BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Spiegler Brake Hoses

6K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  Tallyho 
#1 ·
I spent most of the day workin on my bike. Well not really ;) I started around 11:00am ,it took about 3 1/2 hours to tear her down and replace ALL the flex brake lines with Spiegler Stainless Steel flex lines. Man what a difference, NO MORE SOFT brakes, I road the NEEKID bike around the block and got a lot of looks :wow: Sense I had the body panels off I also gave her a good bath. Even washed the insides of the panels here are a few pics

You can get the line kits here http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/brakelines.cfm

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Easy now....

katnapinn said:
Hey now your not talkin to Jerry here :rotf: I can turn a wrench with the best of them :rolleyes:

BTW nice avitar ;)
Just wondering if you have one of them new fangled bleed'n tools.Nice pic eh ;)

#7 ·
Good job!

That's great Steve. I've got a set on the way - should be here Monday. I'm going to try and get them done this week.

I'm glad to have the older non-integrated brakes that I can bleed myself.

I've been having a few difficulties with my LT maintenance and was wondering if my girl still loved me. I'm going to woo her with a new set of brake lines and try to win her back. :)

Joe

#13 ·
ooops -

i just put up a new thread asking about any gothcas about changing the rear line on a 2000?

anything particular to note?

i got kinda scared when the shop manual shows using a crane to remove the rear subrame =8-o

#14 ·
hmmmm90s said:
i just put up a new thread asking about any gothcas about changing the rear line on a 2000?

anything particular to note?

i got kinda scared when the shop manual shows using a crane to remove the rear subrame =8-o
It's not that hard..... First remove rear seat then right rear foot peg plate. Next the small rear body panel (behind rear foot plate) then the front lower panel(gray one). There are 2 flex lines one bolts in just below the front of the rear shock mount. use a 17mm wrench to hold the nut and a 6mm Allen socket to remove banjo bolt. The other end goes to the master cyl behind the right drivers peg plate (witch has to be removed also). the 2nd line runs from the brake caliper to a juction block just in front of the right side case. Hold the block with a wrench and remove banjo bolt with a 6 mm Allen socket If you need help PM me and I'll walk ya threw it :rolleyes:

#16 ·
ibbones said:
Good job Steve! Let us know how you like'em.
Bones... Yesterday I hooked up the trailer , loaded about 200lbs in it and went for a lil test ride.The bike stopped with only the REAR brake. It's has never done that before,:wow: I always had to use both brakes when pulling the trailer. Plus I get NO brake fade:thumb: I would suggest every one get this kit and UPGRADE your brakes.

#17 ·
katnapinn said:
Bones... Yesterday I hooked up the trailer , loaded about 200lbs in it and went for a lil test ride.The bike stopped with only the REAR brake. It's has never done that before,:wow: I always had to use both brakes when pulling the trailer. Plus I get NO brake fade:thumb: I would suggest every one get this kit and UPGRADE your brakes.
I told you that in 2006. But, didja listen?

Huh?

What?

Eh?

#18 ·
katnapinn said:
Yeah yeah, I know. I'm still wanting to replace my throttle cables first.

#19 ·
Can you purchase just the rear replacement cables? Did you receive new washers for the banjo fitting? I tried to purchase a replacement washer for the banjo fitting for the rear shock adjuster, but the dealer said none were listed in the parts fish. I have no problem with my front brake at all, but my rear is mushy (for lack of a better term). I guess if I changed the front also, I would feel the difference there also.

#20 ·
I've been doing some reading regarding stainless steel brake lines. The lines from Spiegler seem to be good quality at a good price. Some parts are offered, but I didn't see washers for banjo bolts and fittings. I'm not sure how difficult they would be to obtain. What are the washers made of? I know some are made of copper.

Looking at another supplier's website, this warning is posted. http://www.helusa.com/HEL_Performance_Brake_Line_Aluminium.htm Hel Performance states that aluminum fittings should not be used with stainless steel lines due to electrolytic corrosion.

Spiegler's website doesn't specify if the fittings are stainless or aluminum, but the banjo bolts they sell are aluminum. I was unable to find the written lifetime warranty on their website. If there were to be a problem with electrolytic corrosion, how long would it take to occur? Would the failure be covered by the warranty?

While the answers may not be available here, I'm sending an e-mail to Spiegler. If I get a reply, there should be some details. I'll post what I find out.

#21 ·
Those brake hoses look great. I noticed you used white cable ties. Did you know that the white ones do not have UV protection built in. The black ones are the UV resistant ones. Next time you are in there you may want to replace the white ones. You will be surprised how fast the white ones get brittle and break when they are in the elements on a motorcycle.

#22 ·
2Wheelroadtrip said:
Those brake hoses look great. I noticed you used white cable ties. Did you know that the white ones do not have UV protection built in. The black ones are the UV resistant ones. Next time you are in there you may want to replace the white ones. You will be surprised how fast the white ones get brittle and break when they are in the elements on a motorcycle.
Couldn't you just use a factor 30 creme on them and leave them in situ? :histerica

Ok...... I'll get my coat

David

#23 ·
Question:
The Speigler website is only showing one part number for >98 & up K1200LT's. Are the lines the same with the integrated brakes? I would think there would be some differences in the routing / number of the lines between the integrated and non-integrated.

#24 ·
KMC1 said:
Question:
The Speigler website is only showing one part number for >98 & up K1200LT's. Are the lines the same with the integrated brakes? I would think there would be some differences in the routing / number of the lines between the integrated and non-integrated.
No difference. The hoses you are changing out are outside the area where the ABS changes are.

#26 ·
Steve_R said:
No difference. The hoses you are changing out are outside the area where the ABS changes are.
They may all work but BMW has three different PN's for the fork mounted hoses between ABS II, Integral and 05 and up. Also the rear caliper hose has a different PN between pre and post 05. Again they may all work from Speigler as there are not significant changes here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.