BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Handle bar vibration.

5K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  DavidMR 
#1 ·
I have 06 1200Rt with about 3500 miles. I noticed on my ride last night that there is more vibration felt on my right handle bar then my left. I don’t believe I have ever felt vibration like this before on the right side of the handle bar. How did I check for vibration?
I was riding on the freeway at about 70 mph in 6th gear, had the cruise control on and felt for the vibration by gently placing my right finger tips on the right handle bar while my left hand was holding securely to the left handle bar.
I did the same for the left side. Left finger tip gently placed on top of the left handle bar. By doing so I felt difference between the left and right side handle bar. The vibration on the right side is at a point of being uncomfortable.
Anyone experienced the same issue? Any insight as to what the problem is?

#2 ·
I rode an 1150 for a couple of years (30,000 miles) before trading for an LT. Once of the things about the RT; it's very sensitive to the throttle body synchronization. When the TBs get slightly out of synch it will run a little rough, sometimes more at idle, sometimes more vibration at highway speed. You'll want to pick up a Twin-Max to synch those TBs. The boxer engine in my mind has a pleasant vibration that smoothes the faster you ride. Your engine is still new and will continue to smooth out, but keep an eye on the TB synch, this will help very much.

#4 ·
handle bar vibration

My bike now has almost 6000 miles and it still experience the same amount of vibration. I had the TB sync checked at the dealership after I wrote my first thread. The dealership mechanic claimed the TB sync was within spec. I am planning to take in my bike for it 6000mile service end of the month. I am hoping this will take care of the problem.

#5 ·
EricSuz said:
Since this thread is quite old and I experienced exactly the same thing with my 06 RT that I just purchased, do you have an update? Did it go away with more miles? Is there any hope? Added bar weights?????

Bar end weights will lower the resonant frequency of the bars and will certainly help. Another cure would be to take a '70s era Harley out for an hours ride. When you get back on the RT you will say, "vibration, I don't feel any vibration!"

#9 ·
Or you can take a newer Harley out and ride it and while you are out you'll say "Vibration, what vibration?"
I got off of an 02 Classic and anything above parking lot speed it has no vibration in the handlebars. Nada Zip Zero. The RT numbed my hands in less than 40 miles.(Just under 6k and it's still there)
The BMW boxer IS that vibration. Sorry but get used to it and throw money at it. It is not going away. The RT has a great deal going for it and you will like it after you learn what to do from the ones on this site that have ridden the miles and made the fixes.
Good luck and ride till your numb. :)

#10 ·
Vibration

Had the same experience and couldn't figure out why on an 05 RT. Had valves synced and carbs balanced. Still there. Put heavier bar end weights on and that helped, but not great. Mileage at this point was 900 as I bought it used. Hit 8100 last week and for the most part, it just disappeared. Still a feeling of the engine but equally on both bars. In the past, the right one was pathetic. I guess what they say is true. Right it like you stole it and the more miles, the smoother it should be.

#12 ·
What we need around here is a sticky thread on certain issues.

For what its worth this is what I believe (you may believe different things). I will try to keep it short.

1. Opposed twin engines vibrate more then others- no way around it.
2. BMW engines will vibrate more until they are broken in.
3. Breaking in may take up to 20,000 miles especially if the rider is babying the bike.
4. It will vibrate more under load (uphill, heavy acceleration etc).
5. It will vibrate more if the throttle bodies are not synched.

The Cure(s)
1. Synch the throttle bodies yourself.
2. Ride the pi** out of it for a few miles. Like I'm talking redline...
3. Relax the grip. Its called Soft Hands... learn to ride.

#13 ·
hopz said:
What we need around here is a sticky thread on certain issues.

For what its worth this is what I believe (you may believe different things). I will try to keep it short.

1. Opposed twin engines vibrate more then others- no way around it.
2. BMW engines will vibrate more until they are broken in.
3. Breaking in may take up to 20,000 miles especially if the rider is babying the bike.
4. It will vibrate more under load (uphill, heavy acceleration etc).
5. It will vibrate more if the throttle bodies are not synched.

The Cure(s)
1. Synch the throttle bodies yourself.
2. Ride the pi** out of it for a few miles. Like I'm talking redline...
3. Relax the grip. Its called Soft Hands... learn to ride.
Good thoughts there...

I'm going to add a few cures..

1. foam grip overlays..
2. HEAVY bar end weights

Just added the above to my newly purchased '07RT.
It helps quite a bit.
Have not yet checked the t-b sync. Got the Twinmax though.
9,500 miles...

My cousin summed it up quite well years ago. After hearing my concerns about grip vibration, he commented on my departed 1150RT. I started it up in the garage and let him twist the throttle a few times. He doesn't ride, never did. Said it felt as if he were "grabbin' a bag of bees".
Not really my cup of tea either. Otherwise, the bike's nearly perfect for me.

DMilan
'07 RT

#17 ·
I just added Grip Puppies to my '08 RT and they seem to absorb a lot of the vibration. I ordered them online at a cost of $9 plus shipping (USPS). They slip on over the top of the existing grips and took about 10 minutes to install (no tools necessary). Best mod todate on my RT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.