio IN & Stereo Out) are all where the book shpws them -- no need to take the dash apart!
+1. On my 2011 RT all three plugs are in the same area as shown in the manual, centered and below the instruments tied to the front frame. No dis-assembly required.

Kern Valley CA

2011 R1200RT
2009 F800GS

2006 R1200RT-Traded in
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 3:41 pm

I can confirm that. BMW changed the wiring on the 2011 RTs.

Greetings from Germany

Thomas
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 8:35 am

Quote:
I can confirm that. BMW changed the wiring on the 2011 RTs.

Greetings from Germany

Thomas
I have a new 2011. I'll look again for the re-wired plugs. Is there a chance that the connector found for the 2010 is the correct part?
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 9:34 am

Here is a link to a recent write up a guy did on here.This may help and its been very well done. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59878
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRREF
I have a new 2011. I'll look again for the re-wired plugs. Is there a chance that the connector found for the 2010 is the correct part?
The info here is indeed correct. I found the plug under the fork head. There is a black cap on it that has to be removed before the adapter can be plugged into it. I wired a male 3.5mm headphone adapter to it, connected that to my J & M Integratr and Voila, music into my headset. Works well when partially faded with the front speakers.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 5:45 pm

Has anyone made this work with Autocom? I spent most of the afternoon trying various configurations on my new 2011 RT. I'm sure that I have the signal and ground wires identified, but I can't get any sound through Autocom or directly into my headset. I have the Line On and the Fader does effect front speaker volume, but...

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 6:51 pm

I have it working with an older Autocom. It works fine. Not sure what you mean by "directly to your headset". I wired the underdash plug to a short cable terminated with a headphone jack secured near the forks. I then plugged a pair of ear buds into the jack and was able to verify the sound from the radio. I ran a stereo cable from the jack directly to the Autocom in the tail section. If you have done something similar to installing the jack and can hear no sound from the radio, the problem is the radio settings (hopefully not the radio itself) or more likely the plug or wiring. Speaking from experience ...... (I don't mean to offend) ... insert the plug into the dash ... Mark the top of the plug .... then check the wiring again relative to the top of the plug. The plug looks the same from the back when turned 180 degrees. I don't have access to my bike right now to check the radio settings.
Hope this helps.
Peter

Last edited by TWheels; Mar 27th, 2011 at 8:14 pm.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Quote:
Has anyone made this work with Autocom? I spent most of the afternoon trying various configurations on my new 2011 RT. I'm sure that I have the signal and ground wires identified, but I can't get any sound through Autocom or directly into my headset. I have the Line On and the Fader does effect front speaker volume, but...

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I had a ground loop issue when I plugged my J&M Integrator into the bike. I am a real novice here, but could this be part of the problem. My issue was a buzz, but when I took the ground off the power side, the buzz went away. The problem is the ground from the line out was double grounding the J&M unit. Interestingly, if I unplug the speaker cable from the comm unit, the unit turns off. Doesn't sound like this is your problem, but I thought I would share it.

Good luck,
Jay
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 7:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay
I had a ground loop issue when I plugged my J&M Integrator into the bike. I am a real novice here, but could this be part of the problem. My issue was a buzz, but when I took the ground off the power side, the buzz went away. The problem is the ground from the line out was double grounding the J&M unit. Interestingly, if I unplug the speaker cable from the comm unit, the unit turns off. Doesn't sound like this is your problem, but I thought I would share it.

Good luck,
Jay
Thanks Jay. I'd love to have a ground loop, I know how to fix that. My issue is lack-o signal. I'm beginning to think I have a harness or radio issue since you guys have tunes on this four pin plug. The pin-out is pretty easy when you look at the female plug on the harness -- and I've confirmed the ground wire with a meter, so the other two are signal.

Jim
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 9:35 am

I've found sound! I have no idea what my problem was on Sunday, but I went back to basics and I have solid, two channel sound coming from the four-pole plug and I'm well on the way to finalizing the wiring for my interface with an old Autocom. This is a much better answer than finding an issue in the harness or the BMW radio
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 9:43 am

Much better result for sure. CONGRATS. Enjoy!!
Peter
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 11:12 pm

A special thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread...

I too now have sound in my earbuds...returned the Sena with all the bulk.

Thanks -

God Bless America,
pipestone

God Bless America
2011RT~"Favor" of God
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 2:08 pm

MUS-03 -- Should anyone need a MUS-03 Stereo Isolation Cable mentioned in this thread, I have one that I didn't use for this project. Bike Effects wants to hit me for 20% of the $45 purchase price on the return (it wasn't bad enough that they charged me $13.50 for shipping -- ground, no less!). I'd rather help someone who needs the cable -- $35 delivered. Any interest?
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:43 pm

I also have found sound for the rear speaker plug on my 2010 R1200RT. The plug on the bike is on the right side of the front hoop, over the headlamp. It is on the hoop just below the windscreen power motor on the right side. I had to take the headlamp out to find it on my bike. It was taped to the hoop. It has four wires, all grey with a stripe. The grey w/brown stripe is the ground, grey w/white stripe is the right speaker, grey w/red stripe left speaker, grey w/black stripe is not used. The correct part number for the plug that matches the plug on the bike is BMW # 83 30 0 413 584. It is a 4 wire plug with numbers on the back and on each wire. When this plug is plugged into the bike the ground wire for the left and right is #1, the right speaker is #3, the left speaker is #4, #2 is not used. I was able to hook mine to a 3.5mm extension wire that I ran to the glove box where I hooked it to blue tooth adaptor. Now I have bluetooth music to my helmet when I want. I can connect ear buds or my bluetooth adaptor to the 3.5mm female end. When I have the fader on anything less than 10 it plays music to the front speakers and my helmet. With the bluetooth adaptor there is a slight delay to my helmet, that has been the only negative. There is no delay with earbuds. (my description of right is if your sitting on the bike) Good luck. Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5246.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	31002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5249.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	31003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5250.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	31004   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5254.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	31005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5259.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	31006  

Old Apr 11th, 2011, 9:34 am

"snelso15" -- glad you were able to make it work. The only difference between the 2010 and 2011 appears to be the location of the socket.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 9:59 am

Great thread! Sorry if I've missed it but does anyone have the part number for the mating connector for the 2 pole line in connector that is normally used for the BMW NAV 4 audio? I want to connect the audio from my Garmin 660 to that input so that I can hear voice prompts through the bike's speakers.

I believe that all I need to do is a make a short cable to adapt the audio jack on the Garmin cable to the 2 pin audio input plug. Has anyone else done this successfully?

2010 R1200RT

Cheers and thanks for everyone's help.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainem
Great thread! Sorry if I've missed it but does anyone have the part number for the mating connector for the 2 pole line in connector that is normally used for the BMW NAV 4 audio? I want to connect the audio from my Garmin 660 to that input so that I can hear voice prompts through the bike's speakers.

I believe that all I need to do is a make a short cable to adapt the audio jack on the Garmin cable to the 2 pin audio input plug. Has anyone else done this successfully?

2010 R1200RT

Cheers and thanks for everyone's help.
Found earlier in this thread...

"plug 611656" is used for GPS audio.

Hope this helps.

2012 K 1600 GT (#901 from 8/6/2011)

Old Apr 17th, 2011, 11:52 am

Thanks,

I tried searching for that as a part number but no luck .

Cheers.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 2:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by realworld51

Hope this helps.

This number is no BMW part number, but a CARTOOL part number. CARTOOL builds all plugs and some electrical devices for BMW. Your dealer should know about this and order the plug with that number.

Ciao

theigl
Old May 21st, 2011, 7:52 pm

Thanks for all the help., but I'm still searching for a 2 pole pigtail that will allow me to connect the Zumo 660 in the same way that the NAV IV connects to the OEM audio system allowing the GPS audio to come through the bike speakers and interrupt the radio.

Here a some pictures of the connector on the bike that I believe is used for that function.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Cheers.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 3:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainem
Thanks for all the help., but I'm still searching for a 2 pole pigtail that will allow me to connect the Zumo 660 in the same way that the NAV IV connects to the OEM audio system allowing the GPS audio to come through the bike speakers and interrupt the radio.

Here a some pictures of the connector on the bike that I believe is used for that function.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Cheers.

Where on the bike did you find the line in plug?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 3:30 pm

If you have a 10 model its taped behind the dash on the right side and involves some plastic removal to get to it.
On the 11 model its taped under the headstock.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 6:23 pm

I found the plug wire tied to the headstock on my 2010 just as philh24 stated. Now if I can just find the mating connector with pigtail!
Old May 27th, 2011, 11:30 am

I think I found the 2 pin repair connector in the EPC. Can anyone confirm if this is hte right part to mate with the connector pictured above?

Repair plug, 2-pin
Supplement No. 610618
Part number: 83 30 0 402 343

Thanks again.
Old May 27th, 2011, 5:41 pm

....just to interject, its sad that this thread can not be put into some kind of.... DIY category for the new camheads.

I know if I would have not followed it, I would not have tunes in my earbuds today.

.....just what I think

God Bless America
2011RT~"Favor" of God
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:22 pm

I too have been chasing this solution for a little while and without going back and reading every entry I think that I have today established that there definitely is no BMW cable that is designed to plug the ZUMO into the audio system.
The cable that does this is actually hard wired into the Navigator IV cradle and piggy backs the power cable.
Attached is a BMW diagram showing the cable and cradle as part #3.
It appears that the next best option is the home made doovy using the CARTOOLS plug and some solder
Attached Images
File Type: bmp BMW Nav4 (Copy).bmp (1.83 MB, 231 views)
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Old May 31st, 2011, 4:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by realworld51

Hope this helps.
I have a 611656 sitting here and it is a 3 pin not 2
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 2:24 am

Has ANYONE[I] succesfully connected a ZUMO 550 into a 2010 RT audio using the 2 pin line in plug that is meant for the Nav 4.
If so what is the trick?
I have both the 2 pin line in and 4 pin line out plugs ready to go, I am in the process of doing the line in first, I have connected the 2 pin plug, connected a 3.5m male jack into the zumo mount and roughly twisted the wires from the 3.5m jack to the 2 wires coming from the 2 pin connector and I am getting nothing, nada, coming through from the GPS to the bikes audio.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Andrew
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 12:37 am

OK Guys, ive made ton of progress today but still cant nail this project down.

I now have audio in from the ZUMO into the bikes audio, first part done.

Second part is the audio out. I have purchased and cut a M/F 3.5m stereo cable and used the male end to go from the ZUMO to the 2 pin audio in on the bike and the female end I have wired into the 4 pin audio out plug on the bike just as has been shown in previous threads.
Wire 1 is ground, wires 3 and 4 are left and right.

When I strip back the cable on the 3.5m plug there is an exposed copper cable and two smaller inner insulated wires. One green, one red. I have assmed on both cables used that the exposed copper is the ground, and that the two smaller insulated strands are left and right..

My problem now is that when i connect my ear buds into the female 3.5m coming from the 4 pin audio out I only get one channel.

When i insert the male plug to the first detent I get sound in both channels, when on the second detent I get sound in only one and then when fully inserted I get sound in the opposite channel than detent 2.

WTF????

I initially thought that the 3.5m cable that I had purchased must have been faulty so I went and bought a fancy one with gold plated ends but it is exactly the same.

The bike is in bits and I dont want to put her back together until I have this nailed.

Anyone??? Please!!!!!!
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Last edited by dadicool59; Aug 20th, 2011 at 12:51 am.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 3:03 am

Being awake while most of you guys are sleeping makes it a little lonely but I often end up answering my own posts.

Embarrassingly, after spending at least 5 hours this afternoon attempting to solve this single audio channel problem I have now fixed it.

For some reason I decided to simply touch the exposed speakers in the dash that the Ipod was playing through and noticed that the left speaker wasnt working.

Turns out the BMW Ipod adaptor which has both a USB and a 3.5M plug had a dodgy connection in the 3.5m connector.

I spun it around a couple of times and hey presto, two channel stereo audio!!!!

Thanks for nothing you sleepy bastards

Another RT audio project completed
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 1:30 pm

I have successfully connected the Stereo output from the Zumo 660 to the 2010 R1200RT’s audio system. The audio from the Zumo will now interrupt and mute whatever is playing on the RTs audio system and the Zumo audio will be heard.

The one fairly serious limitation of this setup is that the level of the Zumo audio is significantly lower that the audio level of the RTs audio. This is the case both with or without the resistors in place (only one channel was connected to test this to protect the Zumo from short circuiting the output.)

It seems that the setup would benefit from some amplification of the signal coming from the Zumo.

I’m not sure what the optimal value for the resistors is, but it seems to work with the values I selected as well as others that I tried. Use my design at your own discretion. If anyone has any data that would support a different value, please let me know.

The attached pictures show the components required and the assembly process to build the required interconnect.

To summarize:
• Acquire the BMW repair connector as pictured
• Acquire a 3 conductor stereo connector or cable to match the audio output on the Zumo
• Acquire 2 resistors
• Assemble the components following the included schematic and photos. Soldering skills and shrink tube required.
• Install the finished cable between the audio output connector on the Zumo and the audio input on the RT (located attached to the frame near the steering head on my 2010) and secure the cable with wire ties are required.

Feel free to duplicate for yourself and enjoy the results, but use at your own risk.

Cheers.

The full set of pictures can be found here: Link to pictures

Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:13 pm

Blaine, as per my PM, I managed to get the GPS in and Audio out complted on the weekend.
I havent had the same problem as you with the low GPS command volume.
The audio system semi mutes the music audio when the GPS commands are recieved.
I went into the ZUMO setup menu and seleceted 100% volume for the GPS and then selected the volume control button on the front of the unit and powered it up to full volume.
While it isnt screaming at me, it is certainly loud enough to hear what Miss Daisy is telling me.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 11:24 am

Blaine,

I also haven't noticed any problem with the GPS (665) audio out level. I made a connector like you did but with some slight differences. I used 1K resistors (only because that's the info I found on an audio website, it may not make a difference) and it looks like I wired with opposite polarity from yours. I couldn't find any definite info but my assumption was that white/brown would be audio ground (since brown in BMW wiring is ground) and white is connected to the resistors (audio positive).

Tom
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 9:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what the deal is with the audio level. I tried both polarities and could not hear a difference. I also noticed that the Zumo volume is a bit low on Bluetooth as well. I will have to investigate a bit more I guess.

Cheers
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 11:33 pm

Excuse my ignorance here but, what are the resistors for in the audio-in cable?
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 8:47 am

The resistors are designed to prevent short circuiting the 2 channels on the output of the Zumo together preventing damage to the Zumo. In effect this creates a mixer summing the two channels into one mono signal.

Cheers
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 8:42 am

Last night I helped my friend with a new 2011 R1200RT wire up a 3.5mm female TRS receptacle so he could use his Etymotic earbuds with the RT's audio and source controls.Steve's (snelso15) instructions in post #68 on this thread were right on the money. The setup works perfectly. Thanks, Steve!

Mike
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 12:46 pm

Quote:
By using the Starcom1 or Autocom interface lead you are protecting against a potential pre-amp destroying over-voltage while avoiding a ground loop at the same time.

If you are using Autocom, look at 2273 or 2275. The later has a switch to choose between the speakers and the Autocom.

The 2nd ring on the connector is probably for a microphone input either present or future.

My advice is to use the car stereo interface cable with either system and ignore that jack. My guess is that the jack has to do with future factory expansion like top-case mounted rear speakers, a Bluetooth module, or what not. Just hook into the speaker outputs using a 2273 or 2275, be done, and get out riding.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 8:31 pm

post #68 by Steve worked like a charm on my 2012 RT. I now have Scarlo G4 with phone and GPS thru Nav IV, and Sirius radio, I pod or whatever thru blue tooth.... by adding cable and blue tooth dongle... And all controlled by the onboard system... works great.

I am bumping this for newbees....this was a big find for me.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 9:43 am

I've been following this thread, and all I read about is a hard-wired audio system. This bike has BT and it should work flawlessly...for $1300. After spending that kind of money, you shouldn't have to wire-around the BT system to receive quality audio.

I'm very disappointed, and what makes it worse, is I didn't want the audio system in the first place.
Look Twice for Motorcycles
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasrtrider
I've been following this thread, and all I read about is a hard-wired audio system. This bike has BT and it should work flawlessly...for $1300. After spending that kind of money, you shouldn't have to wire-around the BT system to receive quality audio.

I'm very disappointed, and what makes it worse, is I didn't want the audio system in the first place.
It isn't a matter of the system not being able to support quality w/ BT for me. BT is just one part of the sound system and a part I didn't want to use -- charging my helmet to support a long ride just isn't something I'm interested in.

One simple cable and I've got PERFECT hardwired sound in my helmet, so I don't need extra electronic toys.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 11:53 am

Quote:
It isn't a matter of the system not being able to support quality w/ BT for me. BT is just one part of the sound system and a part I didn't want to use -- charging my helmet to support a long ride just isn't something I'm interested in.

One simple cable and I've got PERFECT hardwired sound in my helmet, so I don't need extra electronic toys.
I too will testify to the above.

God Bless America
2011RT~"Favor" of God
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 3:06 pm

Hi All - I've been following this post with interest as I have a new 2012 R1200RT with the BMW Factory radio system and too would like to use my 3.5 mm ear buds without having to go Blue Tooth -Demtris do you know if the plug you show would be on the steering head on a 2012RT (as some BMW folks claim) I have a small 2 connector plug and then a larger 4 connector exactly like the one you show - maybe it's the audio plug we're speaking of for the mysterious rear speakers- in case you hadn't noticed I'm trying avoid a Tupperware party for this plug if I have to correct one on the steering head I can easily reach it by hand with no disassemble -- comments welcome some of the BMW documents seem to indicate they "may" have moved this plug (the 4 connector) here in expectation of some type of hook-up or at least the other side of the connector? Maybe not? if I do pull the fairing and find the "plug" by the tach I will post as such --

Chilly -Colorado (former a K1200LT rider - now enjoying w/o audio my RT)

Rocky Mtn High "it's much more than a John Denver song!"

2012 R1200RT - The gray shark - oh what a ride!
1995 Honda "Pacific Coast" Honda's woefully underpowered answer to the LT
2002 K1200LTC Royal Blue (SOLD to Grant (Colo Sprgs) as he could fix the ABS)
1987 G1200A (SOLD)
1984 GL1200A (my first "big" bike)
1983 GL650i (I wish I still had this all org collector)
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 8:56 am

Note to self - read forum first - then post -- I found that this is in fact the four pole connector under the steering head (and I have one) also that MAX BMW (Thanks Drew) has the correct part for the "male" side of the plug (BMW Part #83300413584) I will soon be enjoying my custom fitted ear plug/phones again!!! no more crappy radio at 60 mph (or more!)

Thanks to all that posted the answer to the question that BMW never seemed to want to address!

1987 G1200A (SOLD)
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:29 pm

Works like a champ! follow the instruction in post #68 and your good to go my "beats" buds never sounded better - the "plug"is located on the steering head fro the 2010-2012 RT's
the posted part number 83300413584 is correct and available at max BMW (www.maxbmw.com) remember to set the setting on the "tone" function and fader --

See ya down the road - I'll be the one rocking side to side with the beat!

Chilly

1987 G1200A (SOLD)
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 7:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelso15
I also have found sound for the rear speaker plug on my 2010 R1200RT. The plug on the bike is on the right side of the front hoop, over the headlamp. It is on the hoop just below the windscreen power motor on the right side. I had to take the headlamp out to find it on my bike. It was taped to the hoop. It has four wires, all grey with a stripe. The grey w/brown stripe is the ground, grey w/white stripe is the right speaker, grey w/red stripe left speaker, grey w/black stripe is not used. The correct part number for the plug that matches the plug on the bike is BMW # 83 30 0 413 584. It is a 4 wire plug with numbers on the back and on each wire. When this plug is plugged into the bike the ground wire for the left and right is #1, the right speaker is #3, the left speaker is #4, #2 is not used. I was able to hook mine to a 3.5mm extension wire that I ran to the glove box where I hooked it to blue tooth adaptor. Now I have bluetooth music to my helmet when I want. I can connect ear buds or my bluetooth adaptor to the 3.5mm female end. When I have the fader on anything less than 10 it plays music to the front speakers and my helmet. With the bluetooth adaptor there is a slight delay to my helmet, that has been the only negative. There is no delay with earbuds. (my description of right is if your sitting on the bike) Good luck. Steve

Thanks for the good info. Can you tell me the best place to find the 3.5 mm extension wire to use with your instructions? I have the BMW 584 plug and I thought is was going to come with the 3.5 mm end. Thanks.