RT vs. GT again................. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 7:05 am

RT vs. GT again.................

I currently have an 06 RT that I bought new. While on a trip from Nevada to California I kind of decided to trade my RT on a new GT. A very good friend of mine owns a BMW dealer in the Southern California area and he was gracious enough to let me take the GT for the day. First impression was I needed this bike. As the hours went by I kind of came to the conclusion that I really did not need this bike. No radio, it was not as comfortable, it had less wind protection and was less user friendly when it came to one doing their own maintenance (valve adjustments, sync the injectors, etc.). Plus the transmission is now using the same oil that the engine is using, just not BMW. So I rode my RT home. A few weeks have now passed, I can't seem to get that motor out of my mind so I put my RT up for sale. I now have a couple of guys that seem interested in my RT and I now have to s__t or get off the pot.

I guess I should tell, I am 58 years "young" and I am thinking this might be my last real high performance bikes. I have owned Ducatis in the past, can't ride those guys anymore. I went to BMW sport bikes, which we all know are not Ducatis but have a better riding position. Last year I sold my R1100S and a K1200GT (the original one) because of their riding position. I guess my question is; is the GTs motor the only reason to buy this bike? I don't really tour but I do take two day trips as well as long day trips, I need therapy............. Thanks in advance.........Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 7:11 am

Re: RT vs. GT again.................

It sounds to me like you are in lust right now.

If you sold the R1100S and the old GT because of riding position, I would keep that in mind with the new GT. Take a new GT for a test ride again, as long as you can, and focus on the riding position and comfort. If it is comfortable eneough, then why not change ? If not, you may want to keep the RT.

Just my 2cents
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 12:24 pm
Pirate Bike

Follow your passion on this. If the GT speaks to you and you feel it's the right one, then you should get one. Life's too short!

As for the oil being shared with the motor and tranny, what's the big deal? Most japanese bikes are this way, including every high performance sport bike on the market and running in every roadracing class on the planet. If it works for them...
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 1:19 pm

The GT's motor was the reason I did choose the RT. The GT I test rode suffered from the same crappy FI that my K1200R had. I really wanted to buy the GT, but back to back, I loved the ride of the RT better. I do miss that crazy all out HP, but not as much as I thought I would. I commute on my bike and it is so nice to be able to slow speed manuever w/o all the clutching I was having to do w/ my KR to get around the choppy FI.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 3:44 pm

I'm 59 and just bought the 08 GT 2 days ago.

Motor is great.
Handling is great.
Comfort on highway is not so great but it's so much fun in the curves.
Windy on the highway
Smooth engine on GT vs vibro massage on RT
No radio (not so fixable), No trunk (expensively fixable).

I'm not sure this is my idea of a long distance tourer, though others are using it for just that. To me, its a great road burner, canyon carver, with some luggabe to carry some gear for mid range trips.

It makes my heart race, which may or may not be a good thing!

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 4:41 pm

Isn't it wonderful that we have the agony of too many choices?

I am 62 and have owned every BMW model mentioned in this thread (including an 06 LT).

I bought a new 2007 GT, fully optioned, and have not regretted a day of ownership yet.

I've had no problems including the dreaded fueling/airbox issues.

I am 6'1", and decided to try a Cee Bailey +4, +2 windscreen, Suburban Machinery peg lowering kit, Remus exhaust, large rear topbox, and keep the updated stock seat. After trying the bars at different heights, the middle position seemed to be the best, despite my original pre-conceived notion that higher was better. So far, this is a great combo.

I can't think of another bike that is this versatile, fast, high tech and safe.

Oh yeah, did I mention ....fast....?
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 4:51 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportourista
Oh yeah, did I mention ....fast....?
Why, no. No, you didn't
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 8:11 am

I traded my 06 RT for an 07 GT. Here are my thoughts after life with both.

The GT obviously has the monster engine, which is a big allure. It loves high speed cruising, and provides the smoothness that RT does not provide at higher RPM. I found that 85-90 mph cruising was where my RT felt the roughest, but overall the boxer is a smooth engine. It's a shame the counterbalancers were not dialed in better for the speed range I like to ride at.

When I bought the GT and rode it home, my first thoughts were.....what did I just do? Even with the bars up all the way, I felt pressure on my wrists, and shoulders. I am also getting knee pain as a result of having less leg room. As similar as the riding positions may seem on the showroom floor, the RT is measurably more comfortable in real world riding. I also tend to slide forward on the GT. I thought a change to an aftermarket seat would cure this, but it still is a problem with the Corbin saddle. I may need to send it back and have them build it up in the front.

I also feel the RT handles slightly better. It is a touch lighter and just feels lighter on it's feet. Some may disagree, but to me it was more fun in the twisties. Moreover, the wind protection was bette on the RT.

Now, here's the bottom line. After adding bar risers, Aeroflow windshield, and Corbin seat, the GT is infinately more comfortable than it was stock. However, I will probably add a peg lowering kit to try and reduce my knee pain. So to sum it up, if you buy the GT, you might want to prepare yourself for modifying it to get you close to RT comfort.

Frankly, I find I am missing my RT and may end up going back to an RT next year if I am disatisfied with the comfort at the end of the riding season.

Your choice, but unless you really need to cruise at 90+mph and want triple digit speed dominance, the RT will do everything the GT does, only better.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 6:03 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I currently ride a ST1300 Honda. I rode a friends K1200s, I liked it, but I need more comfort. My question is, which would be closer to my ST, the GT or RT.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 4:01 am
IBR# 366

I dunno since I've never ridden an ST. But fortunately, BMW is great about allowing test rides. So try the RT and GT yourself and see which one you like best.
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 59K miles and gone.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 32,690 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles & now rebuilt!
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 3:00 am

I took both the GT and RT for test rides on the day my 1150RT was being serviced.

That was back in May...

I plumped for the RT for the following reasons:

1. Better bar/seat relationship for me.

2. Better wind protection - Even with the seat in the higher of the 2 positions the GT cramped my knees and the screen was then not high enough.

3. Lighter - And you can feel the difference from the word go.

4. Bigger fuel tank/Better fuel economy on the RT and therefore better range.

Don't get me wrong, the GT was a cracking machine. I'm also sure that I could have got it to be a bit more comfy with some time/playing around.

However, why do that when you've spent all that money and BMW offer something else that gives you all these qualities from the off.

After some 2000 miles I'm also finding the RT's motor a little buzzy at the 85-90Mph range (4500Rpm ish) however I'm expecting that to smoothen out as the miles increase.

Still, it's a nice choice to have isn't it!?