k 1200 lt radio problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

Old Sep 29th, 2011, 6:33 pm

k 1200 lt radio problem

Hi everyone this my first of many post I hope. I ahve bought my first BMW last week and now have insurance and liscense. I was wondering how to search through the older post to get answers that are not on the FAQ section

My radio will only play loude for about 5 seconda then goes to very low volume on the front speakers only. I read the post on the radio and tried the un hook the battery trick. that did not fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 29th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Re: k 1200 lt radio problem

Need more details...

Year and if you have a BMW communications systems for starters..

What is displayed on the radio? If you have a CD or Cassette player does it give same symptom?
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 6:44 pm

i is a 2003 k 1200lt. it has a single cd player in the stingray opening and a 6 disk changer in the right pannier. the radio buttons on the top of te tank all work as they are suppossed to. I took off all the tupperware and the stingray and opened up the top controls and checked for corrosion and found a little around some of the termicals on the back of the circuit coard , but no corrision. and all the buttons with the little led light s are still tightly affixed to the curcuit board. I think there is aproblem with the amplifier just do not know where to look for it yet.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 6:54 pm

I do not have acommunications system on the bike . The radio display shows the MHZ number of the radio station that is playing . nIf i push the cd button for the 6 disk changer it still plays only lo0w volume out of the front speakers. If I turn the radio offand back on it plays loud and ot of all speakers for about 5 seconds the goes to very low volum and plays out of the front speakers only. If I push the mute button it goes even lower and says mute onthe display.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 7:16 pm

When you go through the audio adjustments does the balance controls, front and back and speed volume indicate normal levels?

Does the radio play load at first 5 seconds even though you have the volume set to a minimal level?
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 7:25 pm

The speed volume is set to 4 and when i try to adjust it it works. the fader front to back seem to work. the volume plays low for te first 5 seconds if the volume is set low. the volume buttons works for the first 5 seconds. I have worked on this thing for 5 hours. I have triedun hoking and re hooking all the conections un hooking and re hooking the battery multiple times. Is there an amplifer outside of the radio or cd player under the seat or something.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 7:40 pm

No everything is in the stingray.

If you have reseated the back connections and the volume control appears to be working you in fact might have a radio problem. If the volume is sudden to soft it might indicate an electronic problem. If it fades it might also be the down volume switch on the left grip... have you tried removing that from the radio? Probably has a some sort of connection or wire disconnect on the grip.

Under the pillion seat there are quick disconnects for the top case so you can disconnect the pillion switches and speakers. Maybe that might be worth trying to see if that works... also..

Usually poor connections in the rear of the radio result in static out of the speakers.

You should be able to find a pinout from the radio in the archives.

There are posts where guy's here have had radio problems and took out the OEM and installed a Jensen (sp?) marine radio. Quite cost effective and you get an AUX port. There were posts on places that will fix the OEM radio. You might search for those.

If you want to search old archives on the forum page find BMWLT.net archives.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Thanks Jack
I will probably just buy some bluetooth head sets to go in the helmets. The bike I bought came witha Garmin Zumo gps with built in xm radio. The man I bought it from would not sell the headsets that he had been using. I thought it would be something simple since it appears to work great for 5 seconds that goes way down in volume like aamplifier went out.

Airplne out Gotta go to bed.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 7:54 pm

OK, that will be tricky depending on the Zumo you have.. Nothing is really easy..
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 8:19 pm

I have a similar problem with an 03 I recently purchased. It goes from playing through right front and rear speakers for about 5 or 10 seconds, to just right front speaker. E-mailed the Becker company which produces the radio and I was told the main board needed to be replaced. Cost is $400.
2008 R1200RT.. Sold
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 7:02 pm

Thanks beemer 2 and Jackd I decided to get a Jensen Marine radio. The one with the am/fm/ amp built in to a seperate box that will fir in the stingray opening. It has a commander that will mount over the esisting radio buttons or int he hole where the oem radio controller used to be. It was 129.00. It is cirris and xm ready and I pod ready. With an aux input with rca connectors. Gong to try to hook up the 6 disc changer to this aux input. Only worry is controlling the 6 disc changer with the new radio commander unit. If it does not work then I will just pull the 6 disc change out of the right pannier and it will be on here for sale. Also will sale the radio tank top controller. Going to lok at e-bay for a fair price to ask. AT any rate I will have a radio to listen to while ridding.

Thanks "airplane"
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 5:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplane
Thanks beemer 2 and Jackd I decided to get a Jensen Marine radio. The one with the am/fm/ amp built in to a seperate box that will fir in the stingray opening. It has a commander that will mount over the esisting radio buttons or int he hole where the oem radio controller used to be. It was 129.00. It is cirris and xm ready and I pod ready. With an aux input with rca connectors. Gong to try to hook up the 6 disc changer to this aux input. Only worry is controlling the 6 disc changer with the new radio commander unit. If it does not work then I will just pull the 6 disc change out of the right pannier and it will be on here for sale. Also will sale the radio tank top controller. Going to lok at e-bay for a fair price to ask. AT any rate I will have a radio to listen to while ridding.

Thanks "airplane"
I have the same problem with my 05 Lt. Went to the dealer and he said it sounds like the amp is bad and needs to be "rebuilt" for about $400 and to send it to Becker Autosound In NJ. ( Becker Autosound 101 US Hwy 46 W, 2nd floor saddle Brook NJ 07663 201-773-0926) . Anyway it sound like your on to something with the Jensen Marine Radio .If you can let me know how it goes with the Jensen please let me know and I'll duplicate it. I have the 6 CD changer as well.
94 Hon RX 100cc going strong
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

Jesus said I give you a new command "Love one another as I have Loved you". John 13;34 niv
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 9:54 pm

I had the same problem with a 2005 LT. The dealer said the amp was blown and the radio needed to be replaced. I appreciate your info on Becker Soundsystems. I'll get in touch with them and see if they can repair the one I have.

I am currently using a SENA headset with a direct plug into my Ipod. It works great, and I can even play the XM through the tuner on the Ipod. only problem is no music when using the intercom or phone and the volume needs to be manually adjusted when stopped in traffic, etc.

In case the radio cant be repaired, I'd like to know the model of the Jensen and where you purchased it. Thanks.
1988 GW1500
1982 CBX
1984 Hawk
1973 Honda 350
1972 Honda 200
...and an old mini bike I used to run in the apple orchard....
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 7:07 am

Hi all.

I have completed the Jensen Marine radio install. I removed the old radio/cd unit. I mounted the new unit in the stingray with the cables facing back so i could get to the reset button on the back of the unit ( if needed) without having to remove the tupper ware. I got the Jensen Marine radio from epal.com. The radio comes with a commander unit that I have mounted on top of the tank over the old radio control buttons. The new unit will not work with the 6 disc changer. Read on here in another radio post that the old radio used voltage to adjust the 6 disc changer and the Jensen radio uses data like a computer to adjust the volume and fade/balance settings. The new Jensen will not talk to the old 6 disc changer. I have removed the 6 disc changer to have more room in the right bag. If you do this install you will have to manually adjust the volume up and down while ridding and lower the volume when you come to a stop in traffic. The commander unit wire is long enough to reach the main unit under the stingray without having to use the 9ft extension cable that comes with he unit. The unit is i-pod and xm radio ready. Adapter cables can also be purchased through epal.com to plug in to the wires coming out of the back of the main radio unit. You will need to cut the old wire plug off of the end of the existing radio wire harness in side the water resistant compartment for the radio under the stingray. Then remove the rubber grommet on the right front side of the compartment to remove the old radio antenna coaxial cable. The old cable end will not plug into the new radio coaxial cable. Then you can reinstall the rubber grommet to help keep water out of the compartment. Then drill a hole in the compartment on the left side as close to the top of the bottom half of the compartment as you can. The position of the hole along the left side of the compartment can be determined by placing the new main radio unit in the compartment to determine where the end of the new coaxial plug for the antenna will lie when the installation is finished. Then stick the old coaxial cable coming from the antenna through the hole. Fill the hole with silicone sealant to keep water out of the compartment.
When finished the ends of the ipod cable and the xm cable can be left sticking out in to the top tank compartment opening for easy access. The rest of the wires can be turned back under the stingray cover and held out of the way with the old radio top mount bar. The new radio is 40 watts per channel and has good volume at highway speeds. The fm receiver works very well and picks up more channels than the radio on my 06 goldwing.

Later "Airplane"
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplane
Hi all.

I have completed the Jensen Marine radio install. I removed the old radio/cd unit. I mounted the new unit in the stingray with the cables facing back so i could get to the reset button on the back of the unit ( if needed) without having to remove the tupper ware. I got the Jensen Marine radio from epal.com.
Hey Airplane, just checked epal.com and it didn't seem to do with anything radio. Did you get the 2212 model? If so, that was an amazing price. Can you get me more info on the site, please?

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 5:59 am

I got the MSR 2007 model . I got it from www.shopePal.com. Now they are now 124.00 www.shopepal.com/ God luck with your install.

"Airplane"