BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Brake Bleeding Fatality

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  AlReich23 
#1 ·
I have an '04 with only 9k miles.
I was still using the original brakes and fluid.
I decided to replace the brakes and flish the fluid starting with the back.
I opened the reservoir and watched it as cracked the bleeder screw and drew out the fluid. I was crestfallen when I realized that there was a second reservoir tucked behind the tupperware on the right side. I filled and re-bled the line to remove any air. I then proceeded to bleed the left side of the rear wheel. It also seemed to draw from the same reservoir.
Now my rear brakes seem to work fine, but I get the constant "brake failure" flashing lights. I even disconnected the battery to see if I could reset the memory. It didn't help.
I'd be grateful for any help.

- Al '04 LT

#2 ·
Did you bleed both sides of the rear caliper? Both front calipers? Both outlets on your abs unit? These are easier to get to on the left side of the bike facing foreward. Once these are all completed and no air in the system and both chambers under the seat are completely full and the reservoir up front is full then you should be fine. You might as well do your clutch while you are doing all this. The bleed tube for this is zip-tied to the right tip over bar facing foreward, or the left facing front to back. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
The integral brakes ('02 and newer) are difficult to do properly. You might need to take it to the dealer, and they should be able to do it in 1/2 hour.

#4 ·
The rear reservoir feeds only the rear control circuit, it never gets to the caliper. There are two reservoirs ON the ABS unit. The short one is for the rear the tall one is for the front and this fluid is what goes out of the calipers. Fill both and if you still have the flashing lights - you have an uncorrected fault. Tow it to the dealer for a full system bleed.

Next time check the HOW and technical articles here for information on flushing the brakes. It is within the scope of the average mechanic but you need to know exactly what to do.

#5 ·
You can save some $$$ by removing the panels the dealer will have to remove and reinstall.

I'm always amazed by how fast the color of the brake fluid changes, how fast it sucks up water and I live with single digit humidity much of the year.

Thanks to this site, I found out about speed bleeders and have installed them on my brake and clutch lines.

When I had a problem removing the grub screw, someone pointed it I could chew it up with vice grips, cause I wouldn't be using it again.

Bob Leaky 00

#7 ·
jzeiler said:
The rear reservoir feeds only the rear control circuit, it never gets to the caliper. There are two reservoirs ON the ABS unit. The short one is for the rear the tall one is for the front and this fluid is what goes out of the calipers. Fill both and if you still have the flashing lights - you have an uncorrected fault. Tow it to the dealer for a full system bleed.

Next time check the HOW and technical articles here for information on flushing the brakes. It is within the scope of the average mechanic but you need to know exactly what to do.
Thanks for clearing up my reservoir question.

#8 ·
BecketMa said:
You can save some $$$ by removing the panels the dealer will have to remove and reinstall.

I'm always amazed by how fast the color of the brake fluid changes, how fast it sucks up water and I live with single digit humidity much of the year.

Thanks to this site, I found out about speed bleeders and have installed them on my brake and clutch lines.

When I had a problem removing the grub screw, someone pointed it I could chew it up with vice grips, cause I wouldn't be using it again.

Bob Leaky 00
Thanks for the tip on the grub screw, Bob.
That was the only reaon that I had to break down the right side tupperware.

#9 ·
You can do this job yourself in about 20 minutes. Don't give in and take it to the dealer.

Your LT manual will show you how to do the bleed at the servo unit. Its really easy to do and very difficult to mess up.

To remove the fault, you need to remove the Motronic fuse, or disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Better yet, see if someone in your area has a GS-911 tool you can borrow and clear the fault with the computer.

#10 ·
As far as bleeding goes it is very easy. Just get a long piece of tubing and run it from the bleed screw on the caliper back up to the reservoir (remember it is the short one). Fill the reservoir, turn on the key, hit the brakes and open the bleed screw. Let the fluid cycle through until there are no bubbles in the line. Takes about three minutes. (not counting prep time).

#12 ·
jzeiler said:
As far as bleeding goes it is very easy. Just get a long piece of tubing and run it from the bleed screw on the caliper back up to the reservoir (remember it is the short one). Fill the reservoir, turn on the key, hit the brakes and open the bleed screw. Let the fluid cycle through until there are no bubbles in the line. Takes about three minutes. (not counting prep time).
Great suggestion. Thanks John.

#13 ·
tbarstow said:
You can do this job yourself in about 20 minutes. Don't give in and take it to the dealer.

Your LT manual will show you how to do the bleed at the servo unit. Its really easy to do and very difficult to mess up.

To remove the fault, you need to remove the Motronic fuse, or disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Better yet, see if someone in your area has a GS-911 tool you can borrow and clear the fault with the computer.
Given the wealth of information from you and others in this forum, I'm optimistic that I'll avoid the bleeding of my wallet at the Dealer.

#14 ·
jzeiler said:
This worked like a charm. The flashing light is gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.