BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Differences between K1200LT and K1600GTL

9K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  capttwb136 
#1 ·
I just sold my 06' K1200LT. I'm considering a new 2013 GTL. I loved my LT, EXCEPT the fact it was so top heavy. I live on a dirt (sandy) lane and the LT was a handful in the sand pulling into my gravel driveway. Never dropped her though, was always real cautious in the sand and gravel. I have not yet ridden a GTL because if I did I'd buy one before I got the LT sold. Anyway my question to GTL owners that were former LT owners, is the new GTL's center of gravity noticeably lower compared to the LT? I see it's a little lighter, but is it top heavy like the LT? Such as the difference between a 1500 GoldWing and the 1800, the 1500 was top heavy, but the 1800 had a much lower center of gravity. Riding the 1800 felt like riding a 650 Bonneville compared to the 1500. Is the difference between the LT and the GTL as big as it is between the two GoldWings? Thanks a lot for any insight. :confused:

#2 ·
I had a 2005 LT and I really liked the bike, but I found it very top heavy. I now have a GTL and I find the center of gravity much better. I find the GTL much easier to handle with the weight not being an issue. I miss reverse and the center stand, but I would never go back because of the weight. I do find the GTL easier to handle on gravel.

#3 ·
MrB said:
I had a 2005 LT and I really liked the bike, but I found it very top heavy. I now have a GTL and I find the center of gravity much better. I find the GTL much easier to handle with the weight not being an issue. I miss reverse and the center stand, but I would never go back because of the weight. I do find the GTL easier to handle on gravel.
The same as above except that i had no use for the powered center stand. I liked the reverse on the K1200LT but just watch a little better, where I park and have not really missed it.

I would pucker before a U-Turn on the LT and don't think twice about doing the same on the GTL. The K1600 is very different from the LT and I don't feel that it is a replacement. They are not the same. Everything I didn't like about the LT was taken out and everything I wanted was added. It was like the K1600 engineers read my mind.

#5 ·
I loved my LT, but I could never go back after having the GTL for 10 months and 15K. There is no comparison in terms of the performance and the smoothness of the experience. For me, this translates into longer days with more mileage and less fatigue. My wife says the same thing when we're 2-up.

You'll get a bit more wind on the GTL than on the LT. That's the only item on the checklist where the LT gets the nod in our book. But the overall experience is a big win for the GTL.

I find the GTL much easier to handle at low speeds than the LT.

The bike is easy to get on the center stand. It's a lot easier to shuffle out of parking spots, so with just a little care you won't miss the reverse. I'm glad they saved the weight.

#6 ·
Yeah, what they all said.......I have had a 2000 LT since 2000 and really like the way it rides down the highway. But slow speed stuff was a real bear. The GTL is like a totally different bike. MUCH easier to handle. After riding the GTL for several thousand miles I took the LT out for a spin and can't believe the difference.
Now the LT is in the process of becoming a trike so my wife can ride it. :rolleyes:

#7 ·
Thank you everyone for your help. This makes me really want to go test ride one. You know what will happen then. Wish they weren't so darn expensive...

#9 ·
Now we know how you manage to stay so slim despite those huge Sunday breakfasts.

#11 ·
Yes, what everyone is saying is true about the GTL over the LT, but the thing I absolutely like most about the GTL is this: you can park it on the side stand and it won't fog mosquitos when you fire it up! :)

#12 ·
MrB said:
Agreed - same experience.

#13 ·
Well... it took awhile but I finally got my hands on a K1600GTL. I've been riding a Yamaha Star Warrior that I turned into a bagger since I sold the LT. Nice bike, but the wife didn't like it. Too loud she said. I really like the GTL, it's everything they said about them. Best handling tourer I've ever ridden. The only thing I find slightly disagreeable is the low seat. Are there any mods that will raise the seat? Thanks.

#14 ·
There are many after market seat options. Visit www.k1600forum.com for more information than you ever knew you needed on the K16.

#15 ·
Thanks Brian.:wave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.