BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Battery question

6K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  jzeiler 
#1 ·
I have a new bmw gel battery and the bmw charger. The bike has been sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks. A cold wisconsin garage I went out to start it up today and a couple of weak cranks and dead. What the hell happened. It has been on the charger all year. I looked at the charger and the light was blinking and it should have been steady. Do these chargers not work in cold weather? Now I guess I will have to take out the battery and bring it inside to charge. Is there anything I should know before removing the battery? Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
I have a volt meter but have to get a battery for that too. How ironic. Yes I am charging through the accessory jack. I didn't know it had a fuse though.

#18 ·
The accessory jack does not have a direct connection to the battery. You can't just hook it to a charger and expect it to charge the battery.

The BMW battery charger may work differently than Battery Tender or other such small "smart" chargers. When I use one of those non BMW chargers,

1. I turn the bike's ignition on...not the engine just the key or the button if you have keyless.

2. I plug the charger into the bike.

3. I plug the charger into the wall.

4. I turn the bike off.

Canbus tells the outlet to stay on until the battery is fully charged, then it shuts off the bike's outlet. So...you can't maintain the battery with this outlet...at least with normal smart chargers. This was described in the riders manual of my 2005 RT...and every RT since.:alien:

It is a good system if you can just charge the battery once a month or so in the winter. That's all it takes.

Now...if the battery is damaged, GET A NEW ONE. You don't need the BMW brand. Just get a normal battery or a glassmat one...and be confident of your bike. There is nothing worse for expensive electrical components than low voltage caused by a weak battery. New battery is a cheap fix.

I'm trusting that your terminals are all secure and there's no corrosion on them.

:alien:

#4 ·
Don't know about the BMW charger, but the Battery Tenders (both reg. & junior) have an issue with the in-line connector for the different ends. They get loose & need to be tightened to make contact. If they lose contact after being connected they will at times give false indications.

The BMW adaptor for the accessory port will also develop a loose wire now & then. Unscrew it & check the connections inside.

#5 ·
Ok, checked out the charger with a voltmeter everything is ok on that end. I checked the battery voltage it registered at 12.42. I put the charger back on this time with the alligator clips directly on the posts and the steady charge light came on. Within about 10 minutes the light went to green for stowage on the charger. How many volts does the battery have to have to start the bike?? I am thinking a fuse blew on the accessory port, or perhaps I didn't connect something right when I had the bike apart last month when I was repairing my broken shift linkage. It was in a cold garage at the time and I prolly missed something. I will have to break out the manual and try to find where the fuse for that dang thing is..Thanks guys for any help.

#6 ·
Looking to the rear of the bike it's the fuse compartment to the left
of the seat latch, third one down 15 amp.

If the battery was discharged that deep it would probably be best to leave the charger on for 24 hours before starting. Unless you had to ride it, Which
isn't the case in Ohio either.

That should do it for ya, Dont ask me how I know!!!

#7 ·
Jinks said:
Don't know about the BMW charger, but the Battery Tenders (both reg. & junior) have an issue with the in-line connector for the different ends. They get loose & need to be tightened to make contact. If they lose contact after being connected they will at times give false indications.
I had that same problem... so I soldered them... Lock-Tight I think would also work.

#8 ·
Larry I was thinking I should leave it on overnight,just in case. Doesn't look good for a ride here either.Getting 5 to 6 inches of the fluffy stuff as we speak. I was going to ride it today before the snow started to fly,taking it to a nice heated garage for the winter. Guess I'll just have to wait until some of the stuff melts. Thanks a bunch for your help I appreciate it.

#11 ·
I have a bmw gel battery charge, a battery tender. I had a problem with the hot and ground lead for the bmw acc. connector. It finally got to the point where it wouldn't work at all. For 14.00 + shipping I ordered another one from Sierra BMW in NV. Just got it yesterday. No more blinking red light. You may just want to get yours replaced as well.

Good luck.

#12 ·
Rob,
What BMW charger do you have? I have a blue one #72607679040 which I bought when I had my CLC and the newer grey #71607688865 that I got when I purchased my 1200 GS. I've been using the blue charger for the past few weeks and have had no problems, even when playing the radio in the garage the charger would go from maintainance to charge in a few minutes. A few days ago I started using the grey charger just to see how it would work it seemed fine at first but when I check the following day I had a fault code in the charger. I unplugged the charger and repluged it in and it was fine. Yesterday when I was cleaning the bike and playing the radio it never went into the charge mode even after 30 min.........put the blue charger on went to charge right away. It seem if the older style works better with the LT, at least for me.

#13 ·
Lead to Accessory socket

robowis said:
Ok, checked out the charger with a voltmeter everything is ok on that end. I checked the battery voltage it registered at 12.42. I put the charger back on this time with the alligator clips directly on the posts and the steady charge light came on. Within about 10 minutes the light went to green for stowage on the charger. How many volts does the battery have to have to start the bike?? I am thinking a fuse blew on the accessory port, or perhaps I didn't connect something right when I had the bike apart last month when I was repairing my broken shift linkage. It was in a cold garage at the time and I prolly missed something. I will have to break out the manual and try to find where the fuse for that dang thing is..Thanks guys for any help.

Just a thought, if you had the tupperware off, did you remember to plug the lead for the accessory socket back in?

#14 ·
I noticed that the accessory port on the front of the trunk on my 02 is connected only when the ignition is on or in the 'radio' position. The one over the left foot is hot always.

HTH

#16 ·
Rob,

When you say you were charging through the accessory port, which one were you using? It is my understanding that only the one in front of your left foot is hot all the time for that purpose....Just in case...HTH

Ron

#17 ·
Ok just went out to the garage and checked the charger. All it says on the front is ADVANCED BATTERY CHARGING SYSTEM. and under that it says programmed for the BMW gel battery. It is a black metal unit. Since I replaced the accessory plug with the alligator clips and hooked them up directly to the battery the green stowage light stays on, meaning it is fully charged. Thinking back when I had the tupperware off I could swear that I did re-connect the lead but can't be 100 % sure. Maybe the lead for the charger is bad. If I stick a voltmeter in the accessory jack will I get a reading from there?? I have been charging through the jack by the left foot. I forgot about the one in the back by the trunk. Once the damn snow melts on my street I can ride it to my warm storage area and look at it more closely.Thanks to all who responded you are the greatest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.