Sound system for new R1200RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

Old Nov 21st, 2009, 10:41 am

Sound system for new R1200RT

Good morning all. Interested in buying an '09 R1200RT, and I have a few questions. I'd enjoy music on the bike, coming through speakers. The RT at the dealer has no speakers. Among the options:

1. Buy aftermarket speakers and amp from Cycle Sounds & have BMW dealer install them (about $300 + install), hard wire in my Zumo 550 (presently mounted on my V-Star, get another cradle and wires to move unit between bikes as desired), mission accomlished.

1.a. Buy BMW Speakers (I understand these are around $600), aftermarket amp, do above, mission accomplished. Note - '09 bike with radio prep kit (speakers in for around $450) not available without $400 ASC that I don't really need.

1.b. Does anyone know the size of the speakers normally in a R1200RT fairing?

2. Buy BMW Nav IV, do same as above.

2.a. I'd read elsewhere that the Nav IV mp3 works only through bluetooth headset (and therefore won't play music through external speakers). Accurate? If so, that would prompt me right back to the Zumo 550.

3. I might like to be able to use an AutoCom system to be able to pipe the music into my helmet for longer trips, and also chat with my passenger, in addition to retaining the option to play the music through the bike speakers at other times.

4. I'm new to this stuff, but sure enjoy the music coming through speakers, no wires to hook up to helmet etc., just hop on, Zumo 550 powers up, pick a song, listen through speakers. Great for short hops, errands around town.

I'd be pleased for thoughts about how best to accomplish this.

Thanks so much. Best, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 7:59 am

Re: Sound system for new R1200RT

Trojan,

Welcome.

I did a search on the RT section of this site using "speakers". Lots of information came up. You should be able to answer your questions this way.

I seem to remember some riders using speakers from marine applications as other options.
'04 R1200C Montauk
'95 R100R Classic

'84 R80RT (naked)(sold)
'94 R100GSPD (sold)
'84 R100S (wannabe)(sold)
'97 R1100RSL (sold)
'81 R100 (sold)
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 9:22 am

Jensen makes a radio for motorcycles. I have mine mounted below the instrument panel. Radio is about $200 and is AM FM Weather band. Controls are a little awkward but work OK.

I use Auto Com and helmet speakers but one could find speakers to fit.

I don't know if there is enough amp to power those speakers at higher speeds.

Works OK with helmet speakers.

Karl
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 10:47 am

The BMW radio option is overpriced ,get a marine radio and add the marine speakers this will save money for other necessary stuff (farkles)..Look in the forums under radio or speakers.Someone put a very detailed install with pictures several months ago.As soon as I get a weekend free I am going to put a radio and speakers in,until then XM thru the 550 works great...
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05hexhead
Trojan,

Welcome.

I did a search on the RT section of this site using "speakers". Lots of information came up. You should be able to answer your questions this way.

I seem to remember some riders using speakers from marine applications as other options.
Nick, thanks for the welcome. While I haven't come up with square answers to my questions yet, there sure does seem to be a lot of relevant information here through the use of the search engine and just browsing around. And, of course, I've posed these questions to the local dealer as well, and I'd expect to hear back from them pretty soon.

I think where I'd like to finish is with mp3 sound through the speakers when I want it, and mp3 sound through the helmet when I want it that way, as well as rider to passenger communication, and to have all of it be simple, work great from the start, and be reasonably priced. I don't need to squeeze the last dime out of anybody, but I'd like to have it be reasonable. At least as far as the reasonable part, on my V-Star the Zumo 550, Cycle Sounds speakers and amp, work just great on the music and gps end of the deal.

We'll see how it goes with the RT.

Enjoying browsing the forum.

Best, John
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 10:27 am

My Jensen unit is off my bike and I was planning on selling it. Works perfectly but I changed over to sat. radio. I had a custom laser-cut piece made to install the antenna. Looks slick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocanpickem
Jensen makes a radio for motorcycles. I have mine mounted below the instrument panel. Radio is about $200 and is AM FM Weather band. Controls are a little awkward but work OK.

I use Auto Com and helmet speakers but one could find speakers to fit.

I don't know if there is enough amp to power those speakers at higher speeds.

Works OK with helmet speakers.

Karl
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 7:50 pm

How effective are speakers on an RT when riding on the highway with a full coverage helmet?... and earplugs? The alternative, of course, is a pair of in-helmet speakers.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 7:14 am

I have a 2008 RT with the factory radio and speakers. I listen to the radio or CD 100% of the time I am riding. The only thing I changed was the windscreen. I added a CalSci windscreen and it is so quite I can now listen to the radio or CD at highway speeds. I was thinking about a new Zumo 665 which has XM radio and antenna as standard. I was wondering if I could use the mp3 cord in the CD bay to connect to the Zumo. I could then have the XM radio routed thru my speakers. That would be cool...
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 8:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbqfan
I have a 2008 RT with the factory radio and speakers. I listen to the radio or CD 100% of the time I am riding. The only thing I changed was the windscreen. I added a CalSci windscreen and it is so quite I can now listen to the radio or CD at highway speeds. I was thinking about a new Zumo 665 which has XM radio and antenna as standard. I was wondering if I could use the mp3 cord in the CD bay to connect to the Zumo. I could then have the XM radio routed thru my speakers. That would be cool...
Morning dbqfan, won't be too long for us now...been a long winter. I've probably noted this in another post, but I finished up with the '09 RT, bought it with the radio prep kit, so it has the speakers. Had my Zumo 550 mounted. Also autocom. I listen to the Zumo through the helmet, or through the speakers - to switch back and forth, I switch plugs going into the Zumo. 5 seconds. No XM for me yet, but with a subscription and an antenna, it could happen....

Best, John
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 3:39 pm

Off subject , but I have no idea how one could enjoy listening to music with all the extraneous noise riding a motorcycle .
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 4:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckturgidson
Off subject , but I have no idea how one could enjoy listening to music with all the extraneous noise riding a motorcycle .
Problem solved:

http://www.active-ears.com/iplugz.html

I had a set of these made and it is delightful to be able to listen to the XM without all the wind noise. Originally I had the speakers for the Autocom system in the helmet and had to use a lot of volume to overcome the wind noise. This was causing grief for my hearing with the high db levels involved. I can plug the earphones into the Garmin without using the Autocom and have to use only a level 1 or 2 for the output now. The audio quality is also outstanding so music is quite nice too.

I have some Harley buddies who have Ultra Classics with the stereo system, and the radios end up making more racket than the pipes.

"Loud Stereos Save Lives"????
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 4:19 pm

When you're halfway between Cheyenne and Salt Lake, your brain will thank you.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 4:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatz
How effective are speakers on an RT when riding on the highway with a full coverage helmet?... and earplugs? The alternative, of course, is a pair of in-helmet speakers.
2009 RT with factory stereo (overpriced, but it was on the bike ...). I listed to the radio/CD 100% of the time. At highway speeds without earplugs there's too much turbulence to make out the radio. With earplugs and full face helmet, clear as a bell. I expect it to get better once I find the right windscreen.

BTW, when I connect my iPod to the input I can't get enough volume, even with the iPod all the way up and the factory unit sensitivity turned to P6. Anyone else experience this? I'm thinking inline amp for the input to the stereo. Tried my son's Boosteroo but it wasn't enough.

JayJay
'07 Honda Rebel (gone)
Kids (gone - graduated and employed!)
'81 Honda Gold Wing (gone)
'75 Honda CB500 Twin DOHC (gone)
'77 Honda CB750 (gone)
Bride (going strong)
BMWMOA 159659
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 5:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay
2009 RT with factory stereo (overpriced, but it was on the bike ...). I listed to the radio/CD 100% of the time. At highway speeds without earplugs there's too much turbulence to make out the radio. With earplugs and full face helmet, clear as a bell. I expect it to get better once I find the right windscreen.

BTW, when I connect my iPod to the input I can't get enough volume, even with the iPod all the way up and the factory unit sensitivity turned to P6. Anyone else experience this? I'm thinking inline amp for the input to the stereo. Tried my son's Boosteroo but it wasn't enough.

JayJay
I had the same problem until I bought a CalSci windscreen. I can now listen to the radio or CD at highway speed with no wind noise or wind buffeting noise. With the stock windscreen any highway riding was terrible with the wind noise and wind buffeting. The stock windscreen is one of the worst I have had on any of my motorcycles.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Again, off the subject, but I must be extremely naive. It is my belief that to stay alive riding a motorcycle you must pay 100+% attention to the road and the environment. How can one possibly do that listening to music or heaven forbid, the news!!!???
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 7:15 pm

Do you ever listen to the radio in your car? Even with the windows up? How on earth do you manage to drive? How can you hear the ambulances?

Since 1990 I've religiously used ear protection. I've been riding with helmet speakers and earplugs since then. Recently I've converted to earplug speakers instead of helmet speakers. More noise? No. Less. What I've found is:

The earplugs actually reduce nuisance noise by 80% and allow me to HEAR cars and EMT sirens a lot better. While riding I hear the wind noise less and the other noise better. For some reason I am able to hear cars, sirens, horns, etc better WITH earplugs.

When I rode without earplugs I could only hear sirens when stopped. Everything else was a ROOOAARRR! At the end of the day my ears RANG (from damage) and I still couldn't hear anything. And I was fatigued from all the noise all day. Maybe the earplugs allowed me to focus better on extra noises after a long day? I don't care what BS any LEO lectures me about hearing. I'll take the ticket. I hear better with earplugs and I can focus on sounds better at the end of the day with them.

The addition of a little bit of music doesn't change things --- very much. From what I observe in traffic I still hear stuff WAYYY before any of the cagers in cars do.

Besides, I usually turn my music way down before heading into traffic.

YMMV.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 7:52 pm

Semio-

To each his own.

I guess that I just don't need that extra...stimulation or diversion. I love being on my bike...and I love my music. But I enjoy each separately.

As far as ear plugs go to cut out extraneous noise...+1.

IMHO
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 8:08 pm

I agree that ear plugs are the way to go; the way they filter sounds is nothing short of a miracle. I haven't had the pleasure of trying out any of the in-ear listening devices yet, but oh boy I bet they sound good.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 1:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by brselman
Semio-

To each his own.

I guess that I just don't need that extra...stimulation or diversion. I love being on my bike...and I love my music. But I enjoy each separately.

As far as ear plugs go to cut out extraneous noise...+1.

IMHO
Agreed , riding is more than enough stimulation on it's own , and music is enjoyed quietly at home with a nice glass of zin .
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 4:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by brselman
Again, off the subject, but I must be extremely naive. It is my belief that to stay alive riding a motorcycle you must pay 100+% attention to the road and the environment. How can one possibly do that listening to music or heaven forbid, the news!!!???
Difficult as it may seem to you, you can listen to music and safely operate your motorcycle at the same time.

I always had a nice stereo system on all my Harley touring bikes and I have the factory BMW system on my '09 RT. I have no trouble listening to it at highway speeds. Yes, it was ridiculously expensive, but the convenience of the factory controls and the automatic volume control (speed-controlled) go a long way to make the cost more palatable. I have to say though that the ergonomics of the BMW radio controls don't hold a candle to those on Harleys which are well-placed and much easier to use.

Regarding listening to music via earplugs, keep in mind that this practice is illegal in some venues including Pennsylvania where they are legal for intercom communications only.
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 2:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbqfan
I had the same problem until I bought a CalSci windscreen. I can now listen to the radio or CD at highway speed with no wind noise or wind buffeting noise. With the stock windscreen any highway riding was terrible with the wind noise and wind buffeting. The stock windscreen is one of the worst I have had on any of my motorcycles.
dbqfan - thanks for the feedback on the CalSci windscreen. Turns out their factory is next town over from mine, I've already been in touch with them to try one.

FWIW, California Vehicle Code would seem to preclude in-ear speakers (see below). I was unaware that exception d) regarding ear protection had been put in there; I've always worn them and risked a ticket. Nice to know it's legal now.

CVC 27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears. This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined in Section 165.

(b) A person engaged in the operation of either special construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any highway.

(c) A person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.

(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

(e) A person using a prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing.
'07 Honda Rebel (gone)
Kids (gone - graduated and employed!)
'81 Honda Gold Wing (gone)
'75 Honda CB500 Twin DOHC (gone)
'77 Honda CB750 (gone)
Bride (going strong)
BMWMOA 159659
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 1:54 pm

Like others here (hear ) I have a CalSci screen, which significantly improves the ability to listen to the sound system

I also have moulded ear plugs with 35db filters, which are exceptionally efficient at lowering noise whilst still allowing important stuff through. With the 35db plugs I can hear the radio much better than without, it never ceases to amaze me how much noise there is from the bike when I forget the earplugs

Off across Australia next week (with about 2-3000 other Ulysses riders) so I'm relying on the good old iPod to provide some decent music for a week of riding, through the RT Sound System
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 9:21 am

Here is a good article on connecting an ipod to a R1200RT. I hope this helps everyone...

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...&Number=134041

Ferd
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Quote:
Since 1990 I've religiously used ear protection. I've been riding with helmet speakers and earplugs since then. Recently I've converted to earplug speakers instead of helmet speakers. More noise? No. Less.
I have recently acquired a 2000 LT. Knowing nothing about the bike's audio systems, I am reviewing info regarding comm systems on this site. Saw your message about earplug speakers.

You have had them for a while now. How do you like them? Would you get them again? What brand and where are they available?

Thanking you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Jonny Oliver
Concord, NC

2000 K1200 LT
1993 K1100 LT
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 11:15 pm

Hello All, it is the biggest mistake I made, I did not order the factory radio on my RT.
That said, I went with the J&B CB and with the XM radio through the helmet speakers works great!

2 Ride video"s http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...<br /> 186449
http://s566.photobucket.com/user/joh...fbff6.mp4.html
IBA 53744
BMW J&M CB
Sirius/XM Radio
Hyper-Lights
IBA 53744
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein.

A Twist of the Wrist is all that's needed.....
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 1:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky
That said, I went with the J&B CB and with the XM radio through the helmet speakers works great!
Risky,

Maybe a dumb question; but, does the J&B CB have and audio out plug to connect your helmet speakers to?

Regards,

2010 BMW R1200RT
1987 Harley Davidson FXRT (Sold)
1983 Kawasaki KZ650 (Sold)
1973 Honda 350 Four (Sold)
1972 Suzuki 250 (Sold)
1970 Kawasaki A7 Avenger (Sold)

Old Jan 15th, 2011, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckturgidson
This is redundant concerning ear plugs, but after trying almost all things both
cheap and expensive, I have found nothing that works like custom made
In-ear monitors. They are comfortable, cut ambient noise by around 25 or
more db, still allow you to hear what is going on around you and not only
minimize the number of decibels of sound going into your ears, they
also allow you to hear in unbelievably rich fidelity that helmet speakers
can't come close too. Check out "livewires" website for a decent
product at a great price....from there on up, the sky is the limit
depending on what you want to spend.

Trojan, Does the 09 have the 4 prong wiring harness on the non radio
equipped models? There is a thread on the new GL forum concerning
the radio/sound system and one of the posts linked the radio manual
for the new 10 RT system which may or may not answer some of
your questions....but it should give you an idea of how to look at
the 09 RT radio manual to get some wiring/integration information.

This might help....Here is a link to the radio book that can be downloaded for the newer rt with the bluetooth function this might help explain how it all works.Change the model to rt and then click downloads and you will see the radio manual.
http://www.bmw-motorrad.dk/dk/da/index.html

I just wish these manufacturers would stop all the proprietary integration
deals with suppliers and give us a couple of simple in/out
connections that would make it easy for the owner to do/use what
we want.

Last edited by JonfromCB; Jan 15th, 2011 at 9:18 am.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 9:09 am

I asked a member from another forum who had a local(big box) store ABT install a radio and speakers. $300 and I am sold.BMW=Big Money Wasted when it comes to their radio setup. OK, I am cheap.
http://www.abt.com/category/56/Mobile-Electronics.html
BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!

Last edited by OU812; Jan 15th, 2011 at 10:20 am.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 9:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB

Trojan, Does the 09 have the 4 prong wiring harness on the non radio
equipped models?

Morning Jon - I'll confess I haven't any idea. I have Gina's do all the work on my bike, and just have them set things up to achieve the result I want. I deliberately bought mine with the radio prep kit so I could use the bike's speakers, but without the radio/cd player itself, as I use the Zumo's mp3 player. By the way, as it's turned out, I never use the bike's speakers, and always use the in-helmet speakers that are part of my Autocom system. When I used to ride without a helmet I enjoyed bike speakers, but I don't do that anymore.

As an aside, just picked up the Zumo 665 - henceforth I'll just leave my Zumo 550 on the V-Star, and put the 665 on the RT. Will probably activate the XM radio on the 665 for a year to see how I like that too.

Best, John
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 12:17 pm

I have a Zumo 665 setup on a BMR Co-Pilot Shelf.with XM, MP3, weaterh, red light camera alert and paired to my Blackberry storm and J & M Stereo blutooth headset.

I am using a simple HS-Blu277EDR-FF speaker set with built in Mic (Not a boom) in my Shoei RF-1100. I wear EAR-soft Gripper ear plugs at all times. I also have a standard size Ztechnik Vstream shield.

Passenger can blutooth or hardwire (removable) to my headset control unit. It is Stereo Bluetooth.

This model Headset comes with x-tra thick (read bigger drivers) J & M Speakers and sound absolutely fabulous.

I plyyed music professionally and did much stidio work most of my life, so needless to say I have high expectaions.

No need for a centralized additional system. The headset and the Blackberry both pair perfectly with the 665 and it priorotizes functions automatically, giving priority to phone calls, NAv and then music. The only thing I am really missing is bike to bike adn VOX to passenger, with the hardwire she hears everything I do and we just talk to each other as needed.

Why anyone would want the ridiculously expensive BMW stuff is beyond me. I spent less.
even with the Zumo.

I suppose the external speaker idea came from when folks didn't wear helmets??? But the sound of those external speakers will never match the quality of the J & M stereo blutooth setup.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 12:18 pm

Thumbs up Re: Sound system for new R1200RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna
Risky,

Maybe a dumb question; but, does the J&B CB have and audio out plug to connect your helmet speakers to?

Regards,
Cessna,The J&B Cb radio has a audio in, so you simply plug in the XM. The CB has rider to rider and the music in the back ground and shuts off with the squelch when some thing comes over the cb, then back to music. All this time you can talk to each other through the helmet speakers.
It really is a good system, and I bought mine used over this forum some mounts ago…

2 Ride video"s http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...<br /> 186449
http://s566.photobucket.com/user/joh...fbff6.mp4.html
IBA 53744
BMW J&M CB
Sirius/XM Radio
Hyper-Lights
IBA 53744
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein.

A Twist of the Wrist is all that's needed.....
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 8:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky
If one doesn't need the CB radio built in, J&M's Integratr works very well and the price is certainly a lot lower!
Gone:
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
I have a Zumo 665 setup on a BMR Co-Pilot Shelf.with XM, MP3, weaterh, red light camera alert and paired to my Blackberry storm and J & M Stereo blutooth headset.

I am using a simple HS-Blu277EDR-FF speaker set with built in Mic (Not a boom) in my Shoei RF-1100. I wear EAR-soft Gripper ear plugs at all times. I also have a standard size Ztechnik Vstream shield.

Passenger can blutooth or hardwire (removable) to my headset control unit. It is Stereo Bluetooth.

This model Headset comes with x-tra thick (read bigger drivers) J & M Speakers and sound absolutely fabulous.

I plyyed music professionally and did much stidio work most of my life, so needless to say I have high expectaions.

No need for a centralized additional system. The headset and the Blackberry both pair perfectly with the 665 and it priorotizes functions automatically, giving priority to phone calls, NAv and then music. The only thing I am really missing is bike to bike adn VOX to passenger, with the hardwire she hears everything I do and we just talk to each other as needed.

Why anyone would want the ridiculously expensive BMW stuff is beyond me. I spent less.
even with the Zumo.

I suppose the external speaker idea came from when folks didn't wear helmets??? But the sound of those external speakers will never match the quality of the J & M stereo blutooth setup.
Atomicman, thanks for the great post. I am very encouraged by your "musician
endorsement." attesting to the fidelity of your system. Although I'm not interested
in pairing a phone or having intercom or CB capability, your system sounds
pretty straight forward.....Maybe I want too much, but I really think BMW's
multi-controller is the greatest safety/convenience motorcycle invention
in the last two decades and want my end "system" to be fully integrated
with the multi-contoller.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 4:16 pm

I thought I heard that all the new Rt's cmae with the OEM Sound system. (Maybe that was the K1600?)

Anyway, the touch screen mounted high on the BMR shelf and the simple controls on the J & M Headset make it very easy.

I seldomly if ever make phone calls but receiving them is 1 touch on the screen and then calls end thmeselves and return to music with nmo input.

XM is very easy.MP3's are a bit more difficult to futz with while riding.

And sorry about my lousy typing. I'm a great speller. Typing not so much!
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 12:11 am

Can anyone advise me on what in helmet speakers are used with the Zumo 665? Also, what kind of antenna comes with the 665 or are there options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan
Morning Jon - I'll confess I haven't any idea. I have Gina's do all the work on my bike, and just have them set things up to achieve the result I want. I deliberately bought mine with the radio prep kit so I could use the bike's speakers, but without the radio/cd player itself, as I use the Zumo's mp3 player. By the way, as it's turned out, I never use the bike's speakers, and always use the in-helmet speakers that are part of my Autocom system. When I used to ride without a helmet I enjoyed bike speakers, but I don't do that anymore.

As an aside, just picked up the Zumo 665 - henceforth I'll just leave my Zumo 550 on the V-Star, and put the 665 on the RT. Will probably activate the XM radio on the 665 for a year to see how I like that too.

Best, John
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 10:27 am

J& M Elite Bluetooth headset

Excellent Fidelty. easy controls. Upgradeable software.

http://jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=30

Puck style XM40 antenna. The only choice for the 665

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/alt-imag...ductImageLarge