Royal Star - 1200 LT Handling Comparison? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

Old Sep 9th, 2008, 11:21 pm

Royal Star - 1200 LT Handling Comparison?

If all goes well I will be selling my 2005 Yamaha Royal Star Venture tomorrow and hopefully purchasing a 2005 Lt from the Las Vegas area. If all goes my way this will be the same inaugural ride for me on the LT as it was on the RSV since I bought it new in Las Vegas and rode it 432 miles home to Carson City.

I moved from an 1100 V-Star to the RSV and found it to be a big beast and heavy at slow speeds. I have 3 years and 25k miles on it and feel very comfortable with the exception of slow speed maneuvers. These I find challenging but have learned the quirks of the bike.

I replaced the stock seats with the Corbin but never found it to be as comfortable as the Mustang I had on the 1100.

All this being said I was wondering if there are any LT owners who have owned/ridden the RSV that could give me their thoughts.

All other thoughts or comments are welcome also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 6:33 am

Re: Royal Star - 1200 LT Handling Comparison?

I also had an 05 Yamaha Midnight Venture before I went to the LT. I put 38K miles on it in 18 months. People used to ask me if I worked. I told them I only worked 40 hours a week...... ...My wife and I did an Ironbutt on the Venture and rode it to visit her parents in northern Wisconsin. It was very top heavy with 6 gallons of gas above your waistline. I almost dropped it once when I stopped in a slight turn. It was all I could do to right it and I'm no slouch.........6' 210#. The Venture is a great bike and I loved it.
The LT is a different breed of bike. It doesn't ride or handle like the Venture. It's much sportier than the Venture. It's like getting out of a Suburban and getting into a Vette. I tell everyone it's a cross between a Goldwing and a crotch rocket. It doesn't feel as top heavy as the Venture did. The dry clutch makes it much easier to push around. You'll appreciate that there is no heat from the engine on your legs and you can adjust the wind you get when riding in the heat. The LT is similar to the Venture on the bottom end. It doesn't have the grunt of a V-twin so you can kill it if you dump the clutch at take off. But, like the 4 cylinder Yamaha, it likes to rev. The fun part is above 4k.
The LT sits a little higher than the Venture. The original seat sucked for me so I changed to a KonTour seat for the hot weather riding I do here in north Texas. It works great. The Venture was the ONLY bike I ever owned that I didn't change seats. The original seat reminded me of my Mustang seat on the Suzuki LC1500. I wouldn't put a Corbin on anything.
The LT is different from the Venture but you will get used to it fast and I think you will love it. I sure do. In retrospect, I would have purchased an aftermarket warranty. I bought used also. If I had drilled the weep hole for the slave cylinder, it would have saved me a lot. You'll learn a lot on this site. It's really an asset and all the people are very helpful. It's like a big family with a weird uncle here and there...... ...........Good luck with your purchase and I hope this helps. Ride safe...but ride.........

Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 6:37 am

Having owned a VSTAR and ridden a friends Harley,

The handling while moving down the road is completely different, in a good way.

The LT is by far the best luxury touring bike around.

With that said, myself and some others have gone from the LT to an RT because of the LT's weight and slow speed handling.

Many others will say its not a problem and you'll get used to it.
I was always able to manage, but never felt comfortable at slow speeds.

The RT isn't as good for two up as the LT, but, to me, is no less comfortable as a solo bike, and much more so at slow speeds.

Go to a dealer, and take the LT, RT, and GT out for a test ride, and then you'll know which one is right for you. Them BMW dealers actually let you take them for a test ride. That is somewhat of a rarity these days.

Enjoy the hunt
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 8:40 am

I have ridden my friends Royal Star and your right. It handles different at slow speed and is top heavy. If you got good at that bike you will be ok on the LT. The LT is challenging at slow speed but every bikes slow speed handling can be a challenge if you don't pay attention. (GW riders tip over at slow speed too, that is what my father in-law tells me, and he knows) The LT is top heavy as well but not as bad I think.

The big thing my buddy has issues with on my bike is he likes his feet forward. The Mick-o-pegs help with that.

You will either love the seat or hate it.

Have fun on your new bike.
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:06 am

Comparing the Yamaha Royal Star Venture and the BMW K 1200LT is more like beauty and the beast. Either bike can take on the role of beauty or beast.

The LT is definitely more of a high speed cruiser for a road with lots of twisties where the Venture is made for the interstate and those roads with long sweeping turns. I lost a lot of floorboard on the Venture even though they fold up riding the Tail of the Dragon.

I had a 2001 Venture changed out the first set of tires at 25,000 because of a 5,000 plus mile upcoming trip. I had one change of tires, several oil changes and a whole lot of fun. The only problem I ever had with the bike is one of the nuts that holds the seat to the frame vibrated loose going across-country and a local dealer took one off a NEW BIKE and replaced it. The radio controls on the Venture are a bit awkward but the CB worked like a champ even with an open face helmet. Taking the bike apart is a dream. You can have the tank off and the front faring off in less then 15 minutes. The saddle bags come off with 4 bolts. The Yamaha 1-800 customer service was always available for questions and could even provide an answer to a technical question.

Where as the LT had had 3 sets of tires in 24,000 miles been in for several different warranty problems to include a sever front tire wobble at around 40 mph which, new tires, perfect balance, new front spring, new steering dampener AND a new tree assembly taking the rake back to the pre-04 rake has failed to fix. A new rear brake rotor. I had a BMW dealer installed CB which on a good day can reach from my mic to my headset. To get the plastic off the front of the LT is a couple of hours work even after you done it a couple of times. Do not think of calling the BMW 1-800 number and getting anything resembling technical advice.

I have enjoyed the LT and have taken it on two (2) cross country trips in excess of 5,500 miles. With a custom seat (Bill Russle) you can ride all day. The Venture with the stock seat was just as pleasurable for me. I took it cross country once and did an Ironbutt on the way back home and then a trip to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Normally get about 42/44 MPG on the LT and got around 40/42 on the Venture.

There are not a lot of aftermarket parts for the LT parts but the Venture has a large selection of add onís.

I looked at the 09 Ventures. Had they put ABS on it and maybe fuel injection one would be in my garage tomorrow and the BMW would be looking for a new home.

Venture engines pretty much bullet proof and with a bit of tweaking you can make them very powerful by using V-MAX parts. LTís have a chip option and exhaust option short of having a customized turbo installed.
BMWMOA # 128948
IBA #19196
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:26 am

Be extra aware of the braking power of the LT in parking lot turns until you get used to it. DAMHIK