Nova Scotia, Canada - Blue Ridge Parkway - BMW Luxury Touring Community

Old Jan 8th, 2012, 9:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Nova Scotia, Canada - Blue Ridge Parkway

Hi,
I am planning to head down to the Blue Ridge Parkway area in early July and wondering about routes to get there from Nova Scotia?

I am quite familiar with the New England states but not so sure about NY, Pennsylvania, Maryland, W.V, V, N.C, area. I like hills and turns and ride an 06' LT.

I was thinking I would head toward Albany, NY, and work my way south from there but not sure about routes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 9th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Re: Nova Scotia, Canada - Blue Ridge Parkway

I don't know how familiar you are with NY City but it is best to avoid it. How are you getting to Albany? will you be coming across New England on I-90? If so continue on to I-81 or use I-90 to I-88 to cross to I-81 and then head south to Virginia.

If you have more time I can suggest some other routes but I-90 is bound to be the most sane if you not into traffic.....
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 9:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Jack,
Thank you for your response. I have ridden across #2 (east-west) across Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and #100 south (Vermont). I was in Grafton, WV, a couple of years ago and it gave me a taste of the great riding in the area. It was on a cross-country ride.
From Scranton, Pennsylvania, I headed towards Albany, NY. From there, I took the #9 & #4 over to the coast and North on I-95 (I was in a hurry to get back once I hit Portland)
I am looking for some roads down through Pennsylvania, W Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, as I head down the Blue Ridge Parkway.
I am also looking for a new route from Nova Scotia-US boarder heading south. I want to stay off interstates as they are boring. I found this link on the site which show some great roads in Pennsylvania. http://www.pa-mag.com/motorcycle-touring/
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelly
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Well, if your coming down from Vermont 100 I would suggest going west a little bit more and take NY 22 south from as far north as possible. Once you get just south of the Albany area you should look to go west. If you need to make time in Upstate NY I-87 north of Albany is really pretty good country. Turns real fast into typical interstate just north of I-90.

Do you have a lot of time? I have done the BRP many times and it probably is my favorite route on the east coast. Will you start at SkyLine Drive in Front Royal Virginia or pick up the BRP after the National Park?
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 3:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I will be on the road for about 2 1/2-3 weeks. I don't have a plan on where to start the BPR and an open to suggestions. I will head over to the smokey mountaings, TN as well.
The last time, on my way west, when I came south on #100, VT, I crossed over the pass, west #17, and took 22 south as far as possible. It was a geat ride. If there is another nice route for heading south from Calais, Maine, or Holton, Maine, let me know. I don't need to go through Albany. It just seems like a crossing point or point of reference.
Any suggestions for the BPR and area would be great appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelly
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Your coming from northern Maine and probably US 2 would be much better than coming anywhere through Massachusetts or Connecticut in terms of traffic and probability scenery seeing you do not want to take an interstate highway in New England.

When I head south I usually swing out around New York City and Philadelphia as far as my travel time permits. Since I live only 70 miles from Times Square there is usually lots of traffic, however I am probably more accustomed to it than you might be. With that in mind and your 3 weeks of time I will suggest two different routes south.

Both would be initially west on US 2 and eventually South on NY 22.

The first option would be to stay on NY 22 till just south of I-90 in NY and then go west to pick up the Taconic Parkway and head south to either I-84 west and cross the Hudson River at Newburg-Beacon or continue on the Taconic towards Peekskill and take the Bear Mountain Bridge west just north of the West Point Military Academy and then take US - 6 to join I-84 west towards Milford Pennsylvania . Both variations will eventually need to get you to PA on I-84 and you can take US-209 south through the Delaware Water Gap south and eventually US - 209 will cross I-81 and that will take you south out of Pennsylvania.

Second option will be to take NY-22 south till you get to NY-149 in Fort Anne NY and head west towards Lake George. In the area of Lake George take NY-28 west across Adirondack Park to NY-3 west towards Watertown NY eventually meeting I-81 and then head south. My rational is I-81 is not really a lot of traffic and the towns it goes through are not 'really large'. Most are 20 miles of traffic at the most. This route is one that you may not have chosen but Adirondack Park is different and a good ride through around all the lakes. Once you hit I-81 a day later you will be in Virginia.

Once you are south of Pennsylvania you are relatively close to your target area. I would suggest that you take Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park in addition to BRP. That should give you over 500 miles of outstanding riding, arguably the best scenery and surely the longest twisty in the eastern USA. You will need three or four days at a minimum to cover Skyline Drive and BRP in early July when US schools are on summer vacation.

You can ride it both ways and it will appear to be different roads. I have only taken the road once in the peak summer months and it is very busy. Better to go June or second week in September. Then you have the road to yourself.

I'll stop here and let you digest this. You can go further west in Pennsylvania near Gettysburg but all the time off the interstate cuts from your riding from Virginia south. I'll have some more suggestions for you but the first week will determine how much you can ride at the other end of the BRP in the Carolinas and Tennessee.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 9:03 pm

+1 Lots of good suggestions in the last post

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)
http://rbrtmotorides.com

Old Jan 12th, 2012, 9:10 pm

Thanks also, Jack. I will be headed that route north to Nova Scotia sometime this year. Maybe Kelly can help with routes north to Cavity trail.

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 7:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Jack,
Thanks for your information. Lots of information to digest here! I will review your nots and look over the map to see the route you have suggested.
Thanks,
Kelly
Here is some information for Greg.

I will start from Bangor, Maine:
1a to Ellsworth
1 to Calais, Maine - St Stephen, New Buunswick, Canada boarder
1 to St Croix Parish
127 South and do full loop through St. Andrew’s and back to 1
Stay on 1 to 114 east through Fundy National Park (Take 915 loop on right for more coastal driving)
Back on 114 and on to Moncton, NB
Take 15 towards Shediac and 16 towards Prince Edward Island by the bridge
Follow 1 to Woods Island Ferry back to Pictou, NS.
From Pictou, 106-104east and follow to Port Hastings (Canso Causeway)
Take 19 north through Inverness and all around the Cabot Trail.
You will return to 105, Trans Canada Highway (TCH)
This is the scenic route but there are others. Let me know if you have any questions.
Kelly
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 5:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktompkins
Hi Jack,
Thanks for your information. Lots of information to digest here! I will review your nots and look over the map to see the route you have suggested.
Thanks,
Kelly
Here is some information for Greg.

I will start from Bangor, Maine:
1a to Ellsworth
1 to Calais, Maine - St Stephen, New Buunswick, Canada boarder
1 to St Croix Parish
127 South and do full loop through St. Andrew’s and back to 1
Stay on 1 to 114 east through Fundy National Park (Take 915 loop on right for more coastal driving)
Back on 114 and on to Moncton, NB
Take 15 towards Shediac and 16 towards Prince Edward Island by the bridge
Follow 1 to Woods Island Ferry back to Pictou, NS.
From Pictou, 106-104east and follow to Port Hastings (Canso Causeway)
Take 19 north through Inverness and all around the Cabot Trail.
You will return to 105, Trans Canada Highway (TCH)
This is the scenic route but there are others. Let me know if you have any questions.
Kelly

I was talking to someone in Nova Scotia and he said the high-sped Cat was back in operation, is that correct?.............from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth

I woud not waste my time on Skyline Drive, it's too slow, boring and it costs to drive on it! Do the Blue Ridge Parkway.
North Georgia
2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-My Hometown

Old Jan 19th, 2012, 8:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I just googled the Bar Harbour Ferry and it said "no longer in service".
Old May 26th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Kelly,

Thanks for the Route. I will be heading up the Coast from Louisiana the later part of July this year to tour Nova Scotia. I really enjoy the senic routes!
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 4:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Jack,
I have been looking at your routes. My time has been cut to 2 weeks. Your route down to the Skyline Drive from the New England states seems to be great. You say you have some suggestions after that? Do I need to buy park passes ahead of time or should I buy them along the way? I will be staying in motels, B&B's etc. Don't want really expensive...just a bed off the ground! Any routes you can suggest would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelly
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 6:41 pm

Kelly,

Here are two links you may find helpful.

www.blueridgeonline.com/MilePost

www.blueridgemotorcycling.com

Jim
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 10:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktompkins
Hi Jack,
I have been looking at your routes. My time has been cut to 2 weeks. Your route down to the Skyline Drive from the New England states seems to be great. You say you have some suggestions after that? Do I need to buy park passes ahead of time or should I buy them along the way? I will be staying in motels, B&B's etc. Don't want really expensive...just a bed off the ground! Any routes you can suggest would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelly
Where do you want routes? East or west of Skyline/BPR or south? South is where I would suggest especially if you go to the end of the parkway.

In July you will need to find accommodations before 6PM or you will have trouble. Plan your ride to be near populated areas or try to make reservations. I would plan to start riding no later than 7AM so you can make the most of your day.

You can buy a pass for Skyline drive the day of your ride. No pass is needed for BRP. If you get to any other National Park you can then decide then also. Weather may be an issue so you can keep flexible. If you are going in early July expect to be HOT everywhere except on Skyline and BRP. It is usually 10 to 20 degrees F cooler there and that means lots of people and slow but still a great ride. However there can be early fogged in conditions before midmorning.. If it is fogged in, expect zero visibility.

Once you ride it you will want to return off season.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 12:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Jack,
I am getting my bike serviced in Moncton, New Brunswick on Monday June 25th and then plan to head down todwards the Parkway on the routes you suggested (I have travelled route #2 across the New England states many times but understand ti would be better than heading straight south). I have to be home around July 9th. I plan to head to the end of the parkway and into the Smoky Mountain area. I will leave the Northern states for another trip.
I don't like to make reservations for places to stay as it puts limitatoins on your ride for that day but I will take your advise of not waiting too late in the evening.Being from Newfoundland, I know the e
I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions. This is such a wonderful site!
Thanks,
Kelly
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:12 pm

If you are going to the end of the BPR, I would suggest that you, at the very least, go over Great Smokey Mountain NP, It would be very aggressive for July but once you are over you are easily in range for US 129, The Dragon, via the western route around the perimeter of Great Smokey Mountain NP. Just stay on local roads were possible. It seems like if you look at the miles it should be an easy run, but even with no traffic, maintaining 35 MPH over the long haul on the BRP is aggressive and lawful. Park Rangers all have radar and the fines are very stiff so traffic almost always complies.

If you are forced to bypass Shenandoah NP because of weather or because of the time of day, you can take US 340 just west of the park. It will put you on or off the BRP just after or before the NP. I do that sometimes so I can start fresh in the morning on the parkway. The NP is nice but the BPR is awesome because of the very limited access. Off season it is not unusual to ride for an hour and not see anyone in either direction.

If there is no traffic, like when I go off season, it will take two days to ride to the end. Especially if you enjoy the ride. There are places to eat or snack on the BPR but, I would suggest that you try to time your ride to be in, or at least near a major city at late afternoon. You can always go back up to the parkway after you have a place to stay. It will be different going back 20 miles just to ride and hour before dusk and most cities are 5 miles or so off the parkway.

From experience, I know that there are plenty of clubs (car, motorcycle and biking) that have rallies that time of the year. It would be good idea to look at the calendar of local events for each big city, or tourist area to see if you might have a problem with places to stay. Once you commit to an exit it will take you a minimum of an hour to determine you might not get a reasonable room there. That could be disastrous to your schedule. In times that I have had trouble, I try to come off the parkway and head for an interstate route. I-81 is a major north south run and very few exits do not have any motels. If you will be using a GPS it will be invaluable if you get into that situation.

If you are forced to ride back on a major road other than the BPR, like I-81, use US 11 and go to I-81 when you get close to the cities. US 11 is good road and very nice scenery until you get to 20 miles from and and past a major city. US 11 cuts back and forth over I-81 all the way north. That time of the year I-81, during the day will be very hot, almost every day. Very easy to find shade and stops on US 11.

Ride safe and have a great time!
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 7:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sadly I was unable to take my trip along the BPR last year because of other commitments. The good news is that I get to do it this year! I will be leaving late June and am very excited. All your help from last year will come in handy. Plus, I am riding a new 2011 R1200RT!
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 8:49 pm

Personally I find the BRP boring. While the road is nice the speeds are slow and you are riding in the tree line. So the views don't come except for some sparse look puts.

If you can fit it in I would suggest taking 7 out of Morgantown, WV to 27 south. This is the Cheat River ride. The road is great. Solid 270s in places and plenty of smooth twister and views.

It is west of your target run but the roads I that area make it worth it. You can still cut east at the bottom of 27 and get over to the BRP if you are set on doing that run.
'78 Honda CB 750K
'74 Honda 350

A hundred miles is a good start for an afternoon's ride.
If you were not planning on riding it, why did you buy it?

Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 7:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thank you for your suggestion. I see 7 out of Morgontown but can't see 27 south? I plan to visit a friend in Grafton, WV so this sounds perfect. The BRP is only a target direction. I may circle up through Kentucky on the way back as I hear that's great as well.
Any suggestions on and off the BRP are greatly appreciated. I am riding solo and no hard fast route.
I visited Te top of WV a few years ago and have to come back!