EBC Brake Pads - WOW!!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:00 pm

Thumbs up EBC Brake Pads - WOW!!!!

My brake pads did not need to be replaced, but I was getting so much noise whenever I applied them that they had to go. After asking around, all signs pointed towards EBC, so I ordered them from Motorcycle Pro Shop. By the way, they were on sale, so both sets for the front (EBC FA294HH) and the set for the rear (EBC FA304HH) delivered was only $83.00

RESULTS: The noise is completely gone. Not only is it gone, but braking is so quiet now that all I can hear is the pump. A nice little by-product is something I didn't even know was originally a problem. When using the old brakes (BMW), and coming to a complete stop, the brakes would easily abruptly lock, which caused a very uneasy stop. With the EBCs, coming to a complete stop is very, very smooth. This allows a very controlled stop, which as we all know, slow speed, is where we are all most uncomfortable due to the high centered weight of the LT, especially if you are required to perform any kind of turn in the process.

CONCLUSION: This is the best money I have spent on the LT. When it comes to a motorcycle, two things are most important...tires and brakes. The EBC pads are very high quality pads. At $83 delivered and 30 minutes of your time, I highly recommend it. 1 to 10, a definate 10 for price, performance and quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 7:38 am

I've recently bought an 03 LT and it's developed a little brake noise but only at low speeds, is it generally the rear pads at fault or is it front too ?

P.S good to hear that you've cured yours.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 9:36 am

EBC pads

The brake noise is killing me. Might as well stick a broom handle up the silencer and bust out all the baffles.

I can not even sneak up on an HD rider anymore at a light

Anyone else done the EBC pads to fix the problem and is it permanente ?

Is there anything else like putting CRC anti squeal lube on the back of the pads before installing like on the cage, or should that not be done on the K1200LT ?

And are these part numbers direct replacement (EBC FA294HH) and the set for the rear (EBC FA304HH).

I thought I had seen somewhere you may need to cut away part of the pad to fit the caliper. Or am I thinking of another Kevlar brand ?

If the answers are yes I am ordering a set ASAP.

Thanks
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 9:49 am
Asphalt Surfer

The EBC's for the rear work well and this has been a good fix for many years. The EBC's are sintered brakes pads, the BMW pads on the rear are not. But the front BMW pads already are sintered brake pads so getting the EBC's for the front is not much of a change.
08 FJR1300A Black - Fury
(Sold )

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 9:51 am

I have about 3k on the EBC pads and there is no noise at all from either the front or the rear.

As far as I can see, the EBC pads are identical to the stock BMW pads in form and function, just no noise.

I seated the pads after installation by doing 5-6 agressive stops from 60 mph and have been very satisfied with the results.

HTH YMMV

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 9:52 am

Cool

* CRC anti squeal did not bring me rear brake quietness

* New BMW Pads under warranty did not bring me rear brake quietness

* New SBS Pads did bring me silence for 2 days only - back to normal squeal

* Deglazing the rotor at the dealer did not bring me rear brake quiet

** Therefore I give up....
If this is the only thing I ever have to complain about on my 05 LT I will consider myself lucky... :^)

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 830K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 9:56 am

Smile Rear Pad Noise

Seagull,

I have been told by others that the noise you are hearing is mainly caused by the rear pads. My entire LT would vibrate, so I could not tell if it was coming from the rear or from the front.

Rkirker,

As far as the part numbers go, it depends on the year of your LT. Go to Motorcycle Pro Shop and check out the part number for your LT.

I drove my LT to work this morning, and man do those new pads make a huge difference. Now that I have that noise problem taken care of, it is on to the next one.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:47 am

Odering new EBC pads

Alrighty then
Ordering new EBC pads
My part numbers should be the same as yours Dan-Peggy.
I also have an 02, But still will trust by Verify ya on the site before ordering.

Thanks all
BMWMOA #124306
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:01 am

I'm one of the few who have EBC pads on the rear and the noise remains. The only way I can sneak up on anyone is to use front brakes only. (yes, I know they are partially/fully/completely linked/integrated/intoxicated or whatever )The only time the rear brakes have been quiet is after service by the dealer. He does something to them (anti-squeal type compound). It lasts for 2 or 3 days, then returns.
2005 Honda Shadow 650 - starter bike
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:17 am

From Bikebandit.com - order date: : 7/25/2006

EBC Rear Sintered Double-H Pads (BMW K 1200 LT 2000-2003) $28.75
EBC Front Sintered Double-H Pads (BMW K 1200 LT 2000-2003) x2 $57.50
EBC Rear Rotor (BMW K 1200 LT 2000-2003) $124.12
(prices include AMA member discount)

Rear pads have arrived in goodly time and are in hand.
Front pads have been 'cross shipped' but not arrived yet, no ETA.
Rear disc is on 'backorder' with no ETA

What I read said if you put the HH pads on the rear, do the fronts as well due to the 'increased braking effect'. Could be marketing hype for all I know. But, since I'm also getting some squeel from the front, figured what the hell.
And the EBC rear rotor just looks good.

FWIW, I've also done the full CRC brake quiet treatment front and rear. AND used the rear EBC organics with and without the CRC brake quite. Still screamed like a Banshee.
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and Penguin farmer.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 1:57 pm

Screams Like a banshee

Alrighty then have already ordered the pads. 2 sets front HH 1 set Rear HH .
Will put them on with the CRC stuff and report back.

Have a feeling I am just going to have to knock out the baffles in the silencer and put the XM/radio up to 11. So at least i can not ear it.

Will update when on and riding with the new pads.
BMWMOA #124306
Blue & Pearl
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 2:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
I thought I had seen somewhere you may need to cut away part of the pad to fit the caliper. Or am I thinking of another Kevlar brand ?

Thanks
When Paul Sayegh first told everyone about the EBC pads to replace the OEM rears, they were fitted for a Ducati model scoot and had to have the ears sheared off, or beveled down, in order to fit in the BMW LT caliper. Since that early fit, EBC has manufactured the pads in the correct shape and design for the LT calipers and it is no longer necessary to cut the pads to fit.

Grif put my rear EBC pad on, way back in 2000/2001 (crw), and followed me down the road for a bit while I did as he directed (and as AStuber mentioned in his post in this thread): attain speed and aggressively apply the rear brake to a stop; wait a tad and repeat. Did this thru 5 or 6 applications and I've never heard a squeal since. Plus, the stopping force of the EBCs wuz pronouncedly (?) better than the OEMs. Ole Toad is on our third EBC rear pad and with 110K on the clock, we'll stay with 'em 'til we hear a squeal.

Dick
Boerne, TXican
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 2:43 pm

I have a 2006 LT with 7500 miles on it. It has the original pads and I have no brake noise or problems and no intention of changing out the stock pads in anticipation of squealing brakes. The one thing I do differently is "get on" the rear brakes from time to time and this seems to work for me. ( I got this idea from a previous thread).

If the stock pads are so bad, then why does BMW persist in putting them on the LT in the first place?

2006 K1200LT
2006 K1200S
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 2:46 pm

No saying they are bad

Not saying they are bad. I love the bike
Just driving me nuts and I will do the 60 MPH agressive stop with the new set evrey so often and see if that works after checking the rearview .
BMWMOA #124306
Blue & Pearl
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I'm one of the few who have EBC pads on the rear and the noise remains. The only way I can sneak up on anyone is to use front brakes only. (yes, I know they are partially/fully/completely linked/integrated/intoxicated or whatever )The only time the rear brakes have been quiet is after service by the dealer. He does something to them (anti-squeal type compound). It lasts for 2 or 3 days, then returns.
Howard,

Ill chime in too. My EBCs were so noisy (even after proper bed-in) that I took em out and put the stockers back in...

F
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 2:58 pm

[QUOTE=Dick] attain speed and aggressively apply the rear brake to a stop; wait a tad and repeat. QUOTE]

Proper bed-in (for most new pads) requires you to NOT come to a stop but come to a near stop 3-4 miles an hour, so that you dont leave the new residue of the pads to meld into the rotor. This has been done on all my performance cars with excellent results, I suspect that the EBC pads should be similar.

F
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 4:34 pm

Deglaze

You need to deglaze the rotor when putting on the new pads so that they will seat in correctly.

I got the 304HH sintered pads and deglazed my rotor, installed the pads and havent' had a squeal yet...that's about 6K miles........

John
01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Again, a warning. For the pre-'02 bikes, the front EBC pads are FA294HH, but these do NOT have the anti-rattle springs, and will rattle in the caliper when riding over rough surfaces without brake application. EBC is changing the part number to correct this, but these will not be in the system until they have depleted stock on the FA294s.

The front EBC pads are not any better than the stock BMW pads anyway. BMW already has double sintered HH type pads on front, but not the rear, so rear EBCs are an upgrade.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 7:36 pm

If you could, let me know where to find easy info on changing out these pads. I have an 02 LT and am glad to find out there is a fix for the squeel.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 7:58 pm

Lightbulb Froot Loops

I changed my rear brakes over to the EBC pads, seated them in, unglazed the rotor, did a magic dance and they still sounded like a school bus going down hill loaded with heavies bound for fat camp. Took a few pieces of cardboard from my cereal box (Loops) and put them between the piston and the pads and wammo, no more noise for about 3k miles now. If it rains really hard please repeat the above. I read it here a while back, and thought that the anti squeal would do the same thing but I was wrong. Froot Loops rule....
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
You need to deglaze the rotor when putting on the new pads so that they will seat in correctly.

I got the 304HH sintered pads and deglazed my rotor, installed the pads and havent' had a squeal yet...that's about 6K miles........

John
1. How does one do that? Is it the heavy application of rear brake?
2. Since I now have a few thousand miles on the rear EBCs, is it too late to de-glaze the rotor? (i.e., will it have the desired effect?)
2005 Honda Shadow 650 - starter bike
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 2:40 am
IBR# 366

All rear pads for the LT are the same shape, and so use the same part number.

The front pads are different for standard ABS ('99-'01) and Integral ABS ('02-'04, and likely up to '06 as well). Note that Euro bikes tend to be one model year ahead.

Putting rear the on an early LT makes a huge difference in stopping power and reduces the squeal in most cases. Putting them on the rear of an Integral LT helps with the squeal, but the rear brakes work so much better that the braking improvement is minimal.

You still need to use the rear brakes regularly, and occasionally heavily, to minimize the noise. The cereal box also helps some, but tends to fall apart quickly if it gets hot or wet.
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 59K miles and gone.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 32,690 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles & now rebuilt!
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 6:00 am

I've had the SBS ceramic rear pads for the last 3000 miles.

Not a squeek ....not even one

02 LT Toscana
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 12:01 pm

Post Instructions for replacing brake pads on a 2002 BMT K1200LT

For those of you who still have the noise on the rear pads after replacing the pads, my only suggestion would be that it might be the rotor. I know that EBC also sells rotors, so this might be something you want to consider.

I can only speak from personal experience. I could not begin to diagnose another person's problem with their brakes without seeing and experiencing it first hand.

jkhaus1:
In regards to your question about changing the pads. This is very simple. Place your LT on the center stand and follow the instructions below.

FOR EACH FRONT PAD:
1. Remove the two screws that hold on the dust cover (You will need your set of allen wrenches for this)

2. Remove the retaining clip that holds the pin in place for the pads (Small needle nose pliers works fine for this)

3. Remove the pin by sliding it out (You may need to wiggle the pads to get the pin out)

4. Remove each pad by pulling them up (I recommend also pushing them back and forth against the backwall as you you lift up, which will help push the pins that actuate the pads back into the caliper. This will help when you slide the new pads in, as they will probably be thicker than the old ones, and the pins will block the insertion if you do not do this)

5. Slide the new pads into the caliper (there is an old joke about "green side up". I think you know where I am going with that, but if you don't, just remember that you want the pads against the rotor)

6. Slide the pin back into position

7. Insert the retaining clip

8. Use the two screws to attach the dust cover

FOR THE REAR PAD:

1. Remove the two retaining clips that holds the two pins in place for the pads (I find it easiest to rotate the pin with pliers until the top of the retaining clip is pointed down and on the inside. Once you can see the head of the clip, then you can use small needle nose pliers to remove the clips)

2. Remove the two pins by pulling them out with pliers (If you rotate the pins a little back and forth as you are doing this, the pins should come out with little effort)

3. Remove the Dust Cover

4. Remove each pad by pulling them out (I recommend also pushing them back and forth against the backwall as you pull them out, which will help push the pins that actuate the pads back into the caliper. This will help when you slide the new pads in, as they will probably be thicker than the old ones, and the pins will block the insertion if you do not do this)

5. Slide the new pads into the caliper (Remember that you want the pads against the rotor)

6. Place the Dust Cover back into place and slide each pin back into position (You may need to do a little aligning of the holes on the pads)

7. Insert the two retaining clips (Using pliers, rotate each pin until the hole for the clip is facing downward and on the inside. Use very small needle nose pliers to hold the clips as you fit it back into position)

That is it. Long instructions for such a simple job, but that is because I was as detailed as possible. Really, it is very, very easy.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 12:19 pm

Bob Freeman

How does one go about de-glazing the rear rotor?
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 3:39 pm

Talking

Just had my rear brake pads replaced by my dealer with stock pads and haven't noticed any noise at since then..Go figure?
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 9:02 pm

EBC Pads

I ordered the FA294HH pads for the front and the FA304HH pads for the rear but the front pads are different than the ones on my LT. The front pads on the front of my bike have a BMW # 512HH. Can anyone tell me wich EBC pads I need?
Thank's in advance for any help!
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 7:19 am

Re: EBC Brake Pads - WOW!!!!

I just installed the EBC FA 294HH on the front of my 2002 LT. Wow what a difference in sound and stopping . Now Im searching for the rear pads to eliminate the noise there. THanks for the tips...............
Highly recommend this change to anyone that is having brake noise , grind, grab issues with stock brakes on LT
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 5:05 am

FWIW - according to the 2009 EBC catalog:

K 1200 LT (Integral ABS & STD ABS Models) 97-10/00 front: FA407 or FA407HH (takes two) rear: FA304
K 1200 LT (Evo-Integral ABS) 11/00-09 front: FA294HH (takes two) rear: FA304
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 6:15 am

Dear friends,

I had my front and rear brake pads of 07LT replaced by professionals. I choose EBC HH pads as many of you recommended. The result is good. The squeal sound of original pads is gone in the first place, but after one week's travel, I can hear a strange, loud SHHHH sound when the front brake is applied. Any advise is welcomed. Thank you.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 7:08 am

Are you getting any fading from the brakes or any other issue?
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 8:47 am

I have a good riding buddy from the east cost that loves ICE Cream.. His working brake noise reducer starts with "eat Ice cream"... But makes sure this is from a boxed container !
Now remove the rear pads, use the pad as a pattern for the side of the box and cut a similar pattern from the box side for each pad. Reinstall the pads and place the box side between the pad and the caliper. Ride and enjoy !!! The box for Ice Cream is waxed and is much more impervious to water and early destruction.. so it remains useful even if it gets wet.
'03 Aprilia Capo
'00 1500 Intruder - gone but not forgotten
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 10:41 am

My EBC's also make the shhhh sound. They have made this noise since they were installed 18000 miles ago and I love it. I don't miss the squeal one little bit!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL3C
Dear friends,

I had my front and rear brake pads of 07LT replaced by professionals. I choose EBC HH pads as many of you recommended. The result is good. The squeal sound of original pads is gone in the first place, but after one week's travel, I can hear a strange, loud SHHHH sound when the front brake is applied. Any advise is welcomed. Thank you.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui