BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

DA for GT?

9K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  jayjacobson 
#1 · (Edited)
Are GT riders allowed to join the Droppers Anonymous club, or do I have to start my own chapter? :eek: :mad:

But really, it wasn't my fault. It was a mechanical failure, or a design flaw, or something that I can blame on BMW anyway. :)

I had pulled in to my Grandma's driveway in Arkansas after CCR and parked. After hugs & kisses and greetings, I opened her garage door, rode the bike inside, and put it on the side stand. I then got off, pulled it upright, put my right foot on the center stand tab, left hand on the grip, right hand on the grab rail, and lifted.

Suddenly, the bike was falling away from me. :eek: I vainly tried to stop it, but it had gone too far so I ended up falling flat on top of the bike as it laid down with a very loud and disconcerting crunch. :mad:

After picking myself up, I called Dayle out to help me right the bike. After we got the bike upright, I discovered that the center stand tab that you stand on had broken almost all the way through.

Note that there are no crash guards on the GT. Even so, the damage wasn't that bad. There were scrapes on the saddlebag lid and the back edges of the front fairing, but these had been covered with protective film when I first got the bike. It looks like there was no serious paint damage or plastic cracks, so I imagine some new film will hide those warts. There is a small mark on the edge of the mirror (which had bent up out of the way like it was supposed to), but not enough to freak out about. The biggest problems were a busted PHID driving light, and big scratches to a helmet visor and a broken helmet vent tab (helmet was sitting on the bike at the time).

I was just lucky that I was in the center of an empty garage and not a couple of feet closer to the wall. Having to ride 3,500 miles home with a busted windshield would have sucked big time. In fact, the biggest problem I had was trying to change out the rear tire a few days later with a seriously damaged center stand. I took the bags and trunk off to get as much weight off the back of the bike as I could, and asked for help to get it lifted. It was then I realized that the center stand was folding way too far forward.

You can see that the bottom feet should be level to the ground, not lifted up in front. This meant that the rear wheel was just touching the ground when on the stand. I had noticed the bike was getting harder and harder to put on the center stand, but I had just thought it was because the bike was loaded for two-up travel.

I set the ESA to solo to reduce preload (and thus reduce shock extension slightly), and pulled the rim off. I was awfully nervous while the wheel was off the bike and kept checking to see if it was still upright. I also wondered if I could get a new, rounder, taller tire back on without having to lift the rear of the bike further. But I managed to replace the wheel and complete my trip without further problems. I just had to remember to only fuel on the side stand on the way home.

I called my dealer and informed them, who checked my serial number and said that my bike didn't fall under the Service Bulletin for the '06 center stands. But they ordered a new center stand on my word alone. They're replacing it now during the 24K service and in fact had to overnight some more parts when they took it apart and saw that the stop brackets were bent. They're also going to speak with the regional BMW representative about covering the other damages. I wish it hadn't failed in the first place, but I can't fault the dealer's efforts to take care of the problem without hassle.

Now where did I see that post about modifying frame sliders to work on the GT? :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Bummer. I had my stops replaced at 6K, then the whole kit & caboodle at 19K. That pic of your GT up on it's bent stops sure does look like what mine looked like with the old centerstand. Mine has been just fine ever since I had the newer version installed. Hopefully, you'll have the same experience.

As for frame sliders . . . puhleeze! :rolleyes:

#4 ·
Dang Ken, that is teh suck... Good on you to post up so your fellow GT owners are aware this possibility. I'm assuming the service bulletin was for the bending stops, or have there been other failures like yours?

If any of my bikes go over in the garage, there's definitely going to be something broken (not a lot of room for error in there).

#5 ·
Ken...sorry to hear about the damage to your bike. Hopefully they will warranty it. Gosh...that stinks. You know, after having to muscle my LT onto the centerstand for quite a while, when I first putmy GT on the centerstand, I just about threw it backwards out of the garage. It was so much lighter. I'm gonna do it carefully now.

I was wondering, can you get a pic posted of the bent "stops"?

#6 ·
Sorry to hear bout the drop Ken. And thanks for the post. I am assuming the '07 models have already had this upgrade. At least I hope so.

I was up to the dealer yesterday to get the brake wear sensor repaired and he asked if there was anything else to be attended to. No mention of this or any other of the problems I've been hearing about came from him. It turned out to be the broken wire syndrome on mine.

Nice ride to the dealership and about 3 hours round trip with a couple of hours spent waiting. I was given a '07 1200RT as a loaner to go get some eats, shot the bull with the salesman, wondered around the shop for a bit, and was on my way back home...with no red light starring at me. Got out of there with a hat purchase and ordered an extension wire for the Autocom connection to the Sirius. All for under a $100.00! :bmw:

All in all a good day.

#7 ·
messenger13 said:
Bummer. I had my stops replaced at 6K, then the whole kit & caboodle at 19K. That pic of your GT up on it's bent stops sure does look like what mine looked like with the old centerstand. Mine has been just fine ever since I had the newer version installed. Hopefully, you'll have the same experience.

As for frame sliders . . . puhleeze! :rolleyes:
Joe, I know you had the stops replaced, but I didn't realize they later replaced the whole center stand. Interesting. As for overloading, we had two weeks of clothes for Dayle, three weeks for me, a saddlebag full of tools for the IBR checkpoint, two laptops, rain gear and extra gloves for both of us, etc. At one point, we had soft bags bungied on top of both saddlebags, plus the rack on top of the trunk. It was then that we started shipping things home.

And I need frame sliders. Where else am I gonna bolt my highway pegs? :D

#8 ·
messenger13 said:
On second thought...
Maybe's it's high-time you started on the Atkin's Diet. :rotf: Too much good eats at CCR, or what??!!??
By the way, how's that diet of yours coming along? :)

#9 ·
hoog62 said:
Dang Ken, that is teh suck... Good on you to post up so your fellow GT owners are aware this possibility. I'm assuming the service bulletin was for the bending stops, or have there been other failures like yours?

If any of my bikes go over in the garage, there's definitely going to be something broken (not a lot of room for error in there).
Yep, the Service Bulletin was for the bending center stand stops. My bike was supposedly outside the affected VIN range, but they took care of it without hassle. The dealer said that hadn't seen one break there before, but they were going to send the bits back to BMW for inspection. (I've heard that one before. :)

I did have a K100LT go over and into a fence once, taking out the windshield. That sucked.

#10 ·
cccpastorjack said:
Ken...sorry to hear about the damage to your bike. Hopefully they will warranty it. Gosh...that stinks. You know, after having to muscle my LT onto the centerstand for quite a while, when I first putmy GT on the centerstand, I just about threw it backwards out of the garage. It was so much lighter. I'm gonna do it carefully now.

I was wondering, can you get a pic posted of the bent "stops"?
I didn't get a close up of the bent stops. Maybe Joe took a pic when it happened to him? If you look at my last pic at the top of the stand just below the pivot point is a square block. That rests against a metal tab just in front of it that is bolted to the bottom of the frame casting using that allen screw that's pointed down. Basically, the pivot is attached firmly to the frame, so any excessive force is transmitted by the square block to the stop, which is a much weaker component that bows outward allowing the stand to rotate a bit further forward. If you lay down and look at your own bike you should see what I mean.

And I actually think the GT is harder to put on the center stand than the LT (unless the shocks are worn). Must be better leverage on the LT stand.

#11 ·
SoberBiker said:
Sorry to hear bout the drop Ken. And thanks for the post. I am assuming the '07 models have already had this upgrade. At least I hope so.
Like I said, mine was supposedly outside the affected VIN range. I believe mine was built in January 2007, though I don't have the bike back yet to check. But it happened, they fixed it, and I kept on riding. Can't ask for much more.

#12 ·
Ken,
Sorry to hear about the drop, It does get expensive fast on these GT's. Mine is get tougher all the time to get up on the center stand. I will have to go do a closer inspection.

#13 ·
meese said:
And I actually think the GT is harder to put on the center stand than the LT (unless the shocks are worn). Must be better leverage on the LT stand.
Yea...you DEFINITELY need a new centerstand. The GT is WAY easier than the LT. Not that the LT was all that difficult. But in comparison, the GT wins hands-down, when the centerstand is fuctioning properly.

#14 ·
Warning

meese said:
I discovered that the center stand tab that you stand on had broken almost all the way through.

I have noticed a progressive increase in resistance when I put my bike on the center stand prior to my center stand failure. My center stand fractured at the crossover tube. In fact my centerstand exploded while riding during the 07 IBR .
I am posting this as a warning to others. The fracture to my stand seemed to occur from the inside .
One may not see the destruction in progress. As a precautionary measure I plan to gusset my replacement stand.

#15 ·
Warning

meese said:
I discovered that the center stand tab that you stand on had broken almost all the way through.

I have noticed a progressive increase in resistance when I put my bike on the center stand prior to my center stand failure. My center stand fractured at the crossover tube. In fact my centerstand exploded while riding during the 07 IBR .
I am posting this as a warning to others. The fracture to my stand seemed to occur from the inside .
One may not see the destruction in progress. As a precautionary measure I plan to gusset my replacement stand.

#16 ·
murray said:
meese said:

Murray...Did YOURS break too? What year is your bike?

#17 ·
Pete's riding an LT, though we have heard of that type of break happening on more than one LT.

#18 ·
Beware, the centerstand is the devil's magic!

IMO, other than on the LT, hydraulics/electrical, is an evil contraption concocted by the devil himself.
And that sooner or later the centerstand, will bite you in the ass as sure as the day is long.

HD, has in my opinion the BEST sidestand designed and implemented. But, my good buddy goes and gets a (non-HD) centerstand, but being sold by HD dealers, and guess what? Drops his 'Glide' putting it on the centerstand.

#19 ·
meese said:

HAHA
Heck Ken, my LT is easier to put on the center stand than our Daughters 250cc Ninja!

(then again it's raised <g>)

sorry to see your damage,

Tom

#22 ·
messenger13 said:
I've lost 15 pound in the last few weeks. So I guess, neither. :p

And I ain't the one breaking stuff when I step on it. 'Cept maybe YOU! Now...get over here!!! :rotf:
I doubt youd break me, Joe. On another note, if ya ever want to catch the Lake Erie Monsters....gimme a call, being a referee, I get free tix on the nights I skate.

F

#23 ·
Dang that sucks! Glad BMW is stepping up to it.

Now if I could just get that kind of response to the center stand failure on my 30 year old /7 ...dang frame mount threads are shot on one side plus those are famous for having the tang break off like yours (though in fairness, you're not supposed to stand on those old ones).

When is BMW going to admit they can't build a center stand worth a damn :D :rotf:

#24 ·
bmwhd said:
When is BMW going to admit they can't build a center stand worth a damn :D :rotf:
Right after they admit there's a slight problem with their final drives. :histerica

#25 ·
messenger13 said:
Yea...you DEFINITELY need a new centerstand. The GT is WAY easier than the LT. Not that the LT was all that difficult. But in comparison, the GT wins hands-down, when the centerstand is fuctioning properly.
Are you kidding? My GT is waay harder than my '00 LT, which was a piece of cake. Getting my GT off the centerstand is harder than getting it on the stand, and I actually use the method recommended in the manual to take it off the stand - standing on the side instead of straddling the bike.

Are you saying all I need is a new stand??? Dayam.

#26 ·
Here's our "drop" from last July.

Paved roads that turn into muddy roads with NO NOTICE suck.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.