BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

LT, LTE or LTC by VIN?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rldavidson2 
#1 ·
Is there any way to figure out if my bike is an LTC vs. LTE by looking at the VIN? I tried using the VIN decoder at http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi, but it didn't specify, either.

It's a 2003, and when I bought it new, it was with every conceivable option (GPS, CB, CD Changer, etc.). I thought that was the LTE, but my paperwork from BMW Financial Services says K1200LTC for the Make/Model.

I planned to call the dealer, but they are closed on Mondays. I could wait 'till tomorrow to call them, but I thought I'd check with the sages on the forum, as well.

Thanks,
Robert

#2 ·
The LTC was a factory-ordered model with a certain set of options pre-installed in Germany. The LTE included the CB, GPS, and bag liners, all installed by the dealer. So in effect, the dealer could turn any LTC into an LTE by adding the extra options in his own shop.

#3 ·
meese said:
The LTC was a factory-ordered model with a certain set of options pre-installed in Germany. The LTE included the CB, GPS, and bag liners, all installed by the dealer. So in effect, the dealer could turn any LTC into an LTE by adding the extra options in his own shop.
Well sort of...

All LTE's we're shipped to the dealers from BMW NA with the extra equipment. The dealer did have to install them though.

#4 ·
When in doubt, find the original paperwork

Well, I never did figure out a trick to telling what the bike was by the VIN. As noted here, it wasn't really a different model, rather it was a bundling of options. And apparently, BMW quit doing the bundling at some point.

So, I dug through the filing cabinet and found the original paperwork. Sure enough, the Make/Model was listed as the K1200LT Exodus.

Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.